Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting
Hallcity Online
1st String

I Root For: Duke
Interesting
A tweet:
Mark Armstrong ‏@ArmstrongABC11 [in Raleigh] 9m9 minutes ago

ABC11 is getting highest ratings for NBA Finals of any Disney owned station outside of SF. One game left!

You might say "So what? I already knew basketball was popular in NC." Yes, but the Triangle area is already fairly large and it's growing extremely rapidly. The NBA is going to pay attention to the NBA finals drawing higher TV ratings in Raleigh than at any of the Disney stations in NBA cities. An NBA team in the Triangle would have major implications for the basketball programs at the local schools. The local schools will do everything possible to keep an NBA franchise out of the area. The Carolina Hurricanes NHL franchise will do everything possible. Because of the control that NCSU and the Hurricanes have over the PNC arena an NBA franchise can't happen now but there's talk of a new arena in downtown Raleigh, so stay turned.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2016 09:42 AM by Hallcity.)
06-17-2016 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Interesting
C'mon now there is a 0% chance Raleigh ever gets an NBA team. Raleigh should be pretty worried about the hurricanes staying put.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2016 09:55 AM by bluesox.)
06-17-2016 09:53 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I think an NBA team could be an outside possibility if the Hurricanes were to move to Quebec City - as is being rumored.

Personally, I don't believe that Carolina is going anywhere yet. I think that had proven itself a viable market if the team is competitive. However, Karmanos has always been crazy and if he is also broke, and some reports are suggesting, you never know?
06-17-2016 10:24 AM
Advertisement

Hallcity Online
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(06-17-2016 10:24 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I think an NBA team could be an outside possibility if the Hurricanes were to move to Quebec City - as is being rumored.

Personally, I don't believe that Carolina is going anywhere yet. I think that had proven itself a viable market if the team is competitive. However, Karmanos has always been crazy and if he is also broke, and some reports are suggesting, you never know?

I've always though that Raleigh was marginal for an NHL franchise yet they're been here for 19 years! An NBA franchise would be a different matter. Basketball is really popular here, to put it mildly. The Raleigh-Durham metro area has a population of 2.2 million and is growing rapidly. Almost all of the metro areas larger than Raleigh have an NBA franchise already. Memphis and New Orleans, which are smaller, have NBA franchises.
06-17-2016 11:06 AM
Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(06-17-2016 11:06 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(06-17-2016 10:24 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I think an NBA team could be an outside possibility if the Hurricanes were to move to Quebec City - as is being rumored.

I've always though that Raleigh was marginal for an NHL franchise yet they're been here for 19 years! An NBA franchise would be a different matter. Basketball is really popular here, to put it mildly. The Raleigh-Durham metro area has a population of 2.2 million and is growing rapidly. Almost all of the metro areas larger than Raleigh have an NBA franchise already. Memphis and New Orleans, which are smaller, have NBA franchises.

Memphis and NO are the only NBA franchises in the state. NC would have two. This would place NC in the company of NY, TX and Cal. Can't see it happening.
06-17-2016 11:24 AM
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(06-17-2016 09:12 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  A tweet:
ABC11 is getting highest ratings for NBA Finals of any Disney owned station outside of SF. One game left!

You might say "So what? I already knew basketball was popular in NC." Yes, but the Triangle area is already fairly large and it's growing extremely rapidly. The NBA is going to pay attention to the NBA finals drawing higher TV ratings in Raleigh than at any of the Disney stations in NBA cities. An NBA team in the Triangle would have major implications for the basketball programs at the local schools. The local schools will do everything possible to keep an NBA franchise out of the area. The Carolina Hurricanes NHL franchise will do everything possible. Because of the control that NCSU and the Hurricanes have over the PNC arena an NBA franchise can't happen now but there's talk of a new arena in downtown Raleigh, so stay turned.

A year after Miami-Fort Lauderdale averaged a 17.7 rating for the Finals (sixth best in the country), our ratings rank even higher for this Cavaliers-Warriors rematch. No market outside Northern California or Ohio has had higher ratings for these Finals than Dade/Broward
-- Miami Herald

I'LL SEE YOU AND RAISE YOU
06-17-2016 11:27 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
A well coordinated anti- NBA campaign in the Raleigh area can work wonders. The NBA doesn't like bad press about them before moving into a city to suck the resources out of it. We have experience keeping the vultures out. We stopped The Grizzlies before we had The Yum. If interested Google: J Bruce Miller and read of his frustration with trying to bring an NBA team to Louisville.
CJ
06-17-2016 11:51 AM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
More click bait from a talking head whose once limited popularity is fading.
06-17-2016 01:30 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(06-17-2016 09:12 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  A tweet:

Hall, I'm going to have to meet you somewhere off Erwin Road and cut you if you talking about this. 03-wink
06-17-2016 02:24 PM
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
Hall,

Seriously though, it's not happening. Debbie doesn't want it. Bubba doesn't want it. K doesn't want it. Now, it is possible in a few years that Karmonos and the Gale Force Nazis are gone, very possible as he is under suit by his sons for borrowing from the trust fund to support the Hurricanes, but Hell will freeze over before that happens and before it happens you will see the damndest war between former friends and business partners the like you have never seen in NC.
06-17-2016 02:27 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
One NBA team in North Carolina is one too many.
06-17-2016 03:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.