Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What's new and distinctive at Rice?
TCU2002 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU-IU-VU-DC
What's new and distinctive at Rice?
I will be paying a visit to Rice next week, and I turn to this board for a little 'pre-heating' in terms of knowing what to look out for while on campus.

Through the eyes of a prospective undergraduate student (which I am not, but that's the lens I am using), what is new and/or distinctive on the Rice campus. Possibilities include:
  • Recently completed campus facilities
  • Indispensible or especially meaningful campus spots
  • Places or programs found "nowhere else but Rice"
  • Programmatic offerings that are truly a cut above
  • Facilities or programmatic offerings that, frankly, Rice needs to improve

The prospective undergraduate student lens is key, as I am sure there are aspects of the Rice campus or Rice program that would be compelling to a deep blue alum, a professional academic, a prospective graduate student, or an architecture buff, that won't be top of mind to a high school junior or senior. If someone is looking at how Rice stacks up with peer institutions, or other mid-sized residential universities in general, what is going to stand out? What *should* stand out.

Many thanks! 04-bow
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2016 01:21 PM by TCU2002.)
07-06-2016 01:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: What's new and distinctive at Rice?
(07-06-2016 01:17 PM)TCU2002 Wrote:  

I'm not sure if this is a troll, but I'll reply anyways...

1) I would suggest checking out Duncan and McMurtry Colleges, and their associated servery (dining hall). They are very nice dorms, with beautiful common areas and lounge spaces. A couple other nice, new buildings on campus are the Glassock School of Continuing Studies and Brockman Hall for Physics. Grab a coffee or lunch at Brochstein Pavilion while you're at it.
2) The central, academic quad is definitely the most beautiful spot at Rice. Beautiful, original buildings with a well manicured lawn and hedges. More underrated is the walk from the main entrance on Main St. to the Academic Quad. I love the way the trees line the street and provide cover from sun. The main lobby of the Baker Institute is also a beautiful spot.
3/4) The Shepherd School of Music is one of the best in the country, and its nearby James Turrell Skyspace is loved by many at sunset (although it doesn't do much for me).. The BioResearch Collaborative on the southeast side of campus is also unique. We have many high ranking programs, but I'm not sure how you would exactly "see" these as a visitor. Maybe contact a professor whose research you are particularly interested in?
5) Rice Stadium for one (although you can see our new end zone facility), Hanszen College, Rice Memorial Center (Student Center).. Maybe Herzstein Hall?
07-06-2016 02:15 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(07-06-2016 01:17 PM)TCU2002 Wrote:  I will be paying a visit to Rice next week, and I turn to this board for a little 'pre-heating' in terms of knowing what to look out for while on campus.

Through the eyes of a prospective undergraduate student (which I am not, but that's the lens I am using), what is new and/or distinctive on the Rice campus. Possibilities include:

The prospective undergraduate student lens is key, as I am sure there are aspects of the Rice campus or Rice program that would be compelling to a deep blue alum, a professional academic, a prospective graduate student, or an architecture buff, that won't be top of mind to a high school junior or senior. If someone is looking at how Rice stacks up with peer institutions, or other mid-sized residential universities in general, what is going to stand out? What *should* stand out.

Many thanks! 04-bow

- Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen. The statistics are amazing: a visit to the OEDK correlates with a 2x increase in the likelihood that an admitted student will attend.
- Gibbs Recreation Center
07-06-2016 02:40 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
TCU2002 is not a troll, except his loyalties lie elsewhere. A native Houstonian. Maybe a TCU version of Afflicted?

There is a lot of meaning in the decorative work on the original buildings on the campus. I was the beneficiary of a tour during Homecoming a few years back. I don't think there are any tours now, but you ought to be able to find some sort of guide on the Internet.

A lot of the newer buildings on the campus I have never been to, so a walk around campus is the best thing I can recommend. I believe there is a Duncan Hall with some special architecture, but I am not sure you can just wander in.

Maybe try the virtual tour first.

Enjoy your visit and keep us on your kids' list!
07-06-2016 03:07 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

(07-06-2016 03:07 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  A lot of the newer buildings on the campus I have never been to, so a walk around campus is the best thing I can recommend. I believe there is a Duncan Hall with some special architecture, but I am not sure you can just wander in.

You should be able to wander in. The building has a pretty open floor plan so don't hesitate to go upstairs. Duncan Hall is certainly unique, whether in a good or bad way is up for debate.
07-06-2016 03:14 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
If you've never been, Reckling Park is worth a stop. Great view of the Med Center beyond the outfield wall.
07-06-2016 03:47 PM
Advertisement

Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
(07-06-2016 03:07 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  TCU2002 is not a troll, except his loyalties lie elsewhere. A native Houstonian. Maybe a TCU version of Afflicted?

There is a lot of meaning in the decorative work on the original buildings on the campus. I was the beneficiary of a tour during Homecoming a few years back. I don't think there are any tours now, but you ought to be able to find some sort of guide on the Internet.

A lot of the newer buildings on the campus I have never been to, so a walk around campus is the best thing I can recommend. I believe there is a Duncan Hall with some special architecture, but I am not sure you can just wander in.

Maybe try the virtual tour first.

Enjoy your visit and keep us on your kids' list!

I'm Red Troll
07-06-2016 05:00 PM
Klobasnek Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-06-2016 03:07 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  There is a lot of meaning in the decorative work on the original buildings on the campus. I was the beneficiary of a tour during Homecoming a few years back. I don't think there are any tours now, but you ought to be able to find some sort of guide on the Internet.

Like this one that the Chronicle did last year.
07-06-2016 05:06 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
Baker College's commons, the original dining hall for "The Institute," has a distinctive Harry Potter appeal:

[Image: 11101581.jpg]
07-06-2016 05:45 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(07-06-2016 05:06 PM)Klobasnek Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 03:07 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  There is a lot of meaning in the decorative work on the original buildings on the campus. I was the beneficiary of a tour during Homecoming a few years back. I don't think there are any tours now, but you ought to be able to find some sort of guide on the Internet.

Like this one that the Chronicle did last year.

Those and many more details about Rice's early buildings can be found in Architecture prof James Morehead's charming little 1984 (revised in 1990) book, "Walking Tour of Rice University" -- https://scholarship.rice.edu/bitstream/h...00more.pdf
07-06-2016 05:51 PM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(07-06-2016 01:17 PM)TCU2002 Wrote:  I will be paying a visit to Rice next week, and I turn to this board for a little 'pre-heating' in terms of knowing what to look out for while on campus.

Many thanks! 04-bow

I think there have been some high rankings in recent polls (Happiest Students, or Student Life type rankings, not just the typical USN&WR stuff), but I suspect that you've got most of those researched. By mentioning them here, I'm hoping you might get some detailed responses in that vein.

To the younger crowd TCU2002 is not a troll, but a long-time message board poster and generally a solid guy.
07-06-2016 08:31 PM
Advertisement

grOWLer Offline
2nd String

(07-06-2016 05:45 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  Baker College's commons, the original dining hall for "The Institute," has a distinctive Harry Potter appeal:

[Image: 11101581.jpg]

Where are the ceiling fans? When I was a freshman in 1956, everyone ate in this facility, which was then the East Hall Commons. As the dorms were not air conditioned then, there were ceiling fans in the Commons. The head of the Institute's dining was known as Ma Hardy and the food was barely edible. One evening, when we had spaghetti and meat balls that were borderline, some disgruntled male (females all lived off campus until Jones opened in 1957) tossed a meat ball up into the ceiling fan, which then quite a few copied, with meat balls flying around the Commons. That was as close as we got to a food fight.

In April, 1957, the colleges opened up, each with their own commons and food facility and the food improved remarkably. From the comments of recent graduates, the food is way, way better now. Couldn't have gotten much worse.
07-06-2016 09:41 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
If you want a unique perspective the video presentation during the Centennial Celebration fills that spot nicely.

I like this version since it gives you a perspective of the Quad before the show.

https://vimeo.com/53959151
07-06-2016 09:43 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(07-06-2016 09:43 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  If you want a unique perspective the video presentation during the Centennial Celebration fills that spot nicely.

I like this version since it gives you a perspective of the Quad before the show.

I forgot just how great that was. Thanks for posting. I'd still like to see a way scaled down version of that for a basketball entrance like they did for the Final Four. It would really get people pumped up and look very professional. Maybe students could design it as a cross discipline project. Art/sports management/engineering.
07-06-2016 10:30 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(07-06-2016 10:30 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 09:43 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  If you want a unique perspective the video presentation during the Centennial Celebration fills that spot nicely.

I forgot just how great that was. Thanks for posting. I'd still like to see a way scaled down version of that for a basketball entrance like they did for the Final Four. It would really get people pumped up and look very professional. Maybe students could design it as a cross discipline project. Art/sports management/engineering.

With the new lighting in Tudor (LED which will allow lights off and quickly back on which we couldn't do previously) hopefully one of the next things will be laser capability. I have suggested the laser Owl, like in the video, swooping through the arena and finally landing at center court as the Owls enter.
07-07-2016 08:25 AM
TCU2002 Offline
Bench Warmer

Just to follow up on this, I was at Rice on Tuesday morning. To my recollection, it was only the second time I have explored the interior of campus. Other visits have been limited to Rice Stadium or Reckling Park.

I did make it to the OECK - a very important spot for any prospective engineering student. A cool place.

The Baker Institute building is awesome. The center room's Byzantine and eastern Mediterranean style is beautiful and impressive.

I thought the Student Center was a disappointment. Are Rice students satisfied with this building, or is it subject to complaints?

The autonomous nature of the residential colleges certainly seems like a distinct feature of Rice student life. I gathered that the colleges really govern how new students are inculturated into Rice, how they experience orientation, when and whether they must move off campus for a year, etc. I admire this hands off approach to a large degree, but I wonder if it creates any problems. Most universities are seeking, if anything, to more tightly control the student experience. Many administrators probably see this as a necessity in order to have a centralized, unambiguous approach to issues around diversity and campus climate, sexual assault prevention and response, high risk behavior such as binge drinking and drug abuse, etc.

I am also curious if anyone on this board is or was involved with the Rice Catholic Student Center (currently located on Sunset, though the address is on Bolsover).

Thanks for the input!
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2016 11:41 AM by TCU2002.)
07-13-2016 11:08 AM
Advertisement

cr11owl Offline
All American

For awhile I've heard that the student center was the next potential renovation. For undergrads the main draw is the bar in the basement "Willys Pub" often referred to as just "Pub". Overall it could definitely use a facelift.

Residential colleges were one of the top if not the top reason I chose Rice. They make the experience very different from most other universities and their Greek life. They have lost some autonomy but are still governed by students to a large extent.
07-13-2016 11:40 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

(07-13-2016 11:40 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  For awhile I've heard that the student center was the next potential renovation. For undergrads the main draw is the bar in the basement "Willys Pub" often referred to as just "Pub". Overall it could definitely use a facelift.

Residential colleges were one of the top if not the top reason I chose Rice. They make the experience very different from most other universities and their Greek life. They have lost some autonomy but are still governed by students to a large extent.

I would also say that each residential college's commons serve the "hangout" purpose of some student centers at other schools. That said, it could definitely be spruced up.

One thing I wish they would do in the RMC is replace the crappy food vendors with a name brand, preferably Whataburger or Chick-Fil-A!

With regard to the Catholic Student Center, I am not Catholic but have been to mass there with friends before and attendance is always pretty good, especially at the Sunday evening one. They also have some good service opportunities, IIRC.
07-13-2016 11:53 AM
TCU2002 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-13-2016 11:53 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(07-13-2016 11:40 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  For awhile I've heard that the student center was the next potential renovation. For undergrads the main draw is the bar in the basement "Willys Pub" often referred to as just "Pub". Overall it could definitely use a facelift.

I would also say that each residential college's commons serve the "hangout" purpose of some student centers at other schools. That said, it could definitely be spruced up.

One thing I wish they would do in the RMC is replace the crappy food vendors with a name brand, preferably Whataburger or Chick-Fil-A!

With regard to the Catholic Student Center, I am not Catholic but have been to mass there with friends before and attendance is always pretty good, especially at the Sunday evening one. They also have some good service opportunities, IIRC.

If Whataburger was on campus when I was in college, I would probably be dead.
07-13-2016 11:58 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-13-2016 11:58 AM)TCU2002 Wrote:  
(07-13-2016 11:53 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  

If Whataburger was on campus when I was in college, I would probably be dead.

If you had consistently eaten the food on campus when I was at Rice (quite a while back), I'm not sure the end result would have been much better. My understanding is the food quality has improved significantly since that time. But yes, having a What-a-burger on campus would have been dangerous!
07-13-2016 12:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.