ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memory Lane
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Memory Lane
We often talk about those moments that you remember for a lifetime. Summertime is a good time to revisit those events that shaped your fandom. I'll start with this, and add more as time allows.

05-23-2016 10:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

RE: Memory Lane
ODU v VCU at the SPEW....

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2016 10:48 PM by ODUsmitty.)
05-23-2016 10:48 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

2011 final v VCU. Great Oyster Roast in Chesterfield prior to the game!

05-23-2016 10:52 PM
The Doctor Is In Offline
Special Teams

Thanks, Smitty! I was at each of those beat downs at the Brown Dump and enjoyed beating the lambs on their "home" court. Thanks for sharing.
05-24-2016 05:15 AM
mac Offline
All American

05-24-2016 05:31 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
This isn't an official game video like the others but it best represents one of the best ODU sports games I ever attended. Last game of the year, I lined up outside the Ted at 4am to make sure I was the first one in with my friends (I had the first scanned ticket), We won the CAA regular season title, and we all knew that we were going to run through the CAA Tournament and make it to the NCAAs. I had a headache and no voice for a few days because of how loud I was yelling the entire game. When I think back to my college days, things like this are what I remember the most!

05-24-2016 06:24 AM
Advertisement

odu09 Offline
Heisman

In regards to that white out VCU game, what are the odds our "O....D....U... Fck em up Fck em up O-D-U" chant makes a comeback?
05-24-2016 06:57 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Loughton to Hunter home run pass (1:50).

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2016 07:09 AM by EverRespect.)
05-24-2016 07:08 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

Memory Lane
(05-24-2016 06:57 AM)odu09 Wrote:  In regards to that white out VCU game, what are the odds our "O....D....U... Fck em up Fck em up O-D-U" chant makes a comeback?

Unfortunately I don't think so. When student numbers were down no one passed it on to the next generation of students. Even when we had good crowds the last few years they didn't do it and resorted to the old "O... You suck! D... you suck! U... You suck!" Which kinda sounds like they're saying it to themselves.... We need some more f*ck em up in our lives!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-24-2016 07:39 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

Gotta include this one. Full game.

05-24-2016 08:00 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

... and this one.

05-24-2016 08:01 AM
Advertisement

odu09 Offline
Heisman

(05-24-2016 07:39 AM)MonGNARch Wrote:  
(05-24-2016 06:57 AM)odu09 Wrote:  In regards to that white out VCU game, what are the odds our "O....D....U... Fck em up Fck em up O-D-U" chant makes a comeback?

Unfortunately I don't think so. When student numbers were down no one passed it on to the next generation of students. Even when we had good crowds the last few years they didn't do it and resorted to the old "O... You suck! D... you suck! U... You suck!" Which kinda sounds like they're saying it to themselves.... We need some more f*ck em up in our lives!

Maybe in the first game of next season vs JMU we get 10 or so loud ones of us to be in the back row of the student section and let it rip. Not sure how else it can get passed on.
05-24-2016 08:02 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

Here is another one I will never forget... One of the best ODU Football games I ever attended! And I was at every single home game for the first 6 years of it's existence!

05-24-2016 08:06 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

(05-24-2016 08:02 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(05-24-2016 07:39 AM)MonGNARch Wrote:  

Maybe in the first game of next season vs JMU we get 10 or so loud ones of us to be in the back row of the student section and let it rip. Not sure how else it can get passed on.

That or the front! Hopefully there's a new Front Row Crew that is willing to carry the torch for the FRC's of the past. I know a few on this board don't like the chant but as a student it was one of my favorites. When I became a cheerleader I was upset that I couldn't chant it anymore lol
05-24-2016 08:09 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Never understood the need to be vulgar in our chants. Have fun, be rowdy, but "rip em up, tear em up O D U" works just as well, sounds the same and doesn't offend 75% of your fellow Monarch fans who would like to be able to bring their kids to the games. Thats why the school stopped the band from playing the song. Im glad the current students dont use the vulgar chant, because we get to hear the band play the song again and it certainly fires up the crowd.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2016 08:28 AM by monarx.)
05-24-2016 08:28 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

(05-24-2016 08:28 AM)monarx Wrote:  Never understood the need to be vulgar in our chants. Have fun, be rowdy, but "rip em up, tear em up O D U" works just as well, sounds the same and doesn't offend 75% of your fellow Monarch fans who would like to be able to bring their kids to the games. Thats why the school stopped the band from playing the song. Im glad the current students dont use the vulgar chant, because we get to hear the band play the song again and it certainly fires up the crowd.

Fair point - I'd take "rip em up tear em up" over "Lets....go..." anyday. Point is we just need to get the student section back into it. It's pretty sad to look over there and see 80% of the kids looking at their phones when we are down 5 with 5 min to go.
05-24-2016 09:01 AM
Advertisement

ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(05-24-2016 08:06 AM)MonGNARch Wrote:  Here is another one I will never forget... One of the best ODU Football games I ever attended! And I was at every single home game for the first 6 years of it's existence!

always one of my favorites, b/c I was in the blue room to start the game and the catch happened right in front of me and I saw the ball fly right into the WR hands. it was f'ing sweet!
05-24-2016 09:08 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

Memory Lane
(05-24-2016 09:01 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(05-24-2016 08:28 AM)monarx Wrote:  Never understood the need to be vulgar in our chants. Have fun, be rowdy, but "rip em up, tear em up O D U" works just as well, sounds the same and doesn't offend 75% of your fellow Monarch fans who would like to be able to bring their kids to the games. Thats why the school stopped the band from playing the song. Im glad the current students dont use the vulgar chant, because we get to hear the band play the song again and it certainly fires up the crowd.

Fair point - I'd take "rip em up tear em up" over "Lets....go..." anyday. Point is we just need to get the student section back into it. It's pretty sad to look over there and see 80% of the kids looking at their phones when we are down 5 with 5 min to go.

When I was cheering I was on a committee with Dr. Chandler and other students to try to form a new Monarch Maniacs, and I talked some ideas with my cheer coach before our meeting and she suggested "rough 'em up rough 'em up ODU" because she didn't like how you could hear the F word in the breaks between "let's go" and I kinda liked it because that meant the students could kinda get away with it... But we never brought it up during the meetings and we never got new signs... So "let's go ODU" it stayed

05-24-2016 09:13 AM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

A great moment was during the ODU vs NS playoff game when near the end of the fourth quarter all the fans were chanting DE MAR CO! Wilder pulled TH out for the last series to put DeMarco into the game for his last series as an ODU QB. The ovation from the fans was awesome. The NSU fans, when I explained how DeMarco had been our QB but was injured, cheered when he came onto the field.
05-24-2016 10:15 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-24-2016 10:15 AM)FTW ODU Wrote:  A great moment was during the ODU vs NS playoff game when near the end of the fourth quarter all the fans were chanting DE MAR CO! Wilder pulled TH out for the last series to put DeMarco into the game for his last series as an ODU QB. The ovation from the fans was awesome. The NSU fans, when I explained how DeMarco had been our QB but was injured, cheered when he came onto the field.

That was truly a great moment. I had goosebumps for that one.
05-24-2016 11:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.