I Root For: Sparty aka MSU
Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017
05-27-2016 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

SeaBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan
RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017
I haven't read Bennet's stuff in a while.

Seems to me the article has a negative tone to it. "Get ready for another Big Ten game in a baseball stadium"? Um, Yankee Stadium isn't your average baseball stadium.
05-27-2016 09:35 PM
megadrone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rutgers
(05-27-2016 09:35 PM)SeaBlue Wrote:  I haven't read Bennet's stuff in a while.

Seems to me the article has a negative tone to it. "Get ready for another Big Ten game in a baseball stadium"? Um, Yankee Stadium isn't your average baseball stadium.

No but the sight lines are horrible for football. We've played twice in the Pinstripe bowl and one other game (Army home game) at Yankee Stadium; I wouldn't go. The stadium was build for baseball; football is horrible there.

The capacity for both Yankee and HPSS are about the same; so the Steinbrenners must be paying us an awful lot of money for this.

Overpriced concessions, overpriced parking, have to battle the Cross-Bronx Expwy, no tailgating, need I say more?
05-27-2016 09:48 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
There still feels like something special about Yankee Stadium even if it was rebuilt. I am sure there are better venues from a football presective, but from a personal one, I'm probably more inclined to turn it on over other potential games with it being in Yankee Stadium.
05-28-2016 11:09 AM

General Mike Offline
1st String

Don't like it.

If you want to play a conference game at Yankee Stadium, a) do it the year you have 5 conference home games, b) do it against someone from the other division. Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota.
05-29-2016 05:32 PM
Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
(05-29-2016 05:32 PM)General Mike Wrote:  Don't like it.

If you want to play a conference game at Yankee Stadium, a) do it the year you have 5 conference home games, b) do it against someone from the other division. Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota.

Total crap move
05-29-2016 06:37 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I don't hate it. Maybe the Big Ten can have a "Big Ten takes over New York" thing where they have the first conference game of the year, say week 2 (and the only conference game that week), as a must-see game in New York City. Switch out the schools playing yearly so everyone gets a turn. Use Penn State, Rutgers, etc. to bring the crowds against schools with less pull in the area like (as I imagine it) Iowa, Northwestern, etc.

As for Rutgers and Maryland, I think it is a good idea, and potentially a great one. These two came into the conference at the same time and are the two closest geographically to each other with the possible exception of Penn State. This should be a big rivalry for each other and helping facilitate that is a great idea. The stakes are currently not very high for either football team so being creative sure helps. This should excite the fan bases who normally don't have a whole lot to generally get excited about. Think of it as a second bowl game.
05-29-2016 08:14 PM

AntiG Offline
Special Teams

It's a shame the west side stadium never got built. That would have been the proper venue for something like this. Yankee stadium is awful for football.
05-30-2016 10:22 AM
General Mike Offline
1st String

(05-30-2016 10:22 AM)AntiG Wrote:  It's a shame the west side stadium never got built. That would have been the proper venue for something like this. Yankee stadium is awful for football.

I'm surprised they haven;t brought the kickoff classic back to MetLife Stadium. The ACC-SEC have their Chick-Fil-A kickoff games in Atlanta every year, why can't the Big Ten have something similar.
05-30-2016 04:17 PM
Clammy Offline
Water Engineer

(05-29-2016 08:14 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I don't hate it. Maybe the Big Ten can have a "Big Ten takes over New York" thing where they have the first conference game of the year, say week 2 (and the only conference game that week), as a must-see game in New York City. Switch out the schools playing yearly so everyone gets a turn. Use Penn State, Rutgers, etc. to bring the crowds against schools with less pull in the area like (as I imagine it) Iowa, Northwestern, etc.

As for Rutgers and Maryland, I think it is a good idea, and potentially a great one. These two came into the conference at the same time and are the two closest geographically to each other with the possible exception of Penn State. This should be a big rivalry for each other and helping facilitate that is a great idea. The stakes are currently not very high for either football team so being creative sure helps. This should excite the fan bases who normally don't have a whole lot to generally get excited about. Think of it as a second bowl game.

I like that idea much more than a mid-season conference game between two division basement dwellers.

If the B1G could build some hype around an annual game like that, I'd be into it. This RU-Maryland game doesn't make a lot of sense to me, though. Maybe it'll be good for TV. But it sucks for the fans. New Yankee Stadium is a really bad venue for football. I think it's a really bad venue for baseball too. No tailgating, bad sight lines, long bathroom lines, and a really long three-trains ride from NJ to the Bronx don't get me excited about it. I'll almost certainly be there, but I'll be hating it and wishing we were at HPSS instead.
05-30-2016 06:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.