Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Enquirer Coverage of Ono
Bookmark and Share
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Enquirer Coverage of Ono
Seriously? Our president leaves, and the leading story from the Enquirer about UC is this:

UC Board Meets, Doesn't Tell Anyone

Buried in the story about two separate meetings are these two paragraphs:

"Notice of Monday's meeting was posted to the Board of Trustees website around 6:30 a.m., an hour before the session started....

UC spokesman Vehr said the university posted notice of the June 6 meeting on the website on Saturday, June 4."

For crying out loud, it's headline news that the Enquirer didn't bother to check UC's website for one meeting, and wasn't told about another emergency meeting until it was scheduled?

Does Miami, NKU, or any level of government other than the Cincinnati City Council get this level of scrutiny from the Enquirer? This paper just hates our city, plain and simple.

06-14-2016 04:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Enquirer Coverage of Ono
They are mad they did not get the scoop on this.

I guess we should be happy they care about UC. It means readers are interested. UC stirs the drink in this town. Nobody would care if this event took place NKU of Miami.

06-14-2016 04:28 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(06-14-2016 04:20 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Seriously? Our president leaves, and the leading story from the Enquirer about UC is this:

"Notice of Monday's meeting was posted to the Board of Trustees website around 6:30 a.m., an hour before the session started....

UC spokesman Vehr said the university posted notice of the June 6 meeting on the website on Saturday, June 4."

For crying out loud, it's headline news that the Enquirer didn't bother to check UC's website for one meeting, and wasn't told about another emergency meeting until it was scheduled?

Does Miami, NKU, or any level of government other than the Cincinnati City Council get this level of scrutiny from the Enquirer? This paper just hates our city, plain and simple.
Hey our local paper likes to throw negative stuff at our university as well lol. They are still trying to make a scandal out of Pastner's contract .

06-14-2016 04:59 PM
Advertisement

UCBEast Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC. Forever
(06-14-2016 04:28 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  They are mad they did not get the scoop on this.

I guess we should be happy they care about UC. It means readers are interested. UC stirs the drink in this town. Nobody would care if this event took place NKU of Miami.

^^^This. They're mad a sports blog scooped them. Of course readers are interested. It is the Cincinnati Enquirer after all. It's BS that they think it *magnanimous* to cover those other (insert Enquirer-perceived more important) universities 100 miles or so away.

Lesson: if you want info ya gotta make nice.

06-14-2016 07:53 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
UC definately matters in this town. They are the largest employer. You either support UC or have tremendous butt hurt over the institution, i.e. Eggs/Cry-ami/ Columbus St supporters. Enquirer is just pissed they were not on speed dial. So, they are going to show their disdain by once again slamming the University in the fish wrap. Boorish behavior on their part.

News flash for Jason Williams - try building a relationship and maybe you will get the scoop, instead of a message board. Maybe Jason should be more like Lance and stick around this site so he will have a story.

06-14-2016 09:30 PM
Advertisement

Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
2 Things:

1. I don't have a problem with the Enquirer on this. It's the law and UC isn't above the law, nor should they act like it.

2. I'd be willing to bet that plenty of members of the local press monitor this site. Not long ago, I am fairly certain that I scooped all of them by posting news of the 5/3rd construction agreement. Later that day it was everywhere and none of the original stories had any quotes from anyone at UC, much less a press conference. Instead, EVERYTHING that I saw in each story was either old news or came directly from the link I posted which was to a story in an obscure (at least to the general public) international construction trade site iirc.

06-14-2016 09:52 PM
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(06-14-2016 04:20 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Seriously? Our president leaves, and the leading story from the Enquirer about UC is this:

Apparently you missed all the other stories in the Enquirer about President Ono leaving. All spoke of the good things he has accomplished while at UC.

06-15-2016 06:49 AM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(06-14-2016 09:52 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  2 Things:

1. I don't have a problem with the Enquirer on this. It's the law and UC isn't above the law, nor should they act like it.

2. I'd be willing to bet that plenty of members of the local press monitor this site. Not long ago, I am fairly certain that I scooped all of them by posting news of the 5/3rd construction agreement. Later that day it was everywhere and none of the original stories had any quotes from anyone at UC, much less a press conference. Instead, EVERYTHING that I saw in each story was either old news or came directly from the link I posted which was to a story in an obscure (at least to the general public) international construction trade site iirc.

Your second assertion is correct. Over the years there have been more than a few pieces either online or in press from the Enquirer that seemed to be based solely on message board information.

06-15-2016 06:53 AM
crex043 Offline
All American

Jason Williams has done a good job with the Big12 coverage, but it seems like The Enquirer isn't truly content until they write a story in which they are the main subject and they quote their own employees and treat it like it's breaking news.

Surely when dealing with sensitive matters UC has some mechanism to hold private meetings given they disclose the information at a later date.

06-15-2016 01:22 PM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(06-15-2016 06:49 AM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  

Apparently you missed all the other stories in the Enquirer about President Ono leaving. All spoke of the good things he has accomplished while at UC.

I saw them and they were very complimentary. But the LEAD story was the one I posted. It was the only one on the main page of their website about UC for most of the day.

It's just really strange that the lead story is one that's more about the Enquirer than UC.

06-16-2016 11:19 AM
BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
Enquirer publishes a newspaper. nobody knows

06-16-2016 12:33 PM
#41 Offline
Special Teams

The Enquirer (like all media) likes writing stories that portray themselves as relentless hounds of truth and justice and constantly fighting against people looking to prevent them from informing you, the reader.

06-16-2016 02:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.