Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The fall of Salon.com
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
The fall of Salon.com
All about manufacturing news, trolling people to get clicks. Not surprising but shameful. Long article

“The low point arrived when my editor G-chatted me with the observation that our traffic figures were lagging that day and ordered me to ‘publish something within the hour,’” Andrew Leonard, who left Salon in 2014, recalled in a post. “Which, translated into my new reality, meant ‘Go troll Twitter for something to get mad about — Uber, or Mark Zuckerberg, or Tea Party Republicans — and then produce a rant about it.’ … I performed my duty, but not without thinking, ‘Is this what 25 years as a dedicated reporter have led to?’ That’s when it dawned on me: I was no longer inventing the future. I was a victim of it. So I quit my job to keep my sanity.”
http://www.politico.com/media/story/2016...com-004551
05-27-2016 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
RE: The fall of Salon.com
but, but, but... fitbutt said it was a reputable news source!
05-27-2016 11:45 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
The sooner folks like Salon and Jezebel/Gawker etc. disappear the better.
05-27-2016 11:46 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Quote:"The low point arrived when my editor G-chatted me with the observation that our traffic figures were lagging that day and ordered me to ‘publish something within the hour,’” Andrew Leonard, who left Salon in 2014, recalled in a post. "Which, translated into my new reality, meant ‘Go troll Twitter for something to get mad about — Uber, or Mark Zuckerberg, or Tea Party Republicans — and then produce a rant about it.’ … I performed my duty, but not without thinking, ‘Is this what 25 years as a dedicated reporter have led to?’ That’s when it dawned on me: I was no longer inventing the future. I was a victim of it. So I quit my job to keep my sanity."

Sure, I don't like the left-nut Salon, but what this reporter describes goes beyond just this one media source. It's the world of journalism now, where clicks and banner ads rule the roost. I feel bad for aspiring journalists who want to be more old-school and just get the story and report it succinctly. No, nowadays it's about ranting, spin and "being" the story.
05-27-2016 12:03 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-27-2016 12:03 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  
Quote:"The low point arrived when my editor G-chatted me with the observation that our traffic figures were lagging that day and ordered me to ‘publish something within the hour,’” Andrew Leonard, who left Salon in 2014, recalled in a post. "Which, translated into my new reality, meant ‘Go troll Twitter for something to get mad about — Uber, or Mark Zuckerberg, or Tea Party Republicans — and then produce a rant about it.’ … I performed my duty, but not without thinking, ‘Is this what 25 years as a dedicated reporter have led to?’ That’s when it dawned on me: I was no longer inventing the future. I was a victim of it. So I quit my job to keep my sanity."
Sure, I don't like the left-nut Salon, but what this reporter describes goes beyond just this one media source. It's the world of journalism now, where clicks and banner ads rule the roost. I feel bad for aspiring journalists who want to be more old-school and just get the story and report it succinctly. No, nowadays it's about ranting, spin and "being" the story.

And damned unfortunate, too.
05-27-2016 12:34 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
Lmao

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
05-27-2016 12:36 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
05-27-2016 12:45 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(05-27-2016 11:46 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The sooner folks like Salon and Jezebel/Gawker etc. disappear the better.

The same could be said for The Daily Caller and World Net Daily.
05-27-2016 01:25 PM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
You can only get away with blatantly lying for so long...
05-27-2016 02:25 PM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS

There's truth to that, but it's more than that. These guys are really talking about funding that website by generating audience.

Left wing, right wing, whatever. Newspapers need circulation, TV stations have to have viewers and websites need clicks to attract advertisers or else you don't pay the bills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/18/busine....html?_r=0

Quote:Online publishers have faced numerous financial challenges in recent years, including automated advertising and ad-blocking tools. But now, there is a realization that something more profound has happened: The transition from an Internet of websites to an Internet of mobile apps and social platforms, and Facebook in particular, is no longer coming — it is here.

It is a systemic change that is leaving many publishers unsure of how they will make money.

“With each turn of the screw, people began to realize, viscerally, that this is what it feels like to not be in control of your destiny,” said Scott Rosenberg, a co-founder of Salon who left the company in 2007.
05-27-2016 03:17 PM
Advertisement

gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(05-27-2016 02:25 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  You can only get away with blatantly lying for so long...

That's certainly my hope.
05-27-2016 03:18 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(05-27-2016 02:25 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  You can only get away with blatantly lying for so long...

And then you become president. 03-lmfao
05-27-2016 03:57 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

you're right......just look at how gannett is cornering the local papers....

woe is the idiot that can barely read, much less my buddy (journo degree) from thee ohio state that has been fuxxore for years now....

and fitshite using this site as promotion only validates the worthless furthering their 'pump out the puppies' propaganda......

what a buncha fk'n morons the internutz are......who'd a thunk it??? thanks Al!
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2016 04:41 AM by stinkfist.)
05-31-2016 04:39 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
The titular head of Salon had been Joan Walsh until she "left" last year. She is such a smug beetch and always has made me laugh with her ridiculous opinions.

I thought that Dick Armey's put down was soooo appropriate: "I'm so glad you can never be my wife."
05-31-2016 07:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.