Memphis 11/1
Navy 11/1
UConn 20/1
East Carolina 33/1
Tulsa 33/1
SMU 75/1
Central Florida 100/1
Tulane 200/1
Pretty interesting stuff. IMO the best play would be with UCF. Veteran qb surrounded by lots of talent. 50/50 odds are too high for Houston. Looks like Tulsa and ECU have there work cut out for them. The Memphis and Navy reflect teams that lost a qb. I think this makes a lot of sense.
07-14-2016 07:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
RE: AAC odds to win the championship game
These odds have to reflect a teams ability to win their division, so I assume that the oddsmakers find UH and USF with the best chances to win their divisions. UH probably has an easier road to winning their division: they kept their coach, they recruited well, did not lose significant talent and beat FSU in a major bowl game handily, so 50/50 odds seems acceptable, maybe even light. USF looked great in the 2nd half of the season, but the oddsmakers see their road as tougher. Why? The next 2 teams listed are in the East, so the oddsmakers see the East as tougher this year.
07-14-2016 08:21 AM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(07-14-2016 08:21 AM)vick mike Wrote:  These odds have to reflect a teams ability to win their division, so I assume that the oddsmakers find UH and USF with the best chances to win their divisions. UH probably has an easier road to winning their division: they kept their coach, they recruited well, did not lose significant talent and beat FSU in a major bowl game handily, so 50/50 odds seems acceptable, maybe even light. USF looked great in the 2nd half of the season, but the oddsmakers see their road as tougher. Why? The next 2 teams listed are in the East, so the oddsmakers see the East as tougher this year.

Do they view the East as tougher, or do they believe there's more parity between the top East teams? With more parity that gives more teams a better chance to win their division and thus a better chance to win the conference. Maybe UH is higher because they have more separation between them and the rest of the West.

Maybe it has to do with the East's strength and less parity in the West. Who knows.
07-14-2016 08:32 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
Nice.... $100 on ucf gets you $10,000.
07-14-2016 09:21 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Someone explain to me (again) why Tulane is here?
07-14-2016 09:45 AM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(07-14-2016 09:45 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Someone explain to me (again) why Tulane is here?

To make the basketball only schools leave.
07-14-2016 09:59 AM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(07-14-2016 09:45 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Someone explain to me (again) why Tulane is here?

To make your life hell? Seems to be working so far.
07-14-2016 10:00 AM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

(07-14-2016 10:00 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

To make your life hell? Seems to be working so far.

Everyone needs a Vanderbilt.
07-14-2016 10:06 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(07-14-2016 08:21 AM)vick mike Wrote:  These odds have to reflect a teams ability to win their division, so I assume that the oddsmakers find UH and USF with the best chances to win their divisions. UH probably has an easier road to winning their division: they kept their coach, they recruited well, did not lose significant talent and beat FSU in a major bowl game handily, so 50/50 odds seems acceptable, maybe even light. USF looked great in the 2nd half of the season, but the oddsmakers see their road as tougher. Why? The next 2 teams listed are in the East, so the oddsmakers see the East as tougher this year.

Yep. Unlike rosewater, you seem to understand simple math.
07-14-2016 11:56 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I like UConn at 20/1. The East should be very entertaining this year.
07-14-2016 11:58 AM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

If Tulsa could pull the upset on UH, I think we would be in good shape for the ship'
07-14-2016 12:03 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Michael L. Aresco likes to party in New Orleans!
07-coffee3
07-14-2016 12:45 PM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
ECU @ 33/1? That's worth $50 for me.
07-14-2016 12:45 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(07-14-2016 11:56 AM)Kronke Wrote:  

Kronke, You do not play a balanced schedule. It is not like the winner of the west is the team that beats all the western teams. Some have to play the more difficult teams in the east while others get to skate. I think there is at least a 30 percent Houston does not win the west and a 50 percent chance you do not win the championship game hence a 35 percent chance to win the championship. So stick it.
07-14-2016 01:03 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(07-14-2016 01:03 PM)rosewater Wrote:  

Kronke, You do not play a balanced schedule. It is not like the winner of the west is the team that beats all the western teams. Some have to play the more difficult teams in the east while others get to skate. I think there is at least a 30 percent Houston does not win the west and a 50 percent chance you do not win the championship game hence a 35 percent chance to win the championship. So stick it.

I'm open to examining that more closely, as it further proves my point.

We play @Cincy, vs. UConn, vs. UCF.
Navy has vs. UConn, @ECU, @USF.
Memphis has vs. Temple, vs. USF, @Cincy

I think you'd agree that Memphis has by far the toughest draw, so let's eliminate them. Next is Navy. Our UConn games cancel out. Which is more difficult, @Cincy & vs. UCF or @ECU & @USF? Not to mention, we've already come out as a TD favorite against Navy.

Finally, we're a top 10 team, and you are giving us no more than a 50% shot to win the title game in the event that we make it. That doesn't add up. Everything else equal (injuries, etc.), we would obviously be favored over anyone we would meet in the title game.

Some more realistic numbers. 75-80% to win the West. 55-60% to win the title = ~45% to win the AAC. Factor in the vig, 1/1 seems right on the money.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2016 01:35 PM by Kronke.)
07-14-2016 01:16 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska

07-14-2016 02:27 PM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(07-14-2016 12:45 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  

Michael L. Aresco likes to party in New Orleans!
07-coffee3

LOL... I don't see one ounce of party guy in him but I'll buy it, Wilkie 04-cheers
07-14-2016 03:01 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(07-14-2016 01:16 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

I think you'd agree that Memphis has by far the toughest draw, so let's eliminate them. Next is Navy. Our UConn games cancel out. Which is more difficult, @Cincy & vs. UCF or @ECU & @USF? Not to mention, we've already come out as a TD favorite against Navy.

Finally, we're a top 10 team, and you are giving us no more than a 50% shot to win the title game in the event that we make it. That doesn't add up. Everything else equal (injuries, etc.), we would obviously be favored over anyone we would meet in the title game.

Some more realistic numbers. 75-80% to win the West. 55-60% to win the title = ~45% to win the AAC. Factor in the vig, 1/1 seems right on the money.

I do not agree with any of your gobeldy goop. You cannot predict these games one at a time before the season starts. If you lose any game inside your division and lose out side your division than it is highly unlikely that you are in the championship game for instance a loss at Memphis and a loss to Cincinnati. I gave Houston a 70 percent chance of winning their division which is pretty fair. A match-up with the best of the field in the East is 50/50 at best. Keep in mind that you have not played a game this year and did not exactly dominate your schedule from last year. You are not objective at all.
07-14-2016 03:02 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(07-14-2016 03:02 PM)rosewater Wrote:  
(07-14-2016 01:16 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

I do not agree with any of your gobeldy goop. You cannot predict these games one at a time before the season starts. If you lose any game inside your division and lose out side your division than it is highly unlikely that you are in the championship game for instance a loss at Memphis and a loss to Cincinnati. I gave Houston a 70 percent chance of winning their division which is pretty fair. A match-up with the best of the field in the East is 50/50 at best. Keep in mind that you have not played a game this year and did not exactly dominate your schedule from last year. You are not objective at all.

You essentially want to dig deep into Houston's worst case scenarios, and just assume the best for our competition. That's not the way probability works.

I think I've had a math-related argument with you before, and it went down this same road. I am convinced your background has to be in liberal arts (no shame in that, but nothing else makes sense), and therefore this is just foreign to you, because I went above and beyond to be reasonable. The fact that you are sticking by the 50/50 call for the title game is ridiculous.

I'll leave it at this, Vegas knows better than you do.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2016 03:45 PM by Kronke.)
07-14-2016 03:11 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

Haha, I just noticed you actually said that we'd be 50/50 "at best" in the title game, so as to imply there exists zero instances where the runaway favorite to win the conference would be favored in the title game. For that to make sense with Vegas' odds, we'd have to be a >100% favorite to win the West.

Words mean things. Suggestion: Try choosing yours more carefully.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2016 03:46 PM by Kronke.)
07-14-2016 03:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.