Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Well, Houston's out
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Well, Houston's out
The Chairman of the Board of Regents takes his case to the press.

And insults the Big 12/UT manhood.

While he makes some valid points, on balance there is no other way to interpret this than sheer desperation.

"I'm kind of disappointed it's not even an automatic -- that they're even considering other schools," said Fertitta, chairman of the Landry's restaurant corporation. "Houston's come a long way."

"Do you think ... Texas fans are going to get excited about playing ... Connecticut or Cincinnati," Fertitta asked, "or are you going to get more excited about playing Houston?"

"When it comes to eyeballs, all you have to do is look at what we did at the end of the year," Fertitta said. "What I don't like -- and I'm concerned about -- as a Houstonian is that the SEC is starting to own Houston. ... There's more talk about the SEC than there is the Big 12."

"I just don't understand the Big 12 not wanting to own Houston, Texas, which is soon to be the third-largest populous in the United States. To me, it's a no-brainer. I'm just kind of disappointed and shocked it's not an automatic."

"That's kind of disappointing that Texas with their big budget fears the University of Houston," Fertitta said. "For other schools in the Big 12 to keep them out because they're scared of them, men need to be men."

"I think this goes back to when we were in the Southwest Conference and we won," Fertitta said. "Our basketball teams won and our football teams won. That's where it all comes from."

"I've never feared competition. It's disappointing schools in the Big 12 fear competition."

"If you want to keep us out, keep us out," Fertitta said. "Don't keep us out because you're scared to compete."
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2016 01:00 PM by CougarRed.)
05-20-2016 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
RE: Well, Houston's out
A University of Texas source said today that he only gives the probability of expansion happening at 15%.
05-20-2016 12:59 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Houston makes a great case.

A lot of schools can make a great case.

It's a shame that collegiate athletics has come to this, really.
05-20-2016 01:02 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Many may argue against using the press to advance agendas regarding realignment, but, at the very least, you are promoting your school and all that it brings to potential students that may apply to it. Quite frankly, schools, regardless of conference affiliation, should be promoting their schools as much as they can - showing why there are a fit for students, faculty, administration, etc. It can only help with awareness and branding.
05-20-2016 01:03 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-20-2016 12:59 PM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  A University of Texas source said today that he only gives the probability of expansion happening at 15%.

For UH, it looks like the Big12 putting expansion on indefinite hold would be the best outcome. Otherwise, not only does Houston not move up, they are also left behind in the significantly weaker smoldering hulk of what had been a promising conference (especially if the Big12 takes 4 to jump start their conference network).
05-20-2016 01:16 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
I think this is also a hidden agenda not just to the whole Big 12, but to the other P5 conferences who are also in fear of competition. Who can make the same cases these days that they belong in the elites?

Houston
UCF
USF
Memphis
UConn
East Carolina
Tulsa
Marshall
Western Kentucky
Old Dominion
Middle Tennessee State
Southern Mississippi
UTEP
Northern Illinois
Toledo
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Bowling Green
Ohio U.
Boise State
Colorado State
San Diego State
Hawaii
Fresno State
UNR
UNLV
New Mexico
Utah State
Arkansas State
La.-Lafayette
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Eastern Washington
Portland State
Sacramento State
Northern Arizona
Montana
Montana State
Delaware
Villanova
New Hampshire
Maine
Stony Brook
James Madison
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Illinois State
Indiana State
Youngstown State
Jacksonville State
Eastern Illinois
Fordham
Towson
Central Arkansas
McNeese State
Chattanooga
Furman
Florida A&M
05-20-2016 01:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
(05-20-2016 12:54 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  The Chairman of the Board of Regents takes his case to the press.

While he makes some valid points, on balance there is no other way to interpret this than sheer desperation.

"I'm kind of disappointed it's not even an automatic -- that they're even considering other schools," said Fertitta, chairman of the Landry's restaurant corporation. "Houston's come a long way."

"Do you think ... Texas fans are going to get excited about playing ... Connecticut or Cincinnati," Fertitta asked, "or are you going to get more excited about playing Houston?"

"When it comes to eyeballs, all you have to do is look at what we did at the end of the year," Fertitta said. "What I don't like -- and I'm concerned about -- as a Houstonian is that the SEC is starting to own Houston. ... There's more talk about the SEC than there is the Big 12."

"I just don't understand the Big 12 not wanting to own Houston, Texas, which is soon to be the third-largest populous in the United States. To me, it's a no-brainer. I'm just kind of disappointed and shocked it's not an automatic."

"That's kind of disappointing that Texas with their big budget fears the University of Houston," Fertitta said. "For other schools in the Big 12 to keep them out because they're scared of them, men need to be men."

"I think this goes back to when we were in the Southwest Conference and we won," Fertitta said. "Our basketball teams won and our football teams won. That's where it all comes from."

"I've never feared competition. It's disappointing schools in the Big 12 fear competition."

"If you want to keep us out, keep us out," Fertitta said. "Don't keep us out because you're scared to compete."

Hey, Fertitta, maybe Houston should be more excited to play Connecticut next time <scoreboard!>:

[Image: evc_NCF_20151121_Houston_vs_Connecticut_...47a9b7.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2016 01:34 PM by UConnHusky.)
05-20-2016 01:29 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(05-20-2016 01:20 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  I think this is also a hidden agenda not just to the whole Big 12, but to the other P5 conferences who are also in fear of competition. Who can make the same cases these days that they belong in the elites?

Houston
UCF
USF
Memphis
UConn
East Carolina
Tulsa
Marshall
Western Kentucky
Old Dominion
Middle Tennessee State
Southern Mississippi
UTEP
Northern Illinois
Toledo
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Bowling Green
Ohio U.
Boise State
Colorado State
San Diego State
Hawaii
Fresno State
UNR
UNLV
New Mexico
Utah State
Arkansas State
La.-Lafayette
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Eastern Washington
Portland State
Sacramento State
Northern Arizona
Montana
Montana State
Delaware
Villanova
New Hampshire
Maine
Stony Brook
James Madison
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Illinois State
Indiana State
Youngstown State
Jacksonville State
Eastern Illinois
Fordham
Towson
Central Arkansas
McNeese State
Chattanooga
Furman
Florida A&M

Schools that are in Bold need to be removed for your list first David.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2016 01:37 PM by ValleyBoy.)
05-20-2016 01:36 PM
bearcatfan1211 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
(05-20-2016 01:36 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  
(05-20-2016 01:20 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  I think this is also a hidden agenda not just to the whole Big 12, but to the other P5 conferences who are also in fear of competition. Who can make the same cases these days that they belong in the elites?

Houston
UCF
USF
Memphis
UConn
East Carolina
Tulsa
Marshall
Western Kentucky
Old Dominion
Middle Tennessee State
Southern Mississippi
UTEP
Northern Illinois
Toledo
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Bowling Green
Ohio U.

Boise State
Colorado State
San Diego State
Hawaii
Fresno State
UNR
UNLV
New Mexico
Utah State
Arkansas State
La.-Lafayette
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern

Eastern Washington
Portland State
Sacramento State
Northern Arizona
Montana
Montana State
Delaware
Villanova
New Hampshire
Maine
Stony Brook
James Madison
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Illinois State
Indiana State
Youngstown State
Jacksonville State
Eastern Illinois
Fordham
Towson
Central Arkansas
McNeese State
Chattanooga
Furman
Florida A&M

FIFY
05-20-2016 01:45 PM
BattleCougarRed_88 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UH
(05-20-2016 01:29 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  
(05-20-2016 12:54 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  The Chairman of the Board of Regents takes his case to the press.

Hey, Fertitta, maybe Houston should be more excited to play Connecticut next time <scoreboard!>:

Congrats, you gave UH their only loss of the season. What happened against Marshall on your bowl game?? Oh yea!! UCoon was showed how irrelevant their program is by losing to another G5 school while Houston went in and won their bowl game against a P5 school.

gtfoh.
05-20-2016 01:59 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(05-20-2016 01:36 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  

Houston
UCF
USF
Memphis
UConn
East Carolina
Tulsa
Marshall
Western Kentucky
Old Dominion
Middle Tennessee State
Southern Mississippi
UTEP
Northern Illinois
Toledo
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Bowling Green
Ohio U.
Boise State
Colorado State
San Diego State
Hawaii
Fresno State
UNR
UNLV
New Mexico
Utah State
Arkansas State
La.-Lafayette
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Eastern Washington
Portland State
Sacramento State
Northern Arizona
Montana
Montana State
Delaware
Villanova
New Hampshire
Maine
Stony Brook
James Madison
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Illinois State
Indiana State
Youngstown State
Jacksonville State
Eastern Illinois
Fordham
Towson
Central Arkansas
McNeese State
Chattanooga
Furman
Florida A&M

I added them because they have beaten P5 schools like California, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Utah, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, TCU, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt, Florida, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Rutgers, Maryland, Boston College, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh. NC State, North Carolina, Etc, Etc.
05-20-2016 02:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(05-20-2016 01:29 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  The Chairman of the Board of Regents Hey, Fertitta, maybe Houston should be more excited to play Connecticut next time <scoreboard!>:

Yeah you got scoreboard no denying that but I am sooo happy that you won your super bowl and lost to Marshall in your bowl while we won the conference and spanked Florida State.....

I guess if you really want to spin it by beating us you are better the Florida State...

Snow Cones for everyone!!!

[Image: snow-cone.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2016 02:31 PM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
05-20-2016 02:31 PM
Eagle78 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BC
I have to say, I do take some issue with the Houston Board Chair and your post as well.

As I have said continuously in these threads, I hate it when someone advocates for their school by putting other schools down. In this case, IMO, I believe the Chair threw a gratuitous, unfair shot at Uconn and Cincinnati. In the case of Uconn, it was additionaly absurd, IMO, as it comes upon the most recent season where Uconn BEAT Houston.

(I am sure that some of the Uconn fans will be surprised that I am defending them here, but, as i have said, I don't like it when gratuitous shots are directed to ANY school. If nothing else I am consistent!)

BTW, your list of Houston's wins against other teams is a bit lame, at least in the case of BC. Yes, Houston beat BC - in 1961. BC came back and beat Houston the next year in 1962, and BC/Doug Flutie again beat Houston in the Cotton Bowl in 1985.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2016 02:36 PM by Eagle78.)
05-20-2016 02:34 PM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
I want Houston in a power conference pretty badly. If I had it my way, I'd substitute you guys for Texas Tech. Maybe the PAC would be interested in you guys??
05-20-2016 02:41 PM
BattleCougarRed_88 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UH
(05-20-2016 02:41 PM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  I want Houston in a power conference pretty badly. If I had it my way, I'd substitute you guys for Texas Tech. Maybe the PAC would be interested in you guys??

That's what I'm hoping for if they see that they (Pac 12) cannot land Texas they take UH with another school.
05-20-2016 03:02 PM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(05-20-2016 02:34 PM)Eagle78 Wrote:  I have to say, I do take some issue with the Houston Board Chair and your post as well.

As I have said continuously in these threads, I hate it when someone advocates for their school by putting other schools down. In this case, IMO, I believe the Chair threw a gratuitous, unfair shot at Uconn and Cincinnati. In the case of Uconn, it was additionaly absurd, IMO, as it comes upon the most recent season where Uconn BEAT Houston.

(I am sure that some of the Uconn fans will be surprised that I am defending them here, but, as i have said, I don't like it when gratuitous shots are directed to ANY school. If nothing else I am consistent!)

BTW, your list of Houston's wins against other teams is a bit lame, at least in the case of BC. Yes, Houston beat BC - in 1961. BC came back and beat Houston the next year in 1962, and BC/Doug Flutie again beat Houston in the Cotton Bowl in 1985.

I pretty sure that was a general list of wins for the teams he listed not a list of Houston wins. We have never played Duke, Kansas State, Iowa State, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Maryland, Virginia....

Nice try at a UH slam.....

You want to have an actual discussion while a limited (due to being in a G5 conference) sample set we are 10-6 versus the P5 since 2008.

I'd say that 8 years is a good indicator of a programs strength. Beating 3 top 25 teams in the process...
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2016 03:15 PM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
05-20-2016 03:13 PM
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-20-2016 03:13 PM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  1. You want to have an actual discussion while a limited (due to being in a G5 conference) sample set we are 10-6 versus the P5 since 2008.

2. I'd say that 8 years is a good indicator of a programs strength. Beating 3 top 25 teams in the process...

1. Technically, I got us 9-5 against the P5 since 2008. Not counting games against Louisville (loss) and Rutgers (win) in 2013 because they were in the American that year. And not counting two losses to BYU which some leagues "count" as P5 competition.

2. We have beaten eight Top 25 teams since 2008. Our record is 8-4 against ranked foes in that span. By "ranked" I mean ranked at the time we kicked off.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2016 03:30 PM by CougarRed.)
05-20-2016 03:30 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(05-20-2016 01:59 PM)BattleCougarRed_88 Wrote:  
(05-20-2016 01:29 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  

Congrats, you gave UH their only loss of the season. What happened against Marshall on your bowl game?? Oh yea!! UCoon was showed how irrelevant their program is by losing to another G5 school while Houston went in and won their bowl game against a P5 school.

gtfoh.

Shows how pathetic Houston is that they couldn't beat an "irrelevant program". 03-lmfao
05-20-2016 03:33 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(05-20-2016 02:31 PM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  
(05-20-2016 01:29 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  The Chairman of the Board of Regents Hey, Fertitta, maybe Houston should be more excited to play Connecticut next time <scoreboard!>:

Yeah you got scoreboard no denying that but I am sooo happy that you won your super bowl and lost to Marshall in your bowl while we won the conference and spanked Florida State.....

I guess if you really want to spin it by beating us you are better the Florida State...

Snow Cones for everyone!!!

[Image: snow-cone.jpg]

Pathetic Houston pathetically trying to denigrate UCONN!! 03-2thumbsup
05-20-2016 03:35 PM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(05-20-2016 03:30 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  
(05-20-2016 03:13 PM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  1. You want to have an actual discussion while a limited (due to being in a G5 conference) sample set we are 10-6 versus the P5 since 2008.

2. I'd say that 8 years is a good indicator of a programs strength. Beating 3 top 25 teams in the process...

1. Technically, I got us 9-5 against the P5 since 2008. Not counting games against Louisville (loss) and Rutgers (win) in 2013 because they were in the American that year. And not counting two losses to BYU which some leagues "count" as P5 competition.

2. We have beaten eight Top 25 teams since 2008. Our record is 8-4 against ranked foes in that span. By "ranked" I mean ranked at the time we kicked off.

P5 is P5 regardless of if we shared a conference at the time. Plus that was top 25 P5 teams not overall.
05-20-2016 03:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.