Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If new states were added or created, what impact would it have on college athletics?
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
If new states were added or created, what impact would it have on college athletics?
If Puerto Rico was added and some of the proposed new states like Jefferson were created from scratch, what impact would it have? Obviously the new schools wouldn't be major brand unless split off from large states and featuring schools already in the fray but how would it impact college sports? I'll say, for fun, imagine 10-15 more states coming into existence.

Alternatively, you can envision Canadian schools jumping in.
05-25-2016 12:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GhentFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU YALE MN NDSU
RE: If new states were added or created, what impact would it have on college athletics?
Puerto Rico schools would find a conference for baseball more than likely. Probably independent at first.
Jefferson can't happen. Isn't there a law stating you can't form a state out of more than 1 state? But a state can split.
The area for Jefferson overlaps 2 states.
Now if you were talking about CA breaking up via the 6 state proposal, or TX doing the 5 state route... then you'd probably see a shake up of sorts.
05-25-2016 12:41 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
RE: If new states were added or created, what impact would it have on college athletics?
(05-25-2016 12:41 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  Puerto Rico schools would find a conference for baseball more than likely. Probably independent at first.
Jefferson can't happen. Isn't there a law stating you can't form a state out of more than 1 state? But a state can split.
The area for Jefferson overlaps 2 states.
Now if you were talking about CA breaking up via the 6 state proposal, or TX doing the 5 state route... then you'd probably see a shake up of sorts.

Congress can not subdivide a state unless the State petitions Congress. A recombination would take the petition from the several States involved.

While Texas was admitted with the understanding they could split into five states, I think it would still require Congress. It makes no sense to split a State if the State is cultrually and economically cohesive.

In the west, water rights would be the greatest hurdle after the worry over the parties of the next two Senators.

California would ideally make no more than three smaller States - California with a capital in Sacramento and containing SF. South Californian and North California with a capital in Redding or perhaps Weed. The Idaho Panhandle, the Washington Pallose, and Western Montana to Missoula could be a single State. Splitting Southern culture Florida from Hispanic culture Florida somewhere below Orlando might be doable. To me there are three Texas' not five - East Texas, West Texas, and Hispanic or South Texas
05-25-2016 12:57 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Redding or Weed? What about Eureka? That's actually the state motto (Eureka I have found it).
05-25-2016 01:01 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Thursday, September 1st cannot come soon enough!
05-25-2016 01:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
If we're gonna dance, let's get on the floor and get down:

If the Confederacy reforms, what impact would it have on college athletics?
05-25-2016 01:23 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
University of US Virgin Island have been accepted into the NAIA this year. NCAA D2 already have a couple of PR schools as well.
05-25-2016 02:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dxdtdemon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: OSU, Wright St.
(05-25-2016 02:01 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  University of US Virgin Island have been accepted into the NAIA this year. NCAA D2 already have a couple of PR schools as well.

I thought you were going to add something about once Cuba has more normal diplomatic relations, that because some of their football teams played in bowl games, that they must join the FBS.
05-25-2016 02:57 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(05-25-2016 02:57 PM)dxdtdemon Wrote:  
(05-25-2016 02:01 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  University of US Virgin Island have been accepted into the NAIA this year. NCAA D2 already have a couple of PR schools as well.

I thought you were going to add something about once Cuba has more normal diplomatic relations, that because some of their football teams played in bowl games, that they must join the FBS.

And if the U.S. ever sets up a lunar colony, then their college should be in FBS. I guess CUSA or the AAC since they have schools close to Cape Canaveral.
05-25-2016 03:07 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(05-25-2016 01:23 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  If we're gonna dance, let's get on the floor and get down:

If the Confederacy reforms, what impact would it have on college athletics?

The SEC expels Ky and Mo. The southern half of the ACC and B12 form the Confederate States Conference. The AAC and C-USA follow suit and rebrand as CAC-CSA. The three conferences then leave the NCAA and form their own sanctioning body that has no enforcement powers.
05-25-2016 03:17 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
If new states were added or created, what impact would it have on college ath...
Flagship status and an SEC invite would occur minutes after the state of East Carolina is formed.
05-25-2016 03:49 PM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
It's not the original question, but I think these states should be combined.

Conn and Rhode Island.
Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine
MD, Del, and DC

The following states should be split up

FLORIDA
TEXAS
California
05-25-2016 04:09 PM
GiveEmTheAxe Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Stanford
Would you not split NY?
05-25-2016 04:38 PM
GiveEmTheAxe Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Stanford
http://i.imgur.com/VjHj1ZO.jpg
[Image: VjHj1ZO.jpg]

Here is a map showing the state boundaries redrawn to creates 50 states with equal populations. Maybe we can use it as a guide to approximate the changes we would make as we ponder OP's question.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2016 04:42 PM by GiveEmTheAxe.)
05-25-2016 04:42 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(05-25-2016 04:09 PM)goofus Wrote:  It's not the original question, but I think these states should be combined.

Conn and Rhode Island.
Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine
MD, Del, and DC

The following states should be split up

FLORIDA
TEXAS
California

So could New York 07-coffee3
05-25-2016 04:49 PM
sundodger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bow Down!
I think the affect would be negligible if the splits were amicable. As for PR joining aren't the PR schools already in a D2 as independents? I don't see why that would change just because the island became a state.
05-25-2016 05:42 PM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(05-25-2016 04:42 PM)GiveEmTheAxe Wrote:  http://i.imgur.com/VjHj1ZO.jpg
[Image: VjHj1ZO.jpg]

Here is a map showing the state boundaries redrawn to creates 50 states with equal populations. Maybe we can use it as a guide to approximate the changes we would make as we ponder OP's question.

all new names? ugh I cant !
05-25-2016 08:41 PM
Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
Why not annex Canada and the Bahamas and be done with it?
05-28-2016 03:23 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Why not? They're like states/territories as it is. Jamaica as well.
05-28-2016 04:16 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Does the CDC know what you guys have been exposed to?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
05-28-2016 04:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.