Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Looks like USM has taken a step backwards once again in scheduling...
Bookmark and Share
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Looks like USM has taken a step backwards once again in scheduling...
...has signed a prostitute contract with Auburn in football in football for 2018 and 2020...sigh
07-07-2016 09:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: Looks like USM has taken a step backwards once again in scheduling...
(07-07-2016 09:33 AM)nastybunch Wrote:  ...has signed a prostitute contract with Auburn in football in football for 2018 and 2020...sigh

Paying for the loss of tv revenue? Might see more schools in the conference following suit.
07-07-2016 09:36 AM
TheChosenOne Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Home Team
I'll take Auburn scheduling over powerhouse 'Southern University' at Baton Rouge and home and home with ULM..... More respect playing Auburn than other two. Just my two cents
07-07-2016 09:45 AM
banker Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
I imagine we'll have to come off our stance on no buy games also. Sucks, but it is what it is. I hope if we do one it's with Penn State, haven't had a chance to go to a game there and the We Are...chant would get interesting. If we got a lead and started it up it would be fun to hear their 100,000 fans working to drown us out.
07-07-2016 09:47 AM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

It's the current state of being a G5 member. We have a crappy TV contract, and this will help cover it. I'm glad it's against someone in region and someone that could be foreseeably competitive if current trends persist.
07-07-2016 09:55 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

Would you like to provide the loss in funds from our terrible tv deal? At least this way we're playing a respectable team. Prostitution insinuates you're going to go in there, take the beating, and go home with your money. How about we just go in there and win and show them who the real loser is.

Oh, and if you ever want to get into the Access Bowl talk, you're going to need good wins, not Troy and Arkansas State on the schedule every year. That's not a smack at them, just saying they want to see the CUSA Champ has taken down some P5 schools.
07-07-2016 09:58 AM
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
WKU has always played the Alabama, LSU's of the world....Mainly our players want to play in these type of games and have stated so often...Our guys were hyped for the LSU game last season as well when we have played Bama in the past...
07-07-2016 10:07 AM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
Maybe our conference commissioner could give back some of her enormous salary to help out the cause. Talk about a waste of money...........
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 10:25 AM by KAjunRaider.)
07-07-2016 10:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GCEagle Offline
Special Teams

It'd be great to get a home and home with a 'power 5' school, but we aren't getting one of those every year. Let's go in there, whip their asses and take their money.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 11:10 AM by GCEagle.)
07-07-2016 10:28 AM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Given the current state of our athletic finances, I don't see how you can criticize this series. Plus, it is a longtime opponent. I like it. It will also help recruiting.
07-07-2016 10:33 AM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
(07-07-2016 10:28 AM)GCEagle Wrote:  It'd be great to get a home and home with a 'power 5' school, but we aren't getting one of those every year. Let's go in their, whip their asses and take their money.

That's the attitude.
07-07-2016 10:35 AM
Advertisement

wkuhilltopperfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
WKU try's to play a winnable p5 game along with a high paying Hail Mary game . We need that large pay check
07-07-2016 10:36 AM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

Rice has made a living from scheduling body bag games. It sucks that the team has to take such a beating, but it pays the bills. There's no other choice.
07-07-2016 10:40 AM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

Just saw this...

Quote:The Hattiesburg American obtained the signed game contracts via an open records request. According to those documents, Auburn will pay Southern Miss a combined total of $3.55 million for the two home games — $1.7 million for the first, and $1.85 for the second.

How do we turn down that much money?

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story.../86799446/
07-07-2016 10:40 AM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

(07-07-2016 10:40 AM)usmbacker Wrote:  Just saw this...

Quote:The Hattiesburg American obtained the signed game contracts via an open records request. According to those documents, Auburn will pay Southern Miss a combined total of $3.55 million for the two home games — $1.7 million for the first, and $1.85 for the second.

You don't. You can't.
07-07-2016 10:43 AM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-07-2016 09:45 AM)TheChosenOne Wrote:  I'll take Auburn scheduling over powerhouse 'Southern University' at Baton Rouge and home and home with ULM..... More respect playing Auburn than other two. Just my two cents

Amen to that
07-07-2016 11:00 AM
Advertisement

wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers

Drive-able game for the fanbase too.
07-07-2016 11:15 AM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-07-2016 10:33 AM)usmbacker Wrote:  Given the current state of our athletic finances, I don't see how you can criticize this series. Plus, it is a longtime opponent. I like it. It will also help recruiting.

USM has a long history with Bama and Auburn being especially heated during the Bear Bryant and Shug Jordan days. Seems they were always around to pitch in and help out when we were in a bad financial pinch. I am still mad at Auburn though for the way one of our games ended about 30yrs ago. We were behind about three points if I remember correctly with less than a minute to go and on their 1-2yard line. We ran it through the line, failed to score, and they piled on top and peeled off so slowly time ran out without another play. Dang, that was a long trip home.
07-07-2016 11:25 AM
Doots4Dawgs Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

Never turn that down.
07-07-2016 11:27 AM
herdinva Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall

You cant turn it down. Not with the way things are right now. I hate to say it but Marshall may have to do something similar. It goes against what we have been trying to do and have done with future schedules but you gotta pay the bills. I think the last one that was played as a one and done money game was against Ohio St., I believe it was Doc's first year. Under Snyder with Marcum as the AD, there were several, Wisconsin, we let Miami off the hook for an unknown reason (2-1, never played the return game in Huntington), I think (could be wrong) we let UT off the hook as well. Only excuse we ever got from Marcum was "they woulda never came here anyways" which we have proven to be BS. To date we got Kansas St. (2-1, completed series), WVU(don't remember the final tally, but they played twice in Huntington), Purdue(1-1), UL (this year, completing a 1-1), Cincy (when it was still big east, 1-1), we have NC St scheduled, Pitt, seems like I am leaving another out, all for 1-1.

My only question is say we start scheduling money games, with never a return game. Does it give the middling power 5 schools more bargaining power once they see you are willing to give others a 1 and done contract? catch 22 looks like.
07-07-2016 11:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.