Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dumping Cold Water On Your Expansion Fantasies
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
From Sports Business Daily:

Quote:The Big 12’s TV partners are pushing back on the conference’s plans to expand.

ESPN and Fox Sports believe that expansion with schools from outside the power five conferences will water down the Big 12 and make it less valuable, not more, sources said. ...
08-01-2016 09:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
RE: Dumping Cold Water On Your Expansion Fantasies
it would be hilarious if the networks agreed to pay them more to not expand.

03-rotfl

(08-01-2016 09:59 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  From Sports Business Daily:

Quote:The Big 12’s TV partners are pushing back on the conference’s plans to expand.

ESPN and Fox Sports believe that expansion with schools from outside the power five conferences will water down the Big 12 and make it less valuable, not more, sources said. ...
08-01-2016 10:12 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Perhaps a compromise for 2 football only members?
08-01-2016 10:27 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
It is going to happen, this why the contract posturing has started. The announcement and press conference will soon happen. 07-coffee3
08-01-2016 10:44 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

..yet expect Wilkie and others to chime in and tout the "market attractiveness" of Cincinnati...

And to think somma y'all want the ACC to expand with those same G5 options.

Quote:Christ almighty, it's like I'm sittin' here playing cards talking expansion with my brother's kids or somethin'...

03-rotfl
08-01-2016 11:02 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-01-2016 10:27 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Perhaps a compromise for 2 football only members?

It's possible ESPN and Fox offer to renegotiate the Big XII TV contract with just the 10 teams, increasing the payout in exchange for
- removing the "pro rata increase clause"
- extending the length of the contract (and the GoR)

That would effectively kill Big XII expansion - and stabilize the league again.
08-01-2016 11:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
Another option would be to go along with the increases now and not support the Big 12 in 2025, when the grant of rights and the TV deals expire.

The above is what would be most damaging to the B12. If that happens, the B12 will go out the way of the BE.
08-01-2016 11:58 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

(08-01-2016 11:54 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 10:27 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Perhaps a compromise for 2 football only members?

It's possible ESPN and Fox offer to renegotiate the Big XII TV contract with just the 10 teams, increasing the payout in exchange for
- removing the "pro rata increase clause"
- extending the length of the contract (and the GoR)

That would effectively kill Big XII expansion - and stabilize the league again.

You're assuming Texas would go along with that plan...
08-01-2016 12:36 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Pac12 is taking note of all this.
08-01-2016 12:46 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
I am not a lawyer so I'm gonna put this question out there to our friends in the legal profession. Would the networks have a chance at all in challenging the payouts by saying that the conference expansion with G5 Schools would violate the spirit of the original contract. Or would the courts just point to the contract and tell the networks they are legally obligated.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2016 03:49 PM by texasorange.)
08-01-2016 03:47 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

My god. This BBS system is the home of the hopefuls. This will be ground zero of an epic meltdown if the B12 reverses course.

I was as surprised as anyone that they knee-jerked with their announcement. But this is a knee-jerk kind of outcome.
08-01-2016 04:08 PM
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-01-2016 10:44 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  It is going to happen, this why the contract posturing has started. The announcement and press conference will soon happen. 07-coffee3

Wilkie, you've been running around making proclamations on this for the last ten days. Unfortunately you've hitched your wagon to something you have no control over. Don't be the Dude of WVU. Those guys are pathetic arses.
08-01-2016 04:10 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-01-2016 11:02 AM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  

..yet expect Wilkie and others to chime in and tout the "market attractiveness" of Cincinnati...

Quote:Christ almighty, it's like I'm sittin' here playing cards talking expansion with my brother's kids or somethin'...

03-rotfl

I like Wilkie, he's an old timer and a nice guy but nostalgia has clouded his brain and wishful thinking tends to make things certainties with him.
08-01-2016 04:11 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-01-2016 03:47 PM)texasorange Wrote:  I am not a lawyer so I'm gonna put this question out there to our friends in the legal profession. Would the networks have a chance at all in challenging the payouts by saying that the conference expansion with G5 Schools would violate the spirit of the original contract. Or would the courts just point to the contract and tell the networks they are legally obligated.

Everything is negotiable. If it's a cash grab, which is what the networks are plainly stating it is, the conference is DOA when the GOR expires. The alternative is as someone else suggested, a bump to maintain the current potency of the league and remove the absurd pro-rata language with a contract addendum. Why in the hell the networks agreed to that if it is unqualified is beyond me.
08-01-2016 04:14 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

(08-01-2016 04:14 PM)L-yes Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 03:47 PM)texasorange Wrote:  I am not a lawyer so I'm gonna put this question out there to our friends in the legal profession. Would the networks have a chance at all in challenging the payouts by saying that the conference expansion with G5 Schools would violate the spirit of the original contract. Or would the courts just point to the contract and tell the networks they are legally obligated.

Everything is negotiable. If it's a cash grab, which is what the networks are plainly stating it is, the conference is DOA when the GOR expires. The alternative is as someone else suggested, a bump to maintain the current potency of the league and remove the absurd pro-rata language with a contract addendum. Why in the hell the networks agreed to that if it is unqualified is beyond me.

Texas and Oklahoma
08-01-2016 04:17 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-01-2016 04:17 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 04:14 PM)L-yes Wrote:  

Texas and Oklahoma

What about them? You say that you'll pay an additional 30 million per school no matter who the school is because "texas and oklahoma"? Wat?
08-01-2016 04:20 PM
Advertisement

colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy

03-rotfl

Are you suggesting, in a roundabout way, that the ACC should dump its recent G5 acquisitions -- Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville?
08-02-2016 01:32 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

(08-02-2016 01:32 PM)colohank Wrote:  

03-rotfl

Are you suggesting, in a roundabout way, that the ACC should dump its recent G5 acquisitions -- Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville?

No. Are you?
08-02-2016 01:34 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

03-rotfl

Syracuse and Pitt were never G5 dude. They always played at the highest level of fb. Are you even serious? Let me put it this way for you: When SU and Pitt came to the ACC, its tv partner increased the conference payout significantly. The Big12 is talking about inviting Cincy and its other G5 cohorts and the networks dont want to pay anything else. Thats the difference between programs that have always played at the highest level and G5's
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2016 02:37 PM by cuseroc.)
08-02-2016 02:33 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(08-02-2016 02:33 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

03-rotfl

Syracuse and Pitt were never G5 dude. They always played at the highest level of fb. Are you even serious?

Maybe Pitt but Syracuse... Lol jk 05-stirthepot
08-02-2016 02:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.