Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Board of Governors Approve Joan C. Edwards Stadium Beer Sales...
Bookmark and Share
GreenSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: Thundering Herd
July 12, 2016

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – The Marshall University Board of Governors approved the expansion of beer sales into the chairback sections on the west side of Joan C. Edwards Stadium in a Tuesday afternoon meeting. The measure had also been approved by the Big Green Scholarship Foundation Board.

Beer will now be available in sections 108, 110, 112, 114, 116 and 118.

Since 2005, beer had only been sold in the stadium’s Big Green Room and could not be taken outside. Moving forward, Big Green Room purchases will continue and cans of 16-ounce beer may also be purchased from servers in those sections.

Athletics will increase security measures in those sections this seasons and Sodexo, the University’s concessions vendor, will provide appropriate training to its staff members.

“Before moving forward with additional selling points, we felt this trial run, of sorts, was necessary,” said Marshall Director of Athletics Mike Hamrick. “This is a growing trend in college athletics and this approach has been used recently at other schools, including Ohio State, Penn State and Pittsburgh.”

Marshall will open the season at home against Morgan State on Sept. 10.

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-footbl/...16aaa.html
07-12-2016 02:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hop45 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
RE: Board of Governors Approve Joan C. Edwards Stadium Beer Sales...
Congrats!!!! 04-cheers
07-12-2016 02:50 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
going to be some mad folks that they are restricting it to the chairbacks.
07-12-2016 02:56 PM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-12-2016 02:56 PM)banker Wrote:  going to be some mad folks that they are restricting it to the chairbacks.

I would assume they will use it as a ploy/incentive for some fans to buy chairback seat season tix. Amazes me the thought process that goes through some heads at MU. 03-idea
07-12-2016 03:17 PM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
FAU 2 years ago allowed sales in the entire stadium, with ID checking stations. Beer sales is a HUGE revenue producer and in light of all our instituions financial cutbacks from the TV deal should be a no brainer in every CUSA stadium.
07-12-2016 03:26 PM
Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Congratulations! I wonder if we will ever see that in North Carolina. I guess visitors do not generally end up in these sections, so you will lose a few bucks on me.

Interesting that you are doing 16 oz cans. Is this tied into a beer sponsorship that limits what you can serve? These days a 16 oz cup of craft brew would seem a more likely choice.
07-12-2016 03:28 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
At Western it slows the line and sales down but EACH beer is opened by the seller and poured into a 16 oz cup. Keeps cans from being thrown. Drunks makes bad decisions all the time...don't know if it's good to give someone a 16 oz can they can throw.

Unless something like that happens I think this will be stadium wide before the end of the season..or latest next year. Going to be a money maker, for sure. Hell the guy sitting two seats from mine drunk at least 10 ...$6 beers during the Marshall game and that's only after we started counting. Seem like he or his friend was getting up every 15 minutes and coming back with two beers
07-12-2016 03:38 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

It was impossible to get a beer every 15 minutes at that game. Slowest line I have encountered. Akron did beer sales the best. They had those bottom up machines that fill a 16 ounce in about 2 seconds and filled 4 beers at a time.
07-12-2016 04:09 PM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Not the biggest fan of this. I remember going to Memphis a few years back and some clown in the same section threw up a couple of times and caused everybody to evacuate about five or six rows of the whole section.

If Middle Tennessee ever goes to it, I hope the sale/use of an ID bracelet will have a way to limit the #s of beers.
07-12-2016 04:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MarshallHerdFanz Offline
1st String

(07-12-2016 03:17 PM)SVHerd Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 02:56 PM)banker Wrote:  going to be some mad folks that they are restricting it to the chairbacks.

I would assume they will use it as a ploy/incentive for some fans to buy chairback seat season tix. Amazes me the thought process that goes through some heads at MU. 03-idea

Chair backs can be bought single game purchase this year so I bet this helps.
07-12-2016 04:17 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2016 04:09 PM)banker Wrote:  It was impossible to get a beer every 15 minutes at that game. Slowest line I have encountered. Akron did beer sales the best. They had those bottom up machines that fill a 16 ounce in about 2 seconds and filled 4 beers at a time.

Depending on where you went to. I hardly ever buy food/drinks at the game but my son has no problem getting food or something to drink after a TD or media timeout. The most he will miss is couple minutes. If you only check the ones by the visitor sections..that could be the problem. But hey...Marshall fans wouldn't have missed much if they had to stand in line for 20-30 minutes....other than Western scoring and scoring and scoring05-stirthepot

And there are vendors walking around at the end of the isles, My seat(s) are at the end of the isle (on the 50..old side)
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2016 04:20 PM by WKUYG.)
07-12-2016 04:20 PM
Advertisement

MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
I don't get the people that think this is bad. The ones that buy beer most likely have already been drinking so it's not like they arnt already alchohol fueled. The ones that are absolutely wasted most likely would be that way beer or no beer sales. Do they think that the stadium is sober for a football game? Do they really think beer sales will cause the whole stadium to trim into a gladiator filled arena where everyone is drunk, fighting or puking or all of the above?

So it's in chair back sections... Wondering does that mean vendors walking the isles or those concessions under it are the only ones selling it?
07-12-2016 04:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(07-12-2016 04:38 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  I don't get the people that think this is bad. The ones that buy beer most likely have already been drinking so it's not like they arnt already alchohol fueled. The ones that are absolutely wasted most likely would be that way beer or no beer sales. Do they think that the stadium is sober for a football game? Do they really think beer sales will cause the whole stadium to trim into a gladiator filled arena where everyone is drunk, fighting or puking or all of the above?

So it's in chair back sections... Wondering does that mean vendors walking the isles or those concessions under it are the only ones selling it?

Agree with you. This is not a problem at Rice football, baseball, or basketball. However, beer sales are restricted to certain areas of the football and baseball stadiums. We can take our 16-ounce cans to our seats at basketball games.
07-12-2016 04:49 PM
owlcountry40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
(07-12-2016 03:26 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  FAU 2 years ago allowed sales in the entire stadium, with ID checking stations. Beer sales is a HUGE revenue producer and in light of all our instituions financial cutbacks from the TV deal should be a no brainer in every CUSA stadium.
Florida Atlantic might be the only on campus student section to have beer
07-12-2016 05:06 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

won't stop the ones that tailgate and understand the curvature of the pint....

it's a no-brainer any way you look at it....

#passionfromthecup
07-12-2016 05:08 PM
stinkfist Offline

(07-12-2016 04:49 PM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 04:38 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  I don't get the people that think this is bad. The ones that buy beer most likely have already been drinking so it's not like they arnt already alchohol fueled. The ones that are absolutely wasted most likely would be that way beer or no beer sales. Do they think that the stadium is sober for a football game? Do they really think beer sales will cause the whole stadium to trim into a gladiator filled arena where everyone is drunk, fighting or puking or all of the above?

Agree with you. This is not a problem at Rice football, baseball, or basketball. However, beer sales are restricted to certain areas of the football and baseball stadiums. We can take our 16-ounce cans to our seats at basketball games.

my only visit to Rice stadium was shocking how the pizza/beer line never changed in length....

and yeah, that was 'that' year 03-wink

left after the 3rd and imbibed in the district.....or whatever you guys call it...
07-12-2016 05:12 PM
Advertisement

CyrusJS Offline
2nd String

(07-12-2016 05:06 PM)owlcountry40 Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 03:26 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  FAU 2 years ago allowed sales in the entire stadium, with ID checking stations. Beer sales is a HUGE revenue producer and in light of all our instituions financial cutbacks from the TV deal should be a no brainer in every CUSA stadium.
Florida Atlantic might be the only on campus student section to have beer

WKU sells beer in every sections, student sections included.
07-12-2016 05:47 PM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(07-12-2016 05:12 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  my only visit to Rice stadium was shocking how the pizza/beer line never changed in length....

left after the 3rd and imbibed in the district.....or whatever you guys call it...

Are you talking about the 2015 game, which was Homecoming? If so, I hope you understand the reason Rice fans were lined up to drown their sorrows. 04-cheers

I assume you are referring to the numerous bars in the Rice Village, just west of the football stadium and campus.
07-12-2016 05:47 PM
stinkfist Offline

(07-12-2016 05:47 PM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 05:12 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  my only visit to Rice stadium was shocking how the pizza/beer line never changed in length....

Are you talking about the 2015 game, which was Homecoming? If so, I hope you understand the reason Rice fans were lined up to drown their sorrows. 04-cheers

I assume you are referring to the numerous bars in the Rice Village, just west of the football stadium and campus.

naw....in '12 when you ran all over us....was dating a chem eng in houston at the time....crazy, eh?

what a beautiful campus/surrounding area you guys have....was thoroughly impressed....especially getting to park 20 yds from the gate...that was my only win that day ;_)

edit: and yes....the village...thank you...it's time to take my pass-out horse pills now 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2016 10:03 PM by stinkfist.)
07-12-2016 10:02 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
Well, I'm not moving from my beloved end zone seats. It's a shame they have just chosen to cater to the "chairback Jacks". I will just continue to buy my beer at a MUCH cheaper price and tailgate before the game and at halftime. Too bad, because I would have paid the extra money for the convenience of having beer in the stadium. 03-nutkick
07-13-2016 09:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.