Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Finebaum and Schroeder
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Finebaum and Schroeder
Just listened to a short conversation on the Finebaum show.

George Schroeder from USA Today was on. With SEC Media Days occurring, there are plenty of figures in town to talk sports.

Anyway, they discussed Big 12 expansion for a bit. Schroeder, who is based in Oklahoma, thought the league would be looking for Power 5 additions when their GOR expires. If no one is available though then schools like OU would be moving in all likelihood.

Finebaum asked if OU might end up in the SEC. Schroeder said he thought so and that OSU would be the most likely partner. He said it may have to be that way due to political pressure in the state of OK.

I thought that was all very interesting.
07-14-2016 03:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Finebaum and Schroeder
(07-14-2016 03:36 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Just listened to a short conversation on the Finebaum show.

George Schroeder from USA Today was on. With SEC Media Days occurring, there are plenty of figures in town to talk sports.

Anyway, they discussed Big 12 expansion for a bit. Schroeder, who is based in Oklahoma, thought the league would be looking for Power 5 additions when their GOR expires. If no one is available though then schools like OU would be moving in all likelihood.

Finebaum asked if OU might end up in the SEC. Schroeder said he thought so and that OSU would be the most likely partner. He said it may have to be that way due to political pressure in the state of OK.

That now makes about 4 or 5 media guys who have said this or something very very similar.
07-14-2016 09:38 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
I think we could be in for a major upheaval in conference affiliation soon. Allowing conferences to have a championship game with 10 members was huge. What happens if the number gets tweaked again to say 8 or 9 members? What if the playoff does get expanded. The need to be in a mega-conference will quickly decrease not increase.
07-14-2016 10:33 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(07-14-2016 09:38 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-14-2016 03:36 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Just listened to a short conversation on the Finebaum show.

That now makes about 4 or 5 media guys who have said this or something very very similar.
OU is a great fit for the SEC. If we have to take OSU, no problem. Would be nice to take a Carolina school, but, if not, two Oklahoma schools keeps Mizzou in the East. OU recruiting would be off the charts as an SEC member, as well as OSU.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2016 11:35 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
07-14-2016 11:31 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(07-14-2016 10:33 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  I think we could be in for a major upheaval in conference affiliation soon. Allowing conferences to have a championship game with 10 members was huge. What happens if the number gets tweaked again to say 8 or 9 members? What if the playoff does get expanded. The need to be in a mega-conference will quickly decrease not increase.

I think that ship has sailed.

1. The money is too great in larger leagues. The smaller your league, the smaller your financial outlook.

2. As odd as it may sound, the Big 12's ability to host a championship game didn't make the conference more stable. Deregulation of the requirements for CCGs was more about giving other leagues freedom to play with their alignments. Allowing a situation where the Big 12 could make a little extra money without having to expand actually makes the league more likely to disband in the future. The reason being that they don't have to re-up on a new contract to get more money. The current GOR is still in place.

3. The playoff won't be expanded anytime soon. I don't think the tail would wag the dog. We'd have to move to 7 or 8 leagues first before they really consider expanding the playoff.
07-15-2016 01:37 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Yeah, I thought it was particularly interesting that he is based in OK. He has to have some pretty good connections and from what I can tell, he is not a fan of either state school. He's not biased.
07-15-2016 01:42 AM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(07-14-2016 11:31 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

OU is a great fit for the SEC. If we have to take OSU, no problem. Would be nice to take a Carolina school, but, if not, two Oklahoma schools keeps Mizzou in the East. OU recruiting would be off the charts as an SEC member, as well as OSU.

I still think pods are better if we're going to 16.

-Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Arkansas

-Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State

-Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

-Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky
07-15-2016 02:16 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(07-14-2016 11:31 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

I saw that interview live. Finding out Schroeder is non-biased to any of the OK schools makes his comments even more credible.

If OU and OSU are 15 and 16, so be it. It'll work for the SEC and I hope Texas goes independent in football so the hogs can schedule them more often.
07-15-2016 12:57 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

(07-15-2016 01:37 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(07-14-2016 10:33 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  I think we could be in for a major upheaval in conference affiliation soon. Allowing conferences to have a championship game with 10 members was huge. What happens if the number gets tweaked again to say 8 or 9 members? What if the playoff does get expanded. The need to be in a mega-conference will quickly decrease not increase.

1. The money is too great in larger leagues. The smaller your league, the smaller your financial outlook.

2. As odd as it may sound, the Big 12's ability to host a championship game didn't make the conference more stable. Deregulation of the requirements for CCGs was more about giving other leagues freedom to play with their alignments. Allowing a situation where the Big 12 could make a little extra money without having to expand actually makes the league more likely to disband in the future. The reason being that they don't have to re-up on a new contract to get more money. The current GOR is still in place.

3. The playoff won't be expanded anytime soon. I don't think the tail would wag the dog. We'd have to move to 7 or 8 leagues first before they really consider expanding the playoff.

1, Only because of the current TV model. But that seems to be quickly changing. As more people switch to a Sling TV type network. The funding for large conference will dry up. But to be fair. It will dry up for smaller ones also.

2, The Big 12 has always been unstable. It was from the get go. The Big 8 was basically forced to expand for a championship game.

3. The playoff will expand after the first cycle. Which will be in about 10 years.
07-15-2016 11:44 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(07-15-2016 11:44 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

1, Only because of the current TV model. But that seems to be quickly changing. As more people switch to a Sling TV type network. The funding for large conference will dry up. But to be fair. It will dry up for smaller ones also.

2, The Big 12 has always been unstable. It was from the get go. The Big 8 was basically forced to expand for a championship game.

3. The playoff will expand after the first cycle. Which will be in about 10 years.

1. The model as it stands does rely on non-viewing subscribers, but other than that I don't things will change too much. Live content will still be valuable to OTA networks and good ad rates will follow. The biggest difference will be that there won't be as many cable subs to subsidize budgets. We don't necessarily know that a streaming service won't provide just as much money though.

Anyway, the bigger the footprint the more potential viewers a league will have so the fundamental dynamics wouldn't change too much.

2. I know the league has been unstable, but my point was that if a smaller league like the Big 12 isn't inherently more stable than the others then the odds of the trend back to smaller leagues occurring is very small. If the Big 12 is going to have trouble then what makes us think the others wouldn't be in the same boat?

3. It's possible, but if the Big 12 goes away in 6 years and we get a de facto champs only playoff then the Power leagues aren't going to have much of an incentive to expand. That's especially true if we continue down the road of concussions and head injuries steering feelings on scheduling and participation rates. Especially if we end up adding conference semis then there's going to come a saturation point where people won't want more games.
07-16-2016 01:01 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-16-2016 01:01 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(07-15-2016 11:44 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

1. The model as it stands does rely on non-viewing subscribers, but other than that I don't things will change too much. Live content will still be valuable to OTA networks and good ad rates will follow. The biggest difference will be that there won't be as many cable subs to subsidize budgets. We don't necessarily know that a streaming service won't provide just as much money though.

Anyway, the bigger the footprint the more potential viewers a league will have so the fundamental dynamics wouldn't change too much.

2. I know the league has been unstable, but my point was that if a smaller league like the Big 12 isn't inherently more stable than the others then the odds of the trend back to smaller leagues occurring is very small. If the Big 12 is going to have trouble then what makes us think the others wouldn't be in the same boat?

3. It's possible, but if the Big 12 goes away in 6 years and we get a de facto champs only playoff then the Power leagues aren't going to have much of an incentive to expand. That's especially true if we continue down the road of concussions and head injuries steering feelings on scheduling and participation rates. Especially if we end up adding conference semis then there's going to come a saturation point where people won't want more games.

That's all true. But, there is another reason we won't be revisiting smaller conferences, overhead. To pay the corporate salaries, the maintenance on office space, the cost of ancillary staff, etc., is just to much of a burden for fewer schools. The hidden inducement to larger conferences is in the elimination of duplicated expense and the lowering of overall costs.

In that regard two divisions of eight (or two small regional conferences) operating under one umbrella is more efficient.

This is why in 2012 I posted the 3 x 20 model (and I think a 3 x 24) here in a conversation with Omniorange to address what was the impossible division of the Big 12. I still think it has applications although I don't think we are going to jump to it next.

The idea is to group three major conferences more geographically and to try to balance them as much as is practical competitively.

The easy way to accomplish this has always been to send 8 Big 12 schools to the PAC (enough to dissolve the conference) and 6 ACC schools to the Big 10 and SEC respectively.

If you want to include the B.Y.U.'s, Connecticut's, Cincinnati's, etc. then we just add enough of the 4 remaining P schools and strong regional G5 schools, or service academies if they change their mins and want inclusion, to get to 24.

Army, Navy, Connecticut, and Air Force to the Big 10 along with Boston College, Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame, North Carolina State and Virginia Tech.

Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Florida State and Duke take the SEC to 20. Add Miami, West Virginia, Louisville, and T.C.U. to the SEC to make 24.

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and the PAC's compromise Baylor gives them 20. Then they can B.Y.U., either Nevada or U.N.L.V., New Mexico, and either San Diego State / Hawaii, or Boise to get to 24.

Now you have 3 more regionally located conferences with enough schools to have very regional divisions and inclusive of roughly the top 72 programs in investment in athletics. There are enough top programs and enough mid level programs to provide balanced competition and they would be close enough to keep it more economical for all.

So here we are 4 years later and nothing is resolved and the real issues (those of economics) have not really been addressed.

I would still be a fan of something like this:

One Major Conference of 4 Divisions of 8 Schools Each: 7 Divisional Games, 1 Permanent Rival, 4 Rotational Conference Games

Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami, South Carolina

Alabama, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt

Arkansas, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2016 05:48 PM by JRsec.)
07-16-2016 10:48 AM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I like the idea of a large league although it seems like it's going to be a while before it becomes a realistic option.

If we assume that OU and OSU are heading for the SEC in a few years then what happens to everyone else?

I can't see Texas really being happy with any potential league out there although the league they currently know will be gutted of virtually any relevant program. Another note on that Finebaum/Schroeder conversation from the other day...Schroeder mentioned that the home run move would be OU and UT together, but they both dismissed the idea of UT moving to the SEC. They really didn't even address it in detail.

I don't see Texas moving to the ACC because of 1) travel and 2) unless they are getting a special deal like ND then I don't think UT will want to be in a league where someone else has preferred status and they don't.

I don't see Texas moving to the B1G because of 1) travel and 2) the lack of regional rivals on the schedule will diminish overall revenue due to weakened fan interest.

So is the PAC the most likely scenario due to the fact that the league would probably take 2 or 3 other region schools in order to nail down Texas? I can't really see a better option for UT.

How about Kansas? I think the B1G would be interested, but who would be a strong #16 for them? I don't really see one. Iowa State doesn't give them anything they don't already have. UConn is an unknown quantity and may now be outside the periphery for any potential raise in income due to the new contract. Could KU be stuck? Could they end up in the SEC? Would the PAC want a greater CTZ presence? How about the ACC? I don't know.
07-16-2016 07:39 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-16-2016 07:39 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I like the idea of a large league although it seems like it's going to be a while before it becomes a realistic option.

If we assume that OU and OSU are heading for the SEC in a few years then what happens to everyone else?

I can't see Texas really being happy with any potential league out there although the league they currently know will be gutted of virtually any relevant program. Another note on that Finebaum/Schroeder conversation from the other day...Schroeder mentioned that the home run move would be OU and UT together, but they both dismissed the idea of UT moving to the SEC. They really didn't even address it in detail.

I don't see Texas moving to the ACC because of 1) travel and 2) unless they are getting a special deal like ND then I don't think UT will want to be in a league where someone else has preferred status and they don't.

I don't see Texas moving to the B1G because of 1) travel and 2) the lack of regional rivals on the schedule will diminish overall revenue due to weakened fan interest.

So is the PAC the most likely scenario due to the fact that the league would probably take 2 or 3 other region schools in order to nail down Texas? I can't really see a better option for UT.

How about Kansas? I think the B1G would be interested, but who would be a strong #16 for them? I don't really see one. Iowa State doesn't give them anything they don't already have. UConn is an unknown quantity and may now be outside the periphery for any potential raise in income due to the new contract. Could KU be stuck? Could they end up in the SEC? Would the PAC want a greater CTZ presence? How about the ACC? I don't know.

Texas, Texas Tech, T.C.U., Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State to the PAC would take them to 16. W.V.U. to the ACC would be 9 accounted for.
07-16-2016 09:21 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

No way these giant leagues happen. For one. These giant leagues could force ESPN/Fox against a wall, and no way that's gong to happen. I think that ESPN will find a way around that. And one of the ways around that is for ESPN/Fox to purpose a huge post season playoff system. Say 16 spots. The second part of the post season plan is to build the playoff with regions in mind. Like for example, The Atlanta regional, The Dallas regional, Los Angeles regional, and St. Louis regional. Each site would host 4 teams to play a tournament. These regionals would be bided on of course. Helping to generate revenue. The 3rd part is for ESPN to pay to keep leagues small. Kinda like how they paid the Big12 during the last conference realignment.
07-16-2016 11:30 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(07-16-2016 09:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-16-2016 07:39 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I like the idea of a large league although it seems like it's going to be a while before it becomes a realistic option.

Texas, Texas Tech, T.C.U., Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State to the PAC would take them to 16. W.V.U. to the ACC would be 9 accounted for.

I think the GOR is going to end though before any movement takes place. Some of these schools are going to be left out. They just won't hold enough value unless one of the powers is leveraging on their behalf.
07-17-2016 02:11 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

What if it works out like this?

Both the ACC and Big 12's GORs end about the same time so...

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Florida State, Clemson to the SEC

Kansas, Virginia Tech to the B1G

Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor to the PAC

At that point, the ACC could reform itself and possibly remain a power conference. The linchpin to that being the core schools would wish to remain together.
07-17-2016 03:01 AM
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska

He was asked if he could see it happening not that it would happen. That part of the interview wasn't even a minute long. He made it clear he wasn't predicting that it would happen.
07-17-2016 09:38 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Hope we don't waste ANY slots on Okie schools and just stay laser focused on the REAL prize: NC/VA

Adding another Florida sized population base to the conference is the only real payoff worth expansion
07-17-2016 12:13 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-17-2016 12:13 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Hope we don't waste ANY slots on Okie schools and just stay laser focused on the REAL prize: NC/VA

Adding another Florida sized population base to the conference is the only real payoff worth expansion

The final two will be for content, not population.
07-17-2016 04:09 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
(07-17-2016 04:09 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-17-2016 12:13 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Hope we don't waste ANY slots on Okie schools and just stay laser focused on the REAL prize: NC/VA

The final two will be for content, not population.

If that's true then bring in 2 schools relevant to most of the conference: FSU and Clemson. Ratings for them as SEC members would be huge! Far bigger and better than OU/OSU would ever get.
07-17-2016 07:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.