Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Changing the Culture in Men's Basketball
Bookmark and Share
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Changing the Culture in Men's Basketball
Real good article in the DNR today on Lou Rowe and changes to the way the team practices with some good quotes from players.
06-10-2016 02:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Changing the Culture in Men's Basketball
Link?
06-10-2016 04:02 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

(06-10-2016 04:02 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  Link?

http://www.dnronline.com/article/rowe_s_tough_love
06-13-2016 05:18 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

Damn. Forgot about the subscription thing for DNR.
06-13-2016 05:38 PM
MRD_DUKE Offline
Water Engineer

anyone can give a summary?
06-14-2016 07:34 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

The practices sound a lot more intense from a conditioning standpoint. One player said that the practices in the past off seasons were focused on skill development not so much of conditioning. Coach Rowe wants the team to play faster on both sides of the ball and in order to do that they need to practice hard. He said something to the effect that everyone wants to play like Golden State but you need to practice and train at a high level in order to play that way. Some good stuff about the respect that the players have for Coach Rowe, his intensity, and even how he cares about them as men off the floor. 8 of 9 guys practiced (not sure who the 9th was) and the other 4 scholarship players join this week so I think the practices will only get more intense with some of the athletes that have been brought in.

Coach Brady would often talk about playing more full court, pressing etc. and then have some outs when guys would get hurt or not develop quick enough where they didn't have the depth to play that way. I think part of it was that they didn't practice that way either. He's a shot doctor- a more cerebral coach who philosophically believes in skills over athleticism. Problem is in the CAA Tournament athleticism and intensity wins out and it showed with the JMU teams that he coached. It's a culture that needs to be ingrained in the kids every day in practice and in the off season.

I think it's the kick in the butt that some of these Seniors need before their last season and we will see this reflected on their performance on the floor. A guy like Shaq Brown for example- he obviously has some ability from a scoring and shooting standpoint. He has good size as well. His intensity and focus needs to be at another level. His conditioning and athleticism needed work. Under the new staff and system he will either sink or swim. YoYo is another guy with ability- he could have a big Senior season if he's healthy and well conditioned.
06-14-2016 08:44 AM
Advertisement

JMad03 Online
Heisman

While I have admitted I was very underwhelmed by Rowe, I do like what I'm hearing. The conditioning definitely needs to be a huge focus. Is the lack of condition in the past the cause of our program to be so injury stricken? Perhaps. More importantly, he has a vision for how this team is going to play- fast and intense. I like it!
While it remains to be seen how well he actually coaches that leads to real game success we will find out. I'm starting to really get on board with what he's doing so far. I truly hope he is the guy this program needs to get to the next level.
06-14-2016 09:34 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
(06-14-2016 09:34 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  While I have admitted I was very underwhelmed by Rowe, I do like what I'm hearing. The conditioning definitely needs to be a huge focus. Is the lack of condition in the past the cause of our program to be so injury stricken? Perhaps. More importantly, he has a vision for how this team is going to play- fast and intense. I like it!
While it remains to be seen how well he actually coaches that leads to real game success we will find out. I'm starting to really get on board with what he's doing so far. I truly hope he is the guy this program needs to get to the next level.

Much like Coach Ike with baseball.......I did not care for the hiring process but in the end had no issue with the hire and like everything I have heard since the hiring.

You are correct Brady talked about changing style of play but never really did. If you want to play a certain way, that is how you have to practice.
06-14-2016 11:42 AM
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

Brady should have never let Rowe leave in first place.

One thing is for sure, Rowe is intense as hell, this is from experience of playing against him multiple times. Nice guy and all but he hates losing!
06-14-2016 02:47 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-14-2016 02:47 PM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  Brady should have never let Rowe leave in first place.

One thing is for sure, Rowe is intense as hell, this is from experience of playing against him multiple times. Nice guy and all but he hates losing!

I like Lou Rowe and hope he succeeds, even though he wasn't who I was hoping for.

That said, if he hated losing so much, he shoulda scored more than 3 points against Florida in the NCAAs!05-nono
06-14-2016 06:14 PM
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

(06-14-2016 06:14 PM)olddawg Wrote:  
(06-14-2016 02:47 PM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  Brady should have never let Rowe leave in first place.

I like Lou Rowe and hope he succeeds, even though he wasn't who I was hoping for.

That said, if he hated losing so much, he shoulda scored more than 3 points against Florida in the NCAAs!05-nono

This is pure comedy!
06-15-2016 07:50 AM
Advertisement

NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

(06-15-2016 07:50 AM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  

This is pure comedy!

It's definitely nitpicking and really irrelevant.
06-15-2016 08:21 AM
Bogey Offline
2nd String

That is pretty funny. Poor Lou had a pretty lousy game against Florida and you know against his former team he would have loved to have played better. I was there and JMU came soooo close. On the other hand Clayton was a beast.
06-15-2016 09:23 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-15-2016 08:21 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  

This is pure comedy!

It's not nitpicking. It's ironic and the guy that wrote what I commented on found it funny (which was the purpose). Enough said.

But yes, it does veer off topic so I apologize to the more stoic among us.
06-15-2016 09:54 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

06-15-2016 09:59 AM
jmuwyhamhgawd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes

This is pure comedy!

haha it was a joke, try to relax a little
06-15-2016 11:28 AM
Advertisement

#YEEHAWDUKES Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(06-15-2016 11:28 AM)jmuwyhamhgawd Wrote:  

This is pure comedy!

haha it was a joke, try to relax a little

maybe NJDuke is Lou Rowe??
06-15-2016 11:35 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Sorry didn't realize it was a joke. I'm usually a good humored guy sorry that I missed that one. For the record Culuko came up short that game too- very timid from what I remember. Go Dukes!
06-15-2016 11:42 AM
JMad03 Online
Heisman

If all it took to make a shot was to hate losing, we should have been undefeated in the Keener era!

(Clarification: this is supposed to be a joke.)
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 11:48 AM by JMad03.)
06-15-2016 11:48 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-15-2016 09:54 AM)olddawg Wrote:  

This is pure comedy!

It's not nitpicking. It's ironic and the guy that wrote what I commented on found it funny (which was the purpose). Enough said.

But yes, it does veer off topic so I apologize to the more stoic among us.

olddawg, some get way, way to serious. Not to worry. It's like a bunch of gossiping old women at their weekly bridge club, soon as they walk out, they start to call each other asking, "Well what do you think about the comment "Eunice" made on the coffee "Beulah" fixed for us today."
06-15-2016 05:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.