Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC makes bold CARA (Countable Athletically Related Activity) recommendations
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
MAC makes bold CARA (Countable Athletically Related Activity) recommendations
I believe this is the first FBS conference to make formal recommendations. Not sure if other conferences will follow, but could in light of the lawsuits in courts and athletes possibly getting paid as employees.

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 19h19 hours ago

MAC releases bold CARA recommendations: Travel days not counted as “days off”, mandatory two weeks off after end of season …

…(more MAC) study tables, rehab, community service, team building, travel need weekly hour limit

… (more MAC) regulate hours spent on physical activity, maintain overall limits.

MAC recommends 24-28 hour time limit in-season, 10-12 out of season.
06-22-2016 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: MAC makes bold CARA (Countable Athletically Related Activity) recommendations
I can't wait to see what a lot of these guys do with the extra spare time.

Limiting community service and study tables? Why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
06-22-2016 10:03 AM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
RE: MAC makes bold CARA (Countable Athletically Related Activity) recommendations
Hey Jim, you need to leave the study table you been here too many hours this week. "But I have my biology final tomorrow!", doesn't matter need to leave and go somewhere else, try your dorm room.
06-22-2016 10:16 AM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I estimate that of the 20 total hours per week I was allowed to practice there was at least another 10-15 hours of just other "stuff" (even down to simple things like changing or brushing snow of your car or getting to study tables) that came as part of being a college athlete during season. Add travel time to that (bus rides from DeKalb to Athens? And then back? Kill me now.) and an athlete could easily spend well north of 40 hours per week doing "athletically related" activities.

Not an excuse and not saying other students don't have their own additional concerns. Just saying as an athlete the above was reality.

(I simply don't see how including travel times goes toward the weekly hours metric. It artificially inflates the numbers, sometimes considerably.)
06-22-2016 12:44 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Dang, I was hoping that they start policing their attendance at football games, and start booting schools out of the conference who have less than 10,000 fans attend for home games. I think all of the MVFC as a whole had more fans attend the home games than Eastern Michigan last year. Even my Arkansas Tech had more fans attend to home games than Eastern Michigan. Eastern Michigan are getting D2 level of fans attending home games.
06-22-2016 12:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(06-22-2016 12:57 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Dang, I was hoping that they start policing their attendance at football games, and start booting schools out of the conference who have less than 10,000 fans attend for home games. I think all of the MVFC as a whole had more fans attend the home games than Eastern Michigan last year. Even my Arkansas Tech had more fans attend to home games than Eastern Michigan. Eastern Michigan are getting D2 level of fans attending home games.

Thanks Capt. Obvious, because no one knew this already.
06-22-2016 05:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.