CAA TV Deal expires after this season
Bookmark and Share
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
http://www.dnronline.com/sports/caa-eyes...a5ece.html

Found this on the JMU Board.

Looks like we are going back to ESPN for our small package of national games. The new commish bascially said NBCSN is out. I do wonder how the Comcast SportsNets will fit in, they have been a good partner. It will be nice to have the CAA on the WATCHESPN app and ESPN3
07-28-2016 02:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: CAA TV Deal expires after this season
It is no longer important to get on tv. It is so easy to stream CAA games from my phone/cpu, smart tv, or whatever.

The nice thing about ESPN3 is you can watch the game any time via their replay function.
07-28-2016 07:18 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Agreed. Espn3 would be a big upgrade over what we have now
07-29-2016 05:57 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(07-28-2016 02:14 PM)solohawks Wrote:  http://www.dnronline.com/sports/caa-eyes...a5ece.html

Found this on the JMU Board.

Looks like we are going back to ESPN for our small package of national games. The new commish bascially said NBCSN is out. I do wonder how the Comcast SportsNets will fit in, they have been a good partner. It will be nice to have the CAA on the WATCHESPN app and ESPN3

All that blubbering over the departure of Tom Yeager mystified me. There is a reason he was the county's longest-serving commissioner - no one else was dumb enough to hire him away from the CAA. His TV package negotiating skills speak for themselves......
07-29-2016 06:00 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I kinda have to disagree there. Comcast has been pretty good to the CAA. We arent rolling in the money but they have given us pretty good exposure on the Comcast regional sports networks. Switching from ESPN to NBCSN for the tournament was debatable but NBCSN did throw in some national games we wouldn't have gotten on ESPN. Our JMU game never would have made it on a national ESPN network

However as the world moves towards steaming TV, ESPN is the most logical fit. No one else can match what ESPN3 offers at this time
07-29-2016 06:07 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-29-2016 06:07 PM)solohawks Wrote:  However as the world moves towards steaming TV,

If it's "steaming" it's probably coming from G vegas LOL 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2016 10:35 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
07-30-2016 10:34 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Hahahahah very true
07-30-2016 11:49 AM
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Interesting news from the NBCSN hockey schedule: they have a game scheduled for March 6 at 7:30, when the CAA basketball championship would usually be (7pm start on Monday night). Either an early game or it'll be on another network.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/sports-medi...nbc-nbcsn/
07-31-2016 12:23 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-31-2016 12:23 PM)sctvman Wrote:  Interesting news from the NBCSN hockey schedule: they have a game scheduled for March 6 at 7:30, when the CAA basketball championship would usually be (7pm start on Monday night). Either an early game or it'll be on another network.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/sports-medi...nbc-nbcsn/
I bet they throw us on at 5 especially if we are not renewing with them
07-31-2016 04:39 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
I liked the ambition and drive to be different when we made the tv move years back. The only thing I did not like was us kicking ourselves out of bracket busters and essentially killing the bracket busters (as that was typically a game on our schedule that would be difficult to get otherwise). I did think the bracket busters got too big and too inclusive, though. However as it materialized, the move to NBCSN was not a good one and it will be nice to be back on ESPN and especially ESPN3. NBCSN is really driving towards only hockey and racing, so there is not really much space for college basketball, especially for the CAA. I did enjoy the extra games that were on where ESPN would never ave put games for the conference. Overall on that deal I think we came out worse than where we were, but I thought that was one of the few times Yeager actually ever showed any ambition/risk to get better. You can't completely fault him for trying.
08-02-2016 02:07 PM
sctvman Offline
1st String

Mattsarz with a new post about the CAA TV deal maybe going to ESPN networks. The Kentucky/Hofstra game in Brooklyn is airing on ESPN, and ESPN3 carried the football media day this year.

http://fb.me/1pRSIMnLO
10-06-2016 12:32 PM
Advertisement

sctvman Offline
1st String

Bobby Hartin (local Charleston sports talk host) just interviewed Joe D'Antonio, the new CAA commissioner, and he asked about the TV deal. D'Antonio said finals of CAA tourney will be on a "ESPN platform," while semis will likely be on Comcast SportsNet channels.

Will be announced next week at media day.
10-19-2016 04:01 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
(10-19-2016 04:01 PM)sctvman Wrote:  Bobby Hartin (local Charleston sports talk host) just interviewed Joe D'Antonio, the new CAA commissioner, and he asked about the TV deal. D'Antonio said finals of CAA tourney will be on a "ESPN platform," while semis will likely be on Comcast SportsNet channels.

That means about 10 people should see the game. Its a bad deal for the CAA.
10-20-2016 03:23 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Has ther ever been a good deal for the CAA? We aren't the Power 5 man. There are no "good" deals for the lesser conferences.
10-20-2016 09:54 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-20-2016 03:23 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(10-19-2016 04:01 PM)sctvman Wrote:  Bobby Hartin (local Charleston sports talk host) just interviewed Joe D'Antonio, the new CAA commissioner, and he asked about the TV deal. D'Antonio said finals of CAA tourney will be on a "ESPN platform," while semis will likely be on Comcast SportsNet channels.

That means about 10 people should see the game. Its a bad deal for the CAA.
The CAA has always had pretty good tv exposure for a conference of its stature. The entire CAA tournament has always been on TV dating back to the mid 90a when Comcast Mid Atlantic was known as HTS the home of the Orioles and Washington teams.

ESPN 1 gave the CAA a prime slot on Monday nights leading into the Gonzaga WCC tournament games and sent some A list announcers to call the game. The entire bracket busters Saturday was created in part because ESPN realized they had quality teams in the CAA.

Also how many other conferences got paid, no matter the amount, to be on National TV via NBC Sports Network?

The CAA can be faulted for many things, such as letting Hofstra veto Stony brook which prevented divisions from forming, but the TV coverage it has received is remarkable for a non FBS football mid major conference
10-21-2016 07:53 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

Comcast SportsNet is not ESPN 2. Its not going to help UNCW get better exposure and if UNCW wants to leave the CAA for a better basketball conference they need all the exposure they can possibly get. There will be another huge conference alignment soon and it would be wise for UNCW to check all options . Its not a good conference for them and I hope they can get in the A10. I do think it is a bit of a stretch but it could happen.
10-21-2016 09:22 AM
Advertisement

sctvman Offline
1st String

I don't know how ASN will play into this either. They might get some of the games as well. It will likely be Comcast networks though with the quarters and semis, and one of the ESPNs (likely ESPNU or maybe News) for the finals. If they could work out something and possibly get on ESPN2 or ESPN, that would be great.

Last year's championship drew 117,000 on NBCSN (from sportstvratings.com). The Horizon League semis on at the same time on ESPNU drew fifty thousand more viewers. Northeastern/W&M in 2015 only averaged 90K.

2014's championship (the year UD won) drew 185K, while 2013 averaged 138K.

NBC could probably double their rating with hockey or whatever else they usually show on a Monday night. Look at where we are compared to other leagues. The SoCon's regular season TV package is 6 games on ASN. Rest on ESPN3. Big South is mostly online too but a few ASN games.
10-21-2016 10:32 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

So the Horizon did a 42% higher rating than the CAA ? That is my point,even on ESPNU a lower rated conference smashed the CAA on TV. Whatever it takes to get o ESPN is worth it IMO. The casual ESPN viewer will just stumble on to it as opposed to searching out the game on a Comcast channel.
10-21-2016 11:57 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2016 10:32 AM)sctvman Wrote:  I don't know how ASN will play into this either. They might get some of the games as well. It will likely be Comcast networks though with the quarters and semis, and one of the ESPNs (likely ESPNU or maybe News) for the finals. If they could work out something and possibly get on ESPN2 or ESPN, that would be great.

Last year's championship drew 117,000 on NBCSN (from sportstvratings.com). The Horizon League semis on at the same time on ESPNU drew fifty thousand more viewers. Northeastern/W&M in 2015 only averaged 90K.

2014's championship (the year UD won) drew 185K, while 2013 averaged 138K.

NBC could probably double their rating with hockey or whatever else they usually show on a Monday night. Look at where we are compared to other leagues. The SoCon's regular season TV package is 6 games on ASN. Rest on ESPN3. Big South is mostly online too but a few ASN games.
My guess will be we are going back to how things were before NBC Sports Network took over in that we will get our championship final on ESPN1, instead of NBC SN, on Monday nights while the semis and possibly the quarters will be on Comcast Sports Net for TV with steaming on ESPN 3. We won't get as many regular season national TV games on ESPN, if any, as we did NBC SN but we will still have a good amount on Comcast Sports Net and ASN likely all available on ESPN 3 for streaming which is an improvement from what we have now as the streaming component is becoming more and more important

I would love it if all non televised games were on ESPN 3 like the MAC has but I know that requires certain schools to invest in production to meet ESPN 3 standards
10-21-2016 12:17 PM
geezerhawkdad Offline
2nd String

The CAA should try to move the championship game to Sunday on one of the ESPN tv networks. The P5 are abandoning that Sunday because their conference championships start on Tuesday or Wednesday. Playing the championship on that Sunday will allow more fans to stay for the game.

UNCW is doing what they need to to stay on the A10's short list; win and draw crowds.
10-21-2016 08:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.