Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Will NIU Switch conference (away from the MAC and to another conference - not just the Big 12) in the next 5 years?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is this the time for NIU football to move?
Bookmark and Share
Mark26pt2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
Exclamation Is this the time for NIU football to move?
05-05-2016 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

RE: Is this the time for NIU football to move?
I like this article, and it's not surprising that the local media understands the college landscape and that the MAC probably isn't the best place to be long term. You're either moving up or your dying. So obviously I want NIU to move to a different, more competitive conference we will just have to see what happens.

Alright MD, let's hear about how the MAC is the best conference in country.....
05-05-2016 12:12 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(05-05-2016 12:12 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  I like this article, and it's not surprising that the local media understands the college landscape and that the MAC probably isn't the best place to be long term. You're either moving up or your dying. So obviously I want NIU to move to a different, more competitive conference we will just have to see what happens.

Alright MD, let's hear about how the MAC is the best conference in country.....
#AACorBust

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
05-05-2016 12:15 PM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
If someone other than Sun-belt offers, Huskies should accept. MAC is better option than independent.
05-05-2016 01:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(05-05-2016 01:05 PM)Huskie_Jon Wrote:  If someone other than Sun-belt offers, Huskies should accept. MAC is better option than independent.
Or CUSA. That's a sinking ship BIG TIME

05-05-2016 01:15 PM
Mark26pt2 Offline
Special Teams

(05-05-2016 01:15 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 01:05 PM)Huskie_Jon Wrote:  If someone other than Sun-belt offers, Huskies should accept. MAC is better option than independent.
Or CUSA. That's a sinking ship BIG TIME

Definitely not CUSA or Sun Belt
05-05-2016 01:18 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-05-2016 12:07 PM)Mark26pt2 Wrote:  Interesting article from CBS

Where Does NIU Fit If Conference Dominoes Start Falling Again?

"The drawback for Northern Illinois leaving the MAC would be leaving Tuesday and Wednesday night MACtion behind in November. You would forget all of that in the Big 12"

Drawback? Drawback???
03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
05-05-2016 01:20 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

As far as is this the time for NIU to move...its now or never.

NIU football is either going to sneak in before the door is closed or be left behind to die a relatively quick death due to increased expenses on top of reduced funding from the University without much help from the alums or locals who don't care that much about MAC sports.
05-05-2016 01:24 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(05-05-2016 01:20 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 12:07 PM)Mark26pt2 Wrote:  Interesting article from CBS

Where Does NIU Fit If Conference Dominoes Start Falling Again?

"The drawback for Northern Illinois leaving the MAC would be leaving Tuesday and Wednesday night MACtion behind in November. You would forget all of that in the Big 12"

Drawback? Drawback???
03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
How terrible it'd be to play Thurs and Sat nationally televised games in the AAC over these MACtion games!!!

05-05-2016 01:26 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Right now we fit best in the MAC. AAC would be a stretch but probably worth it if we ever got an offer. He's dreaming if he thinks the Big 12 would be interested.
05-05-2016 02:52 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(05-05-2016 02:52 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Right now we fit best in the MAC. AAC would be a stretch but probably worth it if we ever got an offer. He's dreaming if he thinks the Big 12 would be interested.
Why does everyone say "it'd be a stretch for the AAC"? It wouldn't. Their commissioner is obsessed with bringing in new and big markets. Chicago is that, and NIU brings access to it. I can promise you there has been interest from both parties, and not just "eh, we'll see if no one else looks promising"...

The budget crisis won't last forever, and everyone saying our revenue will suffer doesn't realize the additional resources we'd have in the AAC. Not to mention better exposure (Thurs night and Sat games) and in better locations too (Florida schools, texas, new orleans, etc)

(This post was last modified: 05-05-2016 03:00 PM by Stay Cool.)
05-05-2016 02:58 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(05-05-2016 02:58 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 02:52 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Right now we fit best in the MAC. AAC would be a stretch but probably worth it if we ever got an offer. He's dreaming if he thinks the Big 12 would be interested.
Why does everyone say "it'd be a stretch for the AAC"? It wouldn't. Their commissioner is obsessed with bringing in new and big markets. Chicago is that, and NIU brings access to it. I can promise you there has been interest from both parties, and not just "eh, we'll see if no one else looks promising"...

The budget crisis won't last forever, and everyone saying our revenue will suffer doesn't realize the additional resources we'd have in the AAC. Not to mention better exposure (Thurs night and Sat games) and in better locations too (Florida schools, texas, new orleans, etc)

If we were in the AAC, Chicago would notice us slightly more, but not much, IMO. We would get some extra resources and I think the move would be worth it. I voted we wouldn't move, because I don't think we'll get the invite.
05-05-2016 03:14 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline

the way I see it, you have to try SOMETHING. If hitching our wagon to the AAC assuming one or two of their teams leave for the B12 doesn't work out, well it's not like the MAC is going to outlive this thing either. Whether you like it or not, the AAC is a step above the MAC, so you have to take the chance...even the MWC is a step above. CUSA, the Sun Belt, they are on even playing ground as the MAC. So you take your chances and try to survive in major college sports if you can. If you stay in the MAC you might as well go the way of Idaho.

College sports...it's over.....they won lol.
05-05-2016 03:57 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-05-2016 03:57 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  the way I see it, you have to try SOMETHING. If hitching our wagon to the AAC assuming one or two of their teams leave for the B12 doesn't work out, well it's not like the MAC is going to outlive this thing either. Whether you like it or not, the AAC is a step above the MAC, so you have to take the chance...even the MWC is a step above. CUSA, the Sun Belt, they are on even playing ground as the MAC. So you take your chances and try to survive in major college sports if you can. If you stay in the MAC you might as well go the way of Idaho.

+1 AAC
05-05-2016 05:28 PM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(05-05-2016 05:28 PM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 03:57 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  the way I see it, you have to try SOMETHING. If hitching our wagon to the AAC assuming one or two of their teams leave for the B12 doesn't work out, well it's not like the MAC is going to outlive this thing either. Whether you like it or not, the AAC is a step above the MAC, so you have to take the chance...even the MWC is a step above. CUSA, the Sun Belt, they are on even playing ground as the MAC. So you take your chances and try to survive in major college sports if you can. If you stay in the MAC you might as well go the way of Idaho.

+1 AAC

AAC AAC AAC
05-05-2016 06:09 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

+1 AAC

(05-05-2016 06:09 PM)NIUSox10 Wrote:  

+1 AAC

AAC AAC AAC
SAY IT LOUD, SAY IT PROUD FOLKS!!! THE FUTURE OF NIU ATHLETICS IS COMING AND IT'S SPELLED

A
A
C!!!

05-05-2016 06:22 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
I think Matt has it right. The Big 12 would be the only move to make sense. Let's wait and see what happens. What I fear though is NIU football is headed the wrong way with the current coaching staff
05-05-2016 08:16 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(05-05-2016 08:16 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  I think Matt has it right. The Big 12 would be the only move to make sense. Let's wait and see what happens. What I fear though is NIU football is headed the wrong way with the current coaching staff

I always thought that someday NIU would have a chance of growing into the Big 12. However I believe that it would take a major financial commitment from the state of Illinois to put us in a position to make the move. Sadly given the current state of the state I do not see it happening any time soon.
05-05-2016 08:41 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline

05-05-2016 08:41 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Is this the time for NIU football to move?
I just saw Stay Cool in a Illini hoodie
05-05-2016 08:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.