Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Smart meters?
Bookmark and Share
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
Smart meters?
Okay, I need you guys' input. MLGW wants to install a smart meter on my Midtown home.

Yay or nay?

I am not too worried about the radiation risk or whatever, but I'm not too keen on my utility cost rising.
05-12-2016 09:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerNK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Smart meters?
I'm sure there are potential benefits for all parties. My worry is that the smart meters would, some day in the future, give the government the ability to control how much utilities you use. Now I know that is not what they are intended for at this current time. I'm just saying that when it comes to my personal life, I'm for as little government involvement as possible. If I have a choice, I don't want any part of a technology that gives the government the power to control any part of my home.
05-13-2016 05:53 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

Nothing wrong with a smart meter. If you trust your cell phone company to keep track of your data usage, why not MLGW to keep track of your utility usage?

The only reason people have been trying to keep them away is to protect the jobs of meter readers. But that's just denying technological progress.
05-13-2016 06:44 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(05-13-2016 05:53 AM)TigerNK Wrote:  I'm sure there are potential benefits for all parties. My worry is that the smart meters would, some day in the future, give the government the ability to control how much utilities you use. Now I know that is not what they are intended for at this current time. I'm just saying that when it comes to my personal life, I'm for as little government involvement as possible. If I have a choice, I don't want any part of a technology that gives the government the power to control any part of my home.

Memphis just happens to have a public utility. A smart meter counts; it doesn't control. A utility company knows how much usage you have, smart meter or not.
05-13-2016 06:45 AM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
(05-13-2016 06:44 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  Nothing wrong with a smart meter. If you trust your cell phone company to keep track of your data usage, why not MLGW to keep track of your utility usage?

The only reason people have been trying to keep them away is to protect the jobs of meter readers. But that's just denying technological progress.

uh no, the main reason people are trying to keep them away is because it gives even more data for eventually implementing peak-time usage premiums, thus costing customers even more money for utilities.
05-13-2016 08:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(05-13-2016 08:25 AM)MemTigerFan Wrote:  
(05-13-2016 06:44 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  Nothing wrong with a smart meter. If you trust your cell phone company to keep track of your data usage, why not MLGW to keep track of your utility usage?

uh no, the main reason people are trying to keep them away is because it gives even more data for eventually implementing peak-time usage premiums, thus costing customers even more money for utilities.

I don't think the City Council would allow MLGW to do that. MLGW needs CC approval to raise rates. The thing that has kept MLGW from fully putting them in is the affect on hundreds of meter readers.
05-13-2016 09:24 AM
Advertisement

MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
that's possible, but anecdotally I've never heard that argument. The only thing I've heard is people not wanting further intrusion from government into peoples' lives. You're the first I've seen mention anything about the meter reader jobs.
05-13-2016 10:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
A quick search for "home energy monitors" on Amazon Smile* returns several home energy management systems that you can buy. Once you set them up you can monitor your energy usage. And you don't need a smart meter to do it.

*Amazon Smile - Many purchases made on the Smile portal will donate a portion of the proceeds to the charity of your choice. I've selected St. Jude.

Smart Meters tend to be made of cheaper materials and have been suspected of starting fires.

You can google "smart meter fires" and find plenty of information, but here's an article from USA Today:

Fire chiefs call for smart meter probe after blazes

Sure, it's from a year and a half ago. But keep in mind there was not a national roll-out date. Each utility company has rolled out independently. When MLGW started their pilot program we started to see people complain about their smart meter being the cause.

To be fair, we can assume that manufacturers would begin to make their product safer if for no other reason than to reduce their risk of being sued. But I don't know that that is the case. Is it a risk you're willing to take?

Smart meters in and of themselves are not good or bad. They can have very useful, beneficial functions. But they can be used (like any tool) detrimentally.

Europe has been ahead of the US in adopting smart meters/smart grid. And some countries found the cost was too high for the value.

Smart meters are poor value, find 10 EU countries

-- more to come --
05-13-2016 11:04 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
I don't have a dog in this fight, but before I moved out of Memphis this issue was a concern. I researched the issue when it was possible it would affect me, and discovered there are many reasons not to allow a smart meter. However, they have been elucidated well in this thread already, so I won't rehash it.
05-13-2016 11:28 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(05-13-2016 10:15 AM)MemTigerFan Wrote:  that's possible, but anecdotally I've never heard that argument. The only thing I've heard is people not wanting further intrusion from government into peoples' lives. You're the first I've seen mention anything about the meter reader jobs.

Fullilove Holding Smart Meters Meeting
05-13-2016 01:05 PM
muffinman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis State
Well you cant stop utility rates from rising. What it will do, is stop from MLGW estimating your bill on certain months. You should be able to get a more consistent bill, and not one that may fluctuate wildly due to MLGW estimating to high or low.

I don't think the peak demand charge will happen in the resi world. I know MLGW does it for commercial electric services, but doubt that would go over well for resi customers or the city council.

As far as fires go, there has been evidence to support it. But what they dont tell you is that mechanical meters have also caused fires. There is a hundred things in your house more likely to cause a fire.

Any government monitoring or electric control or "throttling" is just hearsay at this point. They already monitor your energy usage. Yes, they can remotely turn off your power, but they wont do it willy-nilly. Right now, if you dont pay your bill, they get a linesmen out there to pull your meter. With a smartmeter, some guy in a control room just turns it off. Load shedding or cutting off certain appliances during peak times is not possible with smart meters.
05-13-2016 01:18 PM
Advertisement

poppaslaw Offline
Social Credit Score - 0

I Root For: CHY-NAH

Donators
I've asked them for one on my Midtown home but they refuse. Well I refuse to keep my gate unlocked and keep my dogs inside on good weather days.
05-15-2016 07:45 AM
fathergoose714 Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis tigers
(05-13-2016 11:28 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  I don't have a dog in this fight, but before I moved out of Memphis this issue was a concern. I researched the issue when it was possible it would affect me, and discovered there are many reasons not to allow a smart meter. However, they have been elucidated well in this thread already, so I won't rehash it.

Nice word usage! lol
05-15-2016 08:52 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(05-15-2016 08:52 AM)fathergoose714 Wrote:  
(05-13-2016 11:28 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  I don't have a dog in this fight, but before I moved out of Memphis this issue was a concern. I researched the issue when it was possible it would affect me, and discovered there are many reasons not to allow a smart meter. However, they have been elucidated well in this thread already, so I won't rehash it.

Nice word usage! lol

Thanks! If you want 91,000 words more, it's coming August 17th.
05-15-2016 10:06 AM
UofMark Offline
Heisman

There's been so much misguided misinformation strategically placed out there that targets the uneducated. Remember Janice Fullilove claimed her utilities went up drastically after she received a smart meter. Then it was proven not to be the case. In fact, her utilities went down. Nothing more than the usual hysteria, paranoia and pure fiction from uneducated people such as herself. As people get more educated on the matter, they'll be more receptive. We can all make our lives miserable if we worry Verizon is watching what we do or Comcast via their box is keeping up with what I watch. I don't have a smartmeter but would welcome one if they start placing them in my neighborhood.
Yes, people are constantly making an issue of the lost jobs. Again this is incorrect. I've heard MLGW President Jerry Collins flat out say no one would lose their jobs. In fact he says it's been nearly impossible to keep adequate staffing at meter reading jobs anyhow because of the constant turnover in that particular job. Also there are still gas and water meters that need to be manually read.
05-15-2016 06:03 PM
SalRivs Offline
Bench Warmer

Smart Meters have been documented to have caused fires and has been documented to have utility rates to rise. Also the company that removes and installs these smart meters are charging a double fee to remove the old meters for one fee, then charge another fee to install a smart meter. Do your research. Alex Jones has talked about smart meters and the trouble they bring to consumers for years. Become educated, then say yay or nay for this plan by MLGW to be able to shut down your utilities with just click of a switch. Another control mechanism by a company that is supposedly owned by the citizens of Memphis.
05-15-2016 09:34 PM
Advertisement

umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(05-13-2016 10:15 AM)MemTigerFan Wrote:  that's possible, but anecdotally I've never heard that argument. The only thing I've heard is people not wanting further intrusion from government into peoples' lives. You're the first I've seen mention anything about the meter reader jobs.

Yeah, the local IBEW union office has been partnering with the anti-smart meters people because switching to smart meters will cut meter reader jobs.
05-16-2016 10:35 AM
Heisman

(05-13-2016 09:24 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  
(05-13-2016 08:25 AM)MemTigerFan Wrote:  

I don't think the City Council would allow MLGW to do that. MLGW needs CC approval to raise rates. The thing that has kept MLGW from fully putting them in is the affect on hundreds of meter readers.

With THIS dirty Council, I wouldn't put ANYTHING past them. They are totally bought by developers and others. And I used to date a meter reader. He worked real hard, but he made mega money, and got off work when he finished his route, which was frequently about 1:00.
05-16-2016 11:57 AM
Heisman

Thanks for all the input, guys! What I have heard is that the smart meters can monitor how much electricity each of your appliances uses and somehow use that to up your bill. I'm not too concerned about any one of the problems mentioned, but as a group, I think I will just pass on this for now.

Thank you!
05-16-2016 12:16 PM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(05-16-2016 12:16 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  Thanks for all the input, guys! What I have heard is that the smart meters can monitor how much electricity each of your appliances uses and somehow use that to up your bill. I'm not too concerned about any one of the problems mentioned, but as a group, I think I will just pass on this for now.

Thank you!

I don't think they can do that unless MLGW is allowed in your home and put some sort of tracker on each applicance. They can track how much power, gas, and water you use and when you use it. They don't know which appliances you have.

As far as the Council, corrupt and/or incompetent or not, raising MLGW rates is one of the most visible things they do and when they do it there is hell to pay from ratepayers. So I wouldn't expect CC to just raise them for the hell of it. They definitely wouldn't do surge pricing; especially since MLGW buys its power from TVA at a set price ahead of time.
05-16-2016 12:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.