Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question - How many teams does it take for the AAC to dissolve?
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I know for the Big 12 it is a super majority. Is it a super majority as well for the AAC or simple? Since there are only 11 teams for all sports. Does Navy even get a vote?

This is unlikely scenario, but may be a possible scenario.

Big 12 takes three
Cinci
Memphis
Houston

Big East offers Olympic with MAC giving Football home
UCONN
Maybe Temple as well.

MWC offers
SMU
Tulsa

You have a 6-5 vote if Navy has no say. If Navy has a vote, 7-5 with Temple included.

UCONN, USF and CINCY keep their money.
No exit fees for any members.
No 27 Month window.

Pushes to football independent or they have to form a new G5 conference.
Navy
ECU
TULANE
UCF
USF

Granted, I think I have more chance of hitting the power ball but is this even a feasible scenario?
07-29-2016 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Question - How many teams does it take for the AAC to dissolve?
1) SMU and Tulsa are not paying $10 million bucks a piece to go to the MWC
2) The remaining 9 are not going to miss the exit fee windfall by dissolving the conference
3) No
07-29-2016 11:04 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(07-29-2016 11:04 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  1) SMU and Tulsa are not paying $10 million bucks a piece to go to the MWC
2) The remaining 9 are not going to miss the exit fee windfall by dissolving the conference
3) No

I read that is was $10 million and 27 months notice or negotiate a higher fee if less than 27 months - is that correct?

I could see the AAC making out handsomely if that is correct as the teams invited to the B12 won't want to wait that long.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2016 11:09 AM by rokamortis.)
07-29-2016 11:08 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
@NBPirate, you do understand dissolution means no exit fees? The contracts become null and void. If the number is 6, you only need 3 Judases UCONN is already interested in moving to the BE. I am not sure it would be hard find two more.
07-29-2016 11:45 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
The teams not going to a better situation have zero reason to vote to dissolve. For one, just due to the hassles, they probably keep their TV contract until it expsires. Two they get exit fees. Three they get what, if anything, is left of "the war chest" and NCAA credits still due. they just don't have a reason to vote to dissolve. Especially since you are talking about 8 or even 9 teams without a real (better) place to go
07-29-2016 11:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I would have to disagree for Temple and UCONN as to the Big East. Big East already makes more than the AAC in TV money and Fox would love to have them. The real question does Tulsa and SMU panic if Temple and UCONN explore this option? As I stated prior, I think I have a better chance hitting the power ball than this happening. However if it does, I may finally buy a power ball ticket. 04-cheers
07-29-2016 12:12 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-29-2016 11:04 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  1) SMU and Tulsa are not paying $10 million bucks a piece to go to the MWC
3) No

Yup. I don't think the exiting schools would do that even if all the realignment in the OP actually played out. Too much liability if the exiting schools were to be sued down the road. The existing schools might use the threat of dissolving the conference for leverage in negotiating down the exit fees---but they wouldn't destroy the conference and screw over conference mates by disbanding the conference via a vote. They would leave the shell behind so the remaining members could rebuild and still have auto-bids and access to the CFP money.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2016 12:42 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-29-2016 12:40 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
(07-29-2016 11:45 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  @NBPirate, you do understand dissolution means no exit fees? The contracts become null and void. If the number is 6, you only need 3 Judases UCONN is already interested in moving to the BE. I am not sure it would be hard find two more.

Idaho & NMSU kept inviting crap schools into the WAC to keep it afloat and kept collecting exit fees from all the departing members. I'm sure for $10 million apiece whatever is left of the AAC would do the same thing.
07-29-2016 12:44 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
It wouldn't surprise me if Navy's deal with the AAC is better than what Notre Dame had with the Big East and now has with the ACC. It's probably so good that they might not have to pay much, if at all, if they decide to leave. That's how badly the AAC wanted them (all those years), and that might be what comes with football-only affiliation.
07-29-2016 12:49 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Its difficult to see the AAC going under right now with the high exit fees and almost unrestrained ability to select a MAC, CUSA, SBC, A10 or MVC school of their choosing.

The question is at what point do the TV partners say okay thats enough you are out of business?

The AAC TV contract is good through 2019-20. If the mass changes happen for the 2017 they could cut it. If not until 2018 its less likely.
07-29-2016 01:39 PM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
Don't assume that the AAC is operating under the 2011 Big East bylaws. They've had 3-4 years to write ones that aren't organized around maintaining a balance of power between I-A and Non-I-A schools.

That said, I don't think dissolving the conference is a thing that anyone is looking at. The schools that get Big 12 golden tickets will gladly pay the $10M, and the rest can't afford the bad blood involved in screwing the schools left behind.
07-29-2016 04:14 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
It takes a 75% yes vote to dissolve the conference. Your answer is 8 votes. 04-cheers
07-29-2016 09:37 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The AAC is not going anywhere. The will either stay at 10 or go back to 12. either way with the exit money coming in they will remain the richest of the G5.
Odds are after TV is done at worse they will stay flat with now. with 10 to 40 mil extra to split among the left over schools.
07-30-2016 09:18 AM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(07-29-2016 09:37 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  It takes a 75% yes vote to dissolve the conference. Your answer is 8 votes. 04-cheers

If it takes 75%, then the answer is 9 votes (regardless whether 11 schools get a vote or all 12).

That's assuming the vote is taken before anybody leaves.
07-30-2016 10:05 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(07-30-2016 09:18 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  The AAC is not going anywhere. The will either stay at 10 or go back to 12. either way with the exit money coming in they will remain the richest of the G5.
Odds are after TV is done at worse they will stay flat with now. with 10 to 40 mil extra to split among the left over schools.

$40 million to split among 8 schools is $5 million per team, not per year, but one time. That's nice, no doubt, but doesn't go very far these days.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2016 10:10 AM by quo vadis.)
07-30-2016 10:09 AM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(07-30-2016 10:05 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(07-29-2016 09:37 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  It takes a 75% yes vote to dissolve the conference. Your answer is 8 votes. 04-cheers

If it takes 75%, then the answer is 9 votes (regardless whether 11 schools get a vote or all 12).

That's assuming the vote is taken before anybody leaves.

If you accept an invitation to the Big12, I assume you do not get a vote ? That would be crazy because of course it would be in your best interest to dissolve the league and pay no exit fee
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2016 10:10 AM by ShoreBuc.)
07-30-2016 10:10 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-30-2016 10:09 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(07-30-2016 09:18 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  The AAC is not going anywhere. The will either stay at 10 or go back to 12. either way with the exit money coming in they will remain the richest of the G5.

$40 million to split among 8 schools is $5 million per team, not per year, but one time. That's nice, no doubt, but doesn't go very far these days.

The annual per school tv contract payout in CUSA is $200K. So, 5 million distributed over say the next 5 years is roughly getting 5 CUSA TV payouts a year for half a decade. It's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

However, my choice would be to use that money to pay the exit fees and entry fee of MW teams. I'd make it very easy for A group of 7 MW teams to join the AAC as a package.
07-30-2016 12:03 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
If 7 MW schools go to the AAC, then perhaps C-USA downsizes and keeps the MW afloat:

MW Western:
Hawaii
San Jose State
Nevada
Utah State
Wyoming

MW Southern:
New Mexico State
UTEP
Rice
UTSA
North Texas

CUSA West:
Louisiana Tech
Southern Miss
UAB
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee

CUSA East:
Marshall
Charlotte
Old Dominion
Florida Atlantic
Florida International

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-30-2016 11:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.