Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I'm confident Texas will end up in the B1G
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
I'm confident Texas will end up in the B1G
As of today Texas makes by far the most money through TV contracts at $45 million. With the new B1G TV contract, Texas will be able to get a higher payout through the B1G money without BTN money. This would increase the amount of money Texas gets from a TV deal by over $10 million a year. Closer to $15 million increase.

The B1G will be able to manage the LHN with BTN. Games that involve Texas at B1G schools (road games) can be on BTN. The home games for Texas would be on the LHN.

Academics matter to Texas. That eliminates the SEC.

I'm not going to continue writing on and on for why I think Texas ends up in the B1G, but I'm very confident it happens.

And I predict it happens BEFORE the next B1G TV contract - thus, within the next 5 years.
07-01-2016 02:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
RE: I'm confident Texas will end up in the B1G
ESPN would jump at the opportunity to dump the LHN. If I were a betting man I'd say that the B1G assumes responsibility making sure Texas gets their scheduled payments but the LHN is dissolved. The B1G can't make nearly as much money if Texas isn't on BTN. There's no way in hell ESPN reups any kind of deal with a single school again. So the best option would simply be for the BTN to acquire LHN, pay Texas their promised distributions and after the original deal with ESPN is up then go to a regular member status.
Another compromise might be to shorten the integration period into the B1G for reducing the payouts to Texas. One thing I'm sure of... Texas will win because of the leverage they have if (BIG IF HERE) they have any interest joining at all.
07-01-2016 02:55 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Except that Texas would refuse to give its secondary TV rights to the Big Ten, and would demand a full share of the conference distribution (minus BTN money) and full access to Big Ten bowl ties, while being allowed to keep its LHN deal in place and getting paid $15M/year in addition to everything else.

So much for that idea.
07-01-2016 03:29 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(07-01-2016 02:38 PM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  As of today Texas makes by far the most money through TV contracts at $45 million. With the new B1G TV contract, Texas will be able to get a higher payout through the B1G money without BTN money. This would increase the amount of money Texas gets from a TV deal by over $10 million a year. Closer to $15 million increase.

The B1G will be able to manage the LHN with BTN. Games that involve Texas at B1G schools (road games) can be on BTN. The home games for Texas would be on the LHN.

I'm not going to continue writing on and on for why I think Texas ends up in the B1G, but I'm very confident it happens.

And I predict it happens BEFORE the next B1G TV contract - thus, within the next 5 years.

The Big Ten won't let UT keep the LHN. UT won't give it up. Stalemate.

Cheers!
07-01-2016 03:34 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
So...we're to recycling stories from a few years ago. Nice...
07-01-2016 03:39 PM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(07-01-2016 03:39 PM)miko33 Wrote:  So...we're to recycling stories from a few years ago. Nice...
You make it sound like a bad thing
07-01-2016 03:41 PM
Advertisement

miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(07-01-2016 03:41 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(07-01-2016 03:39 PM)miko33 Wrote:  So...we're to recycling stories from a few years ago. Nice...
You make it sound like a bad thing

Meet the new idea - same as the old idea.
07-01-2016 03:43 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
GREG SWAIM ‏@GSwaim · 3h3 hours ago

Ironically the reason Boren backed off of strong expansion stance is that #Sooners will go to #SEC, and #UT to #B1G, when GOR and #LHN end.

And yes, part of the #Sooners going to the #SEC as the 15th team will likely be #OKState as the 16th, per Boren's request. #Bedlam

07-01-2016 03:53 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

(07-01-2016 03:53 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  GREG SWAIM ‏@GSwaim · 3h3 hours ago

Ironically the reason Boren backed off of strong expansion stance is that #Sooners will go to #SEC, and #UT to #B1G, when GOR and #LHN end.

And yes, part of the #Sooners going to the #SEC as the 15th team will likely be #OKState as the 16th, per Boren's request. #Bedlam

Swaim is well known to make things up on the fly for ratings. Go through his tweets for some good laughs.
07-01-2016 03:56 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
I'll bite for fun.

Who is coming with Texas?
07-01-2016 04:01 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Really? You have to ask?

You haven't seen the countless posts of NebFan trying to pigeonhole the Big Ten into picking up his old Big 12 buddies??
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 04:10 PM by MplsBison.)
07-01-2016 04:10 PM
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

(07-01-2016 04:01 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  I'll bite for fun.

Who is coming with Texas?

Doesn't matter much to me who would come with....obvious targets would be Texas Tech, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma.

The main point is getting into Texas. The rest is just side dressing.
07-01-2016 04:32 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Nebfan doesn't have much to do these days.
07-01-2016 04:33 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(07-01-2016 02:38 PM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  As of today Texas makes by far the most money through TV contracts at $45 million. With the new B1G TV contract, Texas will be able to get a higher payout through the B1G money without BTN money. This would increase the amount of money Texas gets from a TV deal by over $10 million a year. Closer to $15 million increase.

Texas DOESN'T get 45 million thru TV contracts. I'm assuming you are using the 30 million figure from the Big 12. Well that's for everything- not just TV.
07-01-2016 04:42 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
UT is a foundation of a conference. Not an add on.
07-01-2016 04:51 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: I'm confident Texas will end up in the B1G

Uhhhh. Ok
07-01-2016 04:58 PM
Advertisement

33laszlo99 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bama
(07-01-2016 02:55 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  ESPN would jump at the opportunity to dump the LHN. If I were a betting man I'd say that the B1G assumes responsibility making sure Texas gets their scheduled payments but the LHN is dissolved. The B1G can't make nearly as much money if Texas isn't on BTN. There's no way in hell ESPN reups any kind of deal with a single school again. So the best option would simply be for the BTN to acquire LHN, pay Texas their promised distributions and after the original deal with ESPN is up then go to a regular member status.
Another compromise might be to shorten the integration period into the B1G for reducing the payouts to Texas. One thing I'm sure of... Texas will win because of the leverage they have if (BIG IF HERE) they have any interest joining at all.
Ron, ESPN doesn't want to dump the LHN. They didn't form the LHN because they thought it would be a revenue bonanza. It was strategic device to inhibit Texas from moving to a "non-ESPN" conference and to prevent the formation of a Big12 network by FOX or anyone else except ESPN. They will gladly ride the LHN to expiry: 2031.
07-01-2016 08:15 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
It's not going to happen. Delaney and his disciples would never create a UT and staple Big 10 dichotomy that would never coalesce. OU and KU are the plays, not UT, certainly not a Bedlam game. Not even the SEC need that.

Until then, UT needs OU and KU and vice versa.

What would it take to get OU and KU out in the next couple years? I don't know. Gonna probably be after the GoR expires.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 08:54 PM by RUScarlets.)
07-01-2016 08:52 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Texas wants to be the big fish. They don't care what size the pond is, which is why they are still in the B12. When they loose that status they will move on. They can't be the big fish in the B1G or the SEC.

With all that in mind, expect a Texas to the B1G announcement next week.
07-01-2016 09:17 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Texas is going west with ou and ku + instate friends

Pac 18

West: usc, ucla, cal, Stan, oreg, Osu, wash, wsu, asu

East: Texas, Tex tech, ou, Osu, ku, ksu, col ,Utah, ariz

Football title game and hoop tourney in Las Vegas. Or the other possibility is to jump to 20 with 2 from Iowa State, Houston, TCU and New Mexico.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 08:32 AM by bluesox.)
07-01-2016 09:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.