Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS Dodd: Baylor's existence as a Power Five school should be up for review
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
CBS Dodd: Baylor's existence as a Power Five school should be up for review
From the article:

Baylor was basically nothing in football when it was thrown that lifeline by the Big 12. It continued to be nothing until Briles arrived in 2008. But at what cost?
Those TV contracts saved Baylor in 2010 and 2011 when Fox and ESPN agreed that a 10-team league including the Bears was worth saving. It's hard to believe that would be the same case today.

In fact, Big 12 expansion to places like Cincinnati and UConn suddenly looks a lot more appealing. Their morals have to be a notch or two above Baylor's, at least.
As for the ongoing problem of violence against women, this is not just a Baylor thing; it's everywhere. When are we going to not totally subject ourselves to a football coach's cult of personality? The most powerful of those are allowed to act with impunity.

Eighteen wheelers emblazoned with the school's logo in front of a recruit's house. Satellite camps in Australia. While none of that compares to ignoring sexual assault claims, it does remind of the unadulterated power we've given some of these guys.

Briles will find work again because Bobby Petrino found work again and because Jim Tressel found work again. Incredibly, Ohio State's former coach is the Youngstown State president while serving a five-year show cause order for lying to the NCAA.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footbal...or-review/
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2016 08:00 AM by Maize.)
05-27-2016 08:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
RE: CBS Dodd: Baylor's existence as a Power Five school should be up for review
Jim Tressel and Bobby Petrino didn't cover up rape charges. Their names don't belong in the same sentence as Briles. In fact, the only name that MIGHT be comparable is Paterno.
05-27-2016 08:14 AM
uconnwhaler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: uconn
(05-27-2016 08:14 AM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  Jim Tressel and Bobby Petrino didn't cover up rape charges. Their names don't belong in the same sentence as Briles. In fact, the only name that MIGHT be comparable is Paterno.

Yup. I hate when people try to equivocate. The only other possible comparables are Paterno, and another Baylor coach that tried to cover up murder.
05-27-2016 08:16 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(05-27-2016 08:14 AM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  Jim Tressel and Bobby Petrino didn't cover up rape charges. Their names don't belong in the same sentence as Briles. In fact, the only name that MIGHT be comparable is Paterno.

This

But then again, Dodd wrote that and that's par for the course for him.
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If Penn State skated, so should Baylor.
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

Hell, Petrino might be the biggest scumbag on the planet but even what he did wasn't a violation of NCAA rules in any way! He just hired his side chick (who WAS hot, btw)!
05-27-2016 08:19 AM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Hate to say this, but Cincinnati and UConn are also under investigation on Title IX issues about sexual assaults against women as well.
05-27-2016 08:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

+3 spot on! 04-rock
05-27-2016 08:23 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

There was strong evidence by an ESPN investigative piece that Tressel was involved directly with providing women for recruits very much like the Louisville basketball program, but involving not only paid women but solicited coeds. As usual with large programs the scandal and punishment didn't want to touch issues so sensitive to the public so it became about pay, cars and tattoos.

Now Petrino was guilty of having a fling with a volleyball player young enough to be his daughter. While tasteless in its own right it is not in the same category as Briles.
05-27-2016 08:26 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
Briles = Gary Barnett
05-27-2016 08:35 AM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

(05-27-2016 08:26 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

There was strong evidence by an ESPN investigative piece that Tressel was involved directly with providing women for recruits very much like the Louisville basketball program, but involving not only paid women but solicited coeds. As usual with large programs the scandal and punishment didn't want to touch issues so sensitive to the public so it became about pay, cars and tattoos.

Now Petrino was guilty of having a fling with a volleyball player young enough to be his daughter. While tasteless in its own right it is not in the same category as Briles.

But even soliciting coeds and/or paying for whores is still, at the end of the day, sex among consensual adults. It might be shady, dirty, ect...but it's still consensual. It's not covering up rape and abuse. That's a whole other level than bringing girls around and letting what happens between 'em happen.
05-27-2016 08:38 AM
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(05-27-2016 08:16 AM)uconnwhaler Wrote:  

Yup. I hate when people try to equivocate. The only other possible comparables are Paterno, and another Baylor coach that tried to cover up murder.

This ^^^^^^^

It weakens a case. It's almost like the case can't stand on its own merits and the writer is just trying to bolster it. That is clearly not the case here.
Poor tool by the writer.
05-27-2016 08:38 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU

Paterno situation was much worse imho. A coach and children in that situation. WAY, worse. I mean both are horrible but...
05-27-2016 08:40 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
There is little value in making a comparison between the current Baylor situation and any other school and situation. They are different cases completely. All that does it muddy the water.
05-27-2016 08:43 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
How about Bobby Patrino and the graduate student on his motorbike? He tried to hid that scandal love affair. He was old enough to be that girl's father.
05-27-2016 08:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Could've seen this coming from a mile away.

What?? Another columnist going "I want cheap clicks too! Gimme Gimme!" ?? Shocking.
05-27-2016 08:47 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(05-27-2016 08:23 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  

+3 spot on! 04-rock

The National Meda will always take a shot at Petrino....07-coffee3
05-27-2016 08:48 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(05-27-2016 08:21 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Hate to say this, but Cincinnati and UConn are also under investigation on Title IX issues about sexual assaults against women as well.

Say what?
05-27-2016 08:49 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF

Very much agreed.
05-27-2016 08:56 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(05-27-2016 08:44 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  How about Bobby Patrino and the graduate student on his motorbike? He tried to hid that scandal love affair. He was old enough to be that girl's father.

That doesn't make it rape.
05-27-2016 08:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.