Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA fines?
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
NCAA fines?
I know the NCAA required Penn St. to donate money to charity, but I don't remember actual fines.

Read today that they fined Jackson St. $5,000 and put the tennis team on one year probation. The coach used an ineligible player using the name of an eligible player. The now former coach also had a 2 year show cause penalty.
07-02-2016 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: NCAA fines?
(07-02-2016 09:16 AM)bullet Wrote:  I know the NCAA required Penn St. to donate money to charity, but I don't remember actual fines.

Read today that they fined Jackson St. $5,000 and put the tennis team on one year probation. The coach used an ineligible player using the name of an eligible player. The now former coach also had a 2 year show cause penalty.

Eh, tennis. It's a dirty racket!
07-02-2016 09:20 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(07-02-2016 09:20 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-02-2016 09:16 AM)bullet Wrote:  I know the NCAA required Penn St. to donate money to charity, but I don't remember actual fines.

Eh, tennis. It's a dirty racket!

I guess they don't have money in the HBCUs so they cheat in other ways. I remember Texas Southern had football players who had dropped out (and half the band weren't even students).
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 09:34 AM by bullet.)
07-02-2016 09:34 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Maybe the recordkeeping in college tennis, and the low profile of the sport, makes some coaches think they can get away with stuff like that. Boise State was busted by the NCAA several years ago because their women's tennis coach played ineligible players -- IIRC both players who hadn't yet enrolled in school and players whose eligibility was over played for Boise in varsity matches. That coach also got a show cause penalty.
07-02-2016 12:09 PM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
My personal opinion is that the NCAA should not sanction golf or tennis as varsity intercollegiate athletics.

If people want to organize club teams at schools, fine.
07-03-2016 09:16 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(07-03-2016 09:16 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  My personal opinion is that the NCAA should not sanction golf or tennis as varsity intercollegiate athletics.

If people want to organize club teams at schools, fine.

With all the arrests, the best argument for not sanctioning a sport is football. Tennis players and golfers usually are good students who tend not to embarrass the school.
07-03-2016 09:46 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
NCAA assesses fines.
AState had a hoops player who got access to the password and credentials to order merchandise on the university account. He ordered $5k worth of stuff and the director of basketball operations panicked and let him abscond with the stuff. Before the assistant AD for paying the bills figured it out the player got kicked off the team for other issues (who'd a thunk it right?).

Director of basketball ops got fired, school called in NCAA. In the NCAA report in choosing to not impose a show cause on the DBO said "he was holding his first high responsibility job and clearly was not savvy in dealing with thieves" held the firing was sufficient.

But did fine AState for not securing access to the ordering system better and not having a better tracking system to verify orders were proper.

Fines are part of the enforcement structure and they are payable to the NCAA.
07-05-2016 08:10 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Another school to watch is Alabama have some self reporting infractions including 5 in football.
07-05-2016 05:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.