Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

QB Ely to Iowa State
Bookmark and Share
San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: il Rockets
QB Ely to Iowa State
Campbell giving Ely another opportunity.

Interesting.

http://www.cyclones.com/coaches.aspx?rc=...h=football
08-06-2016 07:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: QB Ely to Iowa State
(08-06-2016 07:40 AM)San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Wrote:  Campbell giving Ely another opportunity.

Interesting.

Yea never know, but maybe he becomes our head coach some day.
08-06-2016 07:49 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-06-2016 07:49 AM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 07:40 AM)San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Wrote:  Campbell giving Ely another opportunity.

Interesting.

Yea never know, but maybe he becomes our head coach some day.

At least maybe an OC/QB Coach.
08-06-2016 08:29 AM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
He'll make a good coach. Too darned bad we didn't pick him up.
08-06-2016 10:10 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Campbell is stuck in a psychological rut. Wants to hire coaches from his old school/players from his old team. A recipe for disaster. Hope he enjoys his free time with Beckman in a few years.
08-06-2016 11:33 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(08-06-2016 11:33 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Campbell is stuck in a psychological rut. Wants to hire coaches from his old school/players from his old team. A recipe for disaster. Hope he enjoys his free time with Beckman in a few years.

Not going to lie, I wouldn't mind having Ely on our staff. Seems like a bright kid who certainly made the most of his time in midnight blue and gold. Hopefully his true allegiance lies with the Rockets.
08-06-2016 01:19 PM
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

Coaching defense? Interesting.
08-06-2016 01:55 PM
toledobigmike Offline
1st String

Seems to me Ely could be a great coach if that's where his heart is at. Toledo should follow his career with some interest since we have a fair amount of turnover here. He sounded pleased with his previous Toledo experience. Maybe one day he'll be back in some form. I wish him nothing but success.
08-06-2016 03:24 PM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

Phillip Ely has character and commitment. He was rock steady from the day he set foot on campus helping the Rockets to his full extend. Never a big head, it was always the team first. Fighting injuries to go out with an impressive win over Temple. It is a great opportunity for Phillip so, hats off to him and Matt Campbell.
08-06-2016 06:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

(08-06-2016 06:24 PM)NewMex RocketFan Wrote:  Phillip Ely has character and commitment. He was rock steady from the day he set foot on campus helping the Rockets to his full extend. Never a big head, it was always the team first. Fighting injuries to go out with an impressive win over Temple. It is a great opportunity for Phillip so, hats off to him and Matt Campbell.

Well put. Good luck Phillip.
08-07-2016 06:08 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(08-07-2016 06:08 PM)PTLROCK Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 06:24 PM)NewMex RocketFan Wrote:  Phillip Ely has character and commitment. He was rock steady from the day he set foot on campus helping the Rockets to his full extend. Never a big head, it was always the team first. Fighting injuries to go out with an impressive win over Temple. It is a great opportunity for Phillip so, hats off to him and Matt Campbell.

He's a great kid...very mature, humble guy. I know he was considering some professional football options overseas...glad to see he is remaining involved with the game. I wish him the best...
08-07-2016 07:05 PM
Advertisement

Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(08-06-2016 01:55 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Coaching defense? Interesting.

Remember, even though he played on offense, he was always studying defenses.

Likewise, defensive guys study offenses.
Campbell played DE but was an offensive coordinator.
Amstutz was a guard on the oline, but became a defensive coordinator.
Happens all the time.
08-08-2016 08:43 AM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(08-06-2016 10:10 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  He'll make a good coach. Too darned bad we didn't pick him up.

Was thinking the same thing. He would have great recruiting connections in Tampa. Seems like a missed opportunity.
08-08-2016 09:32 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

I get it... Ely already has the ISU player respect from competition and he can have some separation from current UT players to establish his own identity. Makes total sense to me. Plus he knows the staff intimately.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 11:10 AM by IamN2daRockets!.)
08-08-2016 10:50 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Not at all a bad way to start a career. From what little can be read about him as a person, maybe Canada would be an option but flirting around Europe or trying to catch on with a developmental league versus getting it started in coaching? Seems like he chose the direction in which he could do the most good and develop a career. Here, there or Alabama, wish him the best.
08-08-2016 04:24 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-06-2016 01:55 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Coaching defense? Interesting.

Actually it kind of makes sense. The reason he was able to get rid of the ball so quickly is that he spent extensive time in the film room studying defenses and was very good a getting a defensive read before the snap and adjusting accordingly.

If you know how to read defenses, then you probably also know what it takes to disguise them.
08-08-2016 08:58 PM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-07-2016 07:05 PM)TampaRocket Wrote:  

He's a great kid...very mature, humble guy. I know he was considering some professional football options overseas...glad to see he is remaining involved with the game. I wish him the best...

...Except for helping to recruit Rocket prospects out of Florida for ISU, particularly the Tampa/St Pete area.
08-09-2016 07:29 AM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(08-09-2016 07:29 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

...Except for helping to recruit Rocket prospects out of Florida for ISU, particularly the Tampa/St Pete area.

True...didn't think of that.
08-09-2016 09:48 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(08-09-2016 09:48 PM)TampaRocket Wrote:  

Probably trying to steal that Barry kid out of Plant High School from Toledo in 4 years............... 05-nono
08-10-2016 06:41 AM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(08-10-2016 06:41 AM)Terry Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 09:48 PM)TampaRocket Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 06:08 PM)PTLROCK Wrote:  Well put. Good luck Phillip.

Probably trying to steal that Barry kid out of Plant High School from Toledo in 4 years............... 05-nono

Ha...Not a chance. That kids dad would never allow it.
He's finally strapping it on this year...put baseball on the back burner to give football a shot this summer. He definitely needs to put some weight on, but is running with 1's at WR on the JV as a FR. I'm selfishly wanting him to grow out of that position and get in a 3 point stance...TE or DE.
08-10-2016 07:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.