Texas/OU
05-12-2016 08:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: Texas/OU
If the PAC-12 (more likely) or B1G (less likely) offer life rafts to OK State/Texas Tech (in addition to Texas and Oklahoma), you could easily see all four schools bolting.

The PAC-12 has the most to gain from such an agreement. It increases their conference geography, gets them into the Central Time Zone, you add to premier, blue-chip, prestigious athletic programs in Texas/Oklahoma, and increases the potential viewers for the PAC-12 network.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2016 08:38 AM by GoldenWarrior11.)
05-12-2016 08:37 AM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
Eventually the day could come when Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12. Not going to happen at anytime in the near future though.

1) Boren has been trying to expand the Big 12 since late 2013. He isn't going to give up on that challenge until the conference has a full vote to accept or deny expansion.

2) They technically can leave without their rights, but without the rights, they will lose money in the short term. And it wouldn't just be a few dollars.
05-12-2016 08:44 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-12-2016 08:44 AM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  Eventually the day could come when Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12. Not going to happen at anytime in the near future though.

1) Boren has been trying to expand the Big 12 since late 2013. He isn't going to give up on that challenge until the conference has a full vote to accept or deny expansion.

2) They technically can leave without their rights, but without the rights, they will lose money in the short term. And it wouldn't just be a few dollars.

Agree. Assuming expansion, CCG and B12N, they are staying together until the current contract is over in 2025 or so, at least.

Nine years is a lifetime in realignment. Might as well say they are staying together, period.
05-12-2016 09:05 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
Texas is not looking to leave the Big 12 they have never stated they are and they are not the ones causing an issue with the Big 12 now

people writing that Texas is looking to leave the Big 12 now are just ignorant of reality and trying to make this into another "Texas" issue when the past issues with the Big 12 were not the fault of Texas nor are the current issues
05-12-2016 09:16 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
if TX and OU leave...Cincy, Memphis, UConn, and BYU to the Big 12.

the Big XII would get a lot of money in GOR and exit fees...they would be in a good position to pick off the best G5 teams.

JMHO
05-12-2016 09:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The big 12 has 2-4 extremely valuable spots if nobody leaves. IF texas and OU leave than the big 12 just becomes the AAC, might as well dissolve the AAC and take all their members at that point.
05-12-2016 09:27 AM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
If Texas and Oklahoma leave, Kansas and at least Oklahoma State would likely be moving on elsewhere as well. It wouldn't just be those two that bolted the conference. At that point, is it really worth leaving the American for?
05-12-2016 09:32 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Texas and Oklahoma as a pair to any conference would never require any other so called little brothers to tag along. There is way too much money to be made without Them putting a numbers burden on a new conference if adding 4 schools instead of 2 schools. Texas & Oklahoma to the Pac would even Them out at 14 like the SEC, ACC, B1G. Big 12 then add 6 schools to get to 14 and all P5's at 14. Then You are at 70 schools total for P5. Walla !!!!!
05-12-2016 09:38 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(05-12-2016 09:32 AM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  If Texas and Oklahoma leave, Kansas and at least Oklahoma State would likely be moving on elsewhere as well. It wouldn't just be those two that bolted the conference. At that point, is it really worth leaving the American for?

Yup...Kansas is gone as well....again history could be repeating itself...when Miami & BC left the BIG EAST It was on life support...when Syracuse left fatal...Big XII looking a lot like the BIG EAST with the infighting that is public....becoming a Zombie Conference...
05-12-2016 09:42 AM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I think the bulk of the BigXII would find homes. As I've said before, Oklahoma State and Kansas State may not be FIRST choices, but they're not awful choices either. Baylor has been strong across the board, athletically speaking. Not just in football. The programs I'd be most concerned about are Iowa State, TCU, and Tech.
05-12-2016 09:46 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-12-2016 08:30 AM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-...r-pastures

Dodd is trolling the Big 12 in this article. Oklahoma can't be competitive in the SEC? Troll.
05-12-2016 10:30 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Texas and Oklahoma are butting heads, and it is becoming nastier every minute. I do not see these 2 to go anywhere together to another conference. From the standpoint about which school that causes too much of a headache? Texas is the one that would causes headaches. If they ever join the ACC, PAC 12, Big 10 or SEC? They have to be on equal footings with the other schools. Texas wants to be the top dog on the conference, and wants to bully other schools around.
05-12-2016 05:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
(05-12-2016 05:42 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Texas and Oklahoma are butting heads, and it is becoming nastier every minute. I do not see these 2 to go anywhere together to another conference. From the standpoint about which school that causes too much of a headache? Texas is the one that would causes headaches. If they ever join the ACC, PAC 12, Big 10 or SEC? They have to be on equal footings with the other schools. Texas wants to be the top dog on the conference, and wants to bully other schools around.

More likley Oklahoma and Texas to go together. Texas doesn't want any of this and if Texas says no thanks, then Oklahoma can privately give them a box of chocolates as a thank you for the exit out while they both head out to the same conference.
05-12-2016 05:46 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
GeorgeSchroeder 1h1 hour ago

.@UofOklahoma's David Boren: “We’re a member of the Big 12. We don’t plan on going anywhere…We want to help strengthen this whatever way."
05-12-2016 05:58 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-12-2016 09:46 AM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  I think the bulk of the BigXII would find homes. As I've said before, Oklahoma State and Kansas State may not be FIRST choices, but they're not awful choices either.
Not being awful choices at best gets you on the shortlist as a necessary second school when a conference is getting a compelling expansion. It doesn't mean that both schools are assured a spot.

And the PAC-12 has had a chance at the Oklahoma / Ok State pair as a simple package before, and turned it down.

It seems likely that the number of Oklahoma fans living in DFW makes Oklahoma a stronger add if you also have Texas teams with a strong following in DFW.

(05-12-2016 09:27 AM)bluesox Wrote:  The big 12 has 2-4 extremely valuable spots if nobody leaves. IF texas and OU leave than the big 12 just becomes the AAC, might as well dissolve the AAC and take all their members at that point.
When the BigEast became the AAC, it's prior Big East FB membership was winnowed down to UC, UConn and USF, and at each step in the process they had no difficulty in raiding conferences in their footprint.

Same thing with a hypothetical Big12 losing their biggest drawcards. Sh!t always rolls downhill in conference realignment, and a "gutted" Big12 would still be able to raid the MWC and AAC for the best replacements available.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2016 09:59 PM by BruceMcF.)
05-12-2016 06:50 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
All you need to know about The Big 12's future. Boren has already hinted at this. OU lawyers may have found a loophole in the Big 12 GOR

"If Boren doesn't get what he wants, Oklahoma is going to leave." -@john_shinn
05-12-2016 07:10 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(05-12-2016 07:10 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  All you need to know about The Big 12's future. Boren has already hinted at this. OU lawyers may have found a loophole in the Big 12 GOR

"If Boren doesn't get what he wants, Oklahoma is going to leave." -@john_shinn

cool as soon as he exposes it then the Big 10 can use it to add the teams they really want from the ACC and boren will be left looking like a wall flower again
05-12-2016 08:57 PM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

One day, people will learn that the ACC's not going anywhere...until then, we get to listen to dipshits like Todge here continue to try and predict it's demise. It's cool though, 'cause every time the ACC remains and strengthens itself, and they get butthurt...it's really funny.
05-12-2016 09:09 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
@ChuckCarltonDMN 1m1 minute ago
Oklahoma president David Boren tells reporters that decision on TV network has to come before expansion talk.
05-12-2016 09:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.