Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ND to ACC (Brando predicts...)
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
ND to ACC (Brando predicts...)
So, the new FOX podcast episode of The Audible has Tim Brando predicting ND all-in to the ACC.

And in light of the Big 12 drama...it could be an interesting "two-for" sweetheart deal for Texas and ND. Both get to keep third tier rights (LHN for UT). ACC Network (even with ND and Texas missing their 3rd tier rights) still gets better inventory and programming.

ACC stays at 8 games for conference play. Play your POD and another pod...plus 1 "out-of-division" game each year.

Miami
ND
BC
UT

UNC
NCSt
Duke
UVA

Syracuse
Pitt
VaTech
Louisville

FSU
Clemson
Wake
GaTech

ND then has 4 OOC games to keep USC/Navy/Stanford/cupcake. But the schedule is very "national" and diverse simply within the ACC schedule. Consider year 1--UT, BC, Miami, UNC, NCSt, UVA, Duke PLUS 1 other ACC foe PLUS USC/Navy/Stanford. There's the potential of games in 6 different states (NC, CA, UT, FL, VA, MA).

UT also has 4 OOC games to schedule OU and 3 "local" schools (2 of the 3 being at home probably). Consider their "theoretical" year 1--ND, BC, Miami, UNC, NCSt, UVA, Duke PLUS 1 other ACC foe PLUS OU, Rice, TTECH, and Tulsa. They'd get 7 or 8 games in the state of Texas still (4 ACC home games, Red River Rivalry, creampuff home games [Rice and Tulsa], and maybe TTECH?).

...and all this would free up OU and Kansas to the Big Ten. (The SEC scrambles to grab OkSt and WVU...and the three 16 team conferences are complete...)
06-02-2016 12:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Special Teams

RE: ND to ACC (Brando predicts...)
One other thought...the ACC could ban the FSU/Clemson pod from every being aligned with the ND/UT/Miami pod. It would be too stacked. Always match up those two pods as the "extra, 8th game" for yearly play so they do play on occasion.

For example,
ND
UT
Miami
BC
with the UNC pod

FSU
Clemson
GaTech
Wake
with the VaTech pod

8th games...
FSU/Miami
Clemson/UT
GaTech/ND
Wake/BC

Next year...ND pod with VaTech pod WHILE FSU pod with UNC pod
8th games
FSU/UT
Clemson/ND
GaTech/BC
Wake/Miami
06-02-2016 01:02 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
I will believe ND is joining a conference when Hell Freezes over
06-02-2016 01:32 PM
Cyniclone Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(06-02-2016 01:02 PM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  One other thought...the ACC could ban the FSU/Clemson pod from every being aligned with the ND/UT/Miami pod. It would be too stacked. Always match up those two pods as the "extra, 8th game" for yearly play so they do play on occasion.

For example,
ND
UT
Miami
BC
with the UNC pod

FSU
Clemson
GaTech
Wake
with the VaTech pod

8th games...
FSU/Miami
Clemson/UT
GaTech/ND
Wake/BC

8th games
FSU/UT
Clemson/ND
GaTech/BC
Wake/Miami

So every school would have two schools that it never plays during the conference schedule?

And Wake Forest would hate the crap out of that setup — separated from the other Tobacco Road schools, and never playing Notre Dame or Texas.

EDIT: Never mind; Wake Forest could still play Notre Dame and Texas, presuming that the FSU pod teams cycle through the ND pod teams over four years. But then that eliminates the two more obvious protected crossover games -- FSU-Miami and Notre Dame-Boston College
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2016 01:45 PM by Cyniclone.)
06-02-2016 01:34 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(06-02-2016 01:32 PM)Maize Wrote:  I will believe ND is joining a conference when Hell Freezes over

or when the CFP is a champions model only, which is the equivalent of Hell freezing over. 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil
06-02-2016 01:51 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(06-02-2016 01:32 PM)Maize Wrote:  I will believe ND is joining a conference when Hell Freezes over

Hell is a village in the Lånke area of the municipality of Stjørdal in Nord-Trøndelag county, Norway. [LINK]

Quote:Temperatures in Hell can reach −25 °C (−13 °F)[4] during winter.
06-02-2016 01:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple

Actually the announcement with be the Tuesday after hell freezes over.
06-02-2016 01:53 PM
Carolina Stang Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Wake Forest belongs in the AAC...not the ACC. And I have an MBA from Wake.
06-02-2016 01:54 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(06-02-2016 01:54 PM)Carolina Stang Wrote:  Wake Forest belongs in the AAC...not the ACC. And I have an MBA from Wake.

Wake Forest has contributed more to the ACC athletically in the past 25 years than NC State.
06-02-2016 02:05 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I fully believe Notre Dame will go all-in on the ACC.

Several years after things change to such a degree that complete membership is in Notre Dame's interest. They aren't going all in unless there is complete certainty it is the best path.
06-02-2016 02:15 PM
Special Teams

(06-02-2016 01:34 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 01:02 PM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  One other thought...the ACC could ban the FSU/Clemson pod from every being aligned with the ND/UT/Miami pod. It would be too stacked. Always match up those two pods as the "extra, 8th game" for yearly play so they do play on occasion.

For example,
ND
UT
Miami
BC
with the UNC pod

FSU
Clemson
GaTech
Wake
with the VaTech pod

8th games...
FSU/Miami
Clemson/UT
GaTech/ND
Wake/BC

8th games
FSU/UT
Clemson/ND
GaTech/BC
Wake/Miami

So every school would have two schools that it never plays during the conference schedule?

And Wake Forest would hate the crap out of that setup — separated from the other Tobacco Road schools, and never playing Notre Dame or Texas.

EDIT: Never mind; Wake Forest could still play Notre Dame and Texas, presuming that the FSU pod teams cycle through the ND pod teams over four years. But then that eliminates the two more obvious protected crossover games -- FSU-Miami and Notre Dame-Boston College

FSU vs. Miami would only happen once every four years. That's obviously disappointing. But BC/ND happens every year. They are in the same pod.

Same pod you play every year.
Two pods (the ones which join yours to make a division) you play every other year.
One pod (the one you never join) you play once every four years.
06-02-2016 02:57 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Brando makes me laugh. He is pretty clueless for a guy supposedly "wired in". Has he even thought to ask anyone at ND?

Until John Swofford told him, Brando didn't even know about the " ND only to the ACC if it joins" contract.

Until that moment, he had jumped all on the "ND to the Big Ten" bandwagon. Based on a Tweet? Really?

I used to watch him back in the Eighties as the local Baton Rouge sports anchor and didn't think much of him then (or now).
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2016 03:06 PM by TerryD.)
06-02-2016 03:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-02-2016 02:15 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I fully believe Notre Dame will go all-in on the ACC.

Several years after things change to such a degree that complete membership is in Notre Dame's interest. They aren't going all in unless there is complete certainty it is the best path.

I expect they will join in the next 20 years, but not in the next 10.
06-02-2016 03:23 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
And they will have to re-think the Big 10 at that time. They agreed to join once, but couldn't get the Trustees to agree.
06-02-2016 03:24 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(06-02-2016 12:56 PM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  So, the new FOX podcast episode of The Audible has Tim Brando predicting ND all-in to the ACC.

And in light of the Big 12 drama...it could be an interesting "two-for" sweetheart deal for Texas and ND. Both get to keep third tier rights (LHN for UT). ACC Network (even with ND and Texas missing their 3rd tier rights) still gets better inventory and programming.

ACC stays at 8 games for conference play. Play your POD and another pod...plus 1 "out-of-division" game each year.

Miami
ND
BC
UT

UNC
NCSt
Duke
UVA

Syracuse
Pitt
VaTech
Louisville

FSU
Clemson
Wake
GaTech

ND then has 4 OOC games to keep USC/Navy/Stanford/cupcake. But the schedule is very "national" and diverse simply within the ACC schedule. Consider year 1--UT, BC, Miami, UNC, NCSt, UVA, Duke PLUS 1 other ACC foe PLUS USC/Navy/Stanford. There's the potential of games in 6 different states (NC, CA, UT, FL, VA, MA).

UT also has 4 OOC games to schedule OU and 3 "local" schools (2 of the 3 being at home probably). Consider their "theoretical" year 1--ND, BC, Miami, UNC, NCSt, UVA, Duke PLUS 1 other ACC foe PLUS OU, Rice, TTECH, and Tulsa. They'd get 7 or 8 games in the state of Texas still (4 ACC home games, Red River Rivalry, creampuff home games [Rice and Tulsa], and maybe TTECH?).

...and all this would free up OU and Kansas to the Big Ten. (The SEC scrambles to grab OkSt and WVU...and the three 16 team conferences are complete...)

Do you happen to have a link for that Brando prediction?
06-02-2016 03:29 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(06-02-2016 03:04 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Brando makes me laugh. He is pretty clueless for a guy supposedly "wired in". Has he even thought to ask anyone at ND?

Until John Swofford told him, Brando didn't even know about the " ND only to the ACC if it joins" contract.

Until that moment, he had jumped all on the "ND to the Big Ten" bandwagon. Based on a Tweet? Really?

I used to watch him back in the Eighties as the local Baton Rouge sports anchor and didn't think much of him then (or now).

Totally agree with Terry here... if you're basing "ND all-in for football" on a quote from Tim Brando, you shouldn't purchase a car by yourself.
06-02-2016 04:05 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(06-02-2016 12:56 PM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  So, the new FOX podcast episode of The Audible has Tim Brando predicting ND all-in to the ACC.

And in light of the Big 12 drama...it could be an interesting "two-for" sweetheart deal for Texas and ND. ..... (The SEC scrambles to grab OkSt and WVU...and the three 16 team conferences are complete...)

Yeah, the SEC is going to settle for OK State and WVU while the ACC gets Texas and Notre Dame, the two biggest brands in college athletics? 03-lmfao

While he's at it, Brando might as well 'predict' that the Carolina Panthers are going to go "all in" to the ACC as well. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2016 04:17 PM by quo vadis.)
06-02-2016 04:17 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(06-02-2016 04:05 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 03:04 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Brando makes me laugh. He is pretty clueless for a guy supposedly "wired in". Has he even thought to ask anyone at ND?

Totally agree with Terry here... if you're basing "ND all-in for football" on a quote from Tim Brando, you shouldn't purchase a car by yourself.

Agree, everything I have read recently coming out of ND is that they will not go full in because they love the flexibility this gives them scheduling wise.
06-02-2016 04:19 PM
Cyniclone Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(06-02-2016 02:57 PM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  
(06-02-2016 01:34 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

For example,
ND
UT
Miami
BC
with the UNC pod

FSU
Clemson
GaTech
Wake
with the VaTech pod

8th games...
FSU/Miami
Clemson/UT
GaTech/ND
Wake/BC

8th games
FSU/UT
Clemson/ND
GaTech/BC
Wake/Miami

FSU vs. Miami would only happen once every four years. That's obviously disappointing. But BC/ND happens every year. They are in the same pod.

Same pod you play every year.
Two pods (the ones which join yours to make a division) you play every other year.
One pod (the one you never join) you play once every four years.

You're right, I misread that.

I do think Wake Forest would be very upset to be separated from the other Carolina schools. And while it's easy to dismiss their feelings based on their less-than-stellar on-field performance, there's a deep history between the schools that would probably make the others unhappy about it as well. I don't think they'd leave over it or anything; as it is, the four Carolina schools are split 2/2. But if there's an opportunity to create a pod, you'd expect the Carolina schools to fight hard to be a pod unto themselves.
06-02-2016 04:27 PM
krup Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers

It amazes me that people are still on this line of thinking. If there were ever any compelling reasons for ND to join a conference (access to the cfb championship game, scheduling, access to non-NYD bowls and a good home for non-football sports), they were all solved with the college football playoff and hybrid arrangement with the ACC.

There has never been less reasons for ND joining a conference than there is now.
06-02-2016 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.