Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The MAChelorette, AAC edition
Bookmark and Share
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
https://www.campuspressbox.com/2016/mach...rting-aac/

Few schools left out i feel should be included...

Buffalo-AAU accreditation and a solid hoops program. Solid TV market and a great Northeastern partner for UCONN if they are left in the AAC (double points if UMASS somehow gets in). Just need to get the football program back up to par, since that is what drives alignment

Ohio-very solid all around in most sports (the ones that matter anyway) and less attendance issues than most MAC schools. Geography makes them a great travel partner OR replacement for Cinci. Solid TV numbers too, not sure why they aren't talked about a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
08-06-2016 01:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
RE: The MAChelorette, AAC edition
(08-06-2016 01:40 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  https://www.campuspressbox.com/2016/mach...rting-aac/

Buffalo-AAU accreditation and a solid hoops program. Solid TV market and a great Northeastern partner for UCONN if they are left in the AAC (double points if UMASS somehow gets in). Just need to get the football program back up to par, since that is what drives alignment

Ohio-very solid all around in most sports (the ones that matter anyway) and less attendance issues than most MAC schools. Geography makes them a great travel partner OR replacement for Cinci. Solid TV numbers too, not sure why they aren't talked about a bit more.

Tell the idiot writer, Toledo has won the MAC's Institutional Academic Award 4 of the last 5 years. Rocket FB and Women's BB has the highest 4 year APR in the MAC. Men's BB is second to Ohio U.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2016 03:43 PM by Boca Rocket.)
08-06-2016 03:15 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(08-06-2016 03:15 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 01:40 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  https://www.campuspressbox.com/2016/mach...rting-aac/

Tell the idiot writer, Toledo has won the MAC's Institutional Academic Award 4 of the last 5 years. Rocket FB and Women's BB has the highest 4 year APR in the MAC. Men's BB in second to Ohio U.
I didnt write it boss, I'm just here to 05-stirthepot

08-06-2016 03:16 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
I'm not of those that actively roots for their school to move on but I agree with the OP that its odd that Ohio continues to be left out of these discussions.
08-06-2016 03:53 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(08-06-2016 03:53 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  I'm not of those that actively roots for their school to move on but I agree with the OP that its odd that Ohio continues to be left out of these discussions.
If it makes you feel better, Kittonhead does an admirable job pimping Ohio (and the MAC, actually) on most boards. He and I butt heads a lot but it's only because we're both passionate fans of our alma maters

08-06-2016 07:17 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Ten years ago Miami would be on the short list, my how times have changed.
08-06-2016 07:47 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
What I'm hearing FWIW is like CUSA 2.0 was expanding, MAC teams do not want to absorb the travel costs of AAC 2.0.

They are demanding travel buddies. Ohio won't do it unless Marshall or Toledo are invited for travel. The AAC doesn't really want Marshall or Toledo so its a non-starter.

I'd say odds of a MAC school moving are about 25% with NIU have the best odds because they are in the Central Time Zone. That is why WKU is high on the list from CUSA because of that time zone so they could play Tulsa, Tulane and SMU.

AAC could very well collapse. Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati out the door with UConn and Navy going independent. There is a lot of risk joining that dumpster fire, a risk only a CUSA school could take because CUSA is a worse situation.

The MAC will be fine even if loses a couple of schools. They can grab replacements from the MVC. The CFP and TV money is good enough to make it an automatic decision.
08-07-2016 12:09 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
The AAC should add Toledo and NIU - they're close enough to work as travel partners, but far enough apart as to not duplicate markets. If Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston leave:

West - NIU, Navy, Tulsa, Rice, SMU, Tulane
East - Toledo, UCF, USF, UConn, Temple, ECU

NIU and Toledo could be fixed cross-division rivals in football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-07-2016 02:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(08-07-2016 02:17 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  The AAC should add Toledo and NIU - they're close enough to work as travel partners, but far enough apart as to not duplicate markets. If Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston leave:

NIU can't be our rivals because they want it too badly. 03-wink
08-07-2016 06:46 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(08-07-2016 12:09 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  What I'm hearing FWIW is like CUSA 2.0 was expanding, MAC teams do not want to absorb the travel costs of AAC 2.0.

On the one hand, this could really blow a hole in your athletic budget. On the other, you get a rivalry game with Tulsa.
08-07-2016 09:43 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(08-07-2016 09:43 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 12:09 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  What I'm hearing FWIW is like CUSA 2.0 was expanding, MAC teams do not want to absorb the travel costs of AAC 2.0.

On the one hand, this could really blow a hole in your athletic budget. On the other, you get a rivalry game with Tulsa.

For an Ohio MAC school the difference is about 1.2 million in travel from the compact MAC geography to the AAC far flung. Plus you've more missed class time and flying around is rough on the student athlete. For Buffalo and NIU that travel difference isn't so much, maybe 1/2 the cost.

I'll throw out a scenario.

B12 (BYU, UH, UM, UC)
AAC (Buffalo, NIU, Toledo)

The MAC go back to just 10 in FB with Illinois State but 14 in hoops.

Illinois State
Valpo
Bradley
Loyola
Drake

That would create the A10 of the Midwest I've been talking about where all the serious mid major basketball is played in the MAC. Move the conference tournament as part of the deal to Chicago for recruiting.

Then the MAC would be just as good as the AAC in basketball without the travel costs associated. In FB the MAC could dump the Alabama bowls with a reduction to 10 teams. There is a bowl in St. Louis in the works pitting the MAC against ACC/B12 where the champ could be sent.
08-07-2016 10:38 AM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(08-07-2016 06:46 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 02:17 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  The AAC should add Toledo and NIU - they're close enough to work as travel partners, but far enough apart as to not duplicate markets. If Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston leave:

You're going to be our rival. And you're going to like it. 03-old
08-07-2016 03:37 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

03-lmfao
(08-07-2016 03:37 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

You're going to be our rival. And you're going to like it. 03-old

You caaaan't make us! You caaaan't make us!
08-07-2016 04:59 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent

The rival discussion kind of ended. Toledo needs to win a game for it even to be open for discussion. I don't mean that in any smart ass way
08-07-2016 05:04 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(08-07-2016 05:04 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

The rival discussion kind of ended. Toledo needs to win a game for it even to be open for discussion. I don't mean that in any smart ass way

That's why it was amusing after NIU finally won a game or two against an 11game losing streak and suddenly we were rivals. On the UT side it was never viewed as a rivalry.
08-07-2016 06:59 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Sadly football isn't the motivator for conferences. Market. Academics. All sports. Etc. factor in. If it was just football, Toledo and NIU might be in the Big10. Colorado might be in the MWC. NDSU would be in the MAC. Boise State would be in the PAC12.

No way the AAC likes Toledo's academics, or NIU in basketball enough to take either right now.
08-07-2016 07:09 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
NIU is basically a market grab anyway.

08-07-2016 08:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(08-07-2016 07:09 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Sadly football isn't the motivator for conferences. Market. Academics. All sports. Etc. factor in. If it was just football, Toledo and NIU might be in the Big10. Colorado might be in the MWC. NDSU would be in the MAC. Boise State would be in the PAC12.

No way the AAC likes Toledo's academics, or NIU in basketball enough to take either right now.

NIU Mens Basketball just had a 21-win season and saw post-season play in the Vegas 16....
08-07-2016 10:09 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(08-07-2016 10:09 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 07:09 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Sadly football isn't the motivator for conferences. Market. Academics. All sports. Etc. factor in. If it was just football, Toledo and NIU might be in the Big10. Colorado might be in the MWC. NDSU would be in the MAC. Boise State would be in the PAC12.

NIU Mens Basketball just had a 21-win season and saw post-season play in the Vegas 16....

Cool, we've had 5 consecutive above .500 seasons including 2014 where we won the league reg season title and had 27 wins. That's not the type of success UConn, UC, or Tulsa care's about right now. We haven't been to the dance since 1984. They want NCAA tourney teams. At least teams who have done it kind of recently. If you're not winning the 14th best conference, you're not good enough for basketball in the AAC.
Oh, and our women's team had more on their worst attended game than NIU's men average. Have you ever seen a UConn basketball game???
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2016 10:23 PM by UofToledoFans.)
08-07-2016 10:21 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(08-07-2016 10:21 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 10:09 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  

Cool, we've had 5 consecutive above .500 seasons including 2014 where we won the league reg season title and had 27 wins. That's not the type of success UConn, UC, or Tulsa care's about right now. We haven't been to the dance since 1984. They want NCAA tourney teams. At least teams who have done it kind of recently. If you're not winning the 14th best conference, you're not good enough for basketball in the AAC.
Oh, and our women's team had more on their worst attended game than NIU's men average. Have you ever seen a UConn basketball game???
It's a shame Toledo isn't in any solid metro DMA, like sayyyyy, the number 3 in the nation?

#AyyyyyyyMustBeTheMarket

08-07-2016 10:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.