Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Automatic Voter Registration
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Oregon’s AVR program is a major step forward in modernizing the secure registration of eligible citizens through so-called one touch interactions at government agencies. The 1993 National Voter Registration Act, or NVRA—often referred to as the Motor Voter Act—already requires Department of Motor Vehicles, or DMV, offices and other state agencies to offer clients voter registration services during their transactions with the agency. Nationally, the NVRA has helped millions of Americans register to vote every year, but its impact has been “hampered by lackluster compliance and implementation,” according to some voting rights advocates. The Oregon DMV was generating approximately three voter registration applications for every 10 driver licensing transactions under NVRA. Now, with Oregon’s new AVR program, 100 percent of qualifying licensing transactions generate voter registration applications for eligible citizens who are not yet registered to vote or who need to update their voter registrations. It is time for the rest of the country to follow suit and adopt Oregon’s model of Automatic Voter Registration nationwide.

Link
05-16-2016 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dragonlair2.0 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB
Don't know how I feel about. Need more research
05-16-2016 01:16 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Automatic Voter Registration
no complaint from me.

devil in the details of course, but if you have a valid drivers license... something with your address on it (where there is a penalty/fine for failing to update it) then I'd be happy to do away with voter registration as a stand-alone entirely. If your ID says you live in the district, you can vote. That's really the only purpose of registration that I can see, which is rendered moot if you don't have to prove you ARE the person who lives at that address.
05-16-2016 02:28 PM
Greenroom Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
IF its ok to use a DL or state ID as ID to vote.. why not be able to have auto registration with it? Wonder which side will have an issue with this. because some one will!
05-16-2016 02:31 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
This is something I've been calling for since they started the voter I.D. stuff.
05-16-2016 02:42 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
No
05-16-2016 02:44 PM
Advertisement

Greenroom Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
I don't understand why we cannot vote online. You really want the people to have a say, then put it online. But it is not going to happen in my life time.. since both RNC and DNC cannot keep putting additional restrictions if it is easy to vote online.
File Taxes ok
Vote no way in Hell
05-16-2016 02:46 PM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(05-16-2016 02:44 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  No

I'm inclined to go this direction and I'm not 100 percent sure why I feel that way, but it just seems like a cheapening of the franchise.

In Georgia you can register to vote when you get a driver's license or sign up for an ID card, but they don't sign you up.
05-16-2016 02:56 PM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
I'd be OK with it as long as the program was expanded to include automatic registration for anyone undergoing a background check when purchasing a firearm.
05-16-2016 06:01 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2016 02:56 PM)gsu95 Wrote:  

I'm inclined to go this direction and I'm not 100 percent sure why I feel that way, but it just seems like a cheapening of the franchise.

In Georgia you can register to vote when you get a driver's license or sign up for an ID card, but they don't sign you up.

This borders on government mandate to me. I don't like that.
05-16-2016 08:36 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
While they're at it, why not put a photo on the voter registration card? They're already capturing a photo with the DL. Then you have a photo ID to use to vote.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2016 08:44 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
05-16-2016 08:42 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Voting is right. With that right comes a level of personal responsibility. I have no problem with making it very accessible to register to vote...but...NO YOU must register yourself. YOU must show some level of "give a schit" in this process.

What if I object to being registered an object to voting on moral principle? No level of force should be used in this process IMO.
05-16-2016 08:43 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(05-16-2016 08:42 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  ?While they're at it, why not put a photo on the voter registration card? They're already capturing a photo with the DL. Then you have a photo ID to use to vote.

I have no problem with your DL being a dual purpose document. I just think YOU should be the one responsible for registering. If you are so damn lazy and unmotivated to register to vote?...Your sorry ass needs to stay at home on election day. You most likely have no damn clue what is going on.
05-16-2016 08:45 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-16-2016 08:45 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  If you are so damn lazy and unmotivated to register to vote?...Your sorry ass needs to stay at home on election day. You most likely have no damn clue what is going on.

Lazy, unmotivated, clueless ... Isn't that the democrats' favorite voting demographic?
05-16-2016 08:48 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
No! Make them work (or pay) to vote!
05-16-2016 08:59 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(05-16-2016 02:46 PM)Greenroom Wrote:  I don't understand why we cannot vote online. You really want the people to have a say, then put it online. But it is not going to happen in my life time.. since both RNC and DNC cannot keep putting additional restrictions if it is easy to vote online.
File Taxes ok
Vote no way in Hell

anyone can file 'your' taxes. Only YOU can cast your vote. If we ever get to some sort of biometric identification, you'll be able to vote online... but what we can't have is some dude at the nursing home controlling 100 votes for some local issue that directly benefits that nursing home... or the CEO of the corporation that runs the home controlling tens of thousands of them.

(05-16-2016 08:42 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  While they're at it, why not put a photo on the voter registration card? They're already capturing a photo with the DL. Then you have a photo ID to use to vote.

Sure, but again, why bother? The only issue I see is for caucuses (declaring yourself for a party) which I am not a huge fan of anyway.

You have a state issued ID or DL and you can vote in the precinct where your ID says you live. Like your license, there could be a meaningful fine ($100 or more) for failing to register a change of address. Few people would be caught at that, but I'm okay with that. Conspiracies would get caught (100 IDs being sent to one address)... and at least they'd only be able to vote in one place, at one time.

The only people who would need to register would be people without such an ID, but perhaps one without an address, like a passport... and when they register, they essentially get a state ID like you're describing.

SOME have said that registering also screens for felonies, but you could register a year before an election, be convicted the next day and not be eligible to vote. THAT screen should be done as of some sort of deadline... like 30 days before or eventually, the day OF an election.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2016 11:25 AM by Hambone10.)
05-17-2016 11:24 AM
Advertisement

gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(05-16-2016 08:36 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Yep, it does smack a little of a mandate. What if someone wants to opt out of the process? I know some who say they don't want to vote because in their minds it doesn't matter and their vote won't change anything. They say the process is rigged, a fraud, etc.

Hell, after some of what I've seen on Dems side this year I'm not sure they're all that wrong.
05-17-2016 12:38 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Auto-registration is fine as long as you have matching voter ID at the polls. I'm fine with same day even if you have confirmed identity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
05-17-2016 12:48 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2016 12:38 PM)gsu95 Wrote:  
(05-16-2016 08:36 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Yep, it does smack a little of a mandate. What if someone wants to opt out of the process? I know some who say they don't want to vote because in their minds it doesn't matter and their vote won't change anything. They say the process is rigged, a fraud, etc.

Hell, after some of what I've seen on Dems side this year I'm not sure they're all that wrong.

Yup, and I know plenty of folks that sure don't want to end up on jury duty rolls.
05-17-2016 12:49 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(05-16-2016 02:46 PM)Greenroom Wrote:  I don't understand why we cannot vote online. You really want the people to have a say, then put it online. But it is not going to happen in my life time.. since both RNC and DNC cannot keep putting additional restrictions if it is easy to vote online.
File Taxes ok
Vote no way in Hell

You'd disenfranchise older Americans. They hate The Internet! 03-lmfao

Also, same issues as current voter fraud. No visual confirmation that the "voter" is the person they claim to be.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2016 01:19 PM by 49RFootballNow.)
05-17-2016 01:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.