Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bring on the Round Robin: The only number better for the AAC than 12, is 10.
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Bring on the Round Robin: The only number better for the AAC than 12, is 10.
It would definitely be a hit to lose anyone to the Big 12, but with the new rule governing championship games (and the improvement from the bottom AAC schools in their coaching ranks), a 10 team AAC would be alright.

That's the bonus of being in a conference with a good degree of parity.

Competitively the AAC has been developing nicely. The disappointment would be from a perception standpoint, and how that would impact our next television negotiations. However, with 10 teams to split the pie the hit would be eased.

Either way, I wish everyone on both sides well. The AAC has carved out a place for itself in FBS that it wont soon yield.

Nevertheless, whether the Big 12 adds 2 or 4, a 10-team AAC MUST be the model going forward. The AAC shouldn't have to commit any more energy to growing new programs, if it can be helped.

Bring on the Round Robin!

[Image: roundrobin-logo_1x.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 01:02 AM by BigEastHomer.)
07-20-2016 12:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: Bring on the Round Robin: The only number better for the AAC than 12, is 10.
(07-20-2016 12:56 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  It would definitely be a hit to lose anyone to the Big 12, but with the new rule governing championship games (and the improvement from the bottom AAC schools in their coaching ranks), a 10 team AAC would be alright.

Competitively the AAC has been developing nicely. The disappointment would be from a perception standpoint, and how that would impact our next television negotiations. However, with 10 teams to split the pie the hit would be eased.

Either way, I wish everyone on both sides well. The AAC has carved out a place for itself in FBS that it wont soon yield.

Nevertheless, whether the Big 12 adds 2 or 4, a 10-team AAC MUST be the model going forward. The AAC shouldn't have to commit any more energy to growing new programs, if it can be helped.

So BYU and Cinci get nabbed... what then smart guy?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
07-20-2016 01:20 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
RE: Bring on the Round Robin: The only number better for the AAC than 12, is 10.
I'm 100% in favor for a 10 member AAC league.

This league will need one good football basketball addition with decent market and improved facilities, but who?!? No one comes to mind.
07-20-2016 01:28 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-20-2016 01:28 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  I'm 100% in favor for a 10 member AAC league.

This league will need one good football basketball addition with decent market and improved facilities, but who?!? No one comes to mind.

There is none.

Every AAC program has invested heavily in facilities and coaches. That's been the hallmark of the AAC's separation from the other non-autonomy conferences.

It would help A LOT of a school like UMass would invest now, rather than saying they would if they got an AAC invite.
07-20-2016 10:42 AM
DowdyPirate Online
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(07-20-2016 01:20 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 12:56 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  It would definitely be a hit to lose anyone to the Big 12, but with the new rule governing championship games (and the improvement from the bottom AAC schools in their coaching ranks), a 10 team AAC would be alright.

A 72 hour debate ensues on whether to kick out Tulane or Tulsa
07-20-2016 11:02 AM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(07-20-2016 11:02 AM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  

Nail it down to schools starting with TUL... that should help

07-20-2016 11:05 AM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-20-2016 11:05 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 11:02 AM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  

Nail it down to schools starting with TUL... that should help

Both the TUL's have held up their end by bringing in talented coaches. I have no problem with them.

If we drop below 10 mbb schools, I think Wichita State becomes viable. They have history with Tulsa and they are also committed to bringing in top quality coaches.
07-20-2016 11:29 AM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
If the AAC loses even two of UConn, Memphis or UC, basketball will take a huge hit. No question that if some combination of those schools leave improving basketball needs to be a primary focus, especially with Brown leaving at SMU.
07-20-2016 11:31 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-20-2016 11:31 AM)MickMack Wrote:  If the AAC loses even two of UConn, Memphis or UC, basketball will take a huge hit. No question that if some combination of those schools leave improving basketball needs to be a primary focus, especially with Brown leaving at SMU.

Agree 100%

I wouldn't even mind if we invited WSU and UMASS bball-only and support the growth of their fball with some kind of scheduling help, while they developed as an indy (if that's possible).
07-20-2016 11:38 AM
MickMack Offline
All American

(07-20-2016 11:38 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 11:31 AM)MickMack Wrote:  If the AAC loses even two of UConn, Memphis or UC, basketball will take a huge hit. No question that if some combination of those schools leave improving basketball needs to be a primary focus, especially with Brown leaving at SMU.

Agree 100%

I wouldn't even mind if we invited WSU and UMASS bball-only and support the growth of their fball with some kind of scheduling help, while they developed as an indy (if that's possible).

I keep hearing UMass tossed around, but I simply do not understand it. They've made the tournament twice since Calipari left after the 95-96 season. What's the appeal?
07-20-2016 11:46 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(07-20-2016 11:46 AM)MickMack Wrote:  

Agree 100%

I keep hearing UMass tossed around, but I simply do not understand it. They've made the tournament twice since Calipari left after the 95-96 season. What's the appeal?

stat flagship to a mega state...they are the only big state without a power team other that new york, but new york doesnt have any major state programs

the upward mobility for them is high, probably the highest off any g5 the problem is they are very far away from their ceiling, facilities upgrade and winning should be step 1
07-20-2016 11:57 AM
Advertisement

MickMack Offline
All American

(07-20-2016 11:57 AM)pesik Wrote:  

Agree 100%

stat flagship to a mega state...they are the only big state without a power team other that new york, but new york doesnt have any major state programs

the upward mobility for them is high, probably the highest off any g5 the problem is they are very far away from their ceiling, facilities upgrade and winning should be step 1

When you spend your entire life sitting backseat to Boston College, I think it speaks volumes about the quality of your AD. Still not seeing it.
07-20-2016 11:59 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(07-20-2016 11:59 AM)MickMack Wrote:  

Agree 100%

When you spend your entire life sitting backseat to Boston College, I think it speaks volumes about the quality of your AD. Still not seeing it.

umass was fcs just till a few years back, mountains arent built overnight

and umass would surpass BC on their first winning FBS season..

you have to think long term with expansion.. they wont be a recent fbs with an fcs facilities & budget forever

states Massachusetts surpasses in population and wealth include Tennessee, bama, missouri, South Carolina etc
with the only competition a small private school

in 10 years in the right conference and proper facilities i wouldn't be shocked to see umass doing 50-70k attendance if they won at a top level..they have an extremely high cieling
think rutgers who had a similar transition, 2000 17k attendance, but in 2013 on a 6-6 team in the AAC did 50k

im not gonna act like i don't have my issues with them, im not sure id want to add them if it was next year. i want to see them actualizing some of the potential before the add.. there stadium is horrific and they haven't figured out how to win in the fbs yet...but i see the reasoning behind them
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 12:22 PM by pesik.)
07-20-2016 12:19 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-20-2016 12:19 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 11:59 AM)MickMack Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 11:38 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Agree 100%

umass was fcs just till a few years back, mountains arent built overnight

and umass would surpass BC on their first winning FBS season..

you have to think long term with expansion.. they wont be a recent fbs with an fcs facilities & budget forever

states Massachusetts surpasses in population and wealth include Tennessee, bama, missouri, South Carolina etc
with the only competition a small private school

in 10 years in the right conference and proper facilities i wouldn't be shocked to see umass doing 50-70k attendance if they won at a top level..they have an extremely high cieling
think rutgers who had a similar transition, 2000 17k attendance, but in 2013 on a 6-6 team in the AAC did 50k

im not gonna act like i don't have my issues with them, im not sure id want to add them if it was next year. i want to see them actualizing some of the potential before the add.. there stadium is horrific and they haven't figured out how to win in the fbs yet...but i see the reasoning behind them

Agree. UMass has no one to blame but themselves for why they have not been picked up thus far.
If they're serious about fbs, the stadium issue should have been addressed a long time ago.
07-20-2016 02:09 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU

Agree 100%

Disagree. They are terrible in football with no stadium or fan support. No way they help us.
07-20-2016 02:23 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(07-20-2016 10:42 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 01:28 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  I'm 100% in favor for a 10 member AAC league.

There is none.

Every AAC program has invested heavily in facilities and coaches. That's been the hallmark of the AAC's separation from the other non-autonomy conferences.

It would help A LOT of a school like UMass would invest now, rather than saying they would if they got an AAC invite.

You right BigEastHomer... Had UMass invested on their facilities mainly on a football stadium before they would be sitting pretty right now for an AAC invite.

Here's what I like the AAC do if three members jump... Add these following programs with some northeast flavor.

Buffalo - Full member

Wichita State - Basketball only
Gonzaga - Basketball only
07-20-2016 02:27 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(07-20-2016 02:23 PM)First Mate Wrote:  Disagree. They are terrible in football with no stadium or fan support. No way they help us.

google rutgers and what they were before the big east, what they were in the early years of the big east (1996-2002)

rutgers was lucky to do 20k attendace

now look what they were at the last year of the aac

in 10 years they went from 19k to 50k attendance with numerous renovations and expansions and didnt even win very much
(in case you missed why i picked rutgers, they are the state flagship of new jersey, and a similar situation to umass)

expansion is the long game, this could be the last round of expansion meaning you could be stuck with them for 50-60 years

i have no problem adding usm, they are a way better program than umass right now, but as far as money and value they are already close to their ceiling..even in a bigger platform what they are valued today will be similar to what they are valued in 20 years outside of a boise like run.

umass is everything you said "They are terrible in football with no stadium or fan support" but we arent asking them to join for next year only..umass doesnt help us today, but with the aac's added resources and exposure in 10 years hey could be doing 50k in a state of 8mil and bring us huge dollars in 2026 ...
and side note umass won a fcs natioal championship in 98 and came #2 in 2006..its not like they are a constant dregg they just havent figured out the fbs yet,

i wish they were proactive with their stadium situation but they have an extremely high ceiling, more than any g5.. do you plan only for tomorrow or for a lifetime?
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 03:05 PM by pesik.)
07-20-2016 02:57 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
Houston and Temple are the most valuable properties from a media standpoint. If neither are taken of 2 AAC programs, stay at 10. If neither are taken of 3 AAC programs (presuming BYU is the 4th), add NIU to stay with the big market strategy.

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2016 12:02 AM by fishpro1098.)
07-20-2016 02:59 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-20-2016 02:59 PM)fishpro1098 Wrote:  Houston and Temple are the most valuable properties from a media standpoint. If neither are take of 2 AAC programs, stay at 10. .

Agreed.

Football-wise, the AAC would be fine in this scenario.

At that point, I'd like to see us focus on basketball.

Both Wichita State and VCU would also fit in nicely with Tulsa and ECU nearby. ECU needs to get rid of Lebo though to provide anyone a 'rival' in hoops.
07-20-2016 06:48 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Aresco has talked some about 10 but I don't know if the TV people will allow 10.

I don't know if any MAC schools would join a raided AAC with the travel costs involved. Ohio I believe has the best shot because it would be a direct replacement for UC (two hours away and comparable academics) and has a stadium expansion already approved for 2018.

UC replacement = Ohio
UConn replacement =Buffalo

Ohio is averaging 24k in FB and 9k in BB on Saturdays. AAC would help the numbers out at this school. Marketing income ect would all go up with a move to the AAC. They have the best equipment deal in the MAC (Russell) and the only school that is paid to wear gear.
07-20-2016 07:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.