Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would the AAC and MWC get back on the talks of a merger?
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Would the AAC and MWC get back on the talks of a merger?
Technically it was CUSA and the MWC at that time but the major schools from CUSA at that point are involved with the AAC now.

I wonder if that will be what has to be done?
07-20-2016 09:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Would the AAC and MWC get back on the talks of a merger?
If MWC lost Boise and CSU and AAC lost Houston and Cincy, I could see it.
07-20-2016 09:50 PM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
I don't see a merger -- far too different cultures -- but I could easily be wrong.

If by some odd reason we don't take BYU then the Cougars need to go back to the MWC; the PAC-12 won't be calling. Idaho and NMSU are waiting in the wings too for the MWC, as is UTEP.

The AAC has some good and/or interesting choices east of the Rockies. NIU is one I hope they'd look at closely; Southern Miss too. And WSU if they bring back football -- anyone with a spare $50 million to donate to them to do so? It would be much appreciated! 04-bow
07-20-2016 10:02 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
If the Big 12 opts to add four, which means the AAC and MWC between them are losing at least three, then yes I could see it happening. Whichever conference is left with the most members could invite the members of the other to join as football-onlies, resulting in two 10-school divisions playing 9-game round-robin schedules and the division winners meeting in the CCG. I expect the conferences would stay separate for non-football sports.
07-20-2016 10:04 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
The concept flies in the face of the G5 structure, meaning you'll be dividing the CFP money more ways.

I don't think the deal on the table 4 years ago to combine the MWC/CUSA has any bearing on plan between the AAC/MWC, meaning its history.

What is more likely is if the AAC takes enough hits that the MWC would move in on its Texas schools so it can establish itself as the best G5 conference. Its a tug of war between the AAC and MWC and right now the AAC has the upper hand with Houston/SMU but that can change with some realignment.
07-20-2016 10:20 PM
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
The AAC will continue to have the upper hand on the mwc if for no other reason than contracts. The mwc has an awful and uneven contract with poor exposure, the American is the only conference left up for contract renewal. I would think 4 mwc programs would love to get back on espn with even distribution. The AAC is almost garuanteed to get the ACC's time slots once their network become official . Which also mean more money for the AAC and the lucky mwc schools that join
07-21-2016 01:50 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(07-21-2016 01:50 AM)Tigersmoke3 Wrote:  The AAC will continue to have the upper hand on the mwc if for no other reason than contracts. The mwc has an awful and uneven contract with poor exposure, the American is the only conference left up for contract renewal. I would think 4 mwc programs would love to get back on espn with even distribution. The AAC is almost garuanteed to get the ACC's time slots once their network become official . Which also mean more money for the AAC and the lucky mwc schools that join

Both the MWC and the AAC (and BYU) are coming up for renewal at the same time. 2019/2020 is the last year of all 3's tv contracts. There won't be a merger. If AAC loses 2 to 4, the MWC could pluck the AAC if Houston is available, they won't want any one else except maybe SMU. If MWC loses CSU, I don't know if that changes a lot of things for them. They aren't really top of the MWC in anything but academics. Seems like all the serious Big 12 candidates are AAC schools except CSU and BYU. It'll be interesting. I wish everyone good fortune in the wars to come.
Cheers!
07-21-2016 02:00 AM
Advertisement

Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
No.
07-21-2016 07:46 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
What would be the point of a merger?
07-21-2016 08:24 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(07-20-2016 10:20 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  The concept flies in the face of the G5 structure, meaning you'll be dividing the CFP money more ways.

I don't think the deal on the table 4 years ago to combine the MWC/CUSA has any bearing on plan between the AAC/MWC, meaning its history.

What is more likely is if the AAC takes enough hits that the MWC would move in on its Texas schools so it can establish itself as the best G5 conference. Its a tug of war between the AAC and MWC and right now the AAC has the upper hand with Houston/SMU but that can change with some realignment.

That is the key paragraph. Before the CFP was getting sorted out, and the BCS was still a probability, the CUSA/MW merger at the time was a multi-fold proposition.
1. Gain an auto-bid as a super conference of 24.
2. Gain bigger TV contract
3. Get 2 auto bids to the NCAA tourney.
4. Protection form more raids of P5 conferences.

The deal fell apart because 1-3 wasn't going to happen and after seeing the logistics if wasn't worthwhile. #3 really hampered the deal and also seeing that the Pac/Big/ACC and SEC weren't rushing to go to 16 teams also helped.

There will be no AAC/MW merger in the future.
07-21-2016 08:29 AM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Let's say the XII takes BYU, Houston, Memphis, and Cincinnati. That leaves 9+12=21 schools between AAC/MWC. They add Rice, Middle Tennessee St, and Western Kentucky (just an example.) They could merge and have 4 divisions of 6. Top 2 division champions go to CCG and other 2 division champions play for 3rd/4th. This would help with seeding for bowls between division champions.

Pacific: Hawaii, San Diego St, Fresno St, San Jose St, UNLV, Nevada
Mountain: Boise St, Utah St, Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado St, New Mexico
Central: Tulsa, SMU, Rice, Tulane, Middle Tennessee St, Western Kentucky
Eastern: Central Florida, South Florida, East Carolina, Temple, Connecticut, Navy

5 division games + 1 game from each other division for 8 conference games. I know Navy wants to be in a Texas-school division so maybe rearrange. Just a thought.
07-21-2016 08:54 AM
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Even If The American and the mwc contracts come up to renegotiation so about the same time it would be physically impossible for them to get the ACC's old time slots being on the west coast. The AAC If only by geography is the stronger conference.
07-21-2016 08:59 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(07-21-2016 08:59 AM)Tigersmoke3 Wrote:  Even If The American and the mwc contracts come up to renegotiation so about the same time it would be physically impossible for them to get the ACC's old time slots being on the west coast. The AAC If only by geography is the stronger conference.

Just because the ACC will have its own network, doesn't mean that there are open spots on ESPN. The open spots from the ACC network will be from why Raycom broadcasts on their syndicated network.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2016 09:04 AM by MWC Tex.)
07-21-2016 09:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.