Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Satellite Camps With P5s
Bookmark and Share
TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
Exclamation Satellite Camps With P5s
Seems like the trend is growing. I'm curious, do most of you still hold the opinion that they are bad? Looks like Arkansas State and the Arkansas are teaming up, and South Alabama and Michigan are teaming up. There were some very unflattering words said about Trent Miles for collaborating with Penn State, and now it seems there's much more of this to come from fellow SBC schools. Satellite camps, ye or ne?
06-05-2016 09:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Satellite Camps With P5s
I thought they were bad, but damn if my program doesn't seem to like them. So now I think they're great.
06-05-2016 10:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
No idea on ours at the moment.
06-05-2016 11:01 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
We have camps with other schools. A big one is the one with UGA and Colorado state. But it's not at Paulson, so it's not really on our turf anyway. I think it's in ATL. So little differences. Also the P5 in attendance is already a big school in the region. We aren't importing bigger competition get that could turn a potential player away from GS.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 05:08 AM by trueeagle98.)
06-06-2016 05:07 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
I'm not a huge fan of schools traveling 2000 miles to recruit, but the kids are willing to pay so that's their choice. This
06-06-2016 05:10 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
LOL

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
06-06-2016 05:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
I don't think it's a good idea to pair with a non-regional P5 because you are willingly inviting entirely new eyes to see your potential recruits. Arkansas State is pairing with Arkansas so they aren't really inviting any new eyes into the state recruitment.

South Alabama with Michigan I don't agree with though. Because they are giving a credible school an opportunity to look at kids they normally wouldn't get to look at. Sure it may give South Alabama a chance to scout more players, but there are ways to do that without inviting a non-regional school into town.

Our camp is in conjunction with UGA, thats fine. I'm kinda "eh" about inviting Colorado State, but Coach Summers just came from there so I guess he's throwing them a bone and if a kid commits to a G5 that far across the country he likely wasn't staying in Georgia to begin with, a P5 is a different story.
06-06-2016 08:28 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I think they are good for the kids.

I personally don't want us to invite Michigan or Boise or Kansas to our camps though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
06-06-2016 08:48 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(06-06-2016 08:48 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  I think they are good for the kids.

I personally don't want us to invite Michigan or Boise or Kansas to our camps though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'll pair with Michigan any time. Any kid good enough to get an offer from Michigan is going to get an offer from local P5's and we aren't getting them. But Michigan's presence means some kids come in who think they are too good for G5 football and only the lack of offers will wake them up to it, but in the meantime we've had a chance to see them and get to know whether they fit attitude-wise.
06-06-2016 09:08 AM
TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

The sentiment last year was don't invite P5's at all, now it's "as long as they are instate". The lengths we go to justify things when it's our own program.

The overwhelming consensus was that these camps uncover talented kids that nobody knows about, including instate P5s. The idea that P5's would "poach" those 2 and 3-Star diamonds in the rough was highly prevalent at the time. Even more, the consensus was that SBC teams compete with G5s all the time for top athletes, and that its stupid not to go after 4 and 5-Star athletes. This mostly came from ArkSt fans, who at the top of the belt felt they could legitimately sign 4 and 5-Star athletes out of high school, and that having camps with P5s of any kind undermines that course of action.

There's nothing wrong with having an optimistic mindset, it's just ironic now that more SBC teams are doing it, it's shifted to "as long as they are instate". I have to raise a serious "BS" flag considering the 28+ page thread on how GSU will never win any meaningful games with that mentality. I thought their regular season finale was pretty meaningful.

As for Troy, I believe we camped with North Alabama recently for a "passing camp", but that's about all I know as far as Troy is concerned.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 09:51 AM by TroyFootball05.)
06-06-2016 09:44 AM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Don't do it. It is a trap. I mean. Who would want to get a receiver like Penny Hart out of one of those anyway?
06-06-2016 09:48 AM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

(06-06-2016 09:08 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Any kid good enough to get an offer from Michigan is going to get an offer from local P5's and we aren't getting them.

That's mostly accurate, with only a few exceptions. I remember GSU fans getting pummeled by ArkSt fans for making that kind of comment last year, basically saying their coach was pretty dumb because he spent more money and set his focus on the kids he was more likely to get.
06-06-2016 09:49 AM
kb325 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: stAte
(06-06-2016 09:44 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  The sentiment last year was don't invite P5's at all, now it's "as long as they are instate". The lengths we go to justify things when it's our own program.

The overwhelming consensus was that these camps uncover talented kids that nobody knows about, including instate P5s. The idea that P5's would "poach" those 2 and 3-Star diamonds in the rough was highly prevalent at the time. Even more, the consensus was that SBC teams compete with G5s all the time for top athletes, and that its stupid not to go after 4 and 5-Star athletes. This mostly came from ArkSt fans, who at the top of the belt felt they could legitimately sign 4 and 5-Star athletes out of high school, and that having camps with P5s of any kind undermines that course of action.

There's nothing wrong with having an optimistic mindset, it's just ironic now that more SBC teams are doing it, it's shifted to "as long as they are instate". I have to raise a serious "BS" flag considering the 28+ page thread on how GSU will never win any meaningful games with that mentality. I thought their regular season finale was pretty meaningful.

As for Troy, I believe we camped with North Alabama recently for a "passing camp", but that's about all I know as far as Troy is concerned.

The HC at stAte, Blake Anderson has made it clear that they will offer some 4-5 star recruits...knowing that the odds don't favor stAte...but if you don't offer then you have no chance at those type recruits at all. Read where Coach Anderson said the worse that can happen when you ask a 4-5 star recruit to play for you is they say no. Makes sense to me.

Having said that...Anderson and crew do concentrate more on the 3 star and down guys...you have to when you're a G5 school.
06-06-2016 10:15 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(06-06-2016 09:49 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 09:08 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Any kid good enough to get an offer from Michigan is going to get an offer from local P5's and we aren't getting them.

That's mostly accurate, with only a few exceptions. I remember GSU fans getting pummeled by ArkSt fans for making that kind of comment last year, basically saying their coach was pretty dumb because he spent more money and set his focus on the kids he was more likely to get.

Not THIS Arkansas State fan, you can back and look where I said it was smart because it meant kids who didn't know about Georgia State would go to their camp.
06-06-2016 10:18 AM
TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

(06-06-2016 10:15 AM)kb325 Wrote:  The HC at stAte, Blake Anderson has made it clear that they will offer some 4-5 star recruits...knowing that the odds don't favor stAte...but if you don't offer then you have no chance at those type recruits at all. Read where Coach Anderson said the worse that can happen when you ask a 4-5 star recruit to play for you is they say no. Makes sense to me.

Having said that...Anderson and crew do concentrate more on the 3 star and down guys...you have to when you're a G5 school.

I don't disagree with the logic, I do disagree with using it as an argument against satellite camps with P5s.
06-06-2016 10:20 AM
TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

(06-06-2016 10:18 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Not THIS Arkansas State fan, you can back and look where I said it was smart because it meant kids who didn't know about Georgia State would go to their camp.

I know full well you didn't, that's why I didn't hail you as arkstfan. I've been on this board long enough to know most of your positions are well thought out.
06-06-2016 10:24 AM
Advertisement

dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!

The fact that Arky State paired up with not Michigan....but the school they claim to hate with a red hot fiery passion (Dem Hawgs) makes this whole thing delicious to me.

And I know ArkStfan wasn't one but there was plenty of 'shaming' coming from the Arky State camp down on the Ga State faithful. Some serious nose looking down going on.

Now you don't hear a peep.

It's like George Costanza getting caught and saying 'Is that wrong...should I not have done that?'

Delicious indeed.
06-06-2016 10:32 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(06-06-2016 09:48 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  Don't do it. It is a trap. I mean. Who would want to get a receiver like Penny Hart out of one of those anyway?
I think our entire WR core the last five years is kids for whom GSU was their only FBS offer and one is a current NFL starter.

06-06-2016 10:44 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(06-06-2016 10:18 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

And from that Penn State camp we signed 6 and Penn State signed zero.

06-06-2016 10:47 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(06-06-2016 10:32 AM)dahbeed Wrote:  

The fact that Arky State paired up with not Michigan....but the school they claim to hate with a red hot fiery passion (Dem Hawgs) makes this whole thing delicious to me.

And I know ArkStfan wasn't one but there was plenty of 'shaming' coming from the Arky State camp down on the Ga State faithful. Some serious nose looking down going on.

Now you don't hear a peep.

It's like George Costanza getting caught and saying 'Is that wrong...should I not have done that?'

Delicious indeed.

Not like either of us (UArk or AState) was likely to uncover a player we didn't know about but we got good press and helped the lower division schools. Great night in my book. Plus helped some FCS, DII and DIII assistants build their coaching network.
06-06-2016 10:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.