Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting comments from Larry Scott
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Interesting comments from Larry Scott
Article

Scott pointed out the uncomfortable fact that the SEC and Big Ten have built-in advantages that are difficult to overcome.

"They've got larger fan bases and, as 14-team conferences, cover more states," Scott said. "It's very competitive; a challenging environment. I left today feeling positive we were very aligned with ADs in focusing on what we need to do in the conference office in working with them to stay competitive long-term."

Hmmmm. Are they contemplating expansion to "cover more states" and "stay competitive"?
05-06-2016 09:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Interesting comments from Larry Scott
Yup, confirms the rumors we've all been hearing now. Means Fresno State, Hawaii, Florida International and Stony Brook are all going to the Big XII. Gotta get all those new states.
05-06-2016 09:27 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Interesting indeed.
05-06-2016 09:29 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
If the PAC 12 is going to make another push to get some B12 members, now is the time.
05-06-2016 09:30 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
I guess that rules out taking two schools from one state?
05-06-2016 09:41 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
You've got to wonder what kind of back room deals are taking place right now since the Pac12 was indeed meeting at the Biltmore along with the B12.
05-06-2016 09:44 AM
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

It's also interesting that just a couple of weeks after just half of the new Big 10 TV deal is leaked, you've got Bowlsby and Scott being quoted as saying their leagues need to improve themselves to stay up with the Joneses (SEC and B1G).
05-06-2016 09:48 AM
bluesox Online
Heisman

I Root For:
All the pac 12 has to do is throw out 3 invites in pairs to

Invite 1: KU and Kansas state
Invite 2: OU and Okla state
Invite 3: Texas and Texas tech

Jump to 18 if each combo is willing. Politically its perfect to keep school's together with their instate rival. The money will take care of itself depending on what combo joins.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 09:52 AM by bluesox.)
05-06-2016 09:50 AM
Attackcoog Offline

Hard to see how the Pac-12 Network can significantly increase its profitability without expansion into states with large populations. Most states in the west that have no Pac-12 school only have 1-3 million people in them. Texas is the only western state that can be a significant driver for Pac-12 Network revenues. You have to think getting into Texas one way or another has to be the end game for the Pac12. As the Pac12 falls further and further behind the SEC and Big-10---I woul think the pressure would mount to do a Texas expansion sooner rather than later.
05-06-2016 09:52 AM
H.U.S.T.L.E. Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: VT / JMU
(05-06-2016 09:50 AM)bluesox Wrote:  All the pac 12 has to do is throw out 3 invites in pairs to

Jump to 18 if each combo is willing. Politically its perfect to keep school's together with their instate rival. The money will take care of itself depending on what combo joins.

How would you do divisions then? The math doesn't work with what everyone will want - the original Pac 10 members will want to stick together as they each have a natural rival.

Wash/Wash St
Oregon/ Oregon St
Cal/Stanford
USC/UCLA
Arizona/ Arizona St

So while 18 teams works better for football scheduling (8 conference games within your division, winners play in championship game), I think they might need to hit 20 teams to satisfy all parties.
05-06-2016 10:05 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(05-06-2016 09:50 AM)bluesox Wrote:  All the pac 12 has to do is throw out 3 invites in pairs to

Well not work. Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State are in the less populated parts of their state as is. Adding Oklahoma and Texas could cure that. Hawaii, Boise State, New Mexico and UNR or UNLV brings them into some more new states. Texas thinks they rulle the tvs across this country, and have the Me Me Me complex, and don't give a care about other schools.
05-06-2016 10:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
i think the prior stance was no expansion without UT. I think expansion to 14 with KU/OU is now on the table.
05-06-2016 10:10 AM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
He wants in Texas.

And its big enough to take 2 programs.

Which two?
05-06-2016 10:11 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
why would any of the Big 12 teams want to join the PAC 12 when the Big 12 teams all earn more money in the Big 12 and they do not have to deal with being 2 time zones away

people do not want the PAC12n how hard is that to figure out

the PAC12n has 11 million subscribers in the total USA and more than likely a large portion of those if given the choice would drop the PAC12n in a heart beat

you are not going to add any Big 12 teams and get enough subscribers to make the finances work Texas is absolutely not going to the PAC 12 and what Big 12 team would want to join a league where the choices are make less money and have 2 time zone issues or have to subject your fans to the possibility they MIGHT get the PAC12n IF their cable company decides to carry it or IF their fans switch to dish network and even then they still get the crappy start times

none of it makes any sense and none of it leads to a strong possibility of the PAC12n gaining meaningful subscriber numbers
05-06-2016 10:16 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU

I can't imagine Kansas, Oklahoma, or Texas saying yes to the PAC 12....

Unfortunately for the PAC 12, they are a step down from the SEC and B1G now....
05-06-2016 10:19 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-06-2016 09:52 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Hard to see how the Pac-12 Network can significantly increase its profitability without expansion into states with large populations. Most states in the west that have no Pac-12 school only have 1-3 million people in them. Texas is the only western state that can be a significant driver for Pac-12 Network revenues. You have to think getting into Texas one way or another has to be the end game for the Pac12. As the Pac12 falls further and further behind the SEC and Big-10---I woul think the pressure would mount to do a Texas expansion sooner rather than later.

I agree with this 100%. Even if the Texas legislature might not allow UT to bolt for the P12, they certainly could invite UH and one more, at a minimum. I would say SMU, but not sure the P12 would go for a religious institution of any stripe.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 10:21 AM by TripleA.)
05-06-2016 10:20 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-06-2016 10:16 AM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  why would any of the Big 12 teams want to join the PAC 12 when the Big 12 teams all earn more money in the Big 12 and they do not have to deal with being 2 time zones away

people do not want the PAC12n how hard is that to figure out

the PAC12n has 11 million subscribers in the total USA and more than likely a large portion of those if given the choice would drop the PAC12n in a heart beat

you are not going to add any Big 12 teams and get enough subscribers to make the finances work Texas is absolutely not going to the PAC 12 and what Big 12 team would want to join a league where the choices are make less money and have 2 time zone issues or have to subject your fans to the possibility they MIGHT get the PAC12n IF their cable company decides to carry it or IF their fans switch to dish network and even then they still get the crappy start times

none of it makes any sense and none of it leads to a strong possibility of the PAC12n gaining meaningful subscriber numbers

I agree. That's why I mentioned Houston and SMU night make sense.
05-06-2016 10:23 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
what about UH, north Texas state, UTSA and UTEP......dem markets doh.......it worked so well for the CUSA!
05-06-2016 10:24 AM
bluesox Online
Heisman

I Root For:
I don't think there is any chance OU and KU join the pac 12 without their instate rival or texas joining. Thus, for the pac 12 to get the prime beef, they will need to bring in the sidekick now to counter big 10 or sec offers. The big ? is what would OU and KU do? leave their instate rival or take a pac 12 invite with their instate rival. I think such a move is the pac 12 only option now to bring in name school's. Such a format works with wash-wash state, oreg-oreg state, ariz- ariz state, so i don't see what the big deal is brining in ou/ok state and ku/k state. Than after jumping to 16 they can worry about getting some texas school's. I guess the pac 12 probably will always have the option to bring in 2-4 from texas tech, houston, tcu and smu if they wanted go all out for texas without the u of texas. I don't see baylor being an option...unlv could get a spot instead of smu.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 10:27 AM by bluesox.)
05-06-2016 10:24 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-06-2016 10:24 AM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  what about UH, north Texas state, UTSA and UTEP......dem markets doh.......it worked so well for the CUSA!

Now you're getting silly.
05-06-2016 10:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.