Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bourne Dialogue - scheduling
Bookmark and Share
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
Felt like this needed its own thread.
So the DNR article came out about scheduling and Bourne is careful to write that he was planning on talking about football scheduling for a few months now and wants to know that it was almost by coincidence that this article came out the day this latest edition of the Bourne Dialogue came out.

I read a lot of his explanation as AD-speak and trying to encourage fans that we don't have as many options because we're 1) too good of an FCS program and 2) we need to make money and play the 1 fbs school and 2 home games.

We can't play away games against good FCS teams because it hurts our chances... well, he didn't address the fact that we are playing a home and home against Norfolk State. How does that scheduling help us in the least?! I am still outraged about that more than anything else... even more than the conference affiliation snafu.
06-03-2016 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

#YEEHAWDUKES Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
RE: Bourne Dialogue - scheduling
Not to completely defend bourne cause i'm as mad as anyone over the NDSU and norfolk st blunders but he did address scheduling at the coaches caravan and said that it would be included in his next bourne dialogue.
06-03-2016 11:56 AM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

(06-03-2016 11:47 AM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  Felt like this needed its own thread.
So the DNR article came out about scheduling and Bourne is careful to write that he was planning on talking about football scheduling for a few months now and wants to know that it was almost by coincidence that this article came out the day this latest edition of the Bourne Dialogue came out.

I read a lot of his explanation as AD-speak and trying to encourage fans that we don't have as many options because we're 1) too good of an FCS program and 2) we need to make money and play the 1 fbs school and 2 home games.

We can't play away games against good FCS teams because it hurts our chances... well, he didn't address the fact that we are playing a home and home against Norfolk State. How does that scheduling help us in the least?! I am still outraged about that more than anything else... even more than the conference affiliation snafu.

This idea that scheduling good games hurts JMU's chances of making the playoffs drives me crazy. Haven't we established that with the expanded field, a 7-4 and maybe a 6-5 team from the CAA will always make the playoffs? I know BDK did some quality research on this a while back.

So we can't take a chance on a nationally televised game at NDSU because we might lose? There are still 4 more losses to absorb and most likely get in. I guess the game is they want to be able to go .500 in conference and still make the playoffs. So 2 easy wins, an FBS loss, a .500 in the conference gets you in and because you haven't beaten anyone good, you exit in the first round.

Whoop de doo!
06-03-2016 12:00 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I thought JB's piece was rational and justified. You can disagree with him over his approach to scheduling, but your disagreement doesn't make him wrong and you right. I do agree with him that having 6 games at home each season is a priority. As for Norfolk, JMU has a lot of alums down that way, it's a big stadium so tickets should be an easy get, and there are a lot of recruits down that way too.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 01:20 PM by Longhorn.)
06-03-2016 01:19 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
(06-03-2016 12:00 PM)JMUETC Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 11:47 AM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  Felt like this needed its own thread.

This idea that scheduling good games hurts JMU's chances of making the playoffs drives me crazy. Haven't we established that with the expanded field, a 7-4 and maybe a 6-5 team from the CAA will always make the playoffs? I know BDK did some quality research on this a while back.

So we can't take a chance on a nationally televised game at NDSU because we might lose? There are still 4 more losses to absorb and most likely get in. I guess the game is they want to be able to go .500 in conference and still make the playoffs. So 2 easy wins, an FBS loss, a .500 in the conference gets you in and because you haven't beaten anyone good, you exit in the first round.

Whoop de doo!

Well, I had said it was a lock that a 7-4, 7 Div I win CAA makes a watered down, 24 playoff field with an additional at large (14) with the MEAC dropping out. I was wrong. This past year's playoffs I thought the committee said the last 4 in were 9-2 Fordham (didn't win the Patriot AQ (7-4 Colgate did), 7-4 UNH, 6-5 WIU, 7-4 EIU? Anyway, I'm thinking UNH was about the 22nd team/12th at large in.

UNH (7-4/5-3)
-2-1 vs playoff teams (beat Colgate, RU, lost W&M).
-2 kind of bad losses. Were thumped badly by 5-5 SBU (SBU not 5-6 because were losing their game @ UCONN, was called at the half due to lightning). Lost 4-7 UD

TU (7-4/5-3) had to be one of the 1st 2 teams out along with 7-4 N Dakota.
-0-2 vs playoff teams (lost JMU & W&M, dnp RU & UNH)
-1 bad loss (Elon).

So I think its highly likely in an 11 game season that a 7-4 out of the CAA will get in this watered down 24 team, 14 at large bid field, but as TU proved, not a lock.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 01:44 PM by BDKJMU.)
06-03-2016 01:25 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

Let's not forget an important part of what the statement included: the coach has a say. Without calling him out directly, he said EW wanted to schedule easy OOC games due to the challenging CAA. How is that Bourne's fault?
Also he said many of those contracts are extremely expensive to buy out so it's in our best interest to play them. I didn't see anything related to Houston, but did say without saying it directly that there is a philosophy change. I do think we'll see more competitive OOC games, but we may have to wait until we fulfill these garbage ones.
As much as I'd really like to blame Bourne, I really can't. His statement actually made sense.
As for NDSU, we should NEVER settle for an away game vs an FCS quality opponent where it doesn't involve them coming to us at least once. NDSU didn't want a fair deal and we rightfully declined. I don't get how that is acceptable to any of you. Hell, even App State agreed to come play us in a fair regular season series. Plus it wouldn't have surprised me if NDSU would have tried to pull the same garbage Liberty did a while back. Oh, by the way, let's not forget it would have been a regular season game which means they wouldn't have to give us the usual amount of tickets as they would a playoff game. I believe they only need to provide 500 tickets in the regular season.
Sorry, but I dislike Bourne as much as most of you, but he did the right thing not giving in to NDSU.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 01:48 PM by JMad03.)
06-03-2016 01:41 PM
Advertisement

GH86 Offline
Water Engineer

Wasn't the NDSU game supposed to be on ESPN?
06-03-2016 01:46 PM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

Nationally televised away game against top team in FCS that every alumn and recruit could watch on TV vs regional away game that some people can see in person. If you're going to justify both playing home and home with Norfolk state and turning down NDSU kickoff game, that just doesn't make sense to me, but agree to disagree I suppose.

I do think it's fair that JB eludes to how MM pressured him into scheduling cupcakes. He got a lot of heat for just trying to make his coach happy.
06-03-2016 01:53 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

(06-03-2016 01:41 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  Let's not forget an important part of what the statement included: the coach has a say. Without calling him out directly, he said EW wanted to schedule easy OOC games due to the challenging CAA. How is that Bourne's fault?
Also he said many of those contracts are extremely expensive to buy out so it's in our best interest to play them. I didn't see anything related to Houston, but did say without saying it directly that there is a philosophy change. I do think we'll see more competitive OOC games, but we may have to wait until we fulfill these garbage ones.
As much as I'd really like to blame Bourne, I really can't. His statement actually made sense.
As for NDSU, we should NEVER settle for an away game vs an FCS quality opponent where it doesn't involve them coming to us at least once. NDSU didn't want a fair deal and we rightfully declined. I don't get how that is acceptable to any of you. Hell, even App State agreed to come play us in a fair regular season series. Plus it wouldn't have surprised me if NDSU would have tried to pull the same garbage Liberty did a while back. Oh, by the way, let's not forget it would have been a regular season game which means they wouldn't have to give us the usual amount of tickets as they would a playoff game. I believe they only need to provide 500 tickets in the regular season.
Sorry, but I dislike Bourne as much as most of you, but he did the right thing not giving in to NDSU.
You listed the wrong info. Mickey wanted cupcake games. Withers wanted 2 FBS games per year.
06-03-2016 01:56 PM
QuinDuke Offline
Special Teams

Bourne's dialogue also mentioned that slowly decreasing attendance makes it harder to do things like buy out some of these contracts. They've noticed that people aren't turning out the way they used to.
06-03-2016 02:15 PM
Dadgum Offline
1st String

There are only two things I want to hear from Jeff Bourne:

1. I am stepping down as AD at James Madison University.

or

2. I am excited to announce that JMU has accepted an invitation to XYZ conference.

Everything else is just drivel, a placeholder, until the next statement filled with bull**** and hotair.
06-03-2016 02:16 PM
Advertisement

atljmualum Offline
All American

(06-03-2016 02:15 PM)QuinDuke Wrote:  Bourne's dialogue also mentioned that slowly decreasing attendance makes it harder to do things like buy out some of these contracts. They've noticed that people aren't turning out the way they used to.

Perhaps there's a direct correlation between the quality of opponents and attendance...
06-03-2016 02:21 PM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUUUUKES
I, for one, agree with every word of what Bourne said and that shouldnt come as much of a surprise to anyone that knows me. As long as JMU is in FCS (which I hope isnt much longer) then all that matters is making the playoffs as a seeded team with a bye week and Home field throughout. Bourne said exactly as much.

There is no other option in my mind. I will happily play as many cupcakes as necessary home or away to make this happen. Just making the playoffs (6 or 7 win) is not enough. I dont watch/cheer for jmu because i want to see regular season football against known teams. I watch because I want to see my team win the Nat'l Championship. Therefore everything we can do that is within our control leading up to that point should be done. Scheduling for wins, setting the bye week at the right times, bidding on home games, paying COA (if it becomes necessary for FCS football), proper recruiting, etc. I am so happy that Bourne has and continues to agree with me.
06-03-2016 02:42 PM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUUUUKES
(06-03-2016 02:42 PM)JMU_Degenerate Wrote:  I, for one, agree with every word of what Bourne said and that shouldnt come as much of a surprise to anyone that knows me. As long as JMU is in FCS (which I hope isnt much longer) then all that matters is making the playoffs as a seeded team with a bye week and Home field throughout. Bourne said exactly as much.

There is no other option in my mind. I will happily play as many cupcakes as necessary home or away to make this happen. Just making the playoffs (6 or 7 win) is not enough. I dont watch/cheer for jmu because i want to see regular season football against known teams. I watch because I want to see my team win the Nat'l Championship. Therefore everything we can do that is within our control leading up to that point should be done. Scheduling for wins, setting the bye week at the right times, bidding on home games, paying COA (if it becomes necessary for FCS football), proper recruiting, etc. I am so happy that Bourne has and continues to agree with me.

This goes for basketball too. Which is why we need COA, new Convo, (needed a new coach), and need to consider our potential draw in the CAA tournament as the season comes to a close.
For instance, if we had strategically rested our players against WM in the last regular season game and then lost that game we would have been favored in our first CAA tourny game (against Towson) instead of being sizable underdogs to WM. The CAA is a one-bid league, every advantage you can gain at any point in the season is huge.
06-03-2016 02:45 PM
HotHamandCheese84 Offline
Special Teams

(06-03-2016 02:42 PM)JMU_Degenerate Wrote:  I, for one, agree with every word of what Bourne said and that shouldnt come as much of a surprise to anyone that knows me. As long as JMU is in FCS (which I hope isnt much longer) then all that matters is making the playoffs as a seeded team with a bye week and Home field throughout. Bourne said exactly as much.

Agree 100%. We need to to be the top of any conference we are in and win the national championship again at the FCS level as long as we are at this level. I don't want JMU to remain in FCS and I am looking forward to the day when we are at the next level. I want JMU Football playing at BFS in December every year and I believe that under Coach Houston JMU Football will actually win games in December and in January.
06-03-2016 02:47 PM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

I guess I just don't think scheduling for wins is the best prep for a national championship.
06-03-2016 02:59 PM
Advertisement

ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(06-03-2016 02:47 PM)HotHamandCheese84 Wrote:  

Agree 100%. We need to to be the top of any conference we are in and win the national championship again at the FCS level as long as we are at this level. I don't want JMU to remain in FCS and I am looking forward to the day when we are at the next level. I want JMU Football playing at BFS in December every year and I believe that under Coach Houston JMU Football will actually win games in December and in January.

Ditto.....all these same folks that moan and groan about wanting no cupcakes would be calling for heads if JMU scheduled, 3 ranked FCS teams and then as a result missed the playoffs.

As long as in FCS it is about setting yourself up for success in the playoffs and that means going for the high seed and a bye. The CAA is not as strong as a few years ago but still a very solid FCS conference with tough games with VU/W&M/RICH/SB/Towson
06-03-2016 03:10 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

This year the bad OOC schedule might be a blessing in disquise. New HC, new OC & offense, new DC & defense. Remember how bad JMU was under Withers 1st 5 games through the end of Sept 14', going 2-3, and then its like a flip got switched? There is a chance of that happening this year. So to start off having 2 cupcakes and @ UNC, which virtually guarantees 2-1, is a good thing. After @ UNC its 2nd straight week on the road @ Maine, then closing Sept (Oct 1) by hosting UD, who gave JMU everything it could handle last year while only starting 3 seniors, 7 on the entire roster. I'd rather not have one of those 2 home OOC cupcakes changed out for a much tougher one at home or away and then have a repeat of 2014, starting in a 2-3 hole again, and then having to rely on winning out again..
06-03-2016 03:13 PM
Dukester Offline

(06-03-2016 01:56 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 01:41 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  Let's not forget an important part of what the statement included: the coach has a say. Without calling him out directly, he said EW wanted to schedule easy OOC games due to the challenging CAA. How is that Bourne's fault?
You listed the wrong info. Mickey wanted cupcake games. Withers wanted 2 FBS games per year.

Yeah things never seem to jive. Withers wanted 2 1-As.
Bourne said no room for 1 & 1 series with a top 1AA

Yet while both were here we schedule a home and home with Norfolk state.

The peices don't add up.

So annoying - today's DNR said Bourne is looking at options for 2019. Four years from now....

What's the best non CAA team we've played in the new stadium?

There's no excuse.... Oops, there are excuses but they suck.

I would of been excited for months about NDS.

Probably the first year in 20 I will skip some home games.

Two cupcakes is ridiculous. Year after year after year. Not that excited about the CAA. I huge step down is way less appealing.

I'd much rather have a home and home against a decent game then two against competition that is not worth watching.
06-03-2016 03:33 PM
GH86 Offline
Water Engineer

We claim to be a premier program in FCS but are scared to play the best.
06-03-2016 03:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.