Behold, a 28-team Conference USA
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
One sports writer's opinion.

Quote:BY PATRICK MAGEE
pmagee@sunherald.com Twitter: Patrick_Magee

Bigger is not always better, but the next path for Conference USA may be to get as big as possible.

When I sat down to sketch out last week's column discussing the current struggles of C-USA and what its future might look like, I bounced around a few ideas about lineups for a newly expanded conference and what could happen if it fell part.

There were a few schools left out of the final version of my column and I received an email Thursday afternoon from an athletic director of one of the programs not included in my idea of a merger of Conference USA and the Sun Belt. It was a 24-team league that consisted of four different regions broken up geographically.

I responded to the athletic director's polite suggestion that I keep his school in mind, telling him that his program was included in my first lineup for an expanded Conference USA and that I actually liked it better than the 24-team conference that ended up in the column.

The first version I put together included 28 teams and I think it does a better job of cutting down on travel distances for the schools included:

SOUTHWEST: Texas-San Antonio, Rice, North Texas, Texas State, UTEP, Sam Houston State, New Mexico State.

MID-SOUTH: Southern Miss, UAB, Louisiana Tech, WKU, Middle Tennessee, La.-Lafayette, Arkansas State.

SOUTHEAST: South Alabama, Troy, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, Coastal Carolina.

NORTHEAST: Marshall, Old Dominion, Charlotte, Appalachian State, UMass, Eastern Kentucky, James Madison.

In this 28-team league, two schools that have battled geographic isolation in C-USA will have conference mates within a short driving distance. UTEP and New Mexico State are separated by about 40 miles. It's only a two-hour drive from Marshall to Eastern Kentucky. NMSU is without a conference home for its football program and EKU tried hard to get in the Sun Belt a year ago before being passed over for Coastal Carolina.

Each team would have an eight-game conference slate, including a six-game divisional schedule, one locked-in crossover contest (such as Southern Miss-South Alabama) and one conference contest that would rotate.

You could have East and West representatives in the title game with divisional champs decided on the basis of conference records and the College Football Playoff rankings serving as a tie-breaker. The inclusion of the CFP rankings as a tie-breaker would encourage teams to put together tough non-conference slates. (I'm looking at you, Marshall)

This isn't that that different from the 24-team conference I first suggested, but I believe this model is actually more workable. If you're going to go big, might as well go huge.

A 28-team conference could amount to what many would consider a second division within FBS, but it would face the same issues that the MAC, American Athletic Conference and the Mountain West face on the field.

The biggest problem for the 28-team conference would be that TV revenue shared among the member programs would be watered down badly. But again, if you're currently only getting $200,000 per school like C-USA or $100,000 like the Sun Belt, it doesn't matter that much. The schools included in this conference would benefit from a significant decrease in travel costs for all sports.

Sports like softball, baseball and volleyball could feature conference schedules that rely heavily on home-and-home series with the closest league mates. Other games could stay within the East and West divisions.

The one school that continues to be left out in the cold in this 28-team concept is Louisiana-Monroe, which has the smallest athletic budget in all of FBS at approximately $12.95 million. It's hard to see a long-term future in FBS for ULM even if it may fit squarely in the footprint of a 28-team league. The promotion of Sam Houston State, James Madison and Eastern Kentucky to FBS, three schools that already have larger athletic budgets than ULM, makes more sense for the conference. You also have to consider that Louisiana Tech and ULM already share the same market.

The best thing that could happen to ULM is that C-USA simply dissolves and it could be included in a more regional conference.

The 28 teams included in my hypothetical C-USA could also be divided into three separate nine-to-10 team conferences. This may be the best situation for all involved and each conference would have an opportunity to negotiate their own TV deals.

Conference USA will have a chance to negotiate a new TV contract in two years with plans of improving on its recent deal that nets each school $200,000, according to The Virginian-Pilot. If it doesn't receive a significant bump in revenue, it's likely time for members to dream up new options.

Whether it's a conference of 20-plus teams or three regional conferences, C-USA and Sun Belt officials should start thinking outside the box.

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/...90687.html
06-18-2016 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Behold, a 28-team Conference USA
I stopped reading when I saw some of the schools included were EKU, Sam Houston St etc.

NO WAY!
06-18-2016 06:06 PM
SpaceRaider Online
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
One of the most idiotic things I've read on the internet in the last day or so.
06-18-2016 06:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
David Krumudgen Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis
these things just won't stop.

there is no way cusa is going to add 14 teams

they are adding 0
06-18-2016 06:30 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Southern Miss, Marshall, Middle Tennessee and UAB should all meet at an Airport and form a new conference. Invite AState, Louisiana, LaTech, WKU to join them.
06-18-2016 06:38 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I Root For: Southern Miss
Magee just trying to get clicks.
06-18-2016 06:42 PM
Advertisement

David Krumudgen Offline
Bench Warmer

Let's put this into prospective:

This 28 team CUSA has as much a chance of happening
as the SEC merging with CUSA for a 28 Team conference.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2016 07:35 PM by David Krumudgen.)
06-18-2016 07:34 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Quote:BY PATRICK MAGEE
pmagee@sunherald.com Twitter: Patrick_Magee

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0zSepL7h7pmjsyeGB3Zg...z_SClVjavt]

SOUTHWEST: Texas-San Antonio, Rice, North Texas, Texas State, UTEP, Sam Houston State, New Mexico State.

MID-SOUTH: Southern Miss, UAB, Louisiana Tech, WKU, Middle Tennessee, La.-Lafayette, Arkansas State.

SOUTHEAST: South Alabama, Troy, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, Coastal Carolina.

NORTHEAST: Marshall, Old Dominion, Charlotte, Appalachian State, UMass, Eastern Kentucky, James Madison.

[Image: 9v68YaU.gif]

[Image: 5387f8294277fe629aa65a2ce16540c3ebd3d865...1f4dde.jpg]
06-18-2016 07:45 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Is "Patrick Magee" the same person as "DavidSt"???

Because there is a lot of similarity in thinking.
06-18-2016 08:09 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
I thought that would get a few laughs.
06-18-2016 08:18 PM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

I cannot stand Patrick Magee. He is an absolutely horrible journalist and I am ashamed that he's Southern Miss's beat writer for the Gulf Coast
06-18-2016 08:31 PM
Advertisement

David Krumudgen Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-18-2016 08:09 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Is "Patrick Magee" the same person as "DavidSt"???

Well we already know that David Krysakowski and David St
are the same person.

As for "Patrick Magee" who knows ?
06-18-2016 09:08 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(06-18-2016 06:38 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Southern Miss, Marshall, Middle Tennessee and UAB should all meet at an Airport and form a new conference. Invite AState, Louisiana, LaTech, WKU to join them.

I kinda like this. 8 schools though ...

... do you dare look at Florida, and add FIU and FAU?

Or ... do you go to 9, and throw U-La Monroe in there?

Or ... add ULM and an Appalachian State?
06-18-2016 09:39 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(06-18-2016 06:38 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Southern Miss, Marshall, Middle Tennessee and UAB should all meet at an Airport and form a new conference. Invite AState, Louisiana, LaTech, WKU to join them.

They'd need a waiver from the NCAA to allow a new FBS conference to be created from scratch. There'd be lots of opposition from many conferences, who would see their share of playoff money fall as a result, from at least 3 of the G5 conferences, and from conferences that know that this plan would result in more FCS to FBS moveups as the rump SBC and the rump CUSA added teams to replace departures.

They'd need a waiver from the NCAA to maintain an auto bid to the NCAA tournament. They likely won't get one. So five years with no auto bid. And last year, the champion of that conference wouldn't have come close to an at large.

They'd have to pay exit fees and would probably get sued by the rump CUSA and the rump Sun Belt.

---

And for WHAT? Would this conference be better for the teams? Marginally. There's no evidence that ESPN is waiting to pay this combination any more money than pay them as members of CUSA and the Sun Belt. Remember that the networks already get their pick of whatever games of those teams right now. There'd probably be little, if any, more money.

---

There isn't going to be a new conference created. Just not going to happen.

---

And its unlikely, at least in the short to medium term, that there will be any realignment between the conferences. CUSA cannot expand easily because they're too full. So any realignment will have to come from CUSA teams moving to the Sun Belt. For the time being, that isn't going to happen.

Hope everyone likes their conference lineup. Because, barring expansion from the Big XII, or the MAC/MWC somehow losing a team...its likely these lineups will be with us for a while.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2016 01:07 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
06-19-2016 01:03 PM
Jayesseagle Offline
Special Teams

I agree! The members mentioned above should get together and form a new league:

CUSA (8)

Southern Miss
Marshall
Midd Tenn
UAB
Western Kentucky
La Tech
Rice
UTEP

Then add: (6)

Arkansas St
La Lafayette
Troy
La Monroe
South Alabama
App State

This would be a lot more interesting and more competitive than the CUSA that we are already in now...and plus it would be more regional. Less travel cost and I'm betting more attendance for each school. (14 team league)

Or another scenario would be if the AAC keeps getting raided by the big 12, we could by chance talk with some of the remaining members to help form another conference all together with the 1st 6 mentioned:

From CUSA: (8)

Southern Miss
Marshall
Midd Tenn
UAB
Western Kentucky
La Tech
Rice
UTEP

From AAC: (6 of the any remaining)

Memphis (if remaining)
Houston (if remaining)
ECU
UCF (if remaining)
USF
Tulane
Tulsa
Cincy (if remaining)

I would prefer option #2 (another 14 team league), but that is probably a very long shot of happening but either option is by far greater than this conference we are all in now.
06-19-2016 03:56 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-19-2016 01:03 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

They'd need a waiver from the NCAA to allow a new FBS conference to be created from scratch. There'd be lots of opposition from many conferences, who would see their share of playoff money fall as a result, from at least 3 of the G5 conferences, and from conferences that know that this plan would result in more FCS to FBS moveups as the rump SBC and the rump CUSA added teams to replace departures.

They'd need a waiver from the NCAA to maintain an auto bid to the NCAA tournament. They likely won't get one. So five years with no auto bid. And last year, the champion of that conference wouldn't have come close to an at large.

They'd have to pay exit fees and would probably get sued by the rump CUSA and the rump Sun Belt.

---

And for WHAT? Would this conference be better for the teams? Marginally. There's no evidence that ESPN is waiting to pay this combination any more money than pay them as members of CUSA and the Sun Belt. Remember that the networks already get their pick of whatever games of those teams right now. There'd probably be little, if any, more money.

---

There isn't going to be a new conference created. Just not going to happen.

My response.

-NCAA will grant an autobid to 7 schools that have played themselves continuously for more than 2 years. The plan is that So Miss, UAB, MTSU, WKU, Marshall, WKU, LaTech and UNT would be in the new conference. I would add to that group Louisiana, Arkansas State from the SBC for travel, competitiveness.

-The leftover CUSA schools, UTEP, UTSA, Rice, ODU, Charlotte, FAU, FIU would not be able to attract SBC schools and their 2.5 million buyout to join them over there so my prediction is that ODU and Charlotte move to the SBC while the others join regional conferences and play as independents.

ASun: FAU, FIU
WAC: UTEP, UTSA, Rice
SBC: ODU, Charlotte

-With CUSA dissolving there will be 5 G5 conferences...AAC, MWC, MAC, SBC and the new conference created.

-The new conference would probably get a MAC deal as far as money and be more competitive for the CFP bowl. They would be a level up from the SBC or the independent schools that don't have a conference.

The problem for CUSA as its configured now is that it no longer has a recruiting edge on the SBC or an incubator for rising southern programs anymore. Its rather a peer of the SBC which has an edge with less mouths to feed.
06-19-2016 04:21 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-19-2016 03:56 PM)Jayesseagle Wrote:  

I agree! The members mentioned above should get together and form a new league:

CUSA (8)

Southern Miss
Marshall
Midd Tenn
UAB
Western Kentucky
La Tech
Rice
UTEP

Then add: (6)

Arkansas St
La Lafayette
Troy
La Monroe
South Alabama
App State

This would be a lot more interesting and more competitive than the CUSA that we are already in now...and plus it would be more regional. Less travel cost and I'm betting more attendance for each school. (14 team league)

Or another scenario would be if the AAC keeps getting raided by the big 12, we could by chance talk with some of the remaining members to help form another conference all together with the 1st 6 mentioned:

From CUSA: (8)

Southern Miss
Marshall
Midd Tenn
UAB
Western Kentucky
La Tech
Rice
UTEP

From AAC: (6 of the any remaining)

Memphis (if remaining)
Houston (if remaining)
ECU
UCF (if remaining)
USF
Tulane
Tulsa
Cincy (if remaining)

I would prefer option #2 (another 14 team league), but that is probably a very long shot of happening but either option is by far greater than this conference we are all in now.

If you want to keep Rice and UTEP on board with the new conference that would make more sense than keeping FAU/FIU on board who have basically no tradition in athletics.

You wouldn't have the Florida recruiting grounds of the AAC but its better than having Florida schools at the expense of watering down the conference.
06-19-2016 04:26 PM
Realignment Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC Trojans
Why doesn't C-USA and Sun Belt just split I to two 12 team conferences?
06-19-2016 04:53 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(06-18-2016 09:08 PM)David Krumudgen Wrote:  
(06-18-2016 08:09 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Is "Patrick Magee" the same person as "DavidSt"???

Well we already know that David Krysakowski and David St
are the same person.

As for "Patrick Magee" who knows ?

Who is this David Krysakowski? I never heard of him before.

Plus, I know for one thing UTEP will not want to be in the same conference as New Mexico State. They will block them, and they will try to get into MWC if New Mexico State is part of this fantasy merger.

If James Madison is part of this? Delaware will whine that they want to be with James Madison.
06-19-2016 05:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dxdtdemon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: OSU, Wright St.
I'm okay with this if Youngstown State was involved instead of Eastern Kentucky.
06-19-2016 08:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.