Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ninja Swofford?
krux Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
Ninja Swofford?
I must admit it might be the dabs but I got to thinking...what if there is a big move in the works for the ACC? I just read the Forde article about the possibility of a P4 end game and while I don't agree with his final destinations, he is quite connected so this could be legit smoke. There's also the recent news that no expansion candidate in the Big 12 has the required 8 votes to get in. Could that be because current members are sending out feelers?

Anyway, could the network and GOR announcement be the first move in luring a big fish from the Big 12 away? Or maybe even pulling PSU away from the Big 10 and allowing them to backfill with OU, UT and KU? Maybe we're thinking about going off cuff and are looking at someone like TCU (we know they're willing to move lol)?
08-03-2016 09:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
RE: Ninja Swofford?
Yes. All of the B12 members are talking to other conferences. Since the B12 bylaws require schools to notify the conference if they do, it is all being done through third parties. There is less attention that way but it does slow down the process.

I don't see PSU leaving the B1G. I don't see the value in TCU by themselves.

I do think the ACC is holding that last spot for a big name.
08-03-2016 10:31 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(08-03-2016 09:53 PM)krux Wrote:  I must admit it might be the dabs but I got to thinking...what if there is a big move in the works for the ACC? I just read the Forde article about the possibility of a P4 end game and while I don't agree with his final destinations, he is quite connected so this could be legit smoke. There's also the recent news that no expansion candidate in the Big 12 has the required 8 votes to get in. Could that be because current members are sending out feelers?

Anyway, could the network and GOR announcement be the first move in luring a big fish from the Big 12 away? Or maybe even pulling PSU away from the Big 10 and allowing them to backfill with OU, UT and KU? Maybe we're thinking about going off cuff and are looking at someone like TCU (we know they're willing to move lol)?

To my mind, the most realistic expansion candidate for the ACC remains WVU. But I think the ACC remains as is in the hopes that ND will eventually join - which I used to think would happen but as of a couple of years ago I waived the white flag to TerryD that it isn't going to - at least not in my lifetime.

Cheers,
Neil
08-03-2016 11:47 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(08-03-2016 11:47 PM)omniorange Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 09:53 PM)krux Wrote:  I must admit it might be the dabs but I got to thinking...what if there is a big move in the works for the ACC? I just read the Forde article about the possibility of a P4 end game and while I don't agree with his final destinations, he is quite connected so this could be legit smoke. There's also the recent news that no expansion candidate in the Big 12 has the required 8 votes to get in. Could that be because current members are sending out feelers?

To my mind, the most realistic expansion candidate for the ACC remains WVU. But I think the ACC remains as is in the hopes that ND will eventually join - which I used to think would happen but as of a couple of years ago I waived the white flag to TerryD that it isn't going to - at least not in my lifetime.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil, it looks like Notre Dame is "safe" for another 20 years or so.
I think you are correct in that West Virginia would b the most logical choice for the ACC. It ties the old ACC and old Big East schools together geographically and some what culturally (the fan behavior and couch burning not withstanding).
I still contend that when Texas decides where they want to go, if at all, all of the other realignment pieces will fall neatly into place.
08-04-2016 07:17 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

What Forde article? Could you share a link?
08-04-2016 08:59 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(08-04-2016 07:17 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

I think you are correct in that West Virginia would b the most logical choice for the ACC. It ties the old ACC and old Big East schools together geographically and some what culturally (the fan behavior and couch burning not withstanding).
I still contend that when Texas decides where they want to go, if at all, all of the other realignment pieces will fall neatly into place.

What was our bet, Lance?
08-04-2016 10:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2016 10:33 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

What was our bet, Lance?

It ain't over until it's over.........
08-04-2016 10:53 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(08-04-2016 10:53 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

What was our bet, Lance?

Damn, X... I will be 79 years old in 2036. Maybe you can pay the bet to my grandchildren?
08-04-2016 11:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2016 11:03 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(08-04-2016 10:53 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 11:47 PM)omniorange Wrote:  To my mind, the most realistic expansion candidate for the ACC remains WVU. But I think the ACC remains as is in the hopes that ND will eventually join - which I used to think would happen but as of a couple of years ago I waived the white flag to TerryD that it isn't going to - at least not in my lifetime.

Cheers,
Neil

What was our bet, Lance?

Damn, X... I will be 79 years old in 2036. Maybe you can pay the bet to my grandchildren?

03-lmfao I'll be 87.
Tell you what Terry, I'll drive up to Mouth of Wilson, we'll share some good whiskey and try to remember what the stakes were.
08-04-2016 12:00 PM
CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I would be interesting in knowing if The ACC has spoken with anyone in The Big 12. I would think any discussion at this point is probably between third party reps but none the less it would be interesting to know whom, if anyone, The ACC has targeted.

I can't imagine The ACC targeting a small market program that "doesn't move the needle" like WVU when Texas or Oklahoma might be on the table.
CJ
08-04-2016 12:04 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

(08-04-2016 07:17 AM)XLance Wrote:  I still contend that when Texas decides where they want to go, if at all, all of the other realignment pieces will fall neatly into place.

I completely agree. No other P5 conference will do anything until Texas figures out what it wants to do since Texas could legitimately go to any of them. In the ACC's case, it would be for a Notre Dame-type independence deal. It all depends on what its goals are.

(08-03-2016 10:31 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  I don't see the value in TCU by themselves.
If Texas went to the SEC, P12 or B1G, expansion into the State of Texas may still make sense for the ACC. At that point, the Big 12 would be in shambles. TCU would bring the Dallas TV market, which would be very valuable for the ACCN, in addition to being one of the best football recruiting markets in the country.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2016 12:31 PM by orangefan.)
08-04-2016 12:26 PM
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(08-04-2016 12:04 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I would be interesting in knowing if The ACC has spoken with anyone in The Big 12. I would think any discussion at this point is probably between third party reps but none the less it would be interesting to know whom, if anyone, The ACC has targeted.

I can't imagine The ACC targeting a small market program that "doesn't move the needle" like WVU when Texas or Oklahoma might be on the table.
CJ

Funny hat people talked to Texas in a serious manner beginning several years back, 10/11 iirc. In each major phase of expansion the committee system is in charge. Funny hats then and now are needed because funny hats are private. The days of UNC, NC State, VT, and other public folk doing the skullduggery are over due to FOI.

If you put your thinking cap on you readily figure out how the ACC would talk to Texas using what appeared to be a third party in a funny hat.

But for those talking WVa, UVa, Duke, WF, and GT will want something concrete in return to agree to that and I don't know what Pitt's temperature is on them and VT has had too much change for me to keep up with their thoughts.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2016 12:51 PM by lumberpack4.)
08-04-2016 12:50 PM
Mr. Derfman Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Power Football
I definitely think the ACC is going to expand by the time the network channel is up and running. I'm also guessing that the ACC is going to 20 teams (4x5). Why? So ESPN can have control of the eastern seaboard and the south with some stake in major points in BIG 10 Country (Chicago and Ohio). INVENTERY! I'll let everyone else debate the schools, but the move 20 game season for basketball spoke volumes!
That how the Ninja is going to ride into the sunset. All past mistakes forgiven!
08-04-2016 12:51 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(08-04-2016 12:51 PM)Mr. Derfman Wrote:  I definitely think the ACC is going to expand by the time the network channel is up and running. I'm also guessing that the ACC is going to 20 teams (4x5). Why? So ESPN can have control of the eastern seaboard and the south with some stake in major points in BIG 10 Country (Chicago and Ohio). INVENTERY! I'll let everyone else debate the schools, but the move 20 game season for basketball spoke volumes!
That how the Ninja is going to ride into the sunset. All past mistakes forgiven!

Ugh! One thing I hope never happens is expansion to 20 teams. 14, 15, or 16 are my upper limit range. I actually prefer 15 or 16 over 14 if the two divisions rule ever goes away.

Cheers,
Neil
08-05-2016 12:19 AM
wrigley2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: GT
(08-04-2016 12:50 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(08-04-2016 12:04 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I would be interesting in knowing if The ACC has spoken with anyone in The Big 12. I would think any discussion at this point is probably between third party reps but none the less it would be interesting to know whom, if anyone, The ACC has targeted.

CJ

Funny hat people talked to Texas in a serious manner beginning several years back, 10/11 iirc. In each major phase of expansion the committee system is in charge. Funny hats then and now are needed because funny hats are private. The days of UNC, NC State, VT, and other public folk doing the skullduggery are over due to FOI.

If you put your thinking cap on you readily figure out how the ACC would talk to Texas using what appeared to be a third party in a funny hat.

But for those talking WVa, UVa, Duke, WF, and GT will want something concrete in return to agree to that and I don't know what Pitt's temperature is on them and VT has had too much change for me to keep up with their thoughts.

If you go by letting ND choose the 16th... I don't know, if you look at the map KU and ISU are as close as UT. I guess ND has a close relationship with UT but KU would be good and I thought I heard about ISU having a GREAT TV market.
08-05-2016 09:57 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-05-2016 09:57 AM)wrigley2 Wrote:  ...I thought I heard about ISU having a GREAT TV market.

03-lmfao
08-05-2016 10:23 AM
Advertisement

wrigley2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: GT
(08-05-2016 10:23 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 09:57 AM)wrigley2 Wrote:  ...I thought I heard about ISU having a GREAT TV market.

03-lmfao

I thought it was on this board from one of the Syracuse guys talking about the ISU market. Not worth much to B1G but important for the B12 and anyone else.
08-05-2016 11:01 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-05-2016 11:01 AM)wrigley2 Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 10:23 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

03-lmfao

I thought it was on this board from one of the Syracuse guys talking about the ISU market. Not worth much to B1G but important for the B12 and anyone else.

Oh, I'm sure you did. Trust me, I'm not laughing at you...
08-05-2016 11:37 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
WF would probably be involved in talking to Texas. They always seem to be a player in these deals.

(08-04-2016 12:50 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  

CJ

08-05-2016 11:39 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(08-05-2016 11:39 AM)ren.hoek Wrote:  WF would probably be involved in talking to Texas. They always seem to be a player in these deals.

I thought "funny hat" was code for Wake.

Cheers,
Neil
08-05-2016 12:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.