Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Columbus Dispatch: UC Could Raise It's Profile in the Big 12
Bookmark and Share
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Columbus Dispatch: UC Could Raise It's Profile in the Big 12
Interesting article from Bob Hunter of the Dispatch (Hunter is a sports columnist ala P-Doc, without all the snark).

https://t.co/ya8En08AXY

05-11-2016 08:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KCat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: Columbus Dispatch: UC Could Raise It's Profile in the Big 12
(05-11-2016 08:31 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Interesting article from Bob Hunter of the Dispatch (Hunter is a sports columnist ala P-Doc, without all the snark).

======================================================

Unlike the local paper,, the Dispatch can write an article about UC without any snide remarks....

05-11-2016 08:41 AM
Bearcats_Forever Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(05-11-2016 08:31 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Interesting article from Bob Hunter of the Dispatch (Hunter is a sports columnist ala P-Doc, without all the snark).

That last line is drool worthy to us UC diehards.
It's the way we've always felt. We KNOW the potential is there.

Out of the blue question, with regards to that column's last sentence…

Say the Big12 votes to expand.
Could that scare the BI6 into doing the unthinkable???
And snatching up UC (and shoring up the BI6's presence in OHIO) before the B12 comes calling?!?!?04-jawdrop

(I don't think do either… but d@mn, it's fun to speculate!)

05-11-2016 08:44 AM
AeroCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
That's my new favorite article.

05-11-2016 08:52 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

Interesting article; thanks for sharing.

Let's hope all the speculation this round is actually valid and this scenario becomes reality. I have no love for OSU but there is no denying their football program is historically elite and is well positioned to remain so. UC in the Big 12 will cause some of their more insecure fans heartburn and I will find that amusing. Especially on some given Saturday when UC is hosting Oklahoma (and Gameday) and OSU is home for Illinois. Wouldn't it will feel good to be rockin' in Nippert witnessing the most important game in the state of Ohio that day?

05-11-2016 09:07 AM
back2vinyl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Bearcats
(05-11-2016 08:44 AM)Bearcats_Forever Wrote:  

And snatching up UC (and shoring up the BI6's presence in OHIO) before the B12 comes calling?!?!?04-jawdrop

It might prompt the B1G to make a bid for Oklahoma and Kansas (with hopes that Texas leaves for the PAC) to sink the B12 as a P5, but no way do they take UC. The whole point is to keep UC out of a P5 conference, especially the B1G

05-11-2016 09:17 AM
Advertisement

Bearcats_Forever Offline
Water Engineer

(05-11-2016 09:17 AM)back2vinyl Wrote:  

It might prompt the B1G to make a bid for Oklahoma and Kansas (with hopes that Texas leaves for the PAC) to sink the B12 as a P5, but no way do they take UC. The whole point is to keep UC out of a P5 conference, especially the B1G

I fully understand your scenario is MUCH more likely…

05-11-2016 09:36 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

The whole point is to keep UC out of the P5? Sounds like tinfoil hat time to me.

05-11-2016 09:37 AM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
(05-11-2016 09:37 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

The whole point is to keep UC out of the P5? Sounds like tinfoil hat time to me.

I don't agree with out of the P5, but I do think OSU would continue to do everything in their power to keep UC out of the B1G.

05-11-2016 09:45 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Delaney is the man behind the curtain pulling the strings, not OSU, If they want Oklahoma and Kansas then
that is what they want, has nothing to do with UC.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2016 10:03 AM by SuperFlyBCat.)
05-11-2016 09:52 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(05-11-2016 09:45 AM)Eastside_J Wrote:  

I don't agree with out of the P5, but I do think OSU would continue to do everything in their power to keep UC out of the B1G.

I don't think OSU, or the Big 10, think UC would be valuable to their conference. They already have the recruiting/tv market. Also, I don't think anybody, including OSU, is trying to keep UC out of a P5 or bring down the B12 just because UC might be invited. OSU and the Big 10 are comfortable in their own shoes, as they should be. OSU might lose a recruit to us here or there but they are unlikely to lose their status as the state football school anytime soon. We are more likely to compete for in state recruits that don't want to go to OSU...and they do exist. I've always said that there's no reason the state of Ohio shouldn't have 2 P5 schools though. There are enough tv sets and interest in college football is high. I just hope we 1) get the invite and 2) the conference doesn't disintegrate due to bull-headed university leaders.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2016 09:59 AM by bearcatdp.)
05-11-2016 09:58 AM
Advertisement

geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
Great piece by Hunter. I've always enjoyed him, and have honestly appreciated the Dispatch's coverage of UC over the years.

05-11-2016 10:16 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(05-11-2016 09:52 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Delaney is the man behind the curtain pulling the strings, not OSU, If they want Oklahoma and Kansas then

I don't know about that. The point in taking Rutgers was primarily to get the New York market, but it also destabilized the Big East - and demoted UC. I think one of the main reasons Nebraska was taken is not just because it's a brand football name, but because it destabilized the B12.

The Big10 treats realignment as a chess game. It's not just about gain, it's also about weakening others.

It's long known that Ohio $tate wants no in-state competition. They've been largely successful at impeding UC's progress.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2016 10:32 AM by BearcatsUC.)
05-11-2016 10:18 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(05-11-2016 09:52 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Delaney is the man behind the curtain pulling the strings, not OSU, If they want Oklahoma and Kansas then

I don't know about that. The point in taking Rutgers was primarily to get the New York market, but it also destabilized the Big East - and demoted UC. I think one of the main reasons Nebraska was taken is not just because it's a brand football name, but because it destabilized the B12.

The Big12 treats realignment as a chess game. It's not just about gain, it's also about weakening others.

It's long known that Ohio $tate wants no in-state competition. They've been largely successful at impeding UC's progress.

05-11-2016 10:19 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(05-11-2016 10:19 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

The Big12 treats realignment as a chess game. It's not just about gain, it's also about weakening others.

The BIG could have cared less about the Big East, they wanted Rutgers for the TV money period. ACC / ESPN certainly teamed up to hammer the Big East. The last thing on the BIG's BTN mind is UC. The BIG and BTN is about gain, if it weakens others so be it. Big 12 is already weakened with the losses of Mizzou, Nebraska, Colorado and A&M. SEC took 2.

OSU does not want UC in the BIG of course but there is zero evidence of them doing anything other than running their mouths.

05-11-2016 10:29 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

More good National Press...

Go to the second clip on the link, Stewart Mandel's podcast discussing Top 4 Big 12 candidates. Mandel has been a national college football and basketball writer for FoxSports (who is the current owner of a large portion of the Big 12 property) for 15.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footbal...lin-051116

05-11-2016 10:30 AM
Advertisement

BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(05-11-2016 10:29 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(05-11-2016 10:19 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

The BIG could have cared less about the Big East, they wanted Rutgers for the TV money period. ACC / ESPN certainly teamed up to hammer the Big East. The last thing on the BIG's BTN mind is UC. The BIG and BTN is about gain, if it weakens others so be it. Big 12 is already weakened with the losses of Mizzou, Nebraska, Colorado and A&M. SEC took 2.

OSU does not want UC in the BIG of course but there is zero evidence of them doing anything other than running their mouths.

I meant to say the BIG treats realignment as a chess game.

I don't think moves are made because of UC, but I do think the BIG makes moves to weaken competition. Gee went on about options other conferences have for replacing teams the BIG 10 takes - remember when he derided Louisville?

05-11-2016 10:35 AM
back2vinyl Offline
Special Teams

I prefer copper foil hats since they are more conductive.

Anyway, what I meant is that any moves by the B1G with regard to UC would not to be to elevate us (e.g., inviting us to the B1G). Rather, assuming we factored into the decision at all, the B1G would want to keep us - and probably a few others - out of a P5. No way does OSU want another P5 in state. How much they would be willing to do to block us is another question.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2016 10:44 AM by back2vinyl.)
05-11-2016 10:44 AM
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

Ohio is second to only New York in population per power 5 institution. I just don't understand why UC isn't a no brainer.

05-11-2016 11:01 AM
crex043 Offline
All American

Re: RE: Columbus Dispatch: UC Could Raise It's Profile in the Big 12

If Oklahoma and Texas can get special attention in the Big XII and have others in their conference scramble to appease their concerns, then O$U can certainly do the same in the Big 10 (and in the Ohio legislature, for that matter).

05-11-2016 12:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.