Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is any one else tired of the word; POTENTIAL?
Bookmark and Share
MU42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Is any one else tired of the word; POTENTIAL?
I get Charlotte, ODU, and UTSA talking about potential. They are very young and shouldn't even be at this level yet, but realignment opened a door before they proved anything and they got invited based on market and potential.

UAB is a totally separate issue. But potential has always been the word floating around because they were never really very good before they got screwed.

UTEP and No Texas have been playing football for almost 100 years with very little success the last several decades. But because they are in Texas where high schools average 20k fans they are expected to potentially be awesome sometime.

F_U, I have a feeling we still be waiting on their potential to turn into something special when my grandkids retire. I'm 30.

My point is without "real" fan support some of you are always going to suck. Sucking doesn't grow fan support. Some of you are in cities where someone on the other side of town doesn't know you exist. The young programs have a very small window where you are still supported because you are young, and you need to show the fans that you can win like Boise, Marshall, Appy St did early on or your going to slip into F_U territory. Where no one cares. UTEP is the anomaly here, they have fan great support, but just doesn't win.

If your fans and athletic dept don't really care, I mean really really care. Then the coaches will just cash paychecks until they get fired. Of course they want to win, but you continually put them in situations where winning isn't attainable. Someone has to break the cycle of suck within the Athletic Dept. Mike Hamrick stopped the suckage here. Hopefully you can find a good AD to do the same.
06-15-2016 04:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
RE: Is any one else tired of the word; POTENTIAL?
(06-15-2016 04:19 AM)MU42 Wrote:  I get Charlotte, ODU, and UTSA talking about potential. They are very young and shouldn't even be at this level yet, but realignment opened a door before they proved anything and they got invited based on market and potential.

UAB is a totally separate issue. But potential has always been the word floating around because they were never really very good before they got screwed.

UTEP and No Texas have been playing football for almost 100 years with very little success the last several decades. But because they are in Texas where high schools average 20k fans they are expected to potentially be awesome sometime.

F_U, I have a feeling we still be waiting on their potential to turn into something special when my grandkids retire. I'm 30.

My point is without "real" fan support some of you are always going to suck. Sucking doesn't grow fan support. Some of you are in cities where someone on the other side of town doesn't know you exist. The young programs have a very small window where you are still supported because you are young, and you need to show the fans that you can win like Boise, Marshall, Appy St did early on or your going to slip into F_U territory. Where no one cares. UTEP is the anomaly here, they have fan great support, but just doesn't win.

If your fans and athletic dept don't really care, I mean really really care. Then the coaches will just cash paychecks until they get fired. Of course they want to win, but you continually put them in situations where winning isn't attainable. Someone has to break the cycle of suck within the Athletic Dept. Mike Hamrick stopped the suckage here. Hopefully you can find a good AD to do the same.

How much is Marshall paying him. We are hiring a new AD.
06-15-2016 07:36 AM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I'm not sure, but he grew up in the local area, and went to Marshall.

He is also older and was looking to come back home from what I understand.

We are very lucky right now with him.
06-15-2016 07:55 AM
owlcountry40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
(06-15-2016 04:19 AM)MU42 Wrote:  I get Charlotte, ODU, and UTSA talking about potential. They are very young and shouldn't even be at this level yet, but realignment opened a door before they proved anything and they got invited based on market and potential.

You know what I'm really tired of is team certain teams success not bringing up the value of the conference.
Schools like USM and Marshall has been practically the same schools for decades through winning and losing they haven't taken he next step. Everyone for years has passed those schools and moved on. I'm sure for years Marshall and USM ragged on UCF'S potential and well now look at them while you still live in mom's basement.
Look how C-USA has fared with Huntington WV being the face of the conference. 03-puke
Florida Atlantic has struggled for a few year since Howard retired a couple years to late then the Pelini disaster, but anyone with common football sense can see W's will come with FAU overtime.
The thing with potential is it takes time, FAU and its leadership has made football a huge priority and the results will eventually show.
Florida Atlantic has only had undergrad since 1988 a football since 2001, while USM's and Marshall's programs are over 100 years old.
Our "potential'' has taken to the same place in 15 years opposed to your century.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 09:19 AM by owlcountry40.)
06-15-2016 08:46 AM
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(06-15-2016 08:46 AM)owlcountry40 Wrote:  You know what I'm really tired of is team certain teams success it doesn't bring up the value of the conference.
Schools like USM and Marshall has been practically the same schools for decades through winning and losing they haven't taken he next step. Everyone for years has passed those schools and moved on. I'm sure for years Marshall and USM ragged on UCF'S potential for years and well now look at them while you still live in mom's basement.
Look how C-USA has fared with Huntington WV being the face of the conference. 03-puke
Florida Atlantic has struggled for a few year since Howard retired a couple years to late then the Pelini disaster, but anyone with common football sense can see W's will come with FAU overtime.
The thing with potential is it takes time, FAU and its leadership has made football a huge priority and the results will eventually show.
Florida Atlantic has only had undergrad since 1988 a football since 2001, while USM's and Marshall's programs are over 100 years old.
Our "potential'' has taken to the same place in 15 years opposed to your century.

Some people refuse to look in the mirror and accept what they see. No one wants to accept any responsibility in this country they just want to blame others.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 09:11 AM by wh49er.)
06-15-2016 09:08 AM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
The "new" CUSA is only 2 or 3 years old and it's still way too early to pass judgement on any program or school as to whether they can reach their "potential". Heck, Marshall only had 1 winning season in their first 20 years playing at the top level (Major, IA, FBS). Also, Marshall had four straight losing seasons when it first started in CUSA. Give these new teams some time.
06-15-2016 09:17 AM
Advertisement

PSCNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
(06-15-2016 08:46 AM)owlcountry40 Wrote:  

You know what I'm really tired of is team certain teams success it doesn't bring up the value of the conference.
Schools like USM and Marshall has been practically the same schools for decades through winning and losing they haven't taken he next step. Everyone for years has passed those schools and moved on. I'm sure for years Marshall and USM ragged on UCF'S potential for years and well now look at them while you still live in mom's basement.

Good post.
06-15-2016 09:18 AM
banker Online
Hall of Famer

You aren't in the same place, you're in the same conference. Those aren't the same thing unless you also believe that Vanderbilt is the same as Georgia or Indiana is the same as Michigan State.

You guys have to find a way to get people to care about your program. You have to get people to buy tickets and actually attend the games. We are in a much poorer area than you, charge more for tickets, have half the student body, and still outdraw you 2:1 (actual butts in seat is more likely 4:1). If your student body and community don't want a football program (or basketball based on your attendance), have no interest in it, why have it? Lots of good schools don't field a football team. I'm sure Howard sold the program as it would help grow the university, but he was more interested in recapturing his SFla glory and leaving a personal legacy. With 3 national championship programs in the state, 3 NFL teams, and a couple of AAC schools I doubt that there is enough support for both you and FIU, if either of you, to be successful in building a base.
06-15-2016 09:22 AM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

You know what I'm really tired of is team certain teams success not bringing up the value of the conference.
Schools like USM and Marshall has been practically the same schools for decades through winning and losing they haven't taken he next step. Everyone for years has passed those schools and moved on. I'm sure for years Marshall and USM ragged on UCF'S potential and well now look at them while you still live in mom's basement.

Rest of your post isn't worth my time, but this is something new, so I felt I would set the record straight.

UCF is where they are today partly because of Marshall.

We forced the MAC to invite them into the conference. Then when we left the MAC for CUSA, we really pushed for UCF to come with us. At the time, no one wanted them, but we pushed and fought for them.

Wish they would have done the same thing for us and the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 09:26 AM by FlyHawk98.)
06-15-2016 09:25 AM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
^ If message board info is to be believed, they fought for Tulane.
06-15-2016 09:37 AM
owlcountry40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
(06-15-2016 09:18 AM)PSCNiner Wrote:  

You know what I'm really tired of is team certain teams success it doesn't bring up the value of the conference.

Good post.
I honestly don't worry about our fan base, like I stated our fan base is just young to be judged.
I started school in 2008 and from what I have seen fan support growth wise in the last 8 years is unreal.
It might not look like a lot, but the people that wear FAU gear around town, to how the students and shown up and supported in most games is 100 times better then it was in 2008 playing at Lockhart.
All this has been done through loosing season after loosing season as well.
Many of the FAU alum who buy season tickets have graduated in the last 10 years and with FAU pumping out about 5k alum each year we will catch up overtime.

I do not want a flash in the pan South Florida bad wagon fan base (UM) because once winning slows people will fade. In the end there is simply too much to do down here people are noting waste Saturdays or Sundays for that matter on losers.
06-15-2016 09:42 AM
Advertisement

banker Online
Hall of Famer

Oh, one other thing for the FAU and Charlotte fans. Your potential didn't bring you to CUSA, your markets did. The reason you are in a conference with Marshall and USM is because we happen to be in Huntington and Hattiesburg. You were brought in to the conference because your large markets were suppose to give the networks what they wanted in order to give the conference more money.
06-15-2016 09:47 AM
WEARE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall, TOSU
(06-15-2016 09:08 AM)wh49er Wrote:  
(06-15-2016 08:46 AM)owlcountry40 Wrote:  You know what I'm really tired of is team certain teams success it doesn't bring up the value of the conference.

Some people refuse to look in the mirror and accept what they see. No one wants to accept any responsibility in this country they just want to blame others.

I don't think we are talking about a mirror. We are talking about value. We don't need a mirror to read the numbers on the contract. It is great that you are proud of your program. It is wonderful that you have POTENTIAL (the topic of the thread), but it is unfortunate that some of us took a hit because of it.

If it took you 15 years to get where you are, that is wonderful and impressive. In another few years, you may have added value. I'm not advocating some major change to the conference mainly because it isn't feasible. I do think Marshall should explore any other options, like the MAC. I am most likely in the minority, but it is just my opinion. I can even understand your anger at some of these suggestions, but it shouldn't be hard to comprehend the other side of this coin.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 10:10 AM by WEARE.)
06-15-2016 09:53 AM
MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
(06-15-2016 09:25 AM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  Rest of your post isn't worth my time, but this is something new, so I felt I would set the record straight.

UCF is where they are today partly because of Marshall.

We forced the MAC to invite them into the conference. Then when we left the MAC for CUSA, we really pushed for UCF to come with us. At the time, no one wanted them, but we pushed and fought for them.

Wish they would have done the same thing for us and the AAC.

Do you have a source for this? You might be right, I just haven't heard it before. I just did some googling and the closest I've found was something saying our MAC invitation was contingent on Marshall staying in the MAC so they wouldn't have an odd number of members.
06-15-2016 10:19 AM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU

Who do we need to prove it to? Is there someone that needs to bless us? do let us know and we will retract our membership, we will have our BOV approve the proposal for getting blessed and will come back into CUSA once blessed. I get it this is off season and everybody has to go and make their dream conference bed and sleep on it but you know what it ain't gonna happen. I promise you if ODU doesn't get better at FB in a couple of years and stay consistent then we will not have lot of people in Athletic department that are receiving paychecks. As far as Charlotte is concerned cut them some slack they are only couple of years old. The TV revenue in the current contract is not a result of current on field performance but perception and it will change once we get better soon on the field. But puhleeese stop with the don't deserve to be in the conference BS.
06-15-2016 10:21 AM
Mr. Bojangles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CHARLOTTE
Honestly, I am tired of hearing about potential too. As a Charlotte fan, we've been hearing about our potential for decades. I do believe that we are sitting on a gold mine (pun intended), but we are handcuffed by a lame duck AD. Until she is gone, we will be stuck in neutral or maybe even reverse. Unfortunately, no one is being held accountable for our half assed effort to promote our football program.
06-15-2016 10:22 AM
Advertisement

WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(06-15-2016 10:21 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Who do we need to prove it to? Is there someone that needs to bless us? do let us know and we will retract our membership, we will have our BOV approve the proposal for getting blessed and will come back into CUSA once blessed. I get it this is off season and everybody has to go and make their dream conference bed and sleep on it but you know what it ain't gonna happen. I promise you if ODU doesn't get better at FB in a couple of years and stay consistent then we will not have lot of people in Athletic department that are receiving paychecks. As far as Charlotte is concerned cut them some slack they are only couple of years old. The TV revenue in the current contract is not a result of current on field performance but perception and it will change once we get better soon on the field. But puhleeese stop with the don't deserve to be in the conference BS.

Anyone who questions ODU and their performance since reinstituting football in 2009 is basically...ignorant. I'm immensely amazed and impressed with ODU's football. I was already stoked about being in the same conference again with ODU because of basketball.

For those questioning ODU, here's what they've done:

2009 - 1st year of football since 1940.

FCS/IAA
2009 - 9-2
2010 - 8-3
2011 - 10-3
2012 - 11-2
2013 - 8-4

FBS
2014 - 6-6
2015 - 5-7

In short, they started football just 7 years ago and have only had one losing season, barely. That's impressive folks.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 10:48 AM by WKUApollo.)
06-15-2016 10:31 AM
wh49er Offline
All American

(06-15-2016 09:47 AM)banker Wrote:  Oh, one other thing for the FAU and Charlotte fans. Your potential didn't bring you to CUSA, your markets did. The reason you are in a conference with Marshall and USM is because we happen to be in Huntington and Hattiesburg. You were brought in to the conference because your large markets were suppose to give the networks what they wanted in order to give the conference more money.

Let's get this straight for a minute, the only reason Marshall got an invite to this conference is because teams like Charlotte, St. Louis, and Marquette left as conference leadership wanted to focus more on football.

We haven't given any benefits to Marshall in the 2 years (1 for football) we've officially re-joined the league but our school has done more for this league since it's inception (as anyone that is currently in it) other than USM. If Marshall had any true value themselves they wouldn't still be in this conference, that is a fact.

It's amazing to me that people from a state that is dealing with a water crisis, a growing meth/prescription pill/heroin epidemic, and growing budget cuts can't find anything more productive to do than complain about schools their administration voted on to join.
06-15-2016 10:38 AM
wh49er Offline
All American

(06-15-2016 09:53 AM)WEARE Wrote:  I don't think we are talking about a mirror. We are talking about value.

My point was if Marshall had any real value (to the networks, other schools, conferences), you wouldn't be here to complain about how Charlotte, NT, FAU, etc. has "brought you down".
06-15-2016 10:41 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Is anyone else tired of the word; Marshall?

Here is Marshall's record the first eight years it was in C-USA.

2005 Marshall 4-7
2006 Marshall 5-7
2007 Marshall 3-9
2008 Marshall 4-8
2009 Marshall 7-6
2010 Marshall 5-7
2011 Marshall 7-6
2012 Marshall 5-7

Here is ODU's record its first two years in C-USA.

2014 ODU 6-6
2015 ODU 5-7

Ask us this question again in six years -- if you think you can stand the answer.
06-15-2016 10:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.