Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The ACC seems content to piss off the football schools by limiting support staff
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
The ACC seems content to piss off the football schools by limiting support staff
http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college...m-referral

If Clemson and Florida State want to invest the funds in large support staff why should Pitt or BC or Wake or GT act like they don't have the same opportunity? There is a reason that certain schools are successful and others aren't and part of that is administrative support. If the school is willing to fund additional support staff positions, good for them. But noooooooo, they want to go to the NCAA and with a heavy hand force rules down other peoples throats so those that don't want to compete ar the highest level can handicap their competitors. What rubbish!!!
Drive off Florida State if you want to... I'm sure the B1G, BigXII, & maybe the SEC would jump at the opportunity to add the Noles.
06-25-2016 08:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
RE: The ACC seems content to piss off the football schools by limiting support staff
Bowlsby is in flavor of a cap as well so don't see how the Big 12 would be anymore enticing to FSU.
06-25-2016 11:13 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: The ACC seems content to piss off the football schools by limiting support staff
(06-25-2016 08:59 AM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college...m-referral

If Clemson and Florida State want to invest the funds in large support staff why should Pitt or BC or Wake or GT act like they don't have the same opportunity? There is a reason that certain schools are successful and others aren't and part of that is administrative support. If the school is willing to fund additional support staff positions, good for them. But noooooooo, they want to go to the NCAA and with a heavy hand force rules down other peoples throats so those that don't want to compete ar the highest level can handicap their competitors. What rubbish!!!
Drive off Florida State if you want to... I'm sure the B1G, BigXII, & maybe the SEC would jump at the opportunity to add the Noles.

Hmm not too self serving of you to invite FSU to leave.
06-25-2016 11:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
A cap would be for everyone
06-25-2016 11:28 AM
ULdave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
While I totally understand both sides of this arguement, I think the problem occurs because schools are running out of ways to spend all the money they have. There is no money pit quite so hungry as unnecessary personnel.
06-25-2016 11:34 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Got to laugh at old sourpuss Johnson. Clemson didn't hire Conn and Richardson for recruiting, if we wanted then for recruiting wouldn't it be smarter to keep them in the place where they have day to day contact with the recruits instead of putting them in non-recruiting positions on staff? Plus the fact that they weren't hired until after signing day.

Besides, Mickey Conn was Dabo's teammate and roommate at Alabama and had built Grayson's program from a patch of bare dirt to winning a state championship.
06-25-2016 11:41 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(06-25-2016 08:59 AM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college...m-referral

Passing an NCAA rule is not driving off FSU. Passing an ACC rule that limits support staff when everyone else has unlimited staff would be driving off FSU.
06-25-2016 12:13 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(06-25-2016 12:13 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

Passing an NCAA rule is not driving off FSU. Passing an ACC rule that limits support staff when everyone else has unlimited staff would be driving off FSU.

It's just example #475837 of the differing priorities and commitment to football within the ACC schools and yet another reason why eventually the status quo is untenable.
06-25-2016 12:22 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(06-25-2016 12:13 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

This...

Why not put some limits in? But it would have to be an NCAA rule. I'd rather see excess football profits support other sports and sent back into the school budget to offset state tax payer support. To me college sports are a pleasurable diversion and understand they are not pro sports. Yes, the football programs do create real jobs but I do beleive limits should be put in to keep spending down.
06-25-2016 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

[Image: fishing-for-attention-we-are-thumb.jpg]

07-coffee3
06-25-2016 12:45 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(06-25-2016 11:28 AM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  A cap would be for everyone

BINGO. I never read anyone suggesting an ACC-only cap, they are merely voicing their support for an NCAA-wide cap (which would be a good thing, IMO).
06-25-2016 01:23 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(06-25-2016 01:23 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

BINGO. I never read anyone suggesting an ACC-only cap, they are merely voicing their support for an NCAA-wide cap (which would be a good thing, IMO).

Let me guess: You would want that cap set at a level that the ACC and VT could afford, but at least some other conferences could not afford. 07-coffee3
06-25-2016 01:47 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-25-2016 11:34 AM)ULdave Wrote:  While I totally understand both sides of this arguement, I think the problem occurs because schools are running out of ways to spend all the money they have. There is no money pit quite so hungry as unnecessary personnel.

There are substantially diminishing returns. You add another set of eyes to reviewing film and its beneficial. But its only beneficial at the margin. They have limits on actual coaching staff and graduate assistants. They have eliminated limits on these "other" staff and it is just a money pit that, as everyone does it, has no competitive benefit.
06-25-2016 03:06 PM
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
There is something to be said for developing and nurturing future coaches. What a great opportunity for an eager learner. How many of these staff work their way to a full time position? Seems like it would be helpful to a program to groom someone that could step right in if something unexpected happened to one of the assistants
06-25-2016 03:49 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(06-25-2016 01:47 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Let me guess: You would want that cap set at a level that the ACC and VT could afford, but at least some other conferences could not afford. 07-coffee3

+1
Hypocrisy at its finest lol
06-25-2016 06:37 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(06-25-2016 06:37 PM)otown Wrote:  
(06-25-2016 01:47 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

+1
Hypocrisy at its finest lol

WHAT? Call me crazy, but I prefer the NFL hard-cap approach over the MLB spend as much you want approach - it makes the overall product a whole lot more enjoyable for the fans.

As for hypocrisy, how do you feel about educational institutions spending an unlimited amount of money on sports? Don't see any problem with that?
06-25-2016 09:40 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
As a fan I fully support hard caps to # of coaches. Biggest reason I have for that is simple. Since the vast majority of these schools are nonprofits funded via student tuition, grants, endowments and STATE GOV'T, I don't want to see the schools waste money on frivolous sh!t. It's called being responsible with taxpayer money. Before any of you jokers whine about this school or that school having a self sufficient athletics dept...spare me. The fact is the vast majority of schools do not and never will be able to at the current levels of spending for college sports.

I'd like to see the caps extended further to other facets like student athlete centers, locker rooms and training centers.
06-25-2016 10:24 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(06-25-2016 12:45 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  

[Image: fishing-for-attention-we-are-thumb.jpg]

07-coffee3

Hahaha...fishing for attention huh? Well, pot meet kettle. Or look in the mirror. Can you imagine if he posted the ACC schedule on the AAC board? Whoever did that is the biggest troll on the Internet.

Cheers!
06-26-2016 04:29 PM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest

If Clemson and Florida State want to invest the funds in large support staff why should Pitt or BC or Wake or GT act like they don't have the same opportunity?

That article doesn't mention Wake's position on the subject.
06-26-2016 04:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.