Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Kentucky transfer Charles Matthews
Bookmark and Share
ntrent23 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
MyBB Kentucky transfer Charles Matthews
Recently Matthews announced his transfer from Kentucky. Just checking to see if anyone knew if we have any interest or where he may be headed. Top 100 player out of high school.
05-20-2016 10:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
RE: Kentucky transfer Charles Matthews
Don't know about interest but intiguing prospect.
05-22-2016 08:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Nice prospect, good shooter. Would like the addition - not sure why he thought to sign with UK. Was never going to be one of the guys there...
05-23-2016 09:20 AM
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
This would be an awesome get. Anyone know if there is interest?
05-23-2016 01:50 PM
Quote this message in a reply
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Can this Dude bust a TREY
05-24-2016 12:45 PM
Advertisement

tigersroll Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(05-24-2016 12:45 PM)memphisike Wrote:  Can this Dude bust a TREY

NO
05-24-2016 02:06 PM
dfwtxtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Well, can he play defense, and block shots?
05-24-2016 02:08 PM
michaelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: The U of M
(05-24-2016 02:08 PM)dfwtxtiger Wrote:  Well, can he play defense, and block shots?

Yes.

Quote: Kentucky basketball freshman Charles Matthews to transfer

By Jerry Tipton

Charles Matthews has decided to transfer, Kentucky announced Wednesday. UK did not put any restrictions on Matthews’ next college choice.

“I believe he is going to be a productive college player who has the ability to play at the next level,” UK Coach John Calipari said in a news release. “I know Charles’ best basketball is ahead of him, and while I’m saddened to see him go, I support his decision and will help in any way I can.”
Kentucky guard Charles Matthews became the fifth player to transfer out during John Calipari’s time at UK. Jonathan Palmer

Matthews was one of only four players to play in all 36 of Kentucky’s games this past season. He averaged 1.7 points and 1.6 rebounds.

“I want to thank the coaches, my teammates and the Big Blue Nation for all their support this season,” Matthews said in a news release. “I gained great experience during my freshman year at Kentucky. This was a difficult decision for me, but at the end of the day, I felt like it was in my best interest to explore other options.”

Matthews was the first player from the high school class of 2015 to commit to Kentucky. Then came such guards as Jamal Murray and Isaiah Briscoe, plus junior-college transfer Mychal Mulder.

If that prepared the ground for the subsequent decision to transfer, Matthews did not betray this feeling.

“It’s great,” Matthews said. “We get to compete, now. I get to train with them.”

Matthews followed such Chicago-area players as DeAndre Liggins, Anthony Davis and Tyler Ulis to UK. He was likened to Liggins as a role player who could provide defense. It was a comparison he embraced.

“I feel I’m a very great defensive player,” Matthews said before this past season began.

That was about the time that Calipari, too, spoke of Matthews as a defensive stopper in the mold of Liggins.

“That’s a pretty good comparison,” the UK coach said, “and DeAndre ended up being a pretty good scorer for us, too. But it took him time.”

While wishing Matthews well, Calipari lamented the loss of a player. But, he added, “transferring is a part of our game.”

Not counting the mass exodus of players in the spring that Calipari replaced Billy Gillispie as UK coach, Matthews is the fifth scholarship player to transfer from Kentucky since 2009. Others to depart in that time are Stacey Poole Jr., Kyle Wiltjer, Ryan Harrow and Darnell Dodson.

Kentucky has added five transfers in that same time. The five are Julius Mays, Twany Beckham, Eloy Vargas, Harrow and Dodson.

The Chicago Tribune published an article Wednesday about the large number of players who transfer. Sportswriter Teddy Greenstein cited ESPN.com’s current transfer list that has almost 1,000 names. The story also said that the NCAA estimates that two in five players are leaving before the end of their sophomore years.
05-24-2016 02:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Word on the street is the Dude going to DePaul
05-30-2016 06:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.