Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Any chance the PAC 12 decides to add 2 schools?
SMUfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
Any chance the PAC 12 decides to add 2 schools?
The PAC 12 might want to jump in front of the BIG 12 and add a couple of schools. Any thoughts?
07-20-2016 12:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billings Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
RE: Any chance the PAC 12 decides to add 2 schools?
(07-20-2016 12:59 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  The PAC 12 might want to jump in front of the BIG 12 and add a couple of schools. Any thoughts?

Would be nothing but speculation. all rumors and official news from PAC said not interested in expansion and they already have a TV network.

Going to be nervous time for AAC fans of schools who have no shot at the Big12 and the thought of losing three to four of their top schools

Maybe SDSU or CSU will get listened to out of the MWC but most signs point to the Big 12 looking east
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 01:03 PM by billings.)
07-20-2016 01:01 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(07-20-2016 12:59 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  The PAC 12 might want to jump in front of the BIG 12 and add a couple of schools. Any thoughts?

If the XII sign a GOR for another 10-15 years and the Pac wants to expand these are their only real options.

1. UNLV
2. Hawaii
3. BYU (While holding their noses)
4. Boise St. (While they ignore their academics)
5. New Mexico
07-20-2016 01:58 PM
SMUfan Offline
Special Teams

(07-20-2016 01:58 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

If the XII sign a GOR for another 10-15 years and the Pac wants to expand these are their only real options.

1. UNLV
2. Hawaii
5. New Mexico

The PAC 12 could quickly add Houston and BYU or Boise State.
07-20-2016 02:51 PM
billings Offline
1st String

(07-20-2016 02:51 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  

1. UNLV
2. Hawaii
5. New Mexico

ROFL. NO way Boise or BYU sniff a PAC invite. You don't understand the PAC if you think BYU has any kind of shot at membership. Stanford, Cal, and USC would blow a gasket over that idea even being brought up. Boise is not at all in the running due to a lack of PHD programs of any kind.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 03:04 PM by billings.)
07-20-2016 03:04 PM
Advertisement

SMUfan Offline
Special Teams

(07-20-2016 03:04 PM)billings Wrote:  

1. UNLV
2. Hawaii
5. New Mexico

ROFL. NO way Boise or BYU sniff a PAC invite. You don't understand the PAC if you think BYU has any kind of shot at membership. Stanford, Cal, and USC would blow a gasket over that idea even being brought up. Boise is not at all in the running due to a lack of PHD programs of any kind.

Laugh all you want, but if the PAC wants to add they need to jump and get the best two schools that will also help to get the PAC 12 Network on more broadcasting systems.

Houston would add a large city that would help the PAC 12 Network add another time zone. With the Central Time zone added to the conference it would open up more programing so that the conference could have programing that the East Coast might watch.
07-20-2016 03:28 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
Potential PAC-12 Schools:
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tulsa
Texas Tech
Texas
Houston
Rice
Tulane
Air Force
New Mexico
UNLV
That is all they usually take an AAU school + a travel partner.
07-20-2016 03:33 PM
billings Offline
1st String

(07-20-2016 03:28 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  

1. UNLV
2. Hawaii
5. New Mexico

Laugh all you want, but if the PAC wants to add they need to jump and get the best two schools that will also help to get the PAC 12 Network on more broadcasting systems.

Houston would add a large city that would help the PAC 12 Network add another time zone. With the Central Time zone added to the conference it would open up more programing so that the conference could have programing that the East Coast might watch.

BYU is a University heavily criticized for censoring its professors speech and they are on a AAUP censure list. No way in hell the PAC even looks at them and the kingpins of Stanford and USC would kill it instantly.

The PAC has a heavy investment in schools in the conference joining in academic research partnership. Boise could not even hardly contribute to that with no PHD programs to speak of and such a tiny endowment.

Once again ROFL

Now HAWAII brings a lot to the table and is a long term PAC option as it perhaps UNLV or New Mexico
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 03:35 PM by billings.)
07-20-2016 03:33 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
PAC-12 could get Rice and Houston but that is a big gap between schools. They would need Texas and Texas Tech to tag along or New Mexico, Texas Tech, Texas, and Rice for 16.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 03:35 PM by Carolina_Low_Country.)
07-20-2016 03:34 PM
Advertisement

jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Hawaii and UC San Diego.
07-20-2016 08:20 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(07-20-2016 03:33 PM)billings Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 03:28 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 01:58 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  If the XII sign a GOR for another 10-15 years and the Pac wants to expand these are their only real options.

1. UNLV
2. Hawaii
5. New Mexico

BYU is a University heavily criticized for censoring its professors speech and they are on a AAUP censure list. No way in hell the PAC even looks at them and the kingpins of Stanford and USC would kill it instantly.

The PAC has a heavy investment in schools in the conference joining in academic research partnership. Boise could not even hardly contribute to that with no PHD programs to speak of and such a tiny endowment.

Once again ROFL

Now HAWAII brings a lot to the table and is a long term PAC option as it perhaps UNLV or New Mexico

MWC, Big Sky and Big West schools that are listed as research schools:

UNLV
UNR
Hawaii
Utah State
Boise State
San Diego State
New Mexico
Colorado State
Wyoming
Idaho
Montana
Montana State
Northern Colorado
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Cal.-Davis
Cal. Poly

Boise State was behind schools like Portland State, San Jose State, Fresno State and others, but they are adding PHDs for research department, and a possible medical school to be placed in the city in the future that they could be in charge of.
07-20-2016 08:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
Hawaii and UNLV. Or get the three Idaho institutions to merge and come _back_ to the PAC as one. 05-stirthepot
07-20-2016 10:08 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse

1. UNLV
2. Hawaii
5. New Mexico

The PAC could make a serious case for expanding its TV network value with Hawaii and New Mexico.

That might make more sense than trying to fool with B12 schools sans Texas and OU.
07-20-2016 10:23 PM
Advertisement

GiveEmTheAxe Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Stanford
Honestly, adding only 2 schools would force the Pac to make some very tough decisions for itself. Mainly because it would then be really difficult to keep everybody happy with the divisional split within the conference.

The current model allows for the following things:
* Every school plays 3 games against teams from CA each year.
* That's true even for the CA schools themselves, which preserve their annual games despite being split across divisions.
* Geographically intuitive models to make the conference easy to follow.

If you add 2 schools to become the Pac-14 the current solutions fall apart. You either:
* Keep the CA schools split but end their yearly cross-over guarantees.
* Keep the CA schools split and keep ensuring their yearly cross-overs, resulting in a very slow 10-year home/away rotation to play all conference opponents.
* Move all CA schools to the same division, while seeing all hell break loose to determine which 3 schools get to join them in that division.

I just don't see any good solutions to that particular alignment problem. Better to just jump straight to 16 or not expand at all.
07-21-2016 02:27 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

Unless it's Texas...Nah....

Cheers!
07-21-2016 02:32 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(07-20-2016 10:08 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  Hawaii and UNLV. Or get the three Idaho institutions to merge and come _back_ to the PAC as one. 05-stirthepot

Hahahaha...
Cheers!
07-21-2016 02:33 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
UH (the Honolulu one, not the Houston one) needs to grow its endowment by about $500 million if it ever hopes to make a serious case for Pac-12 membership. The school's biggest problem is poor and diminishing institutional support from Hawaii's state government, which basically exists to remove money from the pockets of taxpayers and put it in the pockets of local union workers.

However in many other respects UH is a logical candidate for Pac-12 consideration. It's a state flagship, land grant, sea grant, and space grant university with a business school, law school, medical school, and national cancer institute. UH's research spending is the highest in the MWC and Pac-12 caliber. The athletic facilities (50,000-seat stadium, 10,000-seat basketball arena, 4,000-seat baseball stadium) are aging but serviceable, and fan support is pretty good when an incompetent football coach (Von Appen, Chow) isn't running the program into the ground.

The program also brings a bowl tie-in (Hawaii Bowl) and the expanded NCAA Hawaii exemption that beginning this year will allow teams that play UH in Honolulu to schedule an extra home game the week prior to the beginning of the football regular season. Those are things a conference like the Pac-12 could monetize to a much greater degree than the MWC can.

Last comment in this overly-long post: Thanks to UH's location, Pac-12 football and basketball conference games played on Saturday nights in Honolulu could be broadcast live on Sunday afternoons in Sydney, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Tokyo. Would there be enough of an audience to make that interesting to any television network? I don't know, but I do know 70,000 Australians have bought tickets to watch UH and Cal play a live football game in Sydney next month.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2016 03:28 AM by HawaiiMongoose.)
07-21-2016 03:25 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(07-21-2016 03:25 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  The school's biggest problem is poor and diminishing institutional support from Hawaii's state government, which basically exists to remove money from the pockets of taxpayers and put it in the pockets of local union workers.

07-21-2016 07:07 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(07-21-2016 02:27 AM)GiveEmTheAxe Wrote:  Honestly, adding only 2 schools would force the Pac to make some very tough decisions for itself. Mainly because it would then be really difficult to keep everybody happy with the divisional split within the conference.

The current model allows for the following things:
* Every school plays 3 games against teams from CA each year.
* That's true even for the CA schools themselves, which preserve their annual games despite being split across divisions.
* Geographically intuitive models to make the conference easy to follow.

If you add 2 schools to become the Pac-14 the current solutions fall apart. You either:
* Keep the CA schools split but end their yearly cross-over guarantees.
* Keep the CA schools split and keep ensuring their yearly cross-overs, resulting in a very slow 10-year home/away rotation to play all conference opponents.
* Move all CA schools to the same division, while seeing all hell break loose to determine which 3 schools get to join them in that division.

I just don't see any good solutions to that particular alignment problem. Better to just jump straight to 16 or not expand at all.

I have thought this before. The 4 North Carolina schools in the ACC have 1 that they don't play much at all (Duke/North Carolina St and North Carolina/Wake Forest). Unless the PAC goes to 16, then they'd have to follow this train of thought with probably USC/California and UCLA/Stanford not playing each other often. Because this is potentially an issue, I wonder if the PAC has schools in mind for 13/14 but would rather wait until they have suitable options for 15/16 as well.
07-21-2016 08:46 AM
Sparty84 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Michigan State
I have always been a fan of the BIG-PAC Conference. That would create a coast to coast conference and both the PAC and BIG would be with their long standing peers and Rose Bowl rivals.

With the possible additions of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Notre Dame.
07-21-2016 09:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.