CBS' over/under on AAC win totals
Bookmark and Share
TigersOhMy Offline
Not 1st String

I Root For: Memphis
CBS' over/under on AAC win totals
http://www.cbssports.com/college-footbal...r-houston/

05-mafia

Quote:Memphis, 6.5 (Over -110, Under -110): Mike Norvell, like Justin Fuente, was a successful offensive coordinator ready to make the jump to a prominent head coaching job. Unlike Fuente, Norvell inherits a program that has gotten to used to winning over the last couple of years. Ole Miss and Temple back-to-back is tough. The home stretch will determine whether Memphis finishes with 7+, with SMU, USF, Cincinnati and Houston in November. Unfortunately, the most recent data point we have for Memphis closing the season is the Tigers losing four of their last five in 2015. Pick: Under
06-10-2016 09:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
RE: CBS' over/under on AAC win totals
It seems to me that CBS rarely paints a rosy picture for Tiger athletics. I could be wrong but I think we go over. The cupboard is far from bare. There were also a lot of factors playing into that losing streak to end '15 that don't really translate over to this year.
06-10-2016 09:36 AM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
It's really hard to know at this point. Does anyone really know how good our offense will be without Paxton? I guess we could have a big drop off, but maybe we don't. We have many key contributors back on that side of the ball.

Defense is a wild card, but I don't know how we could be any worse than last year. In theory we should be better. It seems like we brought in a good recruiting class that might be able to help sooner than later.
06-10-2016 09:53 AM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I know we have a new staff and a new QB this year, and that causes some unknowns. But I would be way disappointed if they lose four of their last five games. I think we can get seven wins.
06-10-2016 10:04 AM
SouthernBlue Offline
1st String

(06-10-2016 09:53 AM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  It's really hard to know at this point. Does anyone really know how good our offense will be without Paxton? I guess we could have a big drop off, but maybe we don't. We have many key contributors back on that side of the ball.

Defense is a wild card, but I don't know how we could be any worse than last year. In theory we should be better. It seems like we brought in a good recruiting class that might be able to help sooner than later.

Balancing out the loss of Paxton will be an improved offensive line and a plethora of really good running backs and receivers. The new QB's will be more than adaquate. Our offense should not take much of a step back.

Our defense will be even better and create more turnovers.

I will take the over. We should win a minimum of 7 games and most probably at least 8.
06-10-2016 10:10 AM
muffinman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis State
(06-10-2016 10:10 AM)SouthernBlue Wrote:  
(06-10-2016 09:53 AM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  It's really hard to know at this point. Does anyone really know how good our offense will be without Paxton? I guess we could have a big drop off, but maybe we don't. We have many key contributors back on that side of the ball.

Balancing out the loss of Paxton will be an improved offensive line and a plethora of really good running backs and receivers. The new QB's will be more than adaquate. Our offense should not take much of a step back.

I will take the over. We should win a minimum of 7 games and most probably at least 8.

With all the changes from last season, I would be happy with a 7-5 finish.
06-10-2016 10:19 AM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

We lost a coach...If we had the same coaching staff I would agree.

But this thing could go either way...We lost our D-Coordinator the year before and our defense went from a strength to an anchor.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2016 11:35 AM by macgar32.)
06-10-2016 11:34 AM
tigerscane Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tha tigers
WE WILL Do even Better this year and WE WILL WIN the AAC and go to a NY6 Bowl.....Our team is even Better overall than Last year....Riley Is Very very good.....And Brady is staying all on his heels too....No Limits....The World Is Ours Memphis.....
06-10-2016 11:41 AM
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
It's a fair number seeing as how we lost our coach and star QB. It's not a given that Norvell just picks up where Fuente left off but I believe we get to 7 wins.
06-10-2016 03:18 PM
Quote this message in a reply
eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches

If the young QB's can keep the mistakes down the offense should statistically be even with last year. The defense should continue to improve and will be very tough. As I have gathered from the practice videos the players really seem to respond well to Norvell and staff.
06-10-2016 03:44 PM
memphis mania Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
A lot of people don't realize that we would have easily have been 6 - 6 last year and probably 5 - 7 without Paxton. Without Paxton we lose Ole Miss, Cincy, Bowling Green, and a very good shot at losing @ S. Florida. Six wins should be a good goal this year and a good accomplishment. You just don't pick back from where you ended after losing what was maybe the best QB in the college game.
06-10-2016 04:28 PM
Advertisement

Unbreakable04 Offline
Special Teams

(06-10-2016 04:28 PM)memphis mania Wrote:  A lot of people don't realize that we would have easily have been 6 - 6 last year and probably 5 - 7 without Paxton. Without Paxton we lose Ole Miss, Cincy, Bowling Green, and a very good shot at losing @ S. Florida. Six wins should be a good goal this year and a good accomplishment. You just don't pick back from where you ended after losing what was maybe the best QB in the college game.

8 wins is realistic. We won't lose to Bowling Green. They lost all 11 starters on offense which consisted of the most prolific QB/WR duo in their history. We'll be 3-0 going into Ole Miss and get hit with a tough 2 game stretch in 6 days. We'll see what we're made of at that time.
06-10-2016 04:40 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

(06-10-2016 04:28 PM)memphis mania Wrote:  A lot of people don't realize that we would have easily have been 6 - 6 last year and probably 5 - 7 without Paxton. Without Paxton we lose Ole Miss, Cincy, Bowling Green, and a very good shot at losing @ S. Florida. Six wins should be a good goal this year and a good accomplishment. You just don't pick back from where you ended after losing what was maybe the best QB in the college game.

Fair point. Paxton was a stud, but we really don't know how good Riley is either. It's not like he's a 2 star true freshman. RF was a very good JUCO QB that was once recruited by the likes of UT, ND and Alabama.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2016 05:03 PM by cscottl1981.)
06-10-2016 05:02 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

Over/under 6.5 is absolutely a fair proposition.

I think we go (barring the very unexpected) 6-6 at worst, with 7-5 or 8-4 on the table. Any other record is pretty unlikely to me.
06-10-2016 05:22 PM
muffinman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis State
I just hope we don't win the first 8 then go out and loose the last 4. That was just the sickest feeling last year.
06-10-2016 10:46 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
I'll take the ovah 2.
06-10-2016 11:31 PM
Advertisement

MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(06-10-2016 10:46 PM)muffinman Wrote:  I just hope we don't win the first 8 then go out and loose the last 4. That was just the sickest feeling last year.

no the later years of West and all of Porters teams were sickening I'll take 8 wins a year in whatever order they want to come in
06-11-2016 03:26 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I see 8 wins. Nat'l media has consistently underestimated Memphis FB performance over the last several years & I think they have again at 6.5. If Norvell can get 8 or more wins, he's done a great job for his first year & it will give him & the program a lot of momentum going forward.
06-11-2016 07:59 AM
gotigersgo111111 Offline
Special Teams

All I'm going to say is... Having the over/under at 6.5 beats the 2010-14 over/under. How far we've come...
06-12-2016 03:53 PM
tigernole79 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kool-Aid
How far we've come.... First, that I think even thinking we only win six games is an insult to the talent on this team. Second, that I don't see the dropoff that other people do. We don't rebuile, we reload. It's the mantra of any winning program and I am already at that place. While losing 9 players to the NFL will hurt, we have recruited better rated talent at every position.

Now, with positive injuection done, I do honestly think we will win at least seven games. We had the Houston game won and had we won it, I think the Temple game is a W as well. Losing the way we did, not to mention the situation with the coaching staff added to that loss. While some see that we could've only won 5 games last year, I see that we should've easily won 11 if not 13. Since, had we beat Houston, we would've hosted the AAC Championship game.
Our talent is better than people give it credit for, especially on the defensive side of the ball. We dominated a decent SMU team and our defense did rise to the occasion against several opponents, especially in the 4th quater last season. We will see, but I think it will be a much improved defense and a different but surprisingly alost as good offense this year. Not to forget the best special teams in the nation!!!
06-14-2016 01:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.