Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Houston to the ACC?
BattleCougarRed_88 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UH
Exclamation Houston to the ACC?
Morning to everyone!

I'm new at this forum but I wanted to ask everyone on what's their opinion on having the Houston Cougars if the ACC were to expand?

Wouldn't it help create a network by having the #10 market and also get you into Texas recruiting grounds?

Thanks! 04-cheers
05-08-2016 11:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
RE: Houston to the ACC?
(05-08-2016 11:32 AM)BattleCougarRed_88 Wrote:  Morning to everyone!

I'm new at this forum but I wanted to ask everyone on what's their opinion on having the Houston Cougars if the ACC were to expand?

Wouldn't it help create a network by having the #10 market and also get you into Texas recruiting grounds?

Thanks! 04-cheers

I like Houston, but I think the ACC would be trying to get more national brands if we were to expand (Texas, Oklahoma, or Penn St). If it were me I would be okay with Houston if we could get one more team out of it.
05-08-2016 12:59 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

Thanks! 04-cheers

No
05-08-2016 01:33 PM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
I don't think Houston would be a candidate unless the ACC is in the position of having to replace schools.
05-08-2016 01:55 PM
FloridaState1990 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: FSU, UCF
Travel costs, different time zone not unless other schools defect
05-08-2016 02:27 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
Houston is great at ffb right now but can they sustain that level of play once their current coach is gone? Also. not sure about Houston academics. Regarding the Houston market, I don't think the Cougers deliver the market for an ACCN. I think their are many other schools ahead of Houston.
05-08-2016 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
1. Yes, Houston TV market is desirable.
2. Yes, Texas recruiting is desirable.
3. Yes, Houston has good football (I don't know about the academics or other sports much)
4. Attendance is a concern but maybe not a deal-breaker

Agree with above comment that if the ACC were to expand again (especially so far from the current footprint) it would probably have to be a national brand that commands big TV ratings.
05-08-2016 03:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hallcity Online
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(05-08-2016 03:44 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  1. Yes, Houston TV market is desirable.
2. Yes, Texas recruiting is desirable.
3. Yes, Houston has good football (I don't know about the academics or other sports much)
4. Attendance is a concern but maybe not a deal-breaker

Agree with above comment that if the ACC were to expand again (especially so far from the current footprint) it would probably have to be a national brand that commands big TV ratings.

We've got people who can actually contemplate the possibility of adding the University of Houston! The B12 doesn't want them but the ACC should? If you're being serious, adding the University of Texas is virtually inconceivable. Any talk of adding Houston is insane.
05-08-2016 04:16 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange

Thanks! 04-cheers

The Big 12 is your best bet. Curious as to why your first post is on the ACC board?
05-08-2016 06:20 PM
ULdave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Houston has a great program but right now they are simply screwed. The ACC isn't looking at expanding right now unless it involves bringing ND into the fold as a full member. Then if that happens, expect the expansion targets to more like WVU, Maryland, or Penn St.
05-08-2016 06:55 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

Maryland is NOT coming back.
South Carolina is NOT coming back.
Penn State is NOT leaving the Big Ten.

WVU's problem is similar to UConn - like BC covers New England, Pitt covers Western PA (and there is no West Virginia market).
05-08-2016 07:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ULdave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
(05-08-2016 07:02 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Maryland is NOT coming back.
South Carolina is NOT coming back.
Penn State is NOT leaving the Big Ten.

WVU's problem is similar to UConn - like BC covers New England, Pitt covers Western PA (and there is no West Virginia market).
Again, I only see ACC expansion if ND goes full member (which WON'T happen). But if ND were in play I think the ACC would have more to offer those schools then they currently do.
05-08-2016 07:13 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

Well, I guess TCU took a hit on the academics scale...

[Image: Ch4H78qUYAA0YFm.jpg:large]
05-08-2016 07:30 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(05-08-2016 07:30 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Well, I guess TCU took a hit on the academics scale...

[Image: Ch4H78qUYAA0YFm.jpg:large]

I thought that you were going to go a different direction with that post.
05-08-2016 08:10 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
All 15 members in the ACC are in the eastern timezone -- the only major conference to have all its members within the same timezone. I would rather not mess with that.
05-08-2016 08:55 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
I actually think Houston to the B12 (along with CINCY) and UCF/ECU/Memphis/UCONN(any combo of two teams) to the ACC makes more sense
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 09:32 PM by GTFletch.)
05-08-2016 09:30 PM
Advertisement

2nd String

(05-08-2016 06:20 PM)texasorange Wrote:  

Thanks! 04-cheers

The Big 12 is your best bet. Curious as to why your first post is on the ACC board?

Simply out of curiosity and the love of expansion talk. Though I do admit, wanting to know what's everyone's opinion on the Cougars, but mostly to get y'alls input on these points:

A) Looking at the conferences that doesn't have a Texas school to give them access to Texas grounds are the ACC, Pac-12 and the B1G. Wanted to get everyone's input as to what their opinion is about Houston being a candidate for an ACC expansion (if it happens).

B) As long as the Longhorns has a flagpole so far up their ass, UH's chances getting into the Big 12 are slim to none, especially if they don't want a recruiting war between the other four Texas schools.

C) I've seen many comments where Texas goes to the ACC, SEC, Pac12 or B1G. Probable, yes. Happening, I'm not sure on the simple reason that I doubt the Longhorns relinquish their role as a feudal lord and feel equal to any other programs in another conference if the bolt out of the Big12. So based on that, it bars the question that in case Texas is not available four courting, would Houston be a possible candidate?

D) Some of you can give me an input on this, but I'm not sure to what extend the deal the Big 10 is trying to get with Fox Sports will affect the ACC. Would it cause them to expand into a new market and add a network?

Thanks!
05-08-2016 11:14 PM
2nd String

(05-08-2016 09:30 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  I actually think Houston to the B12 (along with CINCY) and UCF/ECU/Memphis/UCONN(any combo of two teams) to the ACC makes more sense

Honestly, I wish UH gets an invite to the Big 12. Realistically, it may not happen due to Texas not wanting to give up the Longhorn Network.

However, I rather have the Cougars join the ACC due to their stability. But that's me.
05-08-2016 11:32 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(05-08-2016 08:55 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  All 15 members in the ACC are in the eastern timezone -- the only major conference to have all its members within the same timezone. I would rather not mess with that.

While Tallahassee, Louisville, and South Bend are are located just inside the westernmost extent of the Eastern Time Zone, I think it's also fair to say that all three have a significant fan base over the line in Chicago, Western Ky, and the Western Florida Panhandle and SE Alabama. What makes a single time zone so great? It doesn't seem to hurt the SEC or B10, or does it?
05-08-2016 11:53 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(05-08-2016 11:53 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 08:55 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  All 15 members in the ACC are in the eastern timezone -- the only major conference to have all its members within the same timezone. I would rather not mess with that.

While Tallahassee, Louisville, and South Bend are are located just inside the westernmost extent of the Eastern Time Zone, I think it's also fair to say that all three have a significant fan base over the line in Chicago, Western Ky, and the Western Florida Panhandle and SE Alabama. What makes a single time zone so great? It doesn't seem to hurt the SEC or B10, or does it?

I will go on record as being against adding Hawaii.
05-09-2016 06:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.