Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who are the top choices for the AAC if the American expands?
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
I know the American won't expand in the foreseeable future, but it's the offseason, so I'm going to ask anyway:

If you *had* to pick *someone* who are the front runners for spots in the American Athletic Conference?
06-09-2016 06:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

RE: Who are the top choices for the AAC if the American expands?
I'd go with:

*Rice as #1. They have fielded some very respectable football teams as of late and they field elite baseball teams. They also have great in-conference rivalries and are in a recruiting hot bed. They lack quality basketball, but, FWIW, they do have elite academics.

*NIU as #2. They aren't terribly outside of the AAC footprint and they would add another very competitive football program. They don't have great Non-football sports and fan support is a little weak, but I think that both of those would be improved if they were squaring off against a regional team like Cincinnati and high profile G5 football teams like ECU, Houston, UCF, and USF, and high profile basketball teams like Temple, UConn, and Memphis.

*Army as #3. I doubt that the Knights would accept the offer because they'd be a little outclassed, but they would further align the conference with the nation's military and being the other half of the Army-Navy game into the media picture. They would also add a northeastern team with a lot of history for Temple and UConn, but they wouldn't add any strain on NE recruiting.

*UMass as #4. They would be an instant rival for UConn in both basketball and football. I think that UConn fields stronger teams, but the geography would be excellent. UMass also offers the rest of the conference another well known basketball program and strong academics.

Who did I leave out?
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 07:53 PM by nzmorange.)
06-09-2016 07:06 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
USM, NIU, Rice, La Tech
06-09-2016 07:11 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
I'd look at Old Dominion. They seem to be decent all around and would make for a good partner with ECU
06-09-2016 07:14 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Arkansas Tech is on the clock
06-09-2016 07:18 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(06-09-2016 07:06 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  I'd go with:

*Rice as #1. They have fielded some very respectable football teams as of late and they field elite baseball teams. They also have great in-conference rivalries and are in a recruiting hot bed. They lack quality basketball, but, FWIW, they do have elite academics.

*NIU as #2. They aren't terribly outside of the AAC footprint and they would add another very competitive football program. They don't have great Non-football sports and fan support is a little weak, but I think that both of those would be improved if they were squaring off against a regional team like Cincinatti and high profile G5 football teams like ECU, Houston, UCF, and USF, and high profile basketball teams like Temple, UConn, and Memphis.

*Army as #3. I doubt that the Knoghts would accept the offer because they'd be a little outclassed, but they would further align the conference with the nation's military and being the other half of the Army-Navy game into the media picture. They would also add a northeastern team with a lot of history for Temple and UConn, but they wouldn't add any strain on NE recruiting.

*UMass as #4. They would be an instant rival for UConn in both basketball and football. I think that UConn fields stronger teams, but the geography would be excellent. UMass also offers the rest of the conference another well known basketball program and strong academics.

Who did I leave out?

If they were to lose Houston, Rice would be a near automatic selection.

If the AAC could get Army, they would take them now. Even without losing members.

UMass doesn't make much sense if they lose UConn. They'd be on an Island and don't bring much value. With UConn, at least you'd have a travel partner.

I don't know any thing about NIU academics, athletics budget, stadium size, fan support or ratings. So I have no idea but a few more NY6 bowls would help.

For the AAC to really add value, they'd have to bring in a pod from the west. San Diego State, Boise State, UNLV and one other. Then they'd have to have 4 pods of 4 and rotate them every year or 2 into 8 team divisions as has been suggested on this board in the past for other conferences.
06-09-2016 07:18 PM
Advertisement

CyclonePower Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Iowa State
I think they should wait. If the big 12 implodes they may want to try and snatch up some of the leftovers like Iowa State and Kansas State. Again that depends on if those schools don't just try and and invite the top G5 schools and keep the big 12 name.
06-09-2016 07:25 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
I would go with VCU and Wichita State. But I know many don't feel as I do that their football really can't move up or down in rank, so why bother, but their basketball can, so do it.

Oh since that is only 13 for basketball, I'd also invite Dayton.
06-09-2016 07:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I Root For: Wichita
I know who'd get my vote
06-09-2016 07:30 PM
muffinman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis State
(06-09-2016 07:25 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  I think they should wait. If the big 12 implodes they may want to try and snatch up some of the leftovers like Iowa State and Kansas State. Again that depends on if those schools don't just try and and invite the top G5 schools and keep the big 12 name.

I think that would depend on how many of the B12 schools who would find landing spots in the new P4. If theres only 1 or 2 schools left, than it would probably be too much to rebuild the B12. I would love it if ISU and KSU find thier way to the AAC.

According to when/if the B12 collapses, Baylor may find themselves without a home either.
06-09-2016 07:33 PM
Pitt Co Pirates Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU / AAC
(06-09-2016 07:18 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

*NIU as #2. They aren't terribly outside of the AAC footprint and they would add another very competitive football program. They don't have great Non-football sports and fan support is a little weak, but I think that both of those would be improved if they were squaring off against a regional team like Cincinatti and high profile G5 football teams like ECU, Houston, UCF, and USF, and high profile basketball teams like Temple, UConn, and Memphis.

*Army as #3. I doubt that the Knoghts would accept the offer because they'd be a little outclassed, but they would further align the conference with the nation's military and being the other half of the Army-Navy game into the media picture. They would also add a northeastern team with a lot of history for Temple and UConn, but they wouldn't add any strain on NE recruiting.

Who did I leave out?

If they were to lose Houston, Rice would be a near automatic selection.

If the AAC could get Army, they would take them now. Even without losing members.

UMass doesn't make much sense if they lose UConn. They'd be on an Island and don't bring much value. With UConn, at least you'd have a travel partner.

I don't know any thing about NIU academics, athletics budget, stadium size, fan support or ratings. So I have no idea but a few more NY6 bowls would help.

For the AAC to really add value, they'd have to bring in a pod from the west. San Diego State, Boise State, UNLV and one other. Then they'd have to have 4 pods of 4 and rotate them every year or 2 into 8 team divisions as has been suggested on this board in the past for other conferences.

They stay at ten and build until TV negotiations. That will dictate additions. If BYU is out of Big 12 they'll probably go after them, CSU or SDSU. Air Force, Army, and ODU if they want to go larger. The conference is in decent shape and been an excellent property for ESPN. I'm sure they will want to invest before other suitors come calling.
06-09-2016 07:34 PM
Advertisement

CyclonePower Offline
2nd String

(06-09-2016 07:33 PM)muffinman Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 07:25 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  I think they should wait. If the big 12 implodes they may want to try and snatch up some of the leftovers like Iowa State and Kansas State. Again that depends on if those schools don't just try and and invite the top G5 schools and keep the big 12 name.

I think that would depend on how many of the B12 schools who would find landing spots in the new P4. If theres only 1 or 2 schools left, than it would probably be too much to rebuild the B12. I would love it if ISU and KSU find thier way to the AAC.

According to when/if the B12 collapses, Baylor may find themselves without a home either.

I don't want to derail this thread into a big 12 one but the best case scenario for the AAC would be:

KU to the big ten

OU, OSU, Texas, And tech to pac.

TCU, Kstate, and Iowa State to AAC

WVU to ACC?

Baylor to MWC for being unethical.

Unlikely but you never know.
06-09-2016 07:38 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

TCU, KSU, ISU, Rice*, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane would be a great conference

UConn, Temple, ECU, USF, UCF, Memphis, Cincinnati, and Navy/Richmond* would also be very solid.

The two combined would also be pretty interesting.
06-09-2016 07:47 PM
General Mike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
If it's expansion you want, Air Force, Boise, San Diego State and maybe UNLV or Fresno State.

If they had to replace teams who left, ODU and UMass.
06-09-2016 07:48 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Bottom line is there aren't very many, if any at all, that would be value added to the AAC depending on how certain scenarios fall.

The pool of candidates would come from the best of CUSA, MWC, and MAC. Of which I doubt any MAC schools would move.

Realistically SBC, CUSA, and MWC might have more interchanges than the AAC, CUSA, and MWC.
06-09-2016 07:53 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(06-09-2016 07:38 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  

I don't want to derail this thread into a big 12 one but the best case scenario for the AAC would be:

KU to the big ten

WVU to ACC?

if Kan, Ok, OkST, Tex, TT left the reaming 5 schools would not dissolve the Big12. they would remain in the Big12 and collect the exit fees and GOR fees..

The Big12 would need to add new teams but would probaly probably only invite Cincy, Houston and BYU and stop at 8 teams total.
06-09-2016 08:07 PM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
If they could choose from anyone below p5 the first choice is BYU but they'd stay independent before moving back to G5 I think. Beyond that try to grab from the MWC and form a coast to coast conference (which you'd have to do for BYU as well), CSU, Air Force, BSU, SDSU, UNLV. That's been tried but who knows if they could get a better tv deal this time around it might stick but nobody's going anywhere until the b12 moves or makes it clear they're not. If the AAC loses some of its better teams it'd be even harder to go coast to coast. As far as the more likely candidates WSU would be a good add, I don't think VCU would jump knowing the schools they want to join could leave very soon and being a bb school in a FB conference but WSU has football aspirations. Other than that: USM, NIU, Rice, Marshall maybe UAB (but they've got unfortunate commitment issues from thier administration that are hard to look past). And oh yeah Go Monarchs!
06-09-2016 08:32 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
If you mean--expansion for the current 12--there are probably only a few options that increase value.

1) Wichita (basketball only). That gives 12-football/12-basketball. That's a very small move, but it costs little and probably adds value.

2) Any scenario involving 4 or less teams that bring in Army, Air Force, and/or BYU. Getting all 3 academies under one roof is a definite value boost. BYU is a big value boost. Getting all 4 is the closest thing to a grand slam home run move for a G5 league.

3) A western expansion adding 4-6 of the top MW schools to create a nationwide conference. I think this could, over time, develop into a very valuable configuration that approximates a "best of the rest" G5 league. It would be a very interesting league, with a valuable footprint in major population centers across the nation, with good football and basketball. Over time, it would become the most recognized, most followed, most watched, and the most dominant G5 league--probably by a long shot. It think that probably insures it becomes the best paid league as well.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 08:49 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-09-2016 08:46 PM
CyclonePower Offline
2nd String

(06-09-2016 08:07 PM)goofus Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 07:38 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  

KU to the big ten

WVU to ACC?

if Kan, Ok, OkST, Tex, TT left the reaming 5 schools would not dissolve the Big12. they would remain in the Big12 and collect the exit fees and GOR fees..

The Big12 would need to add new teams but would probaly probably only invite Cincy, Houston and BYU and stop at 8 teams total.

Actually it only takes 3 teams to leave to dissolve the GOR.
06-09-2016 09:17 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats

*NIU as #2. They aren't terribly outside of the AAC footprint and they would add another very competitive football program. They don't have great Non-football sports and fan support is a little weak, but I think that both of those would be improved if they were squaring off against a regional team like Cincinnati and high profile G5 football teams like ECU, Houston, UCF, and USF, and high profile basketball teams like Temple, UConn, and Memphis.

*Army as #3. I doubt that the Knights would accept the offer because they'd be a little outclassed, but they would further align the conference with the nation's military and being the other half of the Army-Navy game into the media picture. They would also add a northeastern team with a lot of history for Temple and UConn, but they wouldn't add any strain on NE recruiting.

Who did I leave out?

1-No.
2-Maybe.
3-Yup.
4-Aw, Hell NO.

I'd put them in this order:
1-Army and/or Air Force (FB only)
2-NIU
3-Southern Miss
4-UNC-Charlotte
06-09-2016 09:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.