Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC grant of rights breakdown from an FSU guy
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
ACC grant of rights breakdown from an FSU guy
http://allthingsfsu.blogspot.com/2016/06...r.html?m=1

Quote from the piece:

"For anyone who thought FSU "got something" in exchange for this deal, this Agreement does not bear that out. There are no special rights in there. Every school is treated the same (except ND). The integration clause makes it darn clear that no previous deals related to the GoR survive the execution of the Agreement. FSU would have a very hard time ever claiming it signed this thinking it was getting something more from the Conference."
06-04-2016 08:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
RE: ACC grant of rights breakdown from an FSU guy
Also from the blog ..... "The Grant of Rights is extreme. In essence, it simply means that any school who leaves gives up all its right to be paid from the Conference, but all it's TV and IP revenue from sports subject to the ESPN Agreement will still go to the Conference."

Doubtful any ACC members leave before 2027.

And if an ACC network doesn't happen, at the very least, Florida State will be looking for a new home to enter immediately after this GOR expires.
06-04-2016 08:49 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
What? The Dude said different...
06-04-2016 08:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
There was something in there to look at as well. No ACC Network, Georgia Tech, Clemson and FSU will be walking out the door. Wake Forest, Virginia and Boston College is bleeding money.

http://big12fanatics.com/expansion-proje...scorecard/

Maryland, Rutgers and Northwestern in the Big 10 is losing money.

Utah, Washington State, Oregon State and Colorado are in the worst shape.

BYU, Temple, UConn, SMU, Memphis, Fresno State, Boise State, New Mexico, San Diego State, Tulsa and Cincinnati are doing better than most of the P5. UCF is up there as well.
06-04-2016 09:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(06-04-2016 08:12 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  http://allthingsfsu.blogspot.com/2016/06...r.html?m=1

Quote from the piece:

"For anyone who thought FSU "got something" in exchange for this deal, this Agreement does not bear that out. There are no special rights in there. Every school is treated the same (except ND). The integration clause makes it darn clear that no previous deals related to the GoR survive the execution of the Agreement. FSU would have a very hard time ever claiming it signed this thinking it was getting something more from the Conference."

Keep in mind....the GOR didn't give FSU anything.

But FSU's BOT members have CLEARLY stated, publicly, they were promised things that were not delivered to sign.

Swofford basically made promises verbally to get them to sign....didn't' put it in writing....and they signed the GOR.
06-04-2016 10:09 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(06-04-2016 10:09 PM)nole Wrote:  
(06-04-2016 08:12 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  http://allthingsfsu.blogspot.com/2016/06...r.html?m=1

Quote from the piece:

But FSU's BOT members have CLEARLY stated, publicly, they were promised things that were not delivered to sign.

Swofford basically made promises verbally to get them to sign....didn't' put it in writing....and they signed the GOR.

It's irrelevant. Unless they are documented within the 4 corners of the document, any verbal assurances (to the extent that they even exist) are completely irrelevant here. As the FSU blogger noted, the GOR agreement has a boilerplate clause stating that all other prior agreements and statements are superseded and replaced by the terms of that GOR agreement, so a party cannot go back and do what you're saying (e.g. "They told me this verbally to get me to sign!"). It cannot be made clear enough: VERBAL ASSURANCES ARE WORTHLESS HERE.
06-05-2016 10:26 AM
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
Frank, can you go over the ND stuff that the writer talks about? That seems interesting.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that a school will have to go to court to get out of the GOR.

Expansion or moves among the P5 will involve the Big 12.
06-05-2016 11:06 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I would agree that for the next 5 years or so the most likely moves are the big 12 expanding or dissolving with expansion to 12 being the favorite. Yet, finding homes for 8 big 12 school's isn't that difficult with a pac 18-20, 1-2 going to the acc/sec if needed.
06-05-2016 11:20 AM
Johnny Incognito Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
(06-04-2016 09:03 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  No ACC Network, Georgia Tech, Clemson and FSU will be walking out the door.

What conference they gonna go to that has a conference network??
06-05-2016 11:30 AM
Johnny Incognito Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
Is this just to let Seminole fans know they can't go anywhere after they find out no conference network or big payout coming from ESPN?
06-05-2016 11:33 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(06-05-2016 10:26 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(06-04-2016 10:09 PM)nole Wrote:  
(06-04-2016 08:12 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  "For anyone who thought FSU "got something" in exchange for this deal, this Agreement does not bear that out. There are no special rights in there. Every school is treated the same (except ND). The integration clause makes it darn clear that no previous deals related to the GoR survive the execution of the Agreement. FSU would have a
http://allthingsfsu.blogspot.com/2016/06...r.html?m=1

Quote from the piece:
very hard time ever claiming it signed this thinking it was getting something more from the Conference."

It's irrelevant. Unless they are documented within the 4 corners of the document, any verbal assurances (to the extent that they even exist) are completely irrelevant here. As the FSU blogger noted, the GOR agreement has a boilerplate clause stating that all other prior agreements and statements are superseded and replaced by the terms of that GOR agreement, so a party cannot go back and do what you're saying (e.g. "They told me this verbally to get me to sign!"). It cannot be made clear enough: VERBAL ASSURANCES ARE WORTHLESS HERE.

I still think a challenge in court would find that the agreement isn't as enforceable as everyone thinks. These are publically funded not for profit academic institutions. There is little public interest served in stripping the institution of its TV rights and handing the funds derived from those rights to another conference.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the GOR would indeed allow the conference to control the exiting schools rights---but the conference would have to continue to compensate the exiting school for their pro-rata share of any earnings derived from those rights in order to maintain that control. To do otherwise is in effect a free lunch and a purely punitive damage award. Not sure how that kind of finding would affect realignment. I imagine it would lessen the punitive effect of the GOR, but would continue to decrease the financial incentive to add teams that wouldn't add much to a conferences bottom line. So, the GOR would probably still fulfill its purpose. All a conference would get is away conference games and the joining team would still get the same money they got in the old conference. Not a lot of motivation to move there.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2016 12:04 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-05-2016 11:51 AM
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

(06-05-2016 11:33 AM)Johnny Incognito Wrote:  Is this just to let Seminole fans know they can't go anywhere after they find out no conference network or big payout coming from ESPN?

FSU wsnts to be on a traditional metwork. Online website sreaming through a website to stream on a computer or TV is not what they wanred.

They want big money from traditional networks like the B1G has established.
06-05-2016 11:58 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
FSU and Clemson got screwed by the timing of realignment.

I think, with hindsight, they'd bolt. The Big XII would have been a good landing spot. But they had to decide while the Big XII was going through its extreme instability period.

The ACC was quite smart to make the GOR long term and strong. Other good moves. They boxed the Big XII in by taking Louisville. They offered ND a deal that prevented them from going to the B1G. They only lost Maryland to the B1G and lost no one to the SEC. Syracuse and Pitt were questionable adds (from a P5 football perspective) but better than Rutgers.

But at the end of the GOR/Day, the ACC is stuck with Wake, BC, Pitt, Virginia, NC State, Duke, and Syracuse. Some of them are okay for football, but that's a lot of historically poorly performing football schools (again from a P5 perspective). They had better watch their backs in 5 or so years. Because the Big XII if they survive could grab FSU and Clemson (or Miami). If I'm the Big XII, I'd be holding spots open for them.
06-05-2016 12:31 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
ND was one of the prime movers on the GOR.

It did not want to join an unstable ACC.

Its "Tier 1" rights (NBC) are not included in the GOR.

If ND walks, it takes the NBC contract with it.

Its other sports are tied to the GOR and it is subject to the ACC exit fee and the "ND football can only join the ACC before 2027" contract.
06-05-2016 12:50 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(06-05-2016 11:58 AM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  
(06-05-2016 11:33 AM)Johnny Incognito Wrote:  Is this just to let Seminole fans know they can't go anywhere after they find out no conference network or big payout coming from ESPN?

FSU wsnts to be on a traditional metwork. Online website sreaming through a website to stream on a computer or TV is not what they wanred.

How is it that a Nebraska fan, knows exactly what a University (which I assume means their fans, alumni, faculty and administrators)wants? Especially if the said University is not his own.
That sure is a lot of knowledge for one person to possess. 04-bow
06-05-2016 01:00 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

(06-05-2016 01:00 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(06-05-2016 11:58 AM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  

How is it that a Nebraska fan, knows exactly what a University (which I assume means their fans, alumni, faculty and administrators)wants? Especially if the said University is not his own.
That sure is a lot of knowledge for one person to possess. 04-bow

Not that hard when it is clearly stated in the blog post.
06-05-2016 01:02 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(06-05-2016 12:31 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  FSU and Clemson got screwed by the timing of realignment.

I think, with hindsight, they'd bolt. The Big XII would have been a good landing spot. But they had to decide while the Big XII was going through its extreme instability period.

The ACC was quite smart to make the GOR long term and strong. Other good moves. They boxed the Big XII in by taking Louisville. They offered ND a deal that prevented them from going to the B1G. They only lost Maryland to the B1G and lost no one to the SEC. Syracuse and Pitt were questionable adds (from a P5 football perspective) but better than Rutgers.

But at the end of the GOR/Day, the ACC is stuck with Wake, BC, Pitt, Virginia, NC State, Duke, and Syracuse. Some of them are okay for football, but that's a lot of historically poorly performing football schools (again from a P5 perspective). They had better watch their backs in 5 or so years. Because the Big XII if they survive could grab FSU and Clemson (or Miami). If I'm the Big XII, I'd be holding spots open for them.

I wouldn't say the ACC is stuck with anybody.

And I doubt the Big 12 can hold out until 2027.
06-05-2016 01:43 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(06-05-2016 12:31 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  FSU and Clemson got screwed by the timing of realignment.

The ACC should've targeted flagship public schools first, especially those that have no FBS competition. To that end, I would've taken Rutgers and West Virginia first but also Syracuse and Pitt to get to 16.
06-05-2016 01:44 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(06-05-2016 01:44 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  

The ACC should've targeted flagship public schools first, especially those that have no FBS competition. To that end, I would've taken Rutgers and West Virginia first but also Syracuse and Pitt to get to 16.

Rutgers has value to the B10 only because of the way the B10 Network is structured. Rutgers was added for TV sets - nothing else. They would have added nothing to the ACC given the way the ACC's contract was structured, just another mouth to feed. And I think calling West Virginia a flagship public school is a bit of an exaggeration. West Va is a tiny state, and WVa's geographic location was also covered by UVa, VT, and MD at the time WVa received their B12 offer. The addition of Pitt with those three meant WVa would add next to nothing for the ACC.

Maryland was never going to allow West Virginia into the ACC and they had Virginia's and Duke's support on that point. It is also doubtful GT and WF would ever have voted for WVa, over MD's objections. WVa is to MD what UConn is to BC - an existential threat that is perceived as too close for comfort and MD's administration hated WVa's fans.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2016 01:57 PM by lumberpack4.)
06-05-2016 01:53 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(06-05-2016 01:44 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  

Penn State wanted Rutgers.
06-05-2016 01:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.