Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice should already be on the phone
Converted Rice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice/Baylor
Rice should already be on the phone
to the AAC with a proposal to join once the Big 12 raids that conference. Now is the time to blow out all the stops. We have a good start with the endzone facility but there needs to be a comprehensive plan.
Karlgaard seems like the type that would have that under control.

AAC would be a huge upgrade.
07-20-2016 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Rice should already be on the phone
(07-20-2016 02:17 PM)Converted Rice Wrote:  to the AAC with a proposal to join once the Big 12 raids that conference. Now is the time to blow out all the stops. We have a good start with the endzone facility but there needs to be a comprehensive plan.

Absolutely. Well stated.
07-20-2016 02:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
http://www.sidewalksigns2go.com/

[Image: summer-a-frame-sign-sale2.jpg]

With prices starting at $32.75...I think the BOT could approve that expense....then again, one never knows.
07-20-2016 03:07 PM
Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
(07-20-2016 02:17 PM)Converted Rice Wrote:  to the AAC with a proposal to join once the Big 12 raids that conference. Now is the time to blow out all the stops. We have a good start with the endzone facility but there needs to be a comprehensive plan.

Is the prevailing scenario limited to expansion with AAC teams? If it involved a MWC team such as Boise, which destination would be preferable if given the choice: MWC or AAC?

(07-20-2016 03:07 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  http://www.sidewalksigns2go.com/

[Image: summer-a-frame-sign-sale2.jpg]

With prices starting at $32.75...I think the BOT could approve that expense....then again, one never knows.

Well done! And if UH can call themselves Tier 1 though they are not, can we call ourselves "A Power 5 Football Power" though we clearly are not?
07-20-2016 03:14 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
AAC 2.0 (after departures for Big 12) ~= CUSA when we joined it? Definitely an upgrade from the present.

And as much as I'd like to the Rice play more out here on the West Coast (and learn how to play well in California), I think AAC would be a much better match for Rice than the MWC.
07-20-2016 04:46 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(07-20-2016 04:52 PM)interwebowl Wrote:  What makes you think that Joe is not on the phone with the BIG 12? That list in the paper was not from the Big 12, it was from the writer. I know for a fact that Rice has never stopped talking to the Big 12 and that the other Houston team is still hated by enough of the current members to block. Don't buy all this hype from the press. Given what happened at Baylor, the Big 12 is more concerned with integrity than ever before and integrity is not a term that one associates with uh. They are the poor man's smu, they just can't help themselves.

This has been my position all along. I fail to see why UT, OU, OSU, Baylor and Tech, in particular, would want to elevate UH's position in the recruiting competition. And the don't help a conference in dire need of an academic boost.
07-20-2016 04:55 PM
Advertisement

Converted Rice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice/Baylor
I don't think there is any way that the Big 12 adds another Texas team. LHN is a giant roadblock to a TV network, but if a network ever comes about it is much more attractive to add new markets. Texas is already covered. Add to that some resentment to the power that Texas teams already wield. I would love Rice in the Big 12 but don't see it happening.
07-20-2016 05:20 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
Isn't it about time for Texas Christian University to jump to a new conference?
07-20-2016 05:43 PM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

I agree. Why would they want to add UH? They don't even have Tier I status. Sure Herman had a good year but what makes you think he will have as much success this year. Remember, no one knew what to expect from him since it was his first year. There will not be any big surprises this year. They have only done well in Track and Field and football.
(07-20-2016 05:20 PM)Converted Rice Wrote:  I don't think there is any way that the Big 12 adds another Texas team. LHN is a giant roadblock to a TV network, but if a network ever comes about it is much more attractive to add new markets. Texas is already covered. Add to that some resentment to the power that Texas teams already wield. I would love Rice in the Big 12 but don't see it happening.
07-20-2016 07:16 PM
ETx Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
SEC or bust- we become western division Vanderbilt- basically home game for Aggies LSU and Arky
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 08:43 PM by ETx Owl.)
07-20-2016 08:42 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
This oughta get the blood boiling on a few of you.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...57617.html

The myopia is breathtaking.
07-21-2016 07:27 AM
Advertisement

owlsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I have always thought that Rice's academic excellence and their attractiveness as a football opponent made them a great choice for the Big 12. Let' shock the world, here.
07-21-2016 07:38 AM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
(07-20-2016 04:55 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 04:52 PM)interwebowl Wrote:  What makes you think that Joe is not on the phone with the BIG 12? That list in the paper was not from the Big 12, it was from the writer. I know for a fact that Rice has never stopped talking to the Big 12 and that the other Houston team is still hated by enough of the current members to block. Don't buy all this hype from the press. Given what happened at Baylor, the Big 12 is more concerned with integrity than ever before and integrity is not a term that one associates with uh. They are the poor man's smu, they just can't help themselves.

This has been my position all along. I fail to see why UT, OU, OSU, Baylor and Tech, in particular, would want to elevate UH's position in the recruiting competition. And the don't help a conference in dire need of an academic boost.
Find me one domino that has fallen during major college realignment that has anything to do with academics. ESPN and FOX are not paying millions of dollars to the Big 10 because they have X amount of tier 1 research institutions. AD's and Presidents pay lip service to academics, but if you think it plays a factor in who goes to what conference, I think you are kidding yourself.
07-21-2016 08:25 AM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(07-21-2016 08:25 AM)Mademen Wrote:  

Find me one domino that has fallen during major college realignment that has anything to do with academics. ESPN and FOX are not paying millions of dollars to the Big 10 because they have X amount of tier 1 research institutions. AD's and Presidents pay lip service to academics, but if you think it plays a factor in who goes to what conference, I think you are kidding yourself.

There isn't one. UH has on field performance and university size in its plus column over Rice. Rice has everything else. All we can do is guess how the presidents of the Big 12 want to weigh the factors.
07-21-2016 08:35 AM
greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

(07-21-2016 08:35 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  

There isn't one. UH has on field performance and university size in its plus column over Rice. Rice has everything else. All we can do is guess how the presidents of the Big 12 want to weigh the factors.

I have to agree with Mademen on this one. The decision will be based on $. Who can bring the most money to the table. In TV share, attendance and facilities. That'll be fairly easy to measure. Academics, not so much. And when ESU or its ilk gets the invite, believe me the Big XII spin folks... As well as ESU itself.... Will tout their academic reputation and maintain that they are an institution of pure genius.
07-21-2016 08:42 AM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I'll tell you the one academic domino that might actually come into play. I could easily see John Whitmire (UH alum) telling Texas that UH will stand down and not object to the medical university in exchange for UT support into the Big 12. That whole UT-Houston deal is a cluster right now and UH has many more alums in the legislature than they did when the SWC got broken up.
07-21-2016 08:47 AM
Advertisement

cr11owl Offline
All American

(07-21-2016 08:42 AM)greyowl72 Wrote:  

I have to agree with Mademen on this one. The decision will be based on $. Who can bring the most money to the table. In TV share, attendance and facilities. That'll be fairly easy to measure. Academics, not so much. And when ESU or its ilk gets the invite, believe me the Big XII spin folks... As well as ESU itself.... Will tout their academic reputation and maintain that they are an institution of pure genius.

UH doesn't provide the Houston TV market... Our football stadium is larger and has more seats for Big 12 alums in Houston. The only $ UH provides that we don't will come from Fertitta.
07-21-2016 08:51 AM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

(07-21-2016 08:51 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(07-21-2016 08:42 AM)greyowl72 Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 04:55 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  This has been my position all along. I fail to see why UT, OU, OSU, Baylor and Tech, in particular, would want to elevate UH's position in the recruiting competition. And the don't help a conference in dire need of an academic boost.

UH doesn't provide the Houston TV market... Our football stadium is larger and has more seats for Big 12 alums in Houston. The only $ UH provides that we don't will come from Fertitta.

1. No one owns the Houston market because this is and always has been a bandwagon town. That being said two UH games were among the top 10 rated regular season college football games in the Houston market last year. More than Texas and the same as A&M.

2. UH can expand its stadium to 60,000 by 2018.
07-21-2016 08:55 AM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

Unless UT is planning on leaving the Big 12 and everybody knows it, I can't see them adding UH. Just doesn't make sense to add a Texas team unless UT is planning on taking off.

It's true no one is going to get in to a conference because of academics, academics can keep a school out. Boise is a non-starter for the PAC and UH is a non-starter for the Big 10. (Yes, I heard UT and UH to Big 10 talk on the radio on the way in...)
07-21-2016 09:36 AM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(07-21-2016 09:36 AM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  Unless UT is planning on leaving the Big 12 and everybody knows it, I can't see them adding UH. Just doesn't make sense to add a Texas team unless UT is planning on taking off.

It's true no one is going to get in to a conference because of academics, academics can keep a school out. Boise is a non-starter for the PAC and UH is a non-starter for the Big 10. (Yes, I heard UT and UH to Big 10 talk on the radio on the way in...)

I don't really listen to sports radio but does Granato ever talk about Rice to the Big 12 on his show? If people will buy the garbage UH spouts we might as well just start throwing rumors out there.
07-21-2016 10:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.