Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ULM will NOT be moving down to FCS
Bookmark and Share
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
ULM will NOT be moving down to FCS
A great read and a great testament to the fantastic leadership at ULM...

LINK

"... ULM and Idaho have a few things in common when it comes to football. In addition to card-carrying membership in the Sun Belt, the two schools were once national championship contenders at the FCS level, but that’s where the similarities end.

ULM will not be making a similar institutional move back to FCS as long as President Nick Bruno is in office.

“I feel we’re where we need to be,” Bruno said. “The Sun Belt is a good fit for us and there are things external to us in Louisiana that could affect us in one fell swoop, but I don’t see that happening, and I’m committed to staying in FBS.” ...
05-15-2016 02:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
RE: ULM will NOT be moving down to FCS
Didn't think there was an issue here. Other than a few a few message-board posters, hadn't even heard of this as an option.
05-15-2016 02:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
warhawk1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ULM
Warhawks (Indians) didn't just flirt with a national championship we were 1987 National Champions
05-15-2016 03:15 PM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-15-2016 02:44 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Didn't think there was an issue here. Other than a few a few message-board posters, hadn't even heard of this as an option.

Agreed, FoUTA. The reason I shared the article was more for the extraordinary leadership and their vision for ULM's (probably) bright future around the corner, which was very interesting, at least to myself. A great testament on how to plan for big boy football on a shoestring and the proper mindset needed to get there.
05-15-2016 03:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
Of course ULM isn't going FCS. Only Idaho is that dumb, and even with Idaho it took an absolute perfect storm. If you have an FBS ticket and a conference to play in dropping down makes zero sense whatsoever -- FCS is expensive too.

Other than this October 8th I wish ULM all the FBS success in the world.
05-15-2016 03:33 PM
Redwolves06 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-15-2016 03:15 PM)warhawk1 Wrote:  Warhawks (Indians) didn't just flirt with a national championship we were 1987 National Champions

But you've had what? One winning season since becoming fbs?
05-15-2016 09:14 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Surprised it warranted addressing.
05-16-2016 07:31 AM
Klak Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
(05-16-2016 07:31 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Surprised it warranted addressing.

The fact that it WAS addressed is concerning to me. Was anybody even talking about ULM moving down?
05-16-2016 09:18 AM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
(05-16-2016 09:18 AM)Klak Wrote:  

The fact that it WAS addressed is concerning to me. Was anybody even talking about ULM moving down?

No, but it an article that has long needed to be addressed. Through all the losing seasons there has always been a small uninformed minority saying we need to drop down. With Idaho actually doing it, this needed to be written to show we aren't interested in doing that and financially it wouldn't save money or make any sense.
05-16-2016 09:24 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Well, it has been discussed about all the financial issues that Louisiana is having, and affects on the universities.

If Idaho was located in the middle of the Sun Belt, they would be a full member of it, and no need to evaluate. Travel in another conference (like the Southland) wouldn't be to much different for them.

Idaho is stuck in one of the hardest to reach areas of the lower 48, with no similar schools that want to play FBS nearby.

I bet if the Idaho Legislature had required home and home series with Boise, and Wazoo had been willing to guarantee the same, Idaho would have stayed FBS. But Idaho couldn't get series with the two closest FBS schools to them.
05-16-2016 01:23 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-16-2016 01:23 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Well, it has been discussed about all the financial issues that Louisiana is having, and affects on the universities.

If Idaho was located in the middle of the Sun Belt, they would be a full member of it, and no need to evaluate. Travel in another conference (like the Southland) wouldn't be to much different for them.

Idaho is stuck in one of the hardest to reach areas of the lower 48, with no similar schools that want to play FBS nearby.

I bet if the Idaho Legislature had required home and home series with Boise, and Wazoo had been willing to guarantee the same, Idaho would have stayed FBS. But Idaho couldn't get series with the two closest FBS schools to them.

Makes you wonder, how did the University of Idaho allow Boise St, a former JUCO, take over that state the way they did. Got to think that does come into play when states like Ga are making budget constraints the way they are.
05-16-2016 01:32 PM
Advertisement

MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(05-16-2016 01:23 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Well, it has been discussed about all the financial issues that Louisiana is having, and affects on the universities.

Sad part is a strong G5 conference could be formed if rules allowed.
NAU is a good example decent sized school in an area that isn't over saturated with good academics.
Portland St ,Sacramento St and EWU could be good FBS markets.
Add to that the flagship schools that are at the top of FCS.
SDSU,NDSU and the Montana schools

Why would ULM drop their in a conference already.
U Mass or NMSU maybe if future realignment doesn't help them.
05-16-2016 01:54 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(05-16-2016 01:32 PM)Usajags Wrote:  

Makes you wonder, how did the University of Idaho allow Boise St, a former JUCO, take over that state the way they did. Got to think that does come into play when states like Ga are making budget constraints the way they are.

Odd mix Idaho has .
Idaho is a well respected for academics and highly criticized in athletics.
Boise state is a G5 power and one of the lowest rated schools in FBS.
The football strength often shines a light on their poor academics.
The state has zero chance of having a P5 program one day.
05-16-2016 02:01 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy

Just my two cents but I feel like ULM's AD only addressed the issue when asked by the reporter. And we all know reporter ask the dumbest questions at different times.
05-16-2016 02:26 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-16-2016 02:26 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  

Just my two cents but I feel like ULM's AD only addressed the issue when asked by the reporter. And we all know reporter ask the dumbest questions at different times.

it'll probably be asked again. ULM with only a $12 - 14 million budget isn't screaming to want to be competitive at the FBS level. With that budget you might as well be FCS where you can be more competitive.
05-16-2016 02:49 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(05-16-2016 02:49 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

it'll probably be asked again. ULM with only a $12 - 14 million budget isn't screaming to want to be competitive at the FBS level. With that budget you might as well be FCS where you can be more competitive.

Yes ULM needs better support to be completive at the FBS level but they would take an even bigger hit to there competiveness to all there sports programs if they moved down to FCS.
Quote:ULM is set to receive a total of $2.6 million in revenue from guarantee games and Sun Belt membership in 2016. The payouts ULM generates from playing at Oklahoma and Auburn next fall total $1.2 million, while the athletic department will receive $400,000 for playing at New Mexico.

The $2.6 million in 2016 revenue accounts for more than 20 percent of ULM’s 2015 athletic budget and made it possible for the Warhawks to schedule a rare home season opener with FCS Southern University next fall.

Along with the rest of the Sun Belt, ULM receives $1 million from conference membership annually — a $750,000 cut from the College Football Playoff, $150,000 from the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament and $100,000 in football television revenue.

“When you look at the financials of it, you give a lot when you drop down. It outweighs the savings, and that’s why it’s not an option.”

Current NCAA rules allows only one FCS win per season to count toward an FBS team’s bowl eligibility, which creates limited demand — and payouts — for FCS opponents.

Wickstrom said dropping from the FBS’s 85 football scholarships to 63 in FCS would cut some costs, but only net a total of $330,000 in savings.

“That’s the reason you don’t drop down. That $1.2 million drops to about $400,000, and you’re not playing New Mexico at all,” Wickstrom said.
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/.../84333026/
05-16-2016 02:59 PM
Advertisement

LatahCounty Offline
1st String

(05-16-2016 01:32 PM)Usajags Wrote:  

It's just embarrassing. We're still light years ahead of them academically, but somehow nobody in our administration over the past 2 decades has been able to grasp how much athletics is helping them close the overall gap between the two schools. And this FCS thing plays right into their hands.

Now I'm getting pissed off all over again. Thanks a lot.
05-16-2016 03:37 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

We could have easily worked something out with Wazzu. Probably could have had our "home" game played in Pullman and doubled the gate. BSU is another story. They won't play us in anything because it's part of their overall strategy and because nobody at Idaho has any balls whatsoever to make it happen.
05-16-2016 03:39 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Money doesn't make you competitive. Good coaching and recruiting does. Was ULM's budget bigger when they beat Alabama or Arkansas, was Alabama's or Arkansa' budget smaller when they lost to ULM???

It's all about being able to evaluate coaches and their ability. That makes a good G5 program.
05-16-2016 08:41 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
(05-16-2016 02:59 PM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  

Yes ULM needs better support to be completive at the FBS level but they would take an even bigger hit to there competiveness to all there sports programs if they moved down to FCS.
Quote:ULM is set to receive a total of $2.6 million in revenue from guarantee games and Sun Belt membership in 2016. The payouts ULM generates from playing at Oklahoma and Auburn next fall total $1.2 million, while the athletic department will receive $400,000 for playing at New Mexico.

The $2.6 million in 2016 revenue accounts for more than 20 percent of ULM’s 2015 athletic budget and made it possible for the Warhawks to schedule a rare home season opener with FCS Southern University next fall.

Along with the rest of the Sun Belt, ULM receives $1 million from conference membership annually — a $750,000 cut from the College Football Playoff, $150,000 from the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament and $100,000 in football television revenue.

“When you look at the financials of it, you give a lot when you drop down. It outweighs the savings, and that’s why it’s not an option.”

Current NCAA rules allows only one FCS win per season to count toward an FBS team’s bowl eligibility, which creates limited demand — and payouts — for FCS opponents.

Wickstrom said dropping from the FBS’s 85 football scholarships to 63 in FCS would cut some costs, but only net a total of $330,000 in savings.

“That’s the reason you don’t drop down. That $1.2 million drops to about $400,000, and you’re not playing New Mexico at all,” Wickstrom said.
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/.../84333026/

Wait, what?? They are receiving a TOTAL of 1.2M for both those P5 games? That is already FCS pay. Something is wrong with that quote. Or their A.D. needs to be fired.01-wingedeagle GS is getting 1.2 (if we sell our allotment of tickets) from Clemson alone.

The quote states that 2.6M is the total for the money games AND conference payouts (CFP money mostly). That's just sad.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2016 08:12 AM by trueeagle98.)
05-17-2016 08:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.