Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNC Wants To Fight
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
UNC Wants To Fight
UNC has filed its response with the NCAA. They're saying it's all academic and the NCAA has no business doing anything about it. They think they should skate.

But maybe they're still negotiating:
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 6m6 minutes ago

UNC AD Bubba Cunningham says in response to Q on self-imposed penalties:"in this case we're not there yet on self imposing any penalties."
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2016 01:28 PM by Hallcity.)
08-02-2016 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: UNC Wants To Fight
(08-02-2016 12:55 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  UNC has filed its response with the NCAA. They're saying it's all academic and the NCAA has no business doing anything about it. They think they should skate.

UNC AD Bubba Cunningham says in response to Q on self-imposed penalties:"in this case we're not there yet on self imposing any penalties."

Good for Bubba......what a stupid question.

Not only is the question stupid, but Carolina is disputing the basis for the allegations;
http://www.scout.com/college/north-carol...llegations
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2016 02:01 PM by XLance.)
08-02-2016 01:34 PM
Cody6003 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisville
(08-02-2016 01:34 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 12:55 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  UNC has filed its response with the NCAA. They're saying it's all academic and the NCAA has no business doing anything about it. They think they should skate.

Not only is the question stupid, but Carolina is disputing the basis for the allegations;

If UNC can pull this off then they have provided a guide on how to get any student athlete eligible even if he can't even read or write their name.
08-02-2016 10:09 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Too bad they didn't put up this much fight against Baylor in the Russell Athletic Bowl... 07-coffee3
08-02-2016 10:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-02-2016 10:24 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Too bad they didn't put up this much fight against Baylor in the Russell Athletic Bowl... 07-coffee3

In a conversation with a defensive coach at Carolina last week, he said "Baylor was the best team we played last year".
08-03-2016 07:10 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-02-2016 10:09 PM)Cody6003 Wrote:  

If UNC can pull this off then they have provided a guide on how to get any student athlete eligible even if he can't even read or write their name.

Exactly. This is a bold move but it indicates they have no choice but to play this hand. They must be guilty af. I understand it's academic, but if you had 20 years worth of fraudulent academics in order to create players eligible for NCAA competition, I don't know how you can draw that line and say it stops at academics. Hopefully this is resolved quickly.
08-03-2016 07:24 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2016 07:24 AM)L-yes Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 10:09 PM)Cody6003 Wrote:  

Exactly. This is a bold move but it indicates they have no choice but to play this hand. They must be guilty af. I understand it's academic, but if you had 20 years worth of fraudulent academics in order to create players eligible for NCAA competition, I don't know how you can draw that line and say it stops at academics. Hopefully this is resolved quickly.

Nope, just new leadership at the top that came in from outside, reviewed the situation and realized how ridiculous the entire situation had been.
The only thing that Carolina deserves from the NCAA is an apology.
08-03-2016 07:37 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2016 07:37 AM)XLance Wrote:  The only thing that Carolina deserves from the NCAA is an apology.

TBH, what UNC deserves is to lose its academic accreditation. Of course, that won't happen. Nonetheless, this was clearly an unfair advantage to the program, so I wouldn't have any problem with NCAA sanctions if they decide to enforce them. Maybe even have the ACC tack on extra sanctions... 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2016 08:32 AM by Hokie Mark.)
08-03-2016 08:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

UNC Wants To Fight
(08-03-2016 08:11 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 07:37 AM)XLance Wrote:  The only thing that Carolina deserves from the NCAA is an apology.

TBH, what UNC deserves is to lose its academic acreditation. Of course, that won't happen. Nonetheless, this was clearly an unfair advantage to the program, so I wouldn't have any problem with NCAA sanctions if they decide to enforce them. Maybe even have the ACC tack on extra sanctions... 05-stirthepot

I agree & to say that the NCAA owes NC an apology is delusional. NC is guilty & the NCAA will only come down harder on them.
08-03-2016 08:23 AM
Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
You guys seem to forget that the NCAA jurisdiction is athletics and not academics. It is in their freaking bylaws and the charges are well passed the NCAA's own statue of limitations. What was it 4 years? Xlance is correct and apology is warranted. By the way, the accreditation organization placed UNC on probation last year and we meet all requirements to right whatever wrongs that occurred. As a result of meeting their demands, no further punishment was issued. The probation period ended in June. Guys, don't be like the tin foil hat group know as PackPride.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2016 08:41 AM by Indytarheel.)
08-03-2016 08:40 AM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc

TBH, what UNC deserves is to lose its academic accreditation. Of course, that won't happen. Nonetheless, this was clearly an unfair advantage to the program, so I wouldn't have any problem with NCAA sanctions if they decide to enforce them. Maybe even have the ACC tack on extra sanctions... 05-stirthepot

UNC did receive probation but I think the classes in question are still considered valid
& that's where this case could get interesting.
08-03-2016 08:58 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2016 08:58 AM)mj4life Wrote:  

UNC did receive probation but I think the classes in question are still considered valid

The probation was for improper benefits (Butch Davis/John Blake) for the football team and had nothing to do with AFAM.
08-03-2016 09:02 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

Chapel Hill Community College has a nice ring to it... 03-lmfao
08-03-2016 09:23 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

UNC Wants To Fight
(08-03-2016 08:40 AM)Indytarheel Wrote:  You guys seem to forget that the NCAA jurisdiction is athletics and not academics. It is in their freaking bylaws and the charges are well passed the NCAA's own statue of limitations. What was it 4 years? Xlance is correct and apology is warranted. By the way, the accreditation organization placed UNC on probation last year and we meet all requirements to right whatever wrongs that occurred. As a result of meeting their demands, no further punishment was issued. The probation period ended in June. Guys, don't be like the tin foil hat group know as PackPride.

This does involve athletics. A fake class was invented to help keep athletes eligible. Let's be honest, that's cheating. It is true that non athletes were also taking the class which brought in the accreditation into questioning. It is delusional to say that the NCAA owes NC an apology for investigating the claims. I'm saying that NC response doesn't have some merit but it doesn't change the FACT that NC is guilty. I'm not clear on the NCAA rules on the statute of limitations but I can't believe that intentionally dragging an investigation out for so long means that you get to skate. The death penalty isn't warranted here, IMO, but a post season ban for basketball & football is. Take away a minimal number of scholarships from all sports involved & put NC on probation for a few years & call it resolved.
08-03-2016 09:38 AM
mj4life Offline
1st String

Like I said earlier this case could get real interesting. Not only do you the issue of whether the NCAA has the authority to dictate which classes are legal but also whether or nit you can punish a program without directly charging them with a offense. Then their's the 3 years of correspondence between themselves & UNC that they chose not to act on until the Wannestein report. I'm fairly confident that if the NCAA wants to use that report as their basis of punishment then this is headed to court
08-03-2016 09:59 AM
mj4life Offline
1st String

(08-03-2016 09:02 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 08:58 AM)mj4life Wrote:  

I meant probabtiin by it accreditating agency
The probation was for improper benefits (Butch Davis/John Blake) for the football team and had nothing to do with AFAM.
08-03-2016 10:29 AM
Advertisement

Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

(08-03-2016 09:38 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 08:40 AM)Indytarheel Wrote:  You guys seem to forget that the NCAA jurisdiction is athletics and not academics. It is in their freaking bylaws and the charges are well passed the NCAA's own statue of limitations. What was it 4 years? Xlance is correct and apology is warranted. By the way, the accreditation organization placed UNC on probation last year and we meet all requirements to right whatever wrongs that occurred. As a result of meeting their demands, no further punishment was issued. The probation period ended in June. Guys, don't be like the tin foil hat group know as PackPride.

This does involve athletics. A fake class was invented to help keep athletes eligible. Let's be honest, that's cheating. It is true that non athletes were also taking the class which brought in the accreditation into questioning. It is delusional to say that the NCAA owes NC an apology for investigating the claims. I'm saying that NC response doesn't have some merit but it doesn't change the FACT that NC is guilty. I'm not clear on the NCAA rules on the statute of limitations but I can't believe that intentionally dragging an investigation out for so long means that you get to skate. The death penalty isn't warranted here, IMO, but a post season ban for basketball & football is. Take away a minimal number of scholarships from all sports involved & put NC on probation for a few years & call it resolved.

And there is the problem. I suggest you look at Unverified or actually read the actual 7 investigations. The false narrative was parroted so much that people believed it. There was no fake classes. The grading in that class was extremely lenient. You have no clue to what you are talking about for if you did, you would no that it wasn't an athletic issue.
08-03-2016 11:01 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: UNC Wants To Fight
(08-03-2016 11:01 AM)Indytarheel Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 09:38 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

And there is the problem. I suggest you look at Unverified or actually read the actual 7 investigations. The false narrative was parroted so much that people believed it. There was no fake classes. The grading in that class was extremely lenient. You have no clue to what you are talking about for if you did, you would no that it wasn't an athletic issue.

Were players encouraged to take those "lenient" classes? What was the ratio of athletes to non-athletes? How does that compare to the rest of the school?
08-03-2016 11:57 AM
samandrea Offline
Special Teams

Such hate from our dear conference mates! Come on guys, don't hate the playa .... you know the rest!
08-03-2016 12:04 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2016 12:04 PM)samandrea Wrote:  Such hate from our dear conference mates! Come on guys, don't hate the playa .... you know the rest!

Then stop lying to your conference mates! Don't tell the rest of the ACC how have high the academic standards are at UNC, then secretly let just about anybody play...
08-03-2016 12:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.