Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB Booster makes largest individual donation to football program in school history
Bookmark and Share
UABslant Offline

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Exclamation UAB Booster makes largest individual donation to football program in school history
http://s.al.com/ccR4rNb

Longtime Blazer fan & Birmingham businessman Jimmy Filler just gave a $1 million donation to the UAB football program.

That number should put UAB Athletics at just over $40 million raised in the past year. Word is, this is just the start of more big individual donations to be announced. Who would have ever thought UAB would be in this position? Just amazed at what we're doing.
06-28-2016 01:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: UAB Booster makes largest individual donation to football program in school history
(06-28-2016 01:21 PM)UABslant Wrote:  http://s.al.com/ccR4rNb

Longtime Blazer fan & Birmingham businessman Jimmy Filler just gave a $1 million donation to the UAB football program.

That number should put UAB Athletics at just over $40 million raised in the past year. Word is, this is just the start of more big individual donations to be announced. Who would have ever thought UAB would be in this position? Just amazed at what we're doing.
Go Blazers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
06-28-2016 01:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: UAB Booster makes largest individual donation to football program in school history
Now just don't let the crooked politicians drag you back down and you might be able to really build something there

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
06-28-2016 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Congratulations. Looking forward to having your guys back on the field on Saturdays.
06-28-2016 02:16 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(06-28-2016 01:59 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  Now just don't let the crooked politicians drag you back down and you might be able to really build something there

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Agreed. I could see those politicians coming up with the "since you were able to raise $40 million last year you will need to raise that amount every year" kind of BS
06-28-2016 04:36 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Nice
06-28-2016 06:28 PM
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
UAB president Ray L. Watts called this same man a liar in a December 2014 ESPN national broadcast.

Fire Ray Watts.
06-28-2016 06:47 PM
RonBurgundy Offline
Channel 4 News Team

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: UAB Booster makes largest individual donation to football program in school hist
This has to be the feeling for UAB regarding any goals set by the BOT or Alabama politicians to prove they can support their athletics program.

[Image: Admiral-Ackbar-Its-A-Trap.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2016 08:40 PM by RonBurgundy.)
06-28-2016 08:38 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Good for UAB, but cynical side of me wonders where were the donations and support prior to the shutdown... I mean, lets be real, UAB wasn't burning it up fan support wise for a long time. I am well aware of some of the sabotage of the program put on them by a corrupt UA BOT system but still...
06-28-2016 09:42 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(06-28-2016 09:42 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Good for UAB, but cynical side of me wonders where were the donations and support prior to the shutdown... I mean, lets be real, UAB wasn't burning it up fan support wise for a long time. I am well aware of some of the sabotage of the program put on them by a corrupt UA BOT system but still...
They averaged like 25k their last season with a decent team. With a good team, I think they could surpass 30k.

Sure 25k isn't amazing, but it is pretty dams good for a g5 school.
06-28-2016 10:23 PM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(06-28-2016 09:42 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Good for UAB, but cynical side of me wonders where were the donations and support prior to the shutdown... I mean, lets be real, UAB wasn't burning it up fan support wise for a long time. I am well aware of some of the sabotage of the program put on them by a corrupt UA BOT system but still...

in the past large donations for the football program were refused.
06-29-2016 04:56 AM
Advertisement

Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
From this donation, to the new practice facility, to a superior recruiting class, to Bill Clark as your loyal HC, there is lots of positive news coming out of Birmingham. It will be great to have you all back next year. (I hope we are on your schedule, so you get to play all "legacy" conference mates in your first year back...UTEP, USM and Rice are all in the West.)

The only thing that would make this return even sweeter is that your President would take a hike, but guess that's not going to happen, so we'll just join in continuing best wishes for your return!
06-29-2016 06:52 AM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
You may need that money to bribe the crooks in your state's government since they only care about Saban and Alabama football.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2016 08:02 AM by FTW ODU.)
06-29-2016 08:01 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

It wasn't until the recent upheaval that UAB Athletics were allow to launch a public campaign for facilities. Prior to then, as previously stated, boosters tried to make large contributions for things like turf and other football related items and it was inconspicuously denied.

When the UAB situation gained national attention, largely due to an inept president and fanbase that took the fight to the streets, the Business Community decided to now allow Birmingham to be run from Tuscaloosa. This football facility is only part A of the return... the stadium issue is still hung up in court, but by 2018 or 2019 we will be playing in brand new state of the art stadium.
06-29-2016 08:30 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(06-29-2016 08:30 AM)ICB Wrote:  It wasn't until the recent upheaval that UAB Athletics were allow to launch a public campaign for facilities. Prior to then, as previously stated, boosters tried to make large contributions for things like turf and other football related items and it was inconspicuously denied.

Give this a read:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/...kille.html
06-29-2016 10:37 AM
Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I think the AD in Gene Bartow would be very proud of the outcome, especially since little bear came out of this looking petty. Congratulations Blazers!

(p.s. - Not everything Bartow did was great. He allowed Andy Kennedy to play on the team for nine years. I am sure that is true because he was a thorn in our side forever.)
06-29-2016 12:36 PM
Advertisement

FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
Will Watts ever be removed? Is anyone still trying?
06-29-2016 12:57 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
FIU Panther Fan----Will Watts ever be removed? Is anyone still trying?
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2016 01:27 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
06-29-2016 01:26 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(06-29-2016 12:57 PM)FIU Panther Fan Wrote:  Will Watts ever be removed? Is anyone still trying?

That's where we've lost momentum, with some of our allies willing to trade silence for the Board allowing football investment - I did not agree with that deal but was unwilling to wage civil war.

Ray Watts has done massive damage to UAB's standing as an academic and research institution that will last long after football is restored and winning games. The Dept. of Education is currently conducting a Title IX investigation that could be explosive (not related to athletics, but to poor handling of sexual assault cases and deeply shameful treatment of victims).

Watts will be 64 in December, and the thinking is he will retire a year later to his second home in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Few seem willing to make the major effort to oust him a year early.

Fire Ray Watts.
06-29-2016 02:28 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(06-29-2016 06:52 AM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  From this donation, to the new practice facility, to a superior recruiting class, to Bill Clark as your loyal HC, there is lots of positive news coming out of Birmingham. It will be great to have you all back next year. (I hope we are on your schedule, so you get to play all "legacy" conference mates in your first year back...UTEP, USM and Rice are all in the West.)

The only thing that would make this return even sweeter is that your President would take a hike, but guess that's not going to happen, so we'll just join in continuing best wishes for your return!

Will UAB be playing a C-USA schedule in 2017? I thought they were going to have a "transitional" year..
06-29-2016 02:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.