Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What happens now if Oklahoma wants to leave?
SMUfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
What happens now if Oklahoma wants to leave?
Wouldn't blame Oklahoma if they want to leave the Big 12. What are the negatives?
05-31-2016 05:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Sellular1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
RE: What happens now if Oklahoma wants to leave?
(05-31-2016 05:22 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  Wouldn't blame Oklahoma if they want to leave the Big 12. What are the negatives?

Can't imagine any negatives for anyone.
05-31-2016 05:25 PM
Soobahk40050 Online
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(05-31-2016 05:25 PM)Sellular1 Wrote:  
(05-31-2016 05:22 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  Wouldn't blame Oklahoma if they want to leave the Big 12. What are the negatives?

Can't imagine any negatives for anyone.

Leaving in 2024 - none, except political backlash if they don't take OK State with them.

Leaving now - $$$.
05-31-2016 05:26 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Oklahoma is rich enough to afford the exit fees. However, they are going to have to challenge the GoR or facilitate the dissolution of the B12. Neither is going to be attractive to potential new conferences.

If they want to go to the P12 they need Texas. If they want to go anywhere else, the probably can't take Oklahoma State with them.
05-31-2016 05:31 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
Oklahoma has been setting the stage to leave, just a matter of when. Truth be told they don't really want to expand either, you've heard people on their side say it. They just want to appear to be in favor of it so that when it doesn't happen they can leave and say "we tried to save the B12 but Texas wouldn't let us."
05-31-2016 05:33 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(05-31-2016 05:33 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Oklahoma has been setting the stage to leave, just a matter of when. Truth be told they don't really want to expand either, you've heard people on their side say it. They just want to appear to be in favor of it so that when it doesn't happen they can leave and say "we tried to save the B12 but Texas wouldn't let us."

Exactly. This is just preparing the ground for the future when the GOR gets to a much more manageable level for everyone concerned. What you are going to see isn't wholesale expansion, but of conferences adjusting membership based on philosophical goals within the athletic departments of member schools.
05-31-2016 05:38 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

There are no negatives. There are things that must be done before such a move is affordable. They will have to place at least 8 schools to keep from being bitten severely by the GOR. In order for that to happen Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma are all likely to head in different directions. If that is the case then OSU needs to move with Oklahoma. It is the only way they can preserve Bedlam and the RRR.

That means that FOX and ESPN will have to cooperate since they roughly split the rights to the Big 10 with the exception of some T3 and the LHN. It means that Texas and Oklahoma will have to use their leverage to help find spots for as many as possible.

However unlikely I believe the following to be something like this would have to transpire to pull it off:

1. Texas probably needs to move to the PAC where FOX and ESPN equally lease the product. That gives both the access to Texas that they would need for this to be equitably placed movement. The PAC for extra carriage could absorb the LHN or ESPN could simply agree with Texas to end it. If Texas wants the money then they can be paid back at a percentage per school of their new conference until it is settled. I would think that markets and academics will matter to the PAC so if they get Texas then Tech will likely be the price. Iowa State needs a home and they are AAU. Fill in that gap with Kansas State.

Perhaps the only conference wealthy enough to make lemonade out of OSU is the SEC. If they had to take the Cowboys to get the Sooners it would be more workable here than elsewhere.

If the ACC expands with West Virginia and T.C.U. it could work. Kansas would be available to head to the PAC if the Big 10 is not interested.

But even that would be a long shot.

The problem with placing schools is that the Big 10 has very specific criteria. If they took two brands there wouldn't be enough leverage to place the rest.

So, either things will be brokered in some fashion or we'll all wait for 6 years to see what happens closer to the end of the GOR.
05-31-2016 05:57 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
ESPN caused this whole mess by saying certain schools are power, and the rest are mid-majors. There are many P5 like schools stuck in the G5, but the ego of the P5 conferences got way too big to even work a way to get them in.

East Carolina
UCF
USF
BYU
Army
Navy
Air Force
Houston
Cincinnati
Temple
Memphis
UConn
Boise State
Colorado State
Fresno State
San Diego State
New Mexico
Hawaii
UNLV
UNR
Marshall
Rice
SMU
Tulane
UTEP
Old Dominion
Toledo
Northern Illinois
Ohio U.
Bowling Green
Arkansas State
Southern Miss.

The whole NCAA and conferences need a complete makeover.

Only schools leaving the Big 12 are Oklahoma and Texas. The others bring nothing to the table to the other P5 conferences. Oklahoma can't go anywhere without Oklahoma State and Kansas can't go without taken Kansas State with them.
05-31-2016 06:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Oklahoma has wanted to leave the Big 12 for a while now. All they needed was something to light the fuse.
05-31-2016 06:24 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
What about saying they'll be leaving in 2024 and then watch the conference dissolve beneath them, thus negating the need for a GOR?

That way, they make others pay the GOR
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2016 06:32 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
05-31-2016 06:32 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-31-2016 06:32 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  What about saying they'll be leaving in 2024 and then watch the conference dissolve beneath them, thus negating the need for a GOR?

They can't. The way the GOR is written any announcement of intention to leave is considered a breech and revenue can be withheld.
05-31-2016 06:45 PM
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
Oklahoma people love to talk big talk about leaving, but they aren't going to leave for years. Chances are they will stay with Texas until the end of the GOR. Oklahoma hasn't spent any time putting their lawyers to work to file a lawsuit or anything like that.

Football games will be getting played in three months. Then football season passes and the winter comes. Next spring we will be back to the same old stuff for the Big 12 still talking about expansion.

Chip said no expansion for this year. He didn't say expansion talk died.
05-31-2016 06:49 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-31-2016 06:49 PM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  Oklahoma people love to talk big talk about leaving, but they aren't going to leave for years. Chances are they will stay with Texas until the end of the GOR. Oklahoma hasn't spent any time putting their lawyers to work to file a lawsuit or anything like that.

Football games will be getting played in three months. Then football season passes and the winter comes. Next spring we will be back to the same old stuff for the Big 12 still talking about expansion.

Chip said no expansion for this year. He didn't say expansion talk died.

It was D.O.A. in 2011. And Chip has the worst track record on reporting what will actually happen of any of the Big12 beat writers.
05-31-2016 06:55 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(05-31-2016 06:45 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-31-2016 06:32 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  What about saying they'll be leaving in 2024 and then watch the conference dissolve beneath them, thus negating the need for a GOR?

They can't. The way the GOR is written any announcement of intention to leave is considered a breech and revenue can be withheld.

Thanks for clearing that up. They were very smart to add that clause.
05-31-2016 07:33 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
OU in the SEC makes a ton of sense to me.
05-31-2016 08:01 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(05-31-2016 08:01 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  OU in the SEC makes a ton of sense to me.
I think they're risk adverse. They're too used to dominating.
05-31-2016 08:18 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
It may not be politically impossible for OU to leave the Big12 without OSU, but it's awkward for them to go to a conference without either Texas or OSU ... especially the SEC, since with the Red River Rivalry and Bedlam, they would be playing a tougher OOC schedule than any of their SEC West division rivals.

Add Sooner and Texas A&M fan bases in both Houston and Dallas and that might be a strong enough market complementarity to bring the Pokes in on their coattails. That seems like the Pokes' best long term hope, given that, AFAIU, the PAC-12 has already turned down the OU/OSU pair once already.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2016 08:31 PM by BruceMcF.)
05-31-2016 08:28 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Arkansas and Texas A&M would both be great conference matchups for Oklahoma.

They'd work out RRR and Bedlem non-conf.
06-01-2016 07:34 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(05-31-2016 08:01 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  OU in the SEC makes a ton of sense to me.

Yes, along with either Virginia Tech or North Carolina State.
06-01-2016 08:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
(06-01-2016 08:30 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  

Yes, along with either Virginia Tech or North Carolina State.

How about Oklahoma and Fla St to the SEC?

How about UVA and UNC to B10?
06-01-2016 08:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.