Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

5 Live Streaming Sports Services Every Cord Cutter Must Know About...
Bookmark and Share
GreenSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: Thundering Herd
5 Live Streaming Sports Services Every Cord Cutter Must Know About...
Here are some of the streaming services to keep on your radar if you’re a sports fan who refuses to get on board with cable TV fees.

http://time.com/money/4345395/live-strea...d-cutters/
05-29-2016 07:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Southern Miss Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: 5 Live Streaming Sports Services Every Cord Cutter Must Know About...
(05-29-2016 07:06 AM)GreenSteve Wrote:  Here are some of the streaming services to keep on your radar if you’re a sports fan who refuses to get on board with cable TV fees.

Would love to see C-USA develop a network on YouTube, since cord-cutting is only going to become more of an issue.
05-29-2016 08:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
isidnirb Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(05-29-2016 08:44 AM)Southern Miss Alum Wrote:  
(05-29-2016 07:06 AM)GreenSteve Wrote:  Here are some of the streaming services to keep on your radar if you’re a sports fan who refuses to get on board with cable TV fees.

Would love to see C-USA develop a network on YouTube, since cord-cutting is only going to become more of an issue.

Problem with that is revenue, mainly ad revenue. No national brand would limit themselves advertising on that limited platform. Outside of school fans, no one is stumbling on a YouTube channel to watch a game.
05-29-2016 11:06 AM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(05-29-2016 11:06 AM)isidnirb Wrote:  

Problem with that is revenue, mainly ad revenue. No national brand would limit themselves advertising on that limited platform. Outside of school fans, no one is stumbling on a YouTube channel to watch a game.

YouTube is all about stumbling onto **** and watching it.

If Google ever wanted to get serious about sports streaming, they would definitely draw in casual viewers. I don't see them getting into big time sports streaming though. YouTube thrives on free content that they then monetize. No risk for them. Paying big dollars to stream sports carries more risk.
05-29-2016 11:26 AM
isidnirb Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(05-29-2016 11:26 AM)Niner National Wrote:  

If Google ever wanted to get serious about sports streaming, they would definitely draw in casual viewers. I don't see them getting into big time sports streaming though. YouTube thrives on free content that they then monetize. No risk for them. Paying big dollars to stream sports carries more risk.

Agree but how are CUSA schools going to make money then?

The seperation is getting worse between us vs them
(P5). AAC is in a purgatory, no idea what will happen to us when our time comes. I could see either terrible or just ok. We are the most marketable of the non-P5, but what the hell does that do for us? It'll come down to inventory and what will they need/want. Tallest midget right?
05-29-2016 11:34 AM
Advertisement

EagNBran Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
This title sounds like a Buzzfeed article.
05-29-2016 11:41 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-29-2016 11:34 AM)isidnirb Wrote:  
(05-29-2016 11:26 AM)Niner National Wrote:  

Agree but how are CUSA schools going to make money then?

The seperation is getting worse between us vs them
(P5). AAC is in a purgatory, no idea what will happen to us when our time comes. I could see either terrible or just ok. We are the most marketable of the non-P5, but what the hell does that do for us? It'll come down to inventory and what will they need/want. Tallest midget right?
won't be from tv, that much is certain.

Eventually, the G5 conferences are going to have to reorganize to save money on travel and create more compelling conference matchup that draw ticket sales.

At the very least, I think separating basketball and football from the other sports would save a ton of money. Basketball and football should have their own conference with Olympic sports being in drivable regional conferences. This should be standard whether a G5 conference or a p5 conference. It's ridiculous the millions that are pissed away every year flying sports teams that have little interest and almost no revenue all over the country.

When the time comes for the aac, I imagine they'll see a modest increase in payout unless there are defections or there are some disastrous seasons ahead that kill viewership.
05-29-2016 12:09 PM
Advertisement

BKTopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
Couldn't a C-USA youtube channel conceivably advertise a game in progress on facebook, allowing one to click a link and take them right to the game? Wouldn't that take care of "stumble upon" viewership? Couldn't you get a yahoo sports update on your android device about a streamed game in progress and follow a link to a game? Maybe less likely. Honestly, if I were Mayer and co. I would look into sports streaming, since sports is their second best property, after Alibaba shares. We keep talking about streaming on tv's, but the real money and viewership potential is on your phone, at your daughter's ballet recital when her group is last to go on, it's what you watch on your i pad on your pontoon out on the lake as you burn through a case of beer, it's at the burger joint while you scarf down a double bacon.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2016 03:42 PM by BKTopper.)
05-29-2016 03:37 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-29-2016 03:37 PM)BKTopper Wrote:  Couldn't a C-USA youtube channel conceivably advertise a game in progress on facebook, allowing one to click a link and take them right to the game? Wouldn't that take care of "stumble upon" viewership? Couldn't you get a yahoo sports update on your android device about a streamed game in progress and follow a link to a game? Maybe less likely. Honestly, if I were Mayer and co. I would look into sports streaming, since sports is their second best property, after Alibaba shares. We keep talking about streaming on tv's, but the real money and viewership potential is on your phone, at your daughter's ballet recital when her group is last to go on, it's what you watch on your i pad on your pontoon out on the lake as you burn through a case of beer, it's at the burger joint while you scarf down a double bacon.

Not really. If YouTube was ever to truly get into the sports streaming game, they would be promoting the hell out of it in very visible areas of the site to gain casual viewers to boost the ad impression numbers.

To me, Facebook Live is a far better option for online distribution at some point. It could actively target anyone who has liked your school's page or has graduated from your school.

All of our schools have tens of thousands of un-engaged alums. A live stream of our games on Facebook Live popping right up in their timeline would be a great way to get their eyes on their alma-mater's teams.
05-29-2016 04:01 PM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(05-29-2016 04:01 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(05-29-2016 03:37 PM)BKTopper Wrote:  Couldn't a C-USA youtube channel conceivably advertise a game in progress on facebook, allowing one to click a link and take them right to the game? Wouldn't that take care of "stumble upon" viewership? Couldn't you get a yahoo sports update on your android device about a streamed game in progress and follow a link to a game? Maybe less likely. Honestly, if I were Mayer and co. I would look into sports streaming, since sports is their second best property, after Alibaba shares. We keep talking about streaming on tv's, but the real money and viewership potential is on your phone, at your daughter's ballet recital when her group is last to go on, it's what you watch on your i pad on your pontoon out on the lake as you burn through a case of beer, it's at the burger joint while you scarf down a double bacon.

Not really. If YouTube was ever to truly get into the sports streaming game, they would be promoting the hell out of it in very visible areas of the site to gain casual viewers to boost the ad impression numbers.

To me, Facebook Live is a far better option for online distribution at some point. It could actively target anyone who has liked your school's page or has graduated from your school.

All of our schools have tens of thousands of un-engaged alums. A live stream of our games on Facebook Live popping right up in their timeline would be a great way to get their eyes on their alma-mater's teams.
Yeah that needs to happen

05-30-2016 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.