Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fox Sports on Big 12 expansion (Florida Value) Jul 2015*
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
For those whom inquired as to why I said that Florida was worth 80 Mil a year to a conference/network and that USF and UCF could be worth 40 mil each, here's the article.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footbal...ams-070115

"Second, adding South Florida or Central Florida seems like a no brainer because there are twenty million people in the state of Florida. But the question is, could you get full cable or satellite distribution in Florida with either of these two teams? That is, do fans care enough to demand that their cable or satellite service carry the Big 12 network if you add USF or UCF? (Remember, this has been the Pac 12's problem with its network. Fans just don't care enough.)

That's a roll of the dice. In an ideal scenario you'd figure out which team is likely to be better going forward and which team has the most rabid fan base and then you'd pick that team to add to the Big 12. (Remember, two teams in the same state doesn't make sense in a conference network era).

But does either school really move the needle by itself?

The state of Florida is worth roughly $80 million a year if you could get a team fully distributed in the Sunshine State.

Which is why the really interesting play would be adding both schools at once. You get a natural rivalry and double the pressure for cable and satellite companies in the state to carry your network. But if you wanted to maximize revenue, you'd roll the dice on one team."

There is much more in this article as it touches on most of the current named schools. 04-cheers
05-07-2016 06:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
(05-07-2016 06:22 AM)Mestophalies Wrote:  For those whom inquired as to why I said that Florida was worth 80 Mil a year to a conference/network and that USF and UCF could be worth 40 mil each, here's the article.

"Second, adding South Florida or Central Florida seems like a no brainer because there are twenty million people in the state of Florida. But the question is, could you get full cable or satellite distribution in Florida with either of these two teams? That is, do fans care enough to demand that their cable or satellite service carry the Big 12 network if you add USF or UCF? (Remember, this has been the Pac 12's problem with its network. Fans just don't care enough.)

That's a roll of the dice. In an ideal scenario you'd figure out which team is likely to be better going forward and which team has the most rabid fan base and then you'd pick that team to add to the Big 12. (Remember, two teams in the same state doesn't make sense in a conference network era).

The state of Florida is worth roughly $80 million a year if you could get a team fully distributed in the Sunshine State.

Which is why the really interesting play would be adding both schools at once. You get a natural rivalry and double the pressure for cable and satellite companies in the state to carry your network. But if you wanted to maximize revenue, you'd roll the dice on one team."

There is much more in this article as it touches on most of the current named schools. 04-cheers

Good article! +1!
05-07-2016 07:47 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Fox Sports on Big 12 expansion (Florida Value) Jul 2015*
The problem is that the Big12 will not have a network as long as Texas has the LHN.
I do agree that a USF/ UCF addition to the Big12 would be as good an add as any other combination that has been mentioned. All are potentials but won't move the Big12 needle in a short time frame.
If they decide to expand it will be chosen by Texas
05-07-2016 08:21 AM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
That was a great article thanks for sharing
05-07-2016 08:36 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

(05-07-2016 08:21 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  The problem is that the Big12 will not have a network as long as Texas has the LHN.
I do agree that a USF/ UCF addition to the Big12 would be as good an add as any other combination that has been mentioned. All are potentials but won't move the Big12 needle in a short time frame.

If they added 4 couldn't they get away with not having UT content on a new network?
05-07-2016 08:46 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-07-2016 08:46 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 08:21 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  The problem is that the Big12 will not have a network as long as Texas has the LHN.

If they added 4 couldn't they get away with not having UT content on a new network?

They might but it would be difficult for that network to get the state of Texas market without UT plus as the writer stated doubt the Big12 is that pro active. The Big12 reminds me a lot of the Big East with Texas playing the Notre Dame part I just don't see that league lasting for a long period when you have a school that demands and gets special treatment. But of course I would love USF there because it's our only option to be in P5, but you know that WV, Baylor,Texas Tech, Iowa State, TCU, Kansas State know full well that Texas is the ONLY reason they are in P5 and that they better not poke Bevo too hard.
05-07-2016 08:52 AM
Advertisement

Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
Let them go on sleeping on a B12 Florida invasion... But they day AnM joined the SEC it became a whole lot more attractive.
05-07-2016 09:09 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-07-2016 08:46 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  

I think you could. You would actually have the road conf games from Tex as well.
05-07-2016 09:37 AM
Charlie Broadway Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
(05-07-2016 08:52 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  They might but it would be difficult for that network to get the state of Texas market without UT plus as the writer stated doubt the Big12 is that pro active. The Big12 reminds me a lot of the Big East with Texas playing the Notre Dame part I just don't see that league lasting for a long period when you have a school that demands and gets special treatment. But of course I would love USF there because it's our only option to be in P5, but you know that WV, Baylor,Texas Tech, Iowa State, TCU, Kansas State know full well that Texas is the ONLY reason they are in P5 and that they better not poke Bevo too hard.

Quiet as kept it's no lock a big 12 network gets carried throughout Texas. To this day LHN is still unavailable on cable in Houston. The Astros and Rockets partnered up for (imo) the best local sports station this town has ever seen but the majority of Houston was unable to watch and it had to fold.

Nobody in the big 12, including Texas, carries remotely the same appeal in Houston as the Rockets/Astros but according to most internet posters it is a forgone conclusion if a big 12 network gets created it will be carried throughout the footprint with no issue.

To steer this back to the topic of USF/UCF, have there been any carriage issues in your area? I know there's a lot of talk about Uconn bringing NYC and Cincy bringing Ohio but things aren't always as simple in real life. With so many misrepresenting the landscape in Houston I can't help but wonder how much misinformation there is about what all of our schools bring to the table.
05-07-2016 09:46 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Wonder if the B12 is really going to add 4 (incl one or both of USF/UCF)?

This is getting interesting.
05-07-2016 09:48 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
neither ucf/usf or both can deliver the whole state, cincy isn't bringing the entire state of ohio

if the big 12 had that mentality (giving an entire state to a team located in it) theyd have taken louisville over wvu

but i love the mentality that people use..so the big 12 just finished a study that said the ideal number for a conference is 12...so foxsports blogger says they should do 14??

and honestly if people really believed cincy could get all of Ohio, ucf/usf could get all of Florida, Memphis could get all of Tennessee, houston/smu could get all of texas etc
then the AAC would have created our own network a long time ago
05-07-2016 10:06 AM
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/...29,-94.151

It's tough to establish "value" for any of our programs, not just the Florida universities.

This map and related info is from 2014, so it is a bit outdated, however we've got programs in this conference that don't even "own" the most fans in their own city.

I'm not being critical of any fanbase or university because we all have challenges playing in states where power conference dominate fanbases; so none us should be throwing stones. In fact, if it becomes a firestorm, I'll just delete the post.

However, "value" is a tough call; especially when, as a group, it's tough to find many that are the dominate fanbase in their own area.
05-07-2016 10:38 AM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

(05-07-2016 10:06 AM)pesik Wrote:  neither ucf/usf or both can deliver the whole state, cincy isn't bringing the entire state of ohio

if the big 12 had that mentality (giving an entire state to a team located in it) theyd have taken louisville over wvu

but i love the mentality that people use..so the big 12 just finished a study that said the ideal number for a conference is 12...so foxsports blogger says they should do 14??

and honestly if people really believed cincy could get all of Ohio, ucf/usf could get all of Florida, Memphis could get all of Tennessee, houston/smu could get all of texas etc

That's why the population game is so important. Cfb is huge in fl. If there are 5 p5 that matter we pick up lots of crossover fans.
05-07-2016 10:43 AM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

(05-07-2016 10:38 AM)oldtiger Wrote:  http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/...29,-94.151

It's tough to establish "value" for any of our programs, not just the Florida universities.

This map and related info is from 2014, so it is a bit outdated, however we've got programs in this conference that don't even "own" the most fans in their own city.

I'm not being critical of any fanbase or university because we all have challenges playing in states where power conference dominate fanbases; so none us should be throwing stones. In fact, if it becomes a firestorm, I'll just delete the post.

However, "value" is a tough call; especially when, as a group, it's tough to find many that are the dominate fanbase in their own area.

It's all about population density. Florida is the perfect example. Fl and fsu have large geographic footprint but low pop density. Fwiw we were rated higher than Miami the last two years and have been on par for the last 10 years.
05-07-2016 10:49 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-07-2016 06:22 AM)Mestophalies Wrote:  For those whom inquired as to why I said that Florida was worth 80 Mil a year to a conference/network and that USF and UCF could be worth 40 mil each, here's the article.

Although that article is 10 months old, I think it's perhaps the best one out on possible B12 expansion.
05-07-2016 11:32 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-07-2016 10:06 AM)pesik Wrote:  neither ucf/usf or both can deliver the whole state, cincy isn't bringing the entire state of ohio

The media only mentioned the models run for 10 with a CCG, 12 with 8 conference games, and 12 with 9 conference games. The report was that, of those 3, 12 and 8 gave them the best chance at the CFP.

But other media reports said Navigate Research also ran models for 14 with 8 and 9, and 16 with 8 and 9. The Big 12 apparently didn't release the data for those, but any of those could be in the mix, too.

Remember, this is only one piece of the data puzzle, talking about the CCG, the CFP odds, and the scheduling variations.

The Big 12 has yet to hear from Bevilacqua on the conference network iterations, which will add a whole new dynamic to the puzzle. In those scenarios, you can bet that adding more than 2 schools will get a lot of play, assuming they go ahead with a B12N.

It looks to me that adding 2 teams is almost a certainty now, and adding 4 is something the Big 12 is contemplating, again according to several media reports. I don't think 16 is getting any play, but to dismiss 14 at this point is a mistake, IMO.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 11:43 AM by TripleA.)
05-07-2016 11:42 AM
Advertisement

upstater1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(05-07-2016 09:46 AM)Charlie Broadway Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 08:52 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  They might but it would be difficult for that network to get the state of Texas market without UT plus as the writer stated doubt the Big12 is that pro active. The Big12 reminds me a lot of the Big East with Texas playing the Notre Dame part I just don't see that league lasting for a long period when you have a school that demands and gets special treatment. But of course I would love USF there because it's our only option to be in P5, but you know that WV, Baylor,Texas Tech, Iowa State, TCU, Kansas State know full well that Texas is the ONLY reason they are in P5 and that they better not poke Bevo too hard.

Quiet as kept it's no lock a big 12 network gets carried throughout Texas. To this day LHN is still unavailable on cable in Houston. The Astros and Rockets partnered up for (imo) the best local sports station this town has ever seen but the majority of Houston was unable to watch and it had to fold.

Nobody in the big 12, including Texas, carries remotely the same appeal in Houston as the Rockets/Astros but according to most internet posters it is a forgone conclusion if a big 12 network gets created it will be carried throughout the footprint with no issue.

To steer this back to the topic of USF/UCF, have there been any carriage issues in your area? I know there's a lot of talk about Uconn bringing NYC and Cincy bringing Ohio but things aren't always as simple in real life. With so many misrepresenting the landscape in Houston I can't help but wonder how much misinformation there is about what all of our schools bring to the table.

SNY already chargers $2.60+ per month per cable subscriber in Conn. for some tier3 rights. Not all. Just the UConn women. And that channel is on Basic Cable, with 1.3m subscribers.
05-07-2016 12:04 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
17% of Floridians are 65 and older.
20% of Floridians are Latin American immigrants.

I don't think these people are clamoring for a big 12 cable network.
05-07-2016 12:50 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-07-2016 12:50 PM)Chappy Wrote:  17% of Floridians are 65 and older.

LOL. That still leaves 63% and that still more population than many other options. Of course we can all identify groups in each state that might also not want the Big12 channel
05-07-2016 12:57 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(05-07-2016 12:50 PM)Chappy Wrote:  17% of Floridians are 65 and older.

B12 could add UCF and USF and start a successful B12 daily paper.
05-07-2016 01:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.